Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:

Lachlan Voss from the Sandy Dragons? Has some talent but he needs to get on the park consistently. Been a rough few years on the injury front for him.
Main Draft then you’d expect?

Perfect fit for us.
We'll gather around the campfire and saviour some quarter for the ages he played at 16 before being injured.

He won't play in his first year with us but the hype will be palpable. Posters will mock other clubs for overlooking him. We'll discuss how he's pushed [insert senior player name] into being trade bait.

His 2nd year will feature a blistering 5 minute intraclub patch on a top up player. After 1 or 2 inconsequential VFL games between injury periods, he'll be delisted and go on to become a SANFL legend.

Search your feelings.

Amongst all our list holes we’ll have to take another ruck at some point.
If Xerri goes down we are completely screwed.
We have Free who will be gone at years end, Goad who isn’t physically ready and CCJ out for 12 months.
Sam Hayes already on the VFL list. Probably a good chance he's picked up to replace CCJ who would have been ahead of Free to replace Xerri if he went down.

We'll gather around the campfire and saviour some quarter for the ages he played at 16 before being injured.

He won't play in his first year with us but the hype will be palpable. Posters will mock other clubs for overlooking him. We'll discuss how he's pushed [insert senior player name] into being trade bait.

His 2nd year will feature a blistering 5 minute intraclub patch on a top up player. After 1 or 2 inconsequential VFL games between injury periods, he'll be delisted and go on to become a SANFL legend.

Search your feelings.
Lachlan Hosie just spat out his coffee.

You can put up odds of $1.01 that we’ll select someone of which is no use to us because he’s ’best available’.

An injury prone HFF who we’re confident can transition to the midfield is my early call.

You can put up odds of $1.01 that we’ll select someone of which is no use to us because he’s ’best available’.

An injury prone HFF who we’re confident can transition to the midfield is my early call.
Hawthorn's midseason draft strategy is called "let North Melbourne clear the landmines".

Hawthorn's midseason draft strategy is called "let North Melbourne clear the landmines".
Only because now the AFL changed the rules and Hawthorn had to evolve their strategy from “put a price on your head and tell other recruiters you only want to go to one place”.

Can someone tell me why Boyd Woodcock doesn’t get a go?

He’s racked up some pretty big numbers over the past couple of years in the VFL and started this season with 42 and 2 and 30 and 1.

I agree, he's a little bit stiff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone got updates on the SANFL vs VFL game?
Keen to see how Ned Long goes, Dixon another.

Kind of half watched it. Was busy looking after the kids but kept an eye on it.

Long was solid with 20 odd touches and 2 goals. He is definitely one I want to see more of, he has some AFL traits and obviously has a point of difference because of his height. Woodcock was probably best for the VFL, was good on the inside but his disposal let him down (and is probably the reason why he won’t get a gig at AFL level). Dom Brew was an animal with his pressure and tackling but that’s standard for him. Dixon hardly got a touch in the passages of play I watched. Garoni tried hard for the VFL, but lacked his usual sticky hands.

For the SANFL, Hosie was really good and looks to have added 4/5kg from his days with us, ultimately though he plays as an old lead out full forward and at his height he isn’t going to be able to do that at AFL level. He completed dominated Ex Roo Lachie Young though.

Jez McLennan (Ex Gold Coast listed) is definitely one to keep an eye on as a dashing half back. Used his skill and rebound to great effect and looked a class above in what was a very scrappy game. Ended up being BOG I’m pretty sure. Casey Voss was also pretty solid for the crow eaters.

Long was solid with 20 odd touches and 2 goals. He is definitely one I want to see more of, he has some AFL traits and obviously has a point of difference because of his height. Woodcock was probably best for the VFL, was good on the inside but his disposal let him down (and is probably the reason why he won’t get a gig at AFL level). Dom Brew was an animal with his pressure and tackling but that’s standard for him. Dixon hardly got a touch in the passages of play I watched. Garoni tried hard for the VFL, but lacked his usual sticky hands.

For the SANFL, Hosie was really good and looks to have added 4/5kg from his days with us, ultimately though he plays as an old lead out full forward and at his height he isn’t going to be able to do that at AFL level. He completed dominated Ex Roo Lachie Young though.

Jez McLennan (Ex Gold Coast listed) is definitely one to keep an eye on as a dashing half back. Used his skill and rebound to great effect and looked a class above in what was a very scrappy game. Ended up being BOG I’m pretty sure. Casey Voss was also pretty solid for the crow eaters.

Cheers mate, I’m on the Long wagon. He’s started the year very well.

How does McLennan defend? We need to find a way eventually to get Sheezel and Kerch through the midfield.

Cheers mate, I’m on the Long wagon. He’s started the year very well.

How does McLennan defend? We need to find a way eventually to get Sheezel and Kerch through the midfield.

I’ll hopefully get to watch a few games of Long’s in the next few weeks. For a big body he moves well.

McLennan spent a fair bit of time on Lowson and Bianco who had minimal impact. I can’t definitively say he is a gun lockdown player, but based on todays game he was solid. Good aerially and good at ground balls when they were coming in hot.

Thank you….l like the sound of Brew…the words consistent and standards come to mind….and McLennan …be interesting to see how they progress…any other SA boys catch your eye…cheers.

Thank you….l like the sound of Brew…the words consistent and standards come to mind….and McLennan …be interesting to see how they progress…any other SA boys catch your eye…cheers.

Brew is a defensive beast. Think he has been the VFL leading tackler a couple of times over the last 3/4 years. He is a good contested player too, but unfortunately doesn’t have an athletic point of difference that would hold him in good stead at AFL level. He has been a bloody good VFL player for a long period of time though.

Harry Grant was one of SA’s best, another tough inside midfielder, would have to see more of him to know if he has enough tools for AFL. Mitch O’Neil and Riley Knight were good through the midfield too.

My boy Jackson Callow played as a traditional CHF and clunked a few nice marks.

Brew is a defensive beast. Think he has been the VFL leading tackler a couple of times over the last 3/4 years. He is a good contested player too, but unfortunately doesn’t have an athletic point of difference that would hold him in good stead at AFL level. He has been a bloody good VFL player for a long period of time though.

Harry Grant was one of SA’s best, another tough inside midfielder, would have to see more of him to know if he has enough tools for AFL. Mitch O’Neil and Riley Knight were good through the midfield too.

My boy Jackson Callow played as a traditional CHF and clunked a few nice marks.

Cheers …good to know…..be interesting to see how these progress during the year….and if we should consider .

North VFL listed boys Cooper Lord and Cooper Trembath played yesterday as overagers in the Sandy Vs Eastern game.

Lord was one of the best for Sandy, playing through the midfield. Had 27 disposals and 7 marks.

Trembath was once again solid in defence as an intercept marking threat. Had 14 disposals, 6 marks and 5 rebound 50’s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back