Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:
Are there any speedy, hard tackling small forwards who can kick goals out of their southern end?

Kyle Weightman is one to keep an eye on from Coburg. Small forward with some zip and skill. He kicked 4.2 in the last round of the VFL. Think he is 25 years old. Really only physically matured the last 2 years.

North VFL listed boys Cooper Lord and Cooper Trembath played yesterday as overagers in the Sandy Vs Eastern game.

Lord was one of the best for Sandy, playing through the midfield. Had 27 disposals and 7 marks.

Trembath was once again solid in defence as an intercept marking threat. Had 14 disposals, 6 marks and 5 rebound 50’s.
Do they have long term injury history or issues with match conditioning? If not, delist.

Are there any speedy, hard tackling small forwards who can kick goals out of their southern end?

Big fan of this guy. He's a mid so would be fit enuff to play small forward. He's a see ball, get ball player, very hard at it.
Kicked a beautiful running goal on Saturday. Was being hard tagged initially by Mountford.
Pretty fast, had 18 tackles on Saturday. Was BOG in last years grand final win.

WAFL is a big step down from afl, even vfl.

Kyle Weightman is one to keep an eye on from Coburg. Small forward with some zip and skill. He kicked 4.2 in the last round of the VFL. Think he is 25 years old. Really only physically matured the last 2 years.
Dale's son?

Were bound to get another pick right, aren't we. Is Dawson really the only win?

Hosie, Edwards, Ham, Hansen Jr lol

1 out of 5 is just cruel
Absolute waste…barren waste land….lm assuming most would have been mr magic formula luff picks…gosh he should have never been let near a list management selection…

Am I correct in thinking we could have had Tyson Stengle in the year we took Edwards?

-Absolute waste…barren waste land….lm assuming most would have been mr magic formula luff picks…gosh he should have never been let near a list management selection…
Its the midseason draft, so I think Hawthorn with Newcombe and the Pies with Noble? are the only ones to draft AFL pedigree players. Its a small pool of talent.
But for the last 3 seasons we have had the 1st or 2nd selection each time - so the fact we cant pick the best non-draftee or state player at a 20% strike rate - then yeah, we suck lol

Am I correct in thinking we could have had Tyson Stengle in the year we took Edwards?
Could have had anyone we wanted I reckon lol

Most reporting was we were taking the best available with Edwards though, plenty of that was saying we got a “second round equivalent” in the MSD

Edit: apologies he was eligible but do think he needed more time

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

19-YEAR-OLDS SHINE IN CHASE FOR SPOTS

GEELONG Falcons forward Will McLachlan has jumped into mid-season draft contention with a run of early form in the Coates Talent League.

McLachlan, who was overlooked last season, is a medium forward and has kicked 11 goals across the past two weeks.

His six-goal haul against Murray Bushrangers on Sunday showed his marking strength and natural goal sense and saw him take his season tally to 13 goals so far in 2024.

M88PQhrC.jpg

Will McLachlan flies for a mark during the Coates Talent League match between Geelong Falcons and GWV Rebels at GMHBA Stadium on March 28, 2024. Picture: AFL Photos

He is one of a batch of players who were first eligible for last year's draft and are now shooting for a mid-season shot, including fellow Falcons runner Liam Kershaw, who has averaged 19 disposals at the start of the season, while Bendigo talent Deyton Uerata has also caught interest as a midfielder/forward who has some exciting attributes.

Key defender Cooper Trembath, ruckmen Joe Pike and Jordan Doherty, tall forward Remy MacLean and versatile Tasmanian prospect Geordie Payne are among the others on recruiters' radars as potential mid-season options. South Australian Noah Howes is another to have been looked at as a potential MSD candidate.

Oliver Poole, Iliro Smit, Lewis Robbins and Ben Hopkins are other prospects who could feature in Young Guns squads ahead of the mid-season draft. – Callum Twomey

MID-SEASON DRAFT SET

THE MID-SEASON Rookie Draft is set to take place between rounds 11 and 12 with more than half of the competition's clubs currently holding open selections.

Clubs were told on Wednesday that the intake of picks for the mid-season draft will be staged on Wednesday, May 29.

Given the draft order is based on the ladder at that point of the season, the draft needs to be staged before the bye weeks start and clubs have played different amount of games, with the bye rounds running from round 12-15 this year.

There are currently 13 potential open list spots around the competition for clubs to use at the mid-season draft. Last year, 13 players were selected in the mid-season draft, including the No.1 pick Ryan Maric, who landed at West Coast. – Callum Twomey

GEELONG Falcons forward Will McLachlan has jumped into mid-season draft contention with a run of early form in the Coates Talent League.

McLachlan, who was overlooked last season, is a medium forward and has kicked 11 goals across the past two weeks.

His six-goal haul against Murray Bushrangers on Sunday showed his marking strength and natural goal sense and saw him take his season tally to 13 goals so far in 2024.

M88PQhrC.jpg

Will McLachlan flies for a mark during the Coates Talent League match between Geelong Falcons and GWV Rebels at GMHBA Stadium on March 28, 2024. Picture: AFL Photos

He is one of a batch of players who were first eligible for last year's draft and are now shooting for a mid-season shot, including fellow Falcons runner Liam Kershaw, who has averaged 19 disposals at the start of the season, while Bendigo talent Deyton Uerata has also caught interest as a midfielder/forward who has some exciting attributes.

Key defender Cooper Trembath, ruckmen Joe Pike and Jordan Doherty, tall forward Remy MacLean and versatile Tasmanian prospect Geordie Payne are among the others on recruiters' radars as potential mid-season options. South Australian Noah Howes is another to have been looked at as a potential MSD candidate.

Oliver Poole, Iliro Smit, Lewis Robbins and Ben Hopkins are other prospects who could feature in Young Guns squads ahead of the mid-season draft. – Callum Twomey

I really like Trembath as an intercept option, he has very sticky hands. I'd like to see him get a couple of games for us in the VFL before hand though.

Ben Hopkins is also going everything right at NAB league level, but again I'd like to see him get a few games at VFL to see how he adjusts to the bigger bodies.

M88PQhrC.jpg

Overlooked. Tick.
Medium forward. Tick.

Our recruiters will be all over this kid.

The strikerate for TAC Cup prospects in the midseason draft is incredibly poor so far. I'm actually not sure there has been a single successful pick when you consider that D'Ambrosio also had some decent form at VFL level.

With the additional year of development, an AFL-standard player should be absolutely dominating at that level, but clubs have been fooled time and time again by a run of ok form from a kid a year older than most players.

The strikerate for TAC Cup prospects in the midseason draft is incredibly poor so far. I'm actually not sure there has been a single successful pick when you consider that D'Ambrosio also had some decent form at VFL level.

With the additional year of development, an AFL-standard player should be absolutely dominating at that level, but clubs have been fooled time and time again by a run of ok form from a kid a year older than most players.
I agree, I'd only draft from TAC cup if they also play VFL at a serviceable level

Last edited:

It's probably no different to the main draft considering how small the pool is.

Maric, Culley, Moyle, Ramsden aren't horrible.

Newcombe, D'Ambrosio, Durham definitely trump it though.

There is a fair bit of flexibility with the pool though, clubs should definitely be requesting the top MSD prospects to have a few games at VFL level.

Overlooked. Tick.
Medium forward. Tick.

Our recruiters will be all over this kid.
Meanwhile some 23yo 205cm antelope kicking goals for fun for Port Melbourne will end up at Brisbane and eventually replace Daniher.

#22 Jordan Doherty
Ruck | 199cm | 21/02/2005

Doherty is among the many talls to have come up in mid-season draft conversations, and produced arguably his best game yet in Round 3. The over-ager was a fourth midfielder of sorts in the ruck, leaning on his athletic ability and clean fundamental skills to impact both at, and away from the contest. Some of his kicking defied a 199cm listing, looking composed in possession and smooth with his movement. Definitely one to watch.
Scouting notes from last round played,i like the sound of this kid

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back