Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to draft three (and that can include upgrading a rookie) as per the rules so something will have to give.
Goodbye to this lad
The pink artist reference went over Shinboner magics head in the other thread seems we need to be more obvious
Pink Afl GIF by North Melbourne FC

This mentions it.

Ok cool, that actually confirms what I said.

"The three live picks can include promoted rookies (before or after the national draft), national draft picks and pre-season draft selections".

We need to make one more spot on our senior list.

BTW Mofra posted Hannaford's Vic combine results in the draft forum.

Interesting mixed bag.

Height 180.1
Vertical jump 66
VJ Right 86
VJ Left 69
5mtr 1.077
10mtr 1.775
20mtr 2.954
Agility 7.922
2KM 7.26

I'm no expert, so feel free to correct me, but that looks like elite agility and burst speed, so-so vert, and shithouse endurance.

Absolutely elite agility.

Fantastic speed and vertical.

Really poor endurance. Especially for his size. Hes essentially getting lapped by the best runners in only a 2km with that time, or lapped about 4 times in a 5km

Ok cool, that actually confirms what I said.

"The three live picks can include promoted rookies (before or after the national draft), national draft picks and pre-season draft selections".

We need to make one more spot on our senior list.
Rookie draft = psd.
Same thing for this.

Rookie draft = psd.
Same thing for this.

Not sure on that mate, the PSD is senior list, it's just the same day as the RD because it's rarely used. They separate the rookie draft as it is supplementary. That's why that article says the three listings can be rookie upgrades and PSD picks and doesn't mention rookie draft picks.

Really poor endurance. Especially for his size. Hes essentially getting lapped by the best runners in only a 2km with that time, or lapped about 4 times in a 5km
Lapped? Its not awesome TT result but its 3.5 minutes a KM. Lapped is an exaggeration. Doesnt Sharp have the record at 5:30 or something?

I wish we'd cleared more space for some later national draft selections. Sick of all these ****ing top 10 draft picks swanning around. Plus its the deepest/most even draft in years, some real Larkey/Zurhaar/Parker type bargains coming up and we're going to miss out on all of them.

Lapped? Its not awesome TT result but its 3.5 minutes a KM. Lapped is an exaggeration. Doesnt Sharp have the record at 5:30 or something?

Im basing it off most of the best runners each year running just under 6 min 2km's.

5:50 2km = 5.71m/s
7:23 2km = 4.51m/s

5:50 = 350 seconds.

350 seconds @ 4.51m/s = 1580m

He'd get lapped 97m before the finish line on a 400m running circuit if they run tight to lane 1.

He gets lapped even on the old Docklands combine circuit, which was 409.12 meters per lap, which is the equivalent to running an athletic track in lane 2 for the duration. However the finish line was adjusted.

Sharp puts almost 1.5 laps (558m) on him with his record time (5:28).

5:28 is ridiculously quick though, Finn O'Sullivan would have only just beat him into to his last lap by 22m to prevent getting lapped himself based on this years combine.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish we'd cleared more space for some later national draft selections. Sick of all these ****ing top 10 draft picks swanning around. Plus its the deepest/most even draft in years, some real Larkey/Zurhaar/Parker type bargains coming up and we're going to miss out on all of them.
We don't know what offers will be thrown at us for pick 2 and our futures as we get closer to draft day.

Also, there's Larkey/Zurhaar/Parker types in every draft, they won't stop in 2024..

Us being linked to Tauru so heavily diminishes our leverage of pick 2 if that info is correct. Clubs will only trade up if they think we are taking one of the elite mids like FOS or Lalor. The Zero Hanger draft had us taking Lalor and the resulting picks for Richmond were shithouse. The ESPN one had us taking Tauru at 2 and Richmond ended up with Smith at 6 and Armstrong at 10, absolutely no way they would trade up to 2 if that happened

3min 43 secs per km for 2km is surprisingly slow. I could manage that and I'm mid 50s.
Something he could and absolutely would have to work on.

Us being linked to Tauru so heavily diminishes our leverage of pick 2 if that info is correct. Clubs will only trade up if they think we are taking one of the elite mids like FOS or Lalor. The Zero Hanger draft had us taking Lalor and the resulting picks for Richmond were shithouse. The ESPN one had us taking Tauru at 2 and Richmond ended up with Smith at 6 and Armstrong at 10, absolutely no way they would trade up to 2 if that happened
it’s just the media guessing

Doubt it has any impact

Larkey was taken at pick 73. There probably won't be 73 players taken in this draft.

FWIW this article says Hawks, Crows and maybe Suns will take only 2 selections in the ND. Has us down for 3 but that was before the Cooper extension.

Adelaide, which holds pick No.4, and Hawthorn, are set to use two selections – the fewest of clubs – while Gold Coast is also expected to take two or three players at the draft.

Collingwood, Fremantle, Melbourne and North Melbourne are all anticipated to use three selections at the draft, while Brisbane, Geelong, Port Adelaide, Sydney and West Coast are likely to use three or four picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back