List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice. The list of blokes I'd be happy with is below. Teakle is my absolute top target, the others are more or less speculative. There are others I'd be fine with (Hutchinson, D'Aloia, Al Hawli), but these

Teakle

Boyd Woodcock
Kobe Ryan (unlikely to last to our 2nd pick)
Iliro Smit
Finbar O'Dwyer
Jacob Blight (who I fully expect to go top 5)
Ajang Kuol Mun
Incredible pluck there!

I don’t think the depth of talent is there in mid season drafts. I can only think of about half a dozen players who have been a success. If you don’t have a pick in the top few, it’s even less likely.

I would think if you are a team contending, you find a player that can help you during the season, rather than in a few years time. We are vulnerable in the ruck given the injuries. Cameron is our only available ruckman, and if he goes down, we are in serious trouble.
Agree on depth, and you should pick best available according to your strategy ie if you’re in the window pick someone that will help.

Where we diverge in opinion, is for example if I have choice between a mature age player that has a 10% chance of making the grade and contributing to a premiership or a young player that has a 70% chance of making the grade but not contributing meaningfully in this window I choose the latter. No point selecting a player that won’t make the cut based on need.

We’ve essentially taken this approach with our first pick. Second pick I think is need as you’re advocating for…I think with Ned we’ve gone in open eyed. His strengths are at the level, his weaknesses (speed, kicking) are evident. I think we can make this work whilst we have players out, won’t be surprised if he’s straight in as he already knows our system.

Agree on depth, and you should pick best available according to your strategy ie if you’re in the window pick someone that will help.

Where we diverge in opinion, is for example if I have choice between a mature age player that has a 10% chance of making the grade and contributing to a premiership or a young player that has a 70% chance of making the grade but not contributing meaningfully in this window I choose the latter. No point selecting a player that won’t make the cut based on need.

We’ve essentially taken this approach with our first pick. Second pick I think is need as you’re advocating for…I think with Ned we’ve gone in open eyed. His strengths are at the level, his weaknesses (speed, kicking) are evident. I think we can make this work whilst we have players out, won’t be surprised if he’s straight in as he already knows our system.
Do we need Ned Long?

So very Collingwood.

With our first pick we draft a very raw kid, with an eye on the future, and effectively no chance of playing this year. Signal to the rest of the comp - we’re not panicking about our injuries. It’s all good, short-term problem, nothing to see here.

But, while we’re at it, we might just grab a big bodied mid who’s been playing with our VFL boys and training with our seniors, but has mysteriously hardly been seen for about a month. Again, move on, nothing to see here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we'll be happy if he can help shield our running mids and get the ball out of congestion, which does well in the VFL, just needs to tidy up his kicking a bit
I have my doubts about Long. But if he can halve contest at stoppage and prevent easy opposition exits as Titch does so effectively, then he’s the perfect Titch successor.

Last edited:
I have my doubts about Long. But if he can halve contest at stoppage and prevent easy opponent exits as Titch does so effectively, then he’s the perfect Titch successor.
I was way off on him. His kicking needs a bit of work but he's quite strong and we do need depth in the inside mid department

Remove this Banner Ad

Back