Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:
You guys all know we’re ****ed either way right?

‘North Melbourne surprisingly drafted a Key Position Forward after having a leaky depleted backline for the entire 2024 season - they average over 100 points scored against per game’

‘North Melbourne elected to secure the most talented KPD after an entire year of having no assistance for Key forward, Nick Larkey in the struggling forward line. The lack of KP support has lead to consistent entries being repelled by opposition clubs as they nullify the North Melbourne vocal point and spearhead. North Melbourne currently lead the competition in scores against from rebounds out of any clubs forward half’

‘North Melbourne drafted a midget bitch 180cm midfielder.’

Has become a handy player

I coached him at Wesley. Always been a good size and an ok player, but was always quite immature, a bit of a sook

Looks like he’s grown up a bit. His number 1, 2, and 3 goal is AFL so very focused.

That's from a mate of mine who has done a bit of coaching over here in WA. He is referring to Blight there

We could pick up a Key Defender with our second pick. I don't anything about these guys but would they be good options? Chad Pearson: 26, 195cm, Averaging 21.4 disposals and 7.4 marks in the WAFL. Has also made the WAFL team of the year three years in a row. Sam Skinner: 26, 198cm, Former Brisbane and Port player, Averaging 17.3 disposals, 7.5 marks and 2 contested marks a game. He is also Co-Captain of South Adelaide

You guys all know we’re ****ed either way right?

‘North Melbourne surprisingly drafted a Key Position Forward after having a leaky depleted backline for the entire 2024 season - they average over 100 points scored against per game’

‘North Melbourne elected to secure the most talented KPD after an entire year of having no assistance for Key forward, Nick Larkey in the struggling forward line. The lack of KP support has lead to consistent entries being repelled by opposition clubs as they nullify the North Melbourne vocal point and spearhead. North Melbourne currently lead the competition in scores against from rebounds out of any clubs forward half’

‘North Melbourne drafted a midget bitch 180cm midfielder.’
No, I don't

We could pick up a Key Defender with our second pick. I don't anything about these guys but would they be good options? Chad Pearson: 26, 195cm, Averaging 21.4 disposals and 7.4 marks in the WAFL. Has also made the WAFL team of the year three years in a row. Sam Skinner: 26, 198cm, Former Brisbane and Port player, Averaging 17.3 disposals, 7.5 marks and 2 contested marks a game. He is also Co-Captain of South Adelaide
Skinner has already had trial at North, and didn't make the cut

Sellers is 24 and Howes is 19

Clarkson has made it pretty clear they arent worried abour results this year why would they draft players that would help us win games instantly?

Howes is actually 18

Doesn’t turn 19 until late October.

He’s young enough that he’s going to the u/18 nationals with South Australia.

Their first game is 3 days before the MSD, so i suspect it will be the only game he plays.

I think he’s going to take that Allies team apart personally. He’s a well built kid and will look like a genuine power forward at that level. SA have a good midfield to feed him as well.

OVERLOOKED PAIR IN CONTENTION

TASMANIAN Geordie Payne and West Australian key defender Jacob Blight are among the prospects being scouted with early picks in the upcoming mid-season draft.

Vacant list spots have ballooned to 22 with Brisbane now having four open positions after the season-ending knee injuries to Darcy Gardiner and Lincoln McCarthy, however there is expected to be around half of those taken.

Payne was overlooked last year despite having interest from clubs, including Collingwood, but is back on the radar as a mid-season hopeful given his strong first half of this season as a quick defender with Tasmania and the Young Guns.

CTLBMBTD24RL487.jpg

Geordie Payne during the Coates Talent League Boys U18 Round one match between Murray Bushrangers and Tasmania Devils at Highgate Recreation Reserve, March 23, 2024. Picture: AFL Photos
Blight is a 22-year-old key defender from Peel who has attracted interest from several clubs looking to bolster their backline stocks. VFL defender Mutaz El Nour, who has been overlooked at previous mid-season intakes, remains in contention for a mid-season spot, while key forwards Noah Howes and Jasper Scaife are considered strong possibilities.

A number of formerly listed AFL players are also putting themselves in the mix.

Trey Ruscoe, Liam McMahon and Trent Bianco (ex-Collingwood), Jack Peris, Dan McKenzie and Tom Highmore (ex-St Kilda), Lachie Young (ex-North Melbourne) and Jez McLennan (Gold Coast) are in the group looking for a return to the top level.

The mid-season rookie draft will be staged in three weeks on Wednesday, May 29. – Callum Twomey

Howes is actually 18

Doesn’t turn 19 until late October.

He’s young enough that he’s going to the u/18 nationals with South Australia.

Their first game is 3 days before the MSD, so i suspect it will be the only game he plays.

I think he’s going to take that Allies team apart personally. He’s a well built kid and will look like a genuine power forward at that level. SA have a good midfield to feed him as well.
Yeah I think hes our man! ill be watching that SA under 18s game

Lachie Young on the list might be worth a look 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright, realistically Brady has already made up his mind. He usually goes for most talented or the most buzz around. Who we got?

Been plenty of talk about Jack Hutchison, really hope we don’t take him. Other than a few flashy marks there really isn’t much there of substance. Doesn’t accumulate the footy and is too undersized to play as a key forward.

Jacob Blight is an interesting one, 23 years old 196cm & 100kg, key defender
From Peel. Takes plenty of marks, but I’m told he wouldn’t be the most athletic player out there. Very natural defender though.
Local paper in WA saying Blight, a local lad, to North! Ha ha

Alright, realistically Brady has already made up his mind. He usually goes for most talented or the most buzz around. Who we got?
Unless Will and Brady pluck someone else you'd think its between Blight, Scaife and Howes, two CHFs vs a CHB, while I would love young Blight and I know we have Sellers and moose {who is not ready yet} blind Freddy can see, forget this ruckman resting at CHF stuff and playing an undersized player there, how about we catch up to the times and get a true CHF! Doesn't have to be Wayne Carey, be a presence, compete and take all the heat of Nick then opposition clubs will find it a lot harder to tag team him if Howes or Scaife start making themselves known.

So Howes or Scaife will be our pick in the mid-season draft unless Will and Brady are thinking the reverse.

Last edited:
I'm only suggesting if the thought is that Blight is the better prospect, and won't last until second round as compared to one of the key forwards.

If I was in charge and my preference is to go forward (and take Howes)..

I completely agree with you, that, are forward stocks are diabolically thin.

Noah Howes highlight reel (albeit an incredibly small sample size) includes deft (inc. goal) kicking, strong marking and mobility (not just parked up forward). Considering what we have in depth, An 18 year old that is 195cm and built the way he is, seems too tantalising a prospect not to have a go at.
Do you think that if we select him, maybe we could move him down into defence?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back