Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not fully disagreeing but everyone needs to be able to do a bit of everything in a modern CBA set up.

Nobody specifically has an extractor and a receiver and they only play those roles. At least the good teams anyway.

poorta are a really great example with their CBA setups. Watching them the other week, Butters was their starting sweeper but at points in time they would have Butters stream forward to the open side of the circle for the ground ball get, while JHF who was the usual hit-to swung around to sweep the back of the stoppage.

Colby needs to be competent enough physically to do that when the time calls for it.

If you go in with really set roles, such as Colby receiver, Wardlaw defensive and LDU hit-to, you'll start well but get smashed after half time.

Im not saying at all they have set roles, I don't know why you interpreted my post as such, that's why I specifically said 'ideally you have someone with both'.

My point was, that center square mids are no longer defined as big physical types or even contested animals. Some of the best in the comp are what people would consider outside midfielders, like Daicos. Butters is another comparable physical size, whilst he's a lot tougher than Daicos and has a far more manic game contested game style, a 181cm 78kg midfielder wouldn't exactly have had you shaking in your boots 20 years ago.

You can't play in the middle and just sit outside the contest, Colby never did that at junior level anyway, he won the ball around stoppage and broke.

You also don't need to be Matt Rowell and have to tackle every single player within the stoppage zone.

Whilst Colby might never win the hard ball gets that Wardlaw does, he has other strengths that add to that center square mix that the others don't have.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why we wouldn't consider taking Gerryen with pick 2 even if we don't split? He won't be there at our second round selection.

We have taken mids for how many of the past drafts? And still the biggest hole in our list is a big bodied KPF who is agile and can crash packs - which this guy does for fun - plus he can relieve Xerri in the ruck very competently.

I would also see this guy as a much better prospect than Logan McDonald who went pick 3 a few years back...

He's 3-4 cms taller than Logue, and that's if he's stopped growing.

I rate him highly, but as an attacking kpd who can intercept. He attacks with his kicking and is good when the balls in dispute. Reckon he'll be the kpd type that does a lot of 1%s, chopping out the big backs with the odd run driving the ball i50.

Heaps to work with.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
He'd slot very nicely into the backline with Logue and W Dawson long term.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why we wouldn't consider taking Gerryen with pick 2 even if we don't split? He won't be there at our second round selection.

We have taken mids for how many of the past drafts? And still the biggest hole in our list is a big bodied KPF who is agile and can crash packs - which this guy does for fun - plus he can relieve Xerri in the ruck very competently.

I would also see this guy as a much better prospect than Logan McDonald who went pick 3 a few years back...
I think there’s every chance he will be at our second pick. Either him, one of the whitlocks or Shanahan should be there. All seem to be similarly good prospects. Trainor and Armstrong probably the only KPP who have no chance at being available at our second.

Even so I’d still advocate for splitting. Get Trainor/Armstrong/Berry with the two firsts, plus any of Whitlock/Shanahan/Gerryn with the second.

As others have said, it’s only our board that rates Gerryn so highly. showing great signs but it’s WAFL Colts which is a much weaker comp than VFL.

I think there’s every chance he will be at our second pick. Either him, one of the whitlocks or Shanahan should be there. All seem to be similarly good prospects. Trainor and Armstrong probably the only KPP who have no chance at being available at our scone.

Even so I’d still advocate for splitting. Get Trainor/Armstrong/Berry with the two firsts, plus any of Whitlock/Shanahan/Gerryn with the second.

As others have said, it’s only our board that rates Gerryn so highly. showing great signs but it’s WAFL Colts which is a much weaker comp than VFL.

As l have stated before. Split pick#2 and get Trainor first then Armstrong. If Armstrong is no longer there then get Berry. As for Gerryn l am one that doesn't rate him that high or see the need to get him..

Is Armstrong really the stand out key forward in this draft? Seeing a bit of vision of all the key forwards as well as the stats being posted of the weekends games, it seems like you could throw a blanket over half a dozen of them.

My main apprehension when it comes to Armstrong is he looks to be a very similar type of player to Larkey. More of a lead up type player. I'm not sure he is the right fit for what we need down there.

Have to admit i wouldn't know where those scores rank, im just going by the eyeball test.
Souup posted the Vic KPP pre season results in here somewhere, off the top of my head the RVJ and yo-yo would be pretty good, the agility roughly on par, the rest a little underwhelming.

The WA pre season testing is notoriously inaccurate though

I have no issue targeting talls but I would implore everyone to watch the finals this year and then come back to the discussion on what we need. If we don't fix our run around the ground then all we will do is make it easy for opposition defenders to position themselves against whoever we put down there then run it back down our throats.

As l have stated before. Split pick#2 and get Trainor first then Armstrong. If Armstrong is no longer there then get Berry. As for Gerryn l am one that doesn't rate him that high or see the need to get him..
For mine GMan is that big power beast that makes whatever other fwds you have better. He'll demand that sort of attention. Its also his ability to ruck which makes his value even higher for us imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't understand how its biologically possible for a fit 18 year old to weigh 100 kgs.
99 kgs, he's a big boy, people are always saying that this player or that player needs to put on about 20 kgs, well Kayle doesn't need to do that, in fact because he's already there, at AFL level and match fitness he would probably need to lose a couple of kgs, its such an advantage for him to be in this situation.

I have no issue targeting talls but I would implore everyone to watch the finals this year and then come back to the discussion on what we need. If we don't fix our run around the ground then all we will do is make it easy for opposition defenders to position themselves against whoever we put down there then run it back down our throats.
I very much agree, but with the following caveats: key forwards and defenders take longer to develop, so we need to get some this draft so that they can impact when we become competitive (fingers crossed). We also need small forwards who regularly apply pressure so that we can lock the ball in our forward half.

So I'd reckon we have at least three areas of high priority, and that this year's draft looks good for addressing the key position player and small forward deficiencies in our list.

Is Armstrong really the stand out key forward in this draft? Seeing a bit of vision of all the key forwards as well as the stats being posted of the weekends games, it seems like you could throw a blanket over half a dozen of them.

My main apprehension when it comes to Armstrong is he looks to be a very similar type of player to Larkey. More of a lead up type player. I'm not sure he is the right fit for what we need down there.
Watched a fair bit of Armstrong's vision last night, you're right he's that athletic type similar to Larkey, but I reckon he's going to be taking a lot more contested grabs than Larkey. Lovely left footer and glides across the ground, his traits remind me of Chris Tarrant.

Gerreyn plays very much like his old man did, complete power game with a vice grip. We've been screaming out for a KPF to be running full tilt out of the square and collecting bodies Plugger style. That's why I wouldn't be against grabbing both of them with our first two picks. One scenario could be swap pick 2 & F2 and get GC 6 & 13 and Rosas.

6 = Armstrong
13 = Gerreyn
40 = SF - Datolli?
58 = ??
64 = River
plus Rosas

Our 8 year forward line is almost complete in one draft and we haven't touched our first for next year.

Curtis, Jy, RHJ, Rosas, Datolli and River sitting at the feet of Larkey, Teakle, Gerreyn and Armstrong.

He looks like Johnno Brown. I am definitely intrigued.
As id said earlier, he's the only reason im willing to split pick 2. Id love Draper for his burst and run but this unit compliments our structure perfectly imo. If it were 6 and 13 we got, we'd get GMan and have a pick in the Armstrong/ Trainor range.
Im 100% with you we need better run and transition, but Trainor looks an ideal 2nd or 3rd attacking defender and well this draft could fix so much structure issues for the long term. We can then focus back on pace.

Here is the KPP testing that Souup provided earlier in the year, compared with Gerreyn

Luke Trainor 194cm 90kg
Vertical 88cm
20m 3.184
Agility 8.832
Yo-yo 760

Harry Armstrong 195cm 84kg
Vertical 87cm
20m 3.123
Agility 8.774
Yo-yo 960

Jack Whitlock 200cm 87kg
Vertical 93cm
20m 3.023
Agility 8.718
Yo-yo 840

Alixzander Tauru 191cm 84kg
Vertical 89cm
20m 3.137
Agility 8.527
Yo-yo 840

Matt Whitlock 197cm 83kg
Vertical 96cm
20m 3.103
Agility 8.714
Yo-yo ????? (720)

Jobe Shanahan 194cm 87kg
Vertical 88cm
20m 3.117
Agility 8.751
Yo-yo 720

Jonty Faull 195cm 89kg
Vertical ????? (80cm)
20m ????? (3.107)
Agility ????? (8.281)
Yo-yo ????? (520)

Thomas Sims 199cm ??(90kg)
Vertical 93cm
20m 3.036
Agility 7.909
Yo-yo 560

Noah Mraz 198cm 86kg
Vertical ????? (83cm)
20m ????? (3.216)
Agility ????? 8.464)
Yo-yo ????? (760)

Harry O'Farrell 196cm 77kg
Vertical: 86cm
20m: 3.044
Agility: 8.923
Yo-yo: 720

Kayle Gerreyn199cm 99kg
Vertical 79cm
20m 3.226
Agility 8.567
Yo-Yo 20.02 ??

99 kgs, he's a big boy, people are always saying that this player or that player needs to put on about 20 kgs, well Kayle doesn't need to do that, in fact because he's already there, at AFL level and match fitness he would probably need to lose a couple of kgs, its such an advantage for him to be in this situation.
Kinda runs like a ruckman. Has he been playing KPF, ruck or a hybrid role?

Not against keeping pick 2, but on the other hand we’ve been drafting ‘best available’ for the past 6 drafts and they’ve all been midfielders.

Would be nice to draft for positional needs for once, like a couple of KPP and a gun SF..

If there’s ever a year to throw the dice at splitting pick 2 and grabbing some gun bigs early in the draft then this is it.
Sounds good in theory, but the chances of the next tier making it reduces immediately.

Clear top 3 this year as I understand. We shouldn’t give that up.

Here is the KPP testing that Souup provided earlier in the year, compared with Gerreyn

Luke Trainor 194cm 90kg
Vertical 88cm
20m 3.184
Agility 8.832
Yo-yo 760

Harry Armstrong 195cm 84kg
Vertical 87cm
20m 3.123
Agility 8.774
Yo-yo 960

Jack Whitlock 200cm 87kg
Vertical 93cm
20m 3.023
Agility 8.718
Yo-yo 840

Alixzander Tauru 191cm 84kg
Vertical 89cm
20m 3.137
Agility 8.527
Yo-yo 840

Matt Whitlock 197cm 83kg
Vertical 96cm
20m 3.103
Agility 8.714
Yo-yo ????? (720)

Jobe Shanahan 194cm 87kg
Vertical 88cm
20m 3.117
Agility 8.751
Yo-yo 720

Jonty Faull 195cm 89kg
Vertical ????? (80cm)
20m ????? (3.107)
Agility ????? (8.281)
Yo-yo ????? (520)

Thomas Sims 199cm ??(90kg)
Vertical 93cm
20m 3.036
Agility 7.909
Yo-yo 560

Noah Mraz 198cm 86kg
Vertical ????? (83cm)
20m ????? (3.216)
Agility ????? 8.464)
Yo-yo ????? (760)

Harry O'Farrell 196cm 77kg
Vertical: 86cm
20m: 3.044
Agility: 8.923
Yo-yo: 720

Kayle Gerreyn199cm 99kg
Vertical 79cm
20m 3.226
Agility 8.567
Yo-Yo 20.02 ??
Thanks, looks pretty good considering his extra weight to the others. Im a bit surprised with the vertical, to the eye he's a good as any. His around the ground ruck work he seems to drive up with the tree trunk legs moving the oppo off the ball, so not a big deal there.
But anyway his 20m looks good and would take some serious stopping on the lead and is an elite kick imo. He'll kill people filling the hole in front.

Thanks, looks pretty good considering his extra weight to the others. Im a bit surprised with the vertical, to the eye he's a good as any. His around the ground ruck work he seems to drive up with the tree trunk legs moving the oppo off the ball, so not a big deal there.
But anyway his 20m looks good and would take some serious stopping on the lead and is an elite kick imo. He'll kill people filling the hole in front.

Not surprised his vertical would be slightly below some of the others given his size but with a bit of trimming down in an AFL program, maybe his vertical could improve. He's just that type of big bodied forward that would make opposition defenders extremely nervous. We really need that type of player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back