Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I will be voting yes but personally don't like footballers telling others what to do with a referendum. How about you just leave people to decide for themselves, and stick to playing football.
Can't agree with this take, he shouldn't be banned from speaking his mind just because he's a person from note.

Alex Pearce should speak on any issue he is passionate about, as publicly as he is comfortable to.

But I also hope he got some of that Yes23 money for it because he took a pay cut to sign on with us and I want him to have a really relaxing off season with a great holiday so he can come back before Christmas back to his best.

A real nugget of gold from Barrett in his Sliding Doors section today. Apparently he rates Serong (suspended for a dangerous tackle in round 17) as a Brownlow wildcard 😂
I could say that stranger things have happened, but the AFL being what they are it won’t happen.

I’ve said before that Caleb will poll well in the Brownlow but given that we lost so many games at the start of the season it’s unlikely it will be high enough to win it. I expect him to be up in top 10 or maybe the top 5 group though.

Alex Pearce should speak on any issue he is passionate about, as publicly as he is comfortable to.

But I also hope he got some of that Yes23 money for it because he took a pay cut to sign on with us and I want him to have a really relaxing off season with a great holiday so he can come back before Christmas back to his best.
His body is permanently cooked. Losing the captaincy will improve his game but don't have high hopes.

His body is permanently cooked. Losing the captaincy will improve his game but don't have high hopes.
If his body is cooked, he still managed to play some terrific games this season for us.

I think he will be Captain again next season. The players seem to have no problem with his leadership. If he isn’t Captain I suspect it will be because he has elected not to be in the running.

That's a bit extreme, I'm just hoping he doesn't have a preseason where the medical team tried rest and the various grumbly parts of his body haven't settled down so he spends the first half of preseason in rehab from surgery that could have been performed this week.

If his body is cooked, he still managed to play some terrific games this season for us.

I think he will be Captain again next season. The players seem to have no problem with his leadership. If he isn’t Captain I suspect it will be because he has elected not to be in the running.
Alex has had a few great games but don't sugar coat it, his season was below par and that's putting it mildly. The guy can't play without getting jabbed. Also I respect Alex but he is a terrible captain. He provides no onfield leadership and doesn't train with the boys.

Alex has had a few great games but don't sugar coat it, his season was below par and that's putting it mildly. The guy can't play without getting jabbed. Also I respect Alex but he is a terrible captain. He provides no onfield leadership and doesn't train with the boys.
Tell me how you qualify that he provides "no onfield leadership"? Actually how do you qualify that he's such a terrible captain? given he was voted into said position by all his peers.....

To be fair, Moose explicitly says he’s not trying to tell people how to vote. He’s just saying why not, rather than voting no if you don’t know, find out a bit instead.

Which seems fair enough.

The biggest mistake the yes crowd have made is to allow a catchy phrase to grow legs and feed on ignorance.

You can’t put a stack of administrative detail in the constitution. Let people know how the details will be dealt with. Simply and effectively.

And then get on with the business of living in the 21st ****ing century.

Moose had the second most goals kicked on him of all the key defenders in the league, but his body failed him and he kept playing through it. When he is fit, look out.
I find this stat hard to take seriously in the modern game, given players rarely play directly on an opponent. So often there's players simply playing a zone and guarding space, not a specific opponent. Also, if the mids are off and allowing easy supply, the backs never have a chance anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find this stat hard to take seriously in the modern game, given players rarely play directly on an opponent. So often there's players simply playing a zone and guarding space, not a specific opponent. Also, if the mids are off and allowing easy supply, the backs never have a chance anyway.
Yeah the top 5 of that stat all played for teams that were bad at defending transition, leaving their defenders in alot more one on ones.

When Serong and Brayshaw talked about having hard conversations reviewing games, I expect this is exactly what they are referring to. Nobody kicks a goal by themselves, nobody has a goal kicked on them in isolation.

Unless we have a superstar ruck who can literally take the ball out of the air, run forward and slot it from 60m out, where nobody else touches the ball it is a team outcome.

And you're right. We needed to win the ball out of the middle and secure the field position better with clearance and marks between the arcs.

I can understand this POV but there’s a balance I reckon. Your position absolves individual defenders of blame too much IMO and lets them off the hook a bit.
Based on the eye test - Pearce had some absolute shockers this year and I can remember several clanger moments he had that could not remotely be blamed on anyone else out the field. The one on one defending isn’t the biggest concern I have though, it’s that he is a terrible kick of the footy. Now, in isolation that’s ok if everyone else is good. But Hughes is also terrible and at times we have had a 3rd bad kick in hamling on the park. The critical mass is then Exceeded. They should never all be on the pitch together.
In summary pearce is a useful defender with limitations. At his best he’s a great stopper of big monster KPF. Surround him with good to elite kicks and we can get away with him just fine.

Moose’s comments and dialogue is absolutely relevant and acceptable.
He has a voice and he is saying to make an informed decision - read up and be informed .
He is showing true leadership as someone in a prominent position - his opinion on how to assess and make an informed decision is in my opinion one that is respectful and important for him to make comment on.

Ignorance is bliss - so the saying goes….
Some people use this term and and live by it literally, information in and asking or questioning oneself is liberating - ignorance is arrogance….

It’s a YES from me, but I don’t think any less of someone who is in the no camp, just please validate your own conscience and thoughts…..

I can understand this POV but there’s a balance I reckon. Your position absolves individual defenders of blame too much IMO and lets them off the hook a bit.
Based on the eye test - Pearce had some absolute shockers this year and I can remember several clanger moments he had that could not remotely be blamed on anyone else out the field. The one on one defending isn’t the biggest concern I have though, it’s that he is a terrible kick of the footy. Now, in isolation that’s ok if everyone else is good. But Hughes is also terrible and at times we have had a 3rd bad kick in hamling on the park. The critical mass is then Exceeded. They should never all be on the pitch together.
In summary pearce is a useful defender with limitations. At his best he’s a great stopper of big monster KPF. Surround him with good to elite kicks and we can get away with him just fine.
Funnily enough I reckon Pearce's best games (defensively speaking), came when Hamling was playing as well. Overall our ball movement didn't really suffer then either but I think the whole team picked up in this regard.

I'm certainly not obsolving individuals of blame, but to quantify is not like the old days where you simply look at how many goals were kicked on a fella. That stat doesn't really hold much anymore.

I also remember him having plenty of bad moments this year, but also a heap of great moments as well - symptomatic of the team. I think our defense was put under a lot of pressure this year though by poor midfield efforts, where supply coming into D50 was excessive.

I'm probably a bit more of a Pearce fan than not. I think he's hugely valuable to our defense. No one else in the team is that tall and that quick. I think our defense was a bit hard done by this year with some of the effort upfield.

Can't agree with this take, he shouldn't be banned from speaking his mind just because he's a person from note.
Obviously it's fine to voice your opinion and tell people why you are voting "yes". I don' think he should tell others how they should vote, and, more broadly, I don't think politics should be intertwined with sport.

I'm certainly not obsolving individuals of blame, but to quantify is not like the old days where you simply look at how many goals were kicked on a fella. That stat doesn't really hold much anymore.

I also remember him having plenty of bad moments this year, but also a heap of great moments as well - symptomatic of the team. I think our defense was put under a lot of pressure this year though by poor midfield efforts, where supply coming into D50 was excessive.

I'm probably a bit more of a Pearce fan than not. I think he's hugely valuable to our defense. No one else in the team is that tall and that quick. I think our defense was a bit hard done by this year with some of the effort upfield.
I think Pearce is a solid B grader. Don’t mind him on the team longer term, but if we could somehow swap him out for Sam Taylor in 2025 when Taylor is a FA - now that would be a move that improves us as a team.
In fact, to actually keep up with the top sides who are constantly improving their team when they are in their flag window, we quite frankly have to make personnel moves like that.
Not saying we need to make this particular move but it’s an example.

Brisbane were not happy with Jarryd Lyons - they went and replaced him with Josh Dunkley AFTER making a prelim final. Replaced Rich with Conor McKenna.
Now Rayner, Bailey, Gunston and McCarthy are scrapping for three spots on the forward line between 4 quality players. That kind of thing puts you in GF and in a position to win flags.

Collingwood were not happy with making a prelim final last year - went and got McStay and Hill, and now 41-goal-in-2022 man Jack Ginnivan can’t get a game.

Sydney are not happy with Tom Hickey - they are going to upgrade to Brodie Grundy.
Geelong have been doing it for years. The list goes on.

We are doing nothing like that this off season and that’s fine.
That decision will be judged next season by how much we improve.
What is becoming apparent though is that once you say finish top 5 or 4 and make a prelim, you gotta go all in the following seasons. If you stand still at the top of the ladder you quickly fall behind.
It’s nearly impossible to win the flag without a lot of successful trading.

Obviously it's fine to voice your opinion and tell people why you are voting "yes". I don' think he should tell others how they should vote, and, more broadly, I don't think politics should be intertwined with sport.
Why not? His opinion is as valid as anyone else. Just because he's a public figure doesn't mean he doesn't get to give us his opinion on things.

Funnily enough I reckon Pearce's best games (defensively speaking), came when Hamling was playing as well. Overall our ball movement didn't really suffer then either but I think the whole team picked up in this regard.
Agree, as odd as it is, I thought at the time Pearce played more decisively when Hamling was covering the second tall / deep defence. Hamling is excellent one on one and gets his job done - I was pleasantly surprised how he slotted in as seamlessly as he did at this level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back