Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I kinda liked Berry more anyway. Come at me.
I would be very surprised chubbs if anyone came at you. Different players but Joe's kicking is elite and kicks goals for fun, Isaac uses his speed and knowhow to cause problems for the defence, both the number 1/2 small forwards in this draft and rated very highly, I now have a strong feeling/hunch that Joe Berry's draft stocks are going to hit the roof with that rule change.

when was the last time a (say) top 5 pick had a poor national championships?

Smillie under-performed - it doesn't matter how tall he is
Judas, in his draft year, remember Ben Hobbs gave him a bath in their matchup, didn't play all the matches I think, and was beaten a couple other times, his stocks rose on that South Adelaide pre -lim final.

Trust me Fart, Finn's a jet, hope isn't needed on this one. I have read that he might slip to pick 4/5 , well, all I can say to that is LDU all over again! When recruiters have watched these boys in u15s and so on people have to understand that one game like that is nothing, lets consider the facts, he's had two hand injuries and missed a fair chunk of footy, one a little bit more worse than the other, he came into that game underdone and I already had my say about what to expect, but people reacted exactly how I thought they would with some saying he shouldn't have played and so on and so on.

Lastly, just my opinion but Finn in a way is like Sam Walsh, an elite runner both ways, I could say wait till he gets a lot fitter and plays more games but for me that is a non issue, I know how good he is, he doesn't need to prove anything and I'm quite sure a lot of the recruiters would feel the same way just as there would be a couple of recruiters that might slip him down the order but I would be very surprised to say the least.
Pretty simple for me, if he's there at our pick we take him.

Pretty simple for me, if he's there at our pick we take him.
Yeah I feel that way to a point but with that rule change and I know some have said no one will trade us two firsts for our pick but I believe they will if we decide to go that way, Gold Coast with their first two picks, we need a small forward and key forward, if we split our pick with Gold Coast we could get the best small forward and the best key forward in this draft where if say we take Finn/Josh/Sid/Sam as our first pick and say pick up Kayle Gerreyn with our second pick [who I have huge wraps on} and if we traded a second rounder in we could end up with a good small forward, so its six of one and 1/2 dozen of the other.

Looking at this draft pool...might be a great year to have a bunch of second round picks?

GC have such a strong hand 7,8 then 20,27 & 32.
Freo with 10,13,16 & 25 depends on which ex-WA player they are hunting with those 1st rounders.

Makes you wonder if we split pick 2 & 21 + F2 to exchange for 7,20, 27 & 32 from GC?
7 - Langford or Allan
20 - Joe Berry ..if Taj Hotton is strangely still here, where do l sign.
27 - Shanahan or Armstrong.
32 - Matt Whitlock.
39 - Lachie Jacques.
57 - River Stevens.
I think you're being a bit optimistic about Berry, Armstrong and M Whitlock being available in the 2nd round.

I would be very surprised chubbs if anyone came at you. Different players but Joe's kicking is elite and kicks goals for fun, Isaac uses his speed and knowhow to cause problems for the defence, both the number 1/2 small forwards in this draft and rated very highly, I now have a strong feeling/hunch that Joe Berry's draft stocks are going to hit the roof with that rule change.
Don't get me wrong Kako is very exciting and I like him but Berry is pretty elite for score involvements I believe and has a beautiful kick. Dattoli another kid I like as well, finds the footy, goal kicking not quite as good as Berry though.

Trust me Fart, Finn's a jet, hope isn't needed on this one. I have read that he might slip to pick 4/5 , well, all I can say to that is LDU all over again! When recruiters have watched these boys in u15s and so on people have to understand that one game like that is nothing, lets consider the facts, he's had two hand injuries and missed a fair chunk of footy, one a little bit more worse than the other, he came into that game underdone and I already had my say about what to expect, but people reacted exactly how I thought they would with some saying he shouldn't have played and so on and so on.

Lastly, just my opinion but Finn in a way is like Sam Walsh, an elite runner both ways, I could say wait till he gets a lot fitter and plays more games but for me that is a non issue, I know how good he is, he doesn't need to prove anything and I'm quite sure a lot of the recruiters would feel the same way just as there would be a couple of recruiters that might slip him down the order but I would be very surprised to say the least.
You are a breath of fresh air and calmness in the draft space on bigfooty TTS, keep preaching 🙏

Ok talent spotters,
  • how confident are we that Armstrong, Shanahan and J Whitlock will be players, and
  • in the event we end up with pick ~22/23 as our second, would you be comfortable just waiting to see which of these players is still available at that pick, or would you be tempted to shuffle our first and second around to ensure we get the best key forward of the bunch?

Last edited:
Judas, in his draft year, remember Ben Hobbs gave him a bath in their matchup, didn't play all the matches I think, and was beaten a couple other times, his stocks rose on that South Adelaide pre -lim final.
Thanks - I do personally rate performances against men; do we know whether Smillie has form in that regard?

My initial reaction from this is we will be able to bank one of the top line mids with our first pick & take one of the KPFs with our second pick.

July - Twomey
1​
Levi Ashcroft
2​
Josh Smillie
3​
Finn O'Sullivan
4​
Harvey Langford
5​
Murphy Reid
6​
Jagga Smith
7​
Luke Trainor
8​
Sam Lalor
9​
Sid Draper
10​
Bo Allan
11​
Leonardo Lombard
12​
Taj Hotton
13​
Tobie Travaglia
14​
Harry Armstrong
15​
Isaac Kako
16​
Xavier Lindsay
17​
Joe Berry
18​
Jack Whitlock
19​
Cooper Hynes
20​
Tom Gross
21​
Samuel Marshall
22​
Christian Moraes
23​
Alex Dodson
24​
Alix Tauru
25​
Harrison Oliver
26​
Matt Whitlock
27​
Jobe Shanahan
28​
Jonty Faull
29​
Thomas Sims
30​
Noah Mraz

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh...it'll only be an issue if teams can still use "junk" picks to fulfil the requirements.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
The issue is that one of the consensus best two small forwards is effectively off the board. As a consequence it will most likely mean that Berry is taken higher than he might have been otherwise. It gives * a huge leg up over other teams in planning their draft strategy. Hopefully no other teams will trade with them to allow them to get ahead of the Kako pick.

The issue is that one of the consensus best two small forwards is effectively off the board. As a consequence it will most likely mean that Berry is taken higher than he might have been otherwise. It gives * a huge leg up over other teams in planning their draft strategy. Hopefully no other teams will trade with them to allow them to get ahead of the Kako pick.
If teams reach, then good for them. Leaves better players on the board.

As far as getting in ahead, that's what I mean by full value. They need a pick in that round as a starting point. If they want to get on ahead of a bid, then good luck to them. They pay a price from a future draft possibly.

Hopefully it also stops teams making silly bids on players.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

July - Twomey
1​
Levi Ashcroft
2​
Josh Smillie
3​
Finn O'Sullivan
4​
Harvey Langford
5​
Murphy Reid
6​
Jagga Smith
7​
Luke Trainor
8​
Sam Lalor
9​
Sid Draper
10​
Bo Allan
11​
Leonardo Lombard
12​
Taj Hotton
13​
Tobie Travaglia
14​
Harry Armstrong
15​
Isaac Kako
16​
Xavier Lindsay
17​
Joe Berry
18​
Jack Whitlock
19​
Cooper Hynes
20​
Tom Gross
21​
Samuel Marshall
22​
Christian Moraes
23​
Alex Dodson
24​
Alix Tauru
25​
Harrison Oliver
26​
Matt Whitlock
27​
Jobe Shanahan
28​
Jonty Faull
29​
Thomas Sims
30​
Noah Mraz

That there is why there wont be any splitting and kings ransoms.

People are delusional for thinking otherwise, the only club with incentive is Gold Coast and the absolute best result for them only occurs if they keep their current Pick 7 & 8.

It's also close to a worst case scenario for most of the comp.

In that scenario, Gold Coast get a double dip with Lombard and take two other top 10 picks like Trainor and Lalor.

Essendon get a double dip with Kako as he goes at their natural selection and could simply select Lindsay and match Kako the pick after.

Adelaide would get Draper if they want him, so don't need to trade up.

Ditto anyone that really wants Trainor.

Doubt there's much jostling for top pick places other than a position here or there.

Fremantle could legitimately set themselves up for a flag in this even draft if they don't follow the Richmond fools gold.

I think most clubs will be looking to buy into the top 30, so clubs like Sydney and Gold Coast who ended up with our PP's would be absolutely laughing at this point.

The AFL better adjust the points table and new bidding rules immediately if they are bringing in these NGA rules.

My initial reaction from this is we will be able to bank one of the top line mids with our first pick & take one of the KPFs with our second pick.
Exactly what I'm hoping we do FOS / Smillie / Langford / Draper etc. then there's a glut of tall forwards that should be available for our second pick Matt Whitlock (assuming Jack will be gone) Sims / Mraz / Shanahan / Faull.

Last edited:
Potentially Twomey gets some intel from North?

Other than the Phillips stuff from back when Luff was recruiter when Twomey had McDonald/Hollands as the options for our pick, he has been reasonably bang on with the players we’re interested in.

Rawlings & Thursfield have been on gettable / trade radio once if not multiple times.

He was the first to run with our 5 year Zurhaar offer IIRC.

Just a hunch but we’ve mentioned big body mids in multiple pressers / radio moments and when we we looked guaranteed for pick 1, he had Smillie as clear number 1 based on his comments on Gettable, then once we go to 2 and looking closer to getting pick 3, Langford jumps up to 4 which would be our first pick after an Ashcroft bid.

July - Espn
1​
Sid Draper
2​
Jagga Smith
3​
Leonardo Lombard
4​
Finn O'Sullivan
5​
Josh Smillie
6​