Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If you have Fox/Kayo, Joey picked out some stats that give us a good pump on 360 tonight.

Basically, we have the 3rd best "profile" as it stands behind the Swans and Lions.

Edit: I don't recommend watching the whole show though. From the bit I saw Robbo has added a bit of senility to his rambling.

Last edited:
If you have Fox/Kayo, Joey picked out some stats that give us a good pump on 360 tonight.

Basically, we have the 3rd best "profile" as it stands behind the Swans and Lions.

Edit: I don't recommend watching the whole show though. From the bit I saw Robbo has added a bit of senility to his rambling.
A bit? He just volunteered Scott Pendulbury as his choice for inaugral coach of Tasmania

Astute. I apologise for the utterly subjective ramblings to follow but I feel like I've sort of seen this from afar. From what I've seen it's very much tied to especially 2015 - The Prelim that kinda broke that spirit. Every home game and final, at least through the T.V., always had a feeling to it, an atmosphere. But that was a grind. After the electric start to 2015 we had quite a few wet weather games.

The combination of a laborious gamestyle, heavy legs from heavy track, lots of old legs, some damning losses and very uninspiring wins, key injuries piling up and a shared certainty that that was our last chance for quite some time: There was a genuine panic and a mania that set in. The difference between late 2015 crowds and 2013 crowds wouldn't have been obvious to the neutral and uninitiated but it felt like a tidal wave of anxiety. I remember this board was a bit of a miserable place to be because there was this heavy impending feeling of dread...a cliff. 2013 felt new, exciting, it felt like those 04-06 crowds where there was expectation yet genuine exploration: We were in uncharted territory and we couldn't wait to see what happened next.

That Sydney QF win was a weird feeling. It didn't feel like Freo won a final: It felt like we stretched a rubber band further than we ever had before. Hands down the least joy I've ever experienced from watching a finals win. But that prelim...the first 10 minutes felt like a wave building to a massive crescendo until some rather unfortunate umpiring and even more unfortunate goal kicking lead to that Sutcliffe kick across goal to Sheridan with Cyril bearing down on him...our time was gone and it broke us.

What's worse was how hastily we tried to fix things. We kept trying to bring in the next big recruits topping up with some astute drafting. But the on field performance was just so...meh. Personally I've never felt a season quite as dire as 2018: Every win felt like it was predictable. Outside of the first derby we never felt like we were close to jagging a game we weren't supposed to. Each game was mostly low scoring and kept at arms length (or belted off the park).

We're finally now at a point where we've developed into quite a strong position for now and the future and there is this feeling again...but there's a LOT of conditioning to overcome before that culture/atmosphere fully explodes again. We just can't quite get there yet despite there being some clear signs that we're building. We can't trust yet...but we're getting there. That 2022 final saw glimmers of that old atmosphere.

If we can finish the season strong and somehow, someway squeeze into Top 4 I reckon we'll see quite a bit of that rabid Freo frenzy at whatever final we host. Or really, the next time (whenever that may be in the short or far flung future) we make the Top 4.
Yep 2015 Prelim final broke me.
Remember sitting in my seat after the game for ages. Just gutted. McFarlane walked from the change rooms onto the ground and then down the exit race and he was in tears.

Astute. I apologise for the utterly subjective ramblings to follow but I feel like I've sort of seen this from afar. From what I've seen it's very much tied to especially 2015 - The Prelim that kinda broke that spirit. Every home game and final, at least through the T.V., always had a feeling to it, an atmosphere. But that was a grind. After the electric start to 2015 we had quite a few wet weather games.

The combination of a laborious gamestyle, heavy legs from heavy track, lots of old legs, some damning losses and very uninspiring wins, key injuries piling up and a shared certainty that that was our last chance for quite some time: There was a genuine panic and a mania that set in. The difference between late 2015 crowds and 2013 crowds wouldn't have been obvious to the neutral and uninitiated but it felt like a tidal wave of anxiety. I remember this board was a bit of a miserable place to be because there was this heavy impending feeling of dread...a cliff. 2013 felt new, exciting, it felt like those 04-06 crowds where there was expectation yet genuine exploration: We were in uncharted territory and we couldn't wait to see what happened next.

That Sydney QF win was a weird feeling. It didn't feel like Freo won a final: It felt like we stretched a rubber band further than we ever had before. Hands down the least joy I've ever experienced from watching a finals win. But that prelim...the first 10 minutes felt like a wave building to a massive crescendo until some rather unfortunate umpiring and even more unfortunate goal kicking lead to that Sutcliffe kick across goal to Sheridan with Cyril bearing down on him...our time was gone and it broke us.

What's worse was how hastily we tried to fix things. We kept trying to bring in the next big recruits topping up with some astute drafting. But the on field performance was just so...meh. Personally I've never felt a season quite as dire as 2018: Every win felt like it was predictable. Outside of the first derby we never felt like we were close to jagging a game we weren't supposed to. Each game was mostly low scoring and kept at arms length (or belted off the park).

We're finally now at a point where we've developed into quite a strong position for now and the future and there is this feeling again...but there's a LOT of conditioning to overcome before that culture/atmosphere fully explodes again. We just can't quite get there yet despite there being some clear signs that we're building. We can't trust yet...but we're getting there. That 2022 final saw glimmers of that old atmosphere.

If we can finish the season strong and somehow, someway squeeze into Top 4 I reckon we'll see quite a bit of that rabid Freo frenzy at whatever final we host. Or really, the next time (whenever that may be in the short or far flung future) we make the Top 4.
Very good post as someone that lives on the east away from AFL media.

It's very hard to tell what the hype actually is about Freo.

I agree 2015 hurt more then the Granny.

Basically 2013 was hard but at the same time felt like an achievement Fremantle had made it to a GF. Like seriously who would have thought. And we gave it everything that day and lost no admirers.

2015 I think like everyone felt it was our last shot. I think getting off to a flyer and winning our first 9 games really had us dreaming really can we do it.

But I think deep down as the season wore on I found it harder to picture us winning the cup. Failing to even make the GF I couldn't even watch the following week.

I went to work.

It was so hard because we were on top from Round 3 onwards and couldn't even make the GF. If not then when.

I didn't expect the tumble to a 4 win season though next year.

Good post, I remember walking out of Subi after the Swans QF and it was like a funeral. From memory Buddy withdrew the finals that year at the eleventh hour due to … reasons. The Swans also kicked extremely inaccurately in that game, we held on by our fingernails and the last quarter was torture.

I remember the cope in the back end of the 2015 season was that we were in a holding pattern because Ross was holding back some “secret gameplan” that was going to blow everyone away in finals

I love it when someone else watches it before I subject myself to it

I love it when someone else watches it before I subject myself to it
It's the only segment of 360 I ever watch and I forgot about this week until there was a youtube clip for it.

I'm not brave enough to sit through the actual show. Boggles the mind that Robbo gets to talk on television for 5 hours a week. I wouldn't listen to his opinion if I was 9 drinks in at the pub.

It's the only segment of 360 I ever watch and I forgot about this week until there was a youtube clip for it.

I'm not brave enough to sit through the actual show. Boggles the mind that Robbo gets to talk on television for 5 hours a week. I wouldn't listen to his opinion if I was 9 drinks in at the pub.
i am amused at how little he prepares for the show - started talking about the heeney decision right at his intro for the show not realising it was segment 2.

Basically 2013 was hard but at the same time felt like an achievement Fremantle had made it to a GF. Like seriously who would have thought. And we gave it everything that day and lost no admirers.

2015 I think like everyone felt it was our last shot. I think getting off to a flyer and winning our first 9 games really had us dreaming really can we do it.

But I think deep down as the season wore on I found it harder to picture us winning the cup. Failing to even make the GF I couldn't even watch the following week.

I went to work.

It was so hard because we were on top from Round 3 onwards and couldn't even make the GF. If not then when.

Round 1 2016 I was at Marvel watching us take on the dogs, that was equally as deflating because you knew the season was over half way into round 1 we were that bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to work.

People act like the Lyon premiership window was open until 2017 but we were utterly ****ed half way through 2015. club finished top because of the first half of the season but that first half was the absolute last twists and squeezes of an already used lemon, lime, whatever.

Round 1 2016 I was at Marvel watching us take on the dogs, that was equally as deflating because you knew the season was over half way into round 1 we were that bad.
I remember this game too, one of the last open roof games they would have held at Marvel. Johannissen is a player I do not rate but he tore us a new one.

Since you haven't been to Australia, have you ever watched a footy game live?

The USAFL has teams in many states and holds a National championship each year. The top sides play a decent standard too.

I have actually. I volunteered to sell concessions at the USAFL Nationals back in 2019 when they played close to my house. It's definitely not AFL standard, but it was great to watch. That's the only time I've ever seen a game live. Someday I hope to see Freo in person...

All of the above and add not doing anything differently about the huge injuries problems. It was obvious that the system was broken.
It took far to long to replace Weber.
It sucked watching games with quarter of the team missing and more playing on one leg.

I can't take the opinions of someone who got into football at 24 seriously.

Like, I loosely follow a little bit of basketball but I never get into conversations about it because I got into it because I just liked when I visited the city of Milwaukee.

Lots of people pretend to be experts when their grasp is very loose.
People are able to feel like experts because they don't know how much they don't know.
You're not an expert until you know how much you don't know.
Fortunately you don't have to be an expert to have an opinion...or no Big Footy.

Given this thread is now about gatekeeping the fanbase, I remember hearing John McGlue on ABC radio say how if we won the flag in 2013 the only people allowed to appreciate the premiership were those who were there since the bad old days in the 90s.
Doubtlessly some people on here will agree.

Back onto the media, here's slobbo rambling on VFL360 about the shitrag West with no hint of irony or self awareness.

Given this thread is now about gatekeeping the fanbase, I remember driving along when John McGlue on ABC radio said how if we won the flag in 2013 the only people allowed to appreciate the premiership were those who were there since the bad old days in the 90s.
Doubtlessly some people on here will agree.

Back onto the media, here's slobbo rambling on VFL360 about the shitrag West with no hint of irony or self awareness.

I didn't like the way he blamed the WA public - he has no idea what we have had to put up with and about how we have been complaining about them for years

I have actually. I volunteered to sell concessions at the USAFL Nationals back in 2019 when they played close to my house. It's definitely not AFL standard, but it was great to watch. That's the only time I've ever seen a game live. Someday I hope to see Freo in person...
I still remember walking up to AT&T stadium for the first time ever being in awe after watching it on tv at 4am in the morning for 10 years (and being there on madden).

I thought recently while walking up to Optus, I bet there have been some that feel that walking here, only having watched Freo on tv prior. The things we take for granted eh.

I remember this game too, one of the last open roof games they would have held at Marvel. Johannissen is a player I do not rate but he tore us a new one.
Round 2 losing to GC at home was the realisation it was all over.

You always start each year with hope.

But losing to the Suns the following week the reality finally set in its over.

The fun of the past 4 years being up there with the contenders is done.

People act like the Lyon premiership window was open until 2017 but we were utterly ****ed half way through 2015. club finished top because of the first half of the season but that first half was the absolute last twists and squeezes of an already used lemon, lime, whatever.
It closed Prelim night 2015.

I was more nervous before that game then the GF.

I just had that sick feeling in my gut we weren't going to get there as much as you hope and pray.

We didnt play great at the backend of 2015 but still won 7 from 10 after the bye. And had GF experience from 2 years earlier.

I think the belief was though we could beat any team except Hawthorn. We just needed someone to do the dirty work for us.

Even with the home ground, week off & Hawks having to travel to Perth twice in 3 weeks wasn't enough and in the end i suppose we just weren't good enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back