Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If we do end up going down the route of splitting pick 2 and targeting KPP's.

I really hope we look at adding Kobe Ryan as a rookie. He is still only 20 and the numbers he is putting up as an inside mid in the SANFL are ridiculous. Averaging 25.9 disposals, 0.7 goals per game, 6.6 clearances, 9 tackles and 3.4 marks. He'll go close to winning Magarey Medal this year.

Feel like he is the type of player who will do everything in his power to get the best out of himself.

I like Gerreyn but if that testing data is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, it makes total sense as to why he's not spoken about as a Top 30 pick.

If you're athletic at that size then the fact you're a man amongst boys doesn't matter so much. The fact he tested so poorly AND he's a man among boys, he'll go quite late, if at all (and most likely to a WA club).

He’s barely played in the middle yet.

The modern game is moving away rapidly from the Cunners style of contested mid.

Clubs value a loose ball contested poss mid levels above the old school hard ball get contested mids

What you ideally want is both, Wardlaw is an example of someone that wins a big proportion of both, LDU also.

Look at Daicos, he’s very much in the Colby mode physically, yet he’s one of the best clearance and contested ball winners in the comp, it’s because he’s the loose ball king of the AFL. Pace and agility and IQ are so important.

Another point of note, loose balls are often statistically “cleaner” possessions, under less direct physical pressure, they result in higher DE% and a higher kick ratio than a mid shoveling out a handball in a contested situation.

Colby had huge clearance and contested possession numbers as a midfielder at u18 level. It’s quite possible he’s going to be our #1 clearance and contested possession midfielder in the near future, because he’s easily our best loose ball prospect on the list.
I wasn't suggesting we entice Greg Williams out of retirement, only the idea our midfield list is complete and we can move onto other lines as a draft strategy is a bit premature.

We rank well for centre clearances, but that's partly due to Xerri - he is certainly a Trojan, but not many would call Tristan a polished play maker.

Demographically, we have LDU, Harry and George - Phillips is playing for his career, Jy may or may not get back to his best, Colby may or may not graduate to full time mid. Then there's "part" part-timers like Zurhaar and Curtis, but they seem to run through the middle when it's 'break glass in case of emergency'

That's all there is to choose from - a point reinforced in the last 2 matches, when harry missed and the oppo only then need to sit on LDU

Someone like Seb Ross might help (a bit), but IMO we can't afford to forego a quality mid at 2 for picks lower down to take KPFs and small forwards

The flying viking showed why he's become a hot name in this years draft pool with a key contribution in helping his Gippsland team get up in difficult conditions. He may be a little undersized for a key position player at 191cm, but his full body and soul commitment to everything that he does on the footy field, combined with some elite athletic traits, has people excited about what he might be capable of in the future. He demonstrated his versatility by playing in both attack and defense in this game, switching his role each quarter to stay up the end where the gale force wind was blowing.

I like Gerreyn but if that testing data is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, it makes total sense as to why he's not spoken about as a Top 30 pick.

If you're athletic at that size then the fact you're a man amongst boys doesn't matter so much. The fact he tested so poorly AND he's a man among boys, he'll go quite late, if at all (and most likely to a WA club).
So you think he'll be there at our second rounder, would you pull the trigger on him there?

The flying viking showed why he's become a hot name in this years draft pool with a key contribution in helping his Gippsland team get up in difficult conditions. He may be a little undersized for a key position player at 191cm, but his full body and soul commitment to everything that he does on the footy field, combined with some elite athletic traits, has people excited about what he might be capable of in the future. He demonstrated his versatility by playing in both attack and defense in this game, switching his role each quarter to stay up the end where the gale force wind was blowing.

Very Under 12 strategy on the part of the Gippy coach, crafty

Based on his testing results (and some go home factor), I wouldn't spend anything more than a 3rd rounder on him, if that.

Combine could change that.
Yes but you did say you like him, so you obviously see the potential (the eye test) and as Bangers said WA testing not always the best. Which parts do you think an AFL program cant address? The upside for him is surely enormous.

Yes but you did say you like him, so you obviously see the potential (the eye test) and as Bangers said WA test not always the best. Which parts do you think an AFL program cant address? The upside for him is surely enormous.

Yeah definitely was a fan, but the eye test is only one part of it. The WA U18's comp is the weakest of all the junior comps and the testing data suggests he's dominating because he's just bigger and stronger.

That sort of advantage vanishes at AFL level if you don't have the athleticism or footy IQ to buoy you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah definitely was a fan, but the eye test is only one part of it. The WA U18's comp is the weakest of all the junior comps and the testing data suggests he's dominating because he's just bigger and stronger.

That sort of advantage vanishes at AFL level if you don't have the athleticism or footy IQ to buoy you
He looked far from out of place Vs SA and VicC
I cant tell you just how much i value your input Souup, but ill have to go alone on this one lol. Id feel like we won the lotto getting him with our second rounder.
The pick up gather, bounce and weighted left foot (non preferred) at 1.15 in the second speaks volumes to me.

Last edited:
If we do end up going down the route of splitting pick 2 and targeting KPP's.

I really hope we look at adding Kobe Ryan as a rookie. He is still only 20 and the numbers he is putting up as an inside mid in the SANFL are ridiculous. Averaging 25.9 disposals, 0.7 goals per game, 6.6 clearances, 9 tackles and 3.4 marks. He'll go close to winning Magarey Medal this year.

Feel like he is the type of player who will do everything in his power to get the best out of himself.
Seems crazy with those sort of numbers at still a young age that he'd even be available as a rookie!!! What are his limitations/areas to improve on RF?

Man, I can absolutely see how this is going to play out on draft night. This board will be clamouring for Kayle all night, especially if we split pick 2.

He'll somehow miraculously drop to the 2nd round, then a few picks to 22, right into our hands... And then we'll pick an undersized inside mid instead.

Trainor or Armstrong thats my dilemma. l have always wanted Trainor 1st however after watching and rewatching Armstrong l'm now leaning toward him first. He reminds me of a young Jeremy Cameron. This is where l am all for splitting pick#2 to Richmond for #6 and #9 with either our F2 or this years 2nd. l dont think we can lose if we can get both...

I think the way he accumulates the footy around the ground when playing ruck suggests he has pretty high footy IQ. His possession isn't all because of his bulk imo.

Yes but you did say you like him, so you obviously see the potential (the eye test) and as Bangers said WA testing not always the best. Which parts do you think an AFL program cant address? The upside for him is surely enormous.
You're probably better off flooding Will Thursfield's inbox. He's the one that will he making the decision.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Seems crazy with those sort of numbers at still a young age that he'd even be available as a rookie!!! What are his limitations/areas to improve on RF?

It's probably to do with his body shape. 183cm but still only 76-77kg which is pretty lightly framed for an inside mid. In saying that he has put on 4-5kg since his under 18 days. He is still pretty skinny, but there is absolutely no questioning his ball winning ability and his defensive intensity. His kicking was a pretty inconsistent at junior level but that has improved considerably over the past 2 years.

Jesus man what have you done - there goes a couple of months of every man and their dog hoping for Gerreyn.
This is draft night losing our minds sort of shit

We need a Luke Trainor. For the last 7 drafts we have chosen midfielders and it has worked out well but we need a key defender and an interceptor. We saw the damage of how Comben’s injury destroyed us against the Dogs. We can’t make another mistake. Would like a Harvey Langford, but a Armstrong or a Trainor would be way more useful

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back