Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, as odd as it is, I thought at the time Pearce played more decisively when Hamling was covering the second tall / deep defence. Hamling is excellent one on one and gets his job done - I was pleasantly surprised how he slotted in as seamlessly as he did at this level.
My only theory is with Hamling playing so close-checking (as opposed to say Cox who plays alot looser), Pearce played with alot more confidence that things were safe behind him.

My only theory is with Hamling playing so close-checking (as opposed to say Cox who plays alot looser), Pearce played with alot more confidence that things were safe behind him.

It looked to me that Hamling played Pearce's role and Pearce went to play the role Cox vacated, which is why Pearce was taking marks around the edge of the defensive fifty where Cox usually does when he plays.

Why not? His opinion is as valid as anyone else. Just because he's a public figure doesn't mean he doesn't get to give us his opinion on things.
Like I said, I don't have a problem with him voicing his opinion. I have a problem with him telling others which way to vote. There is a difference.
I don't think anyone should tell another person how they should vote. I also don't believe atheists should be telling people to not believe in God, and I don't think Christians should be telling people to believe in God.
Just let people read, learn, and make decisions for themselves. I will be voting yes by the way, and think the voice is a great step in the right direction for reconciliation, and giving indigenous people greater power in parliament.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with him voicing his opinion. I have a problem with him telling others which way to vote. There is a difference.
I don't think anyone should tell another person how they should vote. I also don't believe atheists should be telling people to not believe in God, and I don't think Christians should be telling people to believe in God.
Just let people read, learn, and make decisions for themselves. I will be voting yes by the way, and think the voice is a great step in the right direction for reconciliation, and giving indigenous people greater power in parliament.
So if he says "I'm voting yes because reasons" it's ok but if he says "you should vote yes because reasons" it's not ok?

On Alex Pearce the footballer. He's not really an attacking defender, and his main attribute was always to negate key forwards. If he really has the second most goals kicked on him for any KD last year, you start to question his position in the team. (Captaincy or not).

I think Pearce is a solid B grader. Don’t mind him on the team longer term, but if we could somehow swap him out for Sam Taylor in 2025 when Taylor is a FA - now that would be a move that improves us as a team.
In fact, to actually keep up with the top sides who are constantly improving their team when they are in their flag window, we quite frankly have to make personnel moves like that.
Not saying we need to make this particular move but it’s an example.

Brisbane were not happy with Jarryd Lyons - they went and replaced him with Josh Dunkley AFTER making a prelim final. Replaced Rich with Conor McKenna.
Now Rayner, Bailey, Gunston and McCarthy are scrapping for three spots on the forward line between 4 quality players. That kind of thing puts you in GF and in a position to win flags.

Collingwood were not happy with making a prelim final last year - went and got McStay and Hill, and now 41-goal-in-2022 man Jack Ginnivan can’t get a game.

Sydney are not happy with Tom Hickey - they are going to upgrade to Brodie Grundy.
Geelong have been doing it for years. The list goes on.

We are doing nothing like that this off season and that’s fine.
That decision will be judged next season by how much we improve.
What is becoming apparent though is that once you say finish top 5 or 4 and make a prelim, you gotta go all in the following seasons. If you stand still at the top of the ladder you quickly fall behind.
It’s nearly impossible to win the flag without a lot of successful trading.
Sam Taylor is pretty much the best young key defender in the league. They don't grow on trees.

Sam Taylor is pretty much the best young key defender in the league. They don't grow on trees.
I know he is but he’s from WA.
It appears to be the only small competitive advantage we have over the rest of the league. Luke Jackson would not be playing for us if he grew up in Gippsland.
If there’s a chance to bring in an elite WA player then we should do it. There may not be of course.

I saw that had had a chuckle alright.
Absolute classic example of how much people think or care about freo in Melbourne. Our B&F is ineligible for the Brownlow yet the AFLs chief media writer is talking up his chances.
Only freo. There is no way Barrett would not be aware he is ineligible if he played for a medium or high profile club.
There’s also a write up on the AFL website about Serong’s Doig Medal win where he is referred to as co-captain.
The level of ignorance is astounding but not in the slightest bit surprising. Imagine how little they’d know if he wasn’t a Victorian to start with.

I wish as a club we would stay out of politics. As for Pearce, there may be three or four number 1 KPD that I would choose him over in the league. When he is fit that number was 10-12 which is the range of player we need him to be again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alex has had a few great games but don't sugar coat it, his season was below par and that's putting it mildly. The guy can't play without getting jabbed. Also I respect Alex but he is a terrible captain. He provides no onfield leadership and doesn't train with the boys.
And yet the players have been effusive about his leadership and supportive of his Captaincy.

And yet the players have been effusive about his leadership and supportive of his Captaincy.
Yeah because players are definitely going to come out during the year and say they don't back Pearce in front of the cameras.

He literally doesn't train with the boys. How can you captain a side if you don't train with them. If you want a textbook example of what a leader is look at Serong and Brayshaw. They were the first players to congratulate our draftees and the first to invite them over for dinner. They also are happy to speak to the crowds at training and take photos whereas Pearce barely acknowledges the supporters. Would you follow Pearce into battle when he trips over his own feet and gets bags kicked on him?

Last edited:
Yeah because players are definitely going to come out during the year and say they don't back him in front of the cameras.

He literally doesn't train with the boys. How can you captain a side if you don't train with them. If you want a textbook example of what a leader is look at Serong and Brayshaw. They were the first players to congratulate our draftees and the first to invite them over dinner.
And either of Serong or Brayshaw will make an outstanding Captain when their time comes.

Personally I’m pleased that the players spoke out publicly and defended Alex. That’s what you expect and hope they would do, particularly when they became aware that the media and/or fans were criticising him.

The players elected him after all and they demonstrated right there and then that they owned that decision.

It’s quite possible the players do like Pearce and want him to remain as captain. But what do you expect them to say when asked about his captaincy?

“Nah mate, I think he’s a shit captain would rather someone different”

“Yeah nah Moose is good and all but I’d prefer Andy or Caleb myself”

It’s quite possible the players do like Pearce and want him to remain as captain. But what do you expect them to say when asked about his captaincy?

“Nah mate, I think he’s a s**t captain would rather someone different”

“Yeah nah Moose is good and all but I’d prefer Andy or Caleb myself”
OR maybe they could’ve stayed silent and let people draw their own conclusion about their true opinion of their leader. They would know that the white noise dies down eventually.

The players elected not to stay silent.

OR maybe they could’ve stayed silent and let people draw their own conclusion about their true opinion of their leader. They would know that the white noise dies down eventually.

The players elected not to stay silent.
If the players stay silent, then the media, loking for a story, will then say that the players don't want so and so as their skipper.
The media can never lose, the parasites.

Then they should have voted that way when they had the opportunity.

This. People keep forgetting that the players voted for him. They obviously see something day in day out that we don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back