Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MSD Info

Full list of MSD Nominees

Last edited:
I recognise we have had a few kpd picks fail but I understand the logic behind the move at the end of 2023 to take a bunch of them from the state leagues and see if we can get a hit on them. All we really need is one of them to stand up and we are miles ahead.
I'd probably start using the same method on kpf's this midseason draft. Hedge our bets get 3 or 4 on the list and draft a highly rated 18 year old this year. Hopefully one of our state league picks bridges the gap until the 18 year old is ready.

feels like we'll get his type again in the national draft.
Mid season is the perfect time to get a mature aged key position or small forward who can have an immediate impact.

Exactly. Draft players that will come in and have an instant impact. Long term project players aren’t working. Edwards,RHJ, Ham. List goes on….

If we take a second pick they almost certainly flop.
Second round in the midseason draft is a wasteland.
I'm not too fazed who we take. I like howes with our first as he's so young he has more scope for improvement.
Blight is similar but I feel while our kpds look dire right now they improve drastically when Logue and Dawson return.
That sort of leaves kpf as the biggest hole on the list. Getting a forward ruck would be a decent move.
We simply have to keep trying to unearth players. If we draft someone and they flop so be it, we've invested a small amount of money and 6 months of time. However if they have the potential to develop into a short-term solution say a 40 - 50 game player to help us out in an area of need whilst we work our way back up the ladder then it's definitely worth the risk.

Last edited:
Is Jacob Blight better than Toby Pink?

438ee632e5d3231048d07b90d725a913.jpg

Probably the best defender in thr WAFL at the moment. Great size but obviously the gap between the AFL is massive. His a committed as to make it so hopefully we take the punt.

We simply have to keep trying to unearth players. If we draft someone and they flop so be it, we've invested a small amount of money and 6 months of time. However if they have the potential to develop into a short-term solution say a 40 - 50 game player to help us out in an area of need then whilst we work our way back up the ladder then it's definitely worth the risk.
Oh for sure we take someone. But I doubt very much they end up any good.
I think about the best we could hope for is as you mentioned a 40-50 game player o help make us competitive for the next couple of years while young guys develop.

438ee632e5d3231048d07b90d725a913.jpg

Probably the best defender in thr WAFL at the moment. Great size but obviously the gap between the AFL is massive. His a committed as to make it so hopefully we take the punt.
mmmmm... joined May 8th 2024... two posts..

Hello Jacob, I hope we pick you up mate..

Say we hadn’t taken Maley or Sellers last year and they’d shown the same form to date this year. How would they be shaping up as MSD prospects this year?

Would they be rated ahead of Howes and Scaife?

Say we hadn’t taken Maley or Sellers last year and they’d shown the same form to date this year. How would they be shaping up as MSD prospects this year?

I'd guess Pink and Sellars would be rated higher than both. It's a huge jump up to AFL level for key position players, which is why there's such a shortage of them, compared to midfielders.

But we need to keep picking them, and hope one of them can be a 40 game player and help us for 2 seasons whilst the others develop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably not, Sellers and Maley have been much better this year partly due to training in an AFL system. I don't think Finnbar would be playing as well for a struggling Preston side + he is very raw. As for Sellers, Scaife and Howes have a few centimetres on him and are more athletic. They are also 2 and 3 years younger than him respectively

I’m hearing rumours Scrimshaw might be at North next year

Might this have something to do with it?

I very much doubt if Allan Jeans, if he was still around, would agree with that approach from Mitchell.

That may well resonate with a few of the young boys at Hawthorn. Oh well.

Blight looks a little on the lumbering side? Anyone know?
"But in terms of my football, there's always been a bit of a knock on my agility and changing direction. I feel like I've worked on that already but it's an area that I can still get better with and also just minimising mistakes.

"Whether it's a miskick or bad handball, just things like that I can still tidy up during the year but in terms of athleticism and my kicking and things like that, I think I'm quite competent. It's just more about fixing up the smaller, minor details."

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back