Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

While most expect us to finish with about 3-5 wins next season it needs to be noted that some teams above us might not win a lot of games compared to what they won this season as there might just be a gap from 11 or 12 down with the top teams winning more games and the mid tier teams lower down losing more. So l would be waiting for the fixture before saying where we might be finishing...

This list build is taking too long, keep 2 and trade f1 for 6 & 18. I think this is a realistic trade?

Back ourselves to rise out of the bottom 3 with the newly acquired magic beans from trade period and a strong draft hand.

We complete our midfield and we get our talls.

This list build is taking too long, keep 2 and trade f1 for 6 & 18. I think this is a realistic trade?

Back ourselves to rise out of the bottom 3 with the newly acquired magic beans from trade period and a strong draft hand.

I like this end result for us, but I'm not sure we could even get pick 6 for our F1 with it being an unknown pick at this stage. I hope I know nothing, as I feel pick 6 and 18 is about right, but doubt it will happen.

There isn't a snow flake's chance in hell that Richmond would want to do that trade.

We won't even get a top 10 pick for our F1

Richmond would lose a years development for a high end talent with no certainty about where our pick will land.

What's in it for them? They'll be getting more compelling offers from teams trying to offload their future firsts for their later picks.

they would do pick 10 or 11 for our future first

not sure if i would do it

I think a future f1 will be more enticing for them. Our f1 would be guaranteed top 4 in most people’s eyes, with a good chance of it being top 2. It’s a gamble on their part.
I think we are failing to appreciate that we are not the only ones who see great value in acquiring pick 6 this year. Every other club would be happy to have pick 6 this year including the club that currently holds pick 6 this year.

In terms of managing my own expectations, I'm classifying 2 + f2 for 6, 18 and 23/24 as a very good outcome for us from here on in.

There might be permutations of that kind of deal that are even more favourable to us that Richmond will accept, but I'll believe them when I see them completed.

Alternatively, 2 for 6 and 18 I'll regard as just a good result.

If we proceed with our current hand to draft FOS/Draper/Smith with 2 and Darling's understudy with a fourth rounder, I'm going to consider that a pretty average outcome given the options available to us.

they would do pick 10 or 11 for our future first

not sure if i would do it

The only way this would work for us is in a live trade on draft night when it gets to pick 10 or 11 and if either Tauru or Armstrong is still available. Most likely, Richmond would prefer to take either one (or possibly both), but if they have other plans, then I'd consider offering F1, ideally with something else coming back. Same goes for StKilda's picks at 7 and 8. I wouldn't offer F1 ahead of time, but on the night, we could make a play if our target is still on the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only way this would work for us is in a live trade on draft night when it gets to pick 10 or 11 and if either Tauru or Armstrong is still available. Most likely, Richmond would prefer to take either one (or possibly both), but if they have other plans, then I'd consider offering F1, ideally with something else coming back. Same goes for StKilda's picks at 7 and 8. I wouldn't offer F1 ahead of time, but on the night, we could make a play if our target is still on the board.
add shanahan to that list and yes agree

No way the Tigers would do that, F1 for 6 at best.

I know it's all personal opinion, so noone is right or wrong at this stage, but I still think people are both underestimating what pick 2 is worth and over estimating what a future pick is worth. I can't see any hope that a future pick gets a team two first round selections in this draft. In fact I expect Richmond will get Future 1st options from both Essendon and the Suns for their picks from 18 - 25 once the bids for Kako and Lombard are done. Thinking we can get 15 AND 16 from the Giants seems very hopeful.

Then we come to pick 2, which people seem happy to give away for a throw at pick 6 (7) and 18, which becomes 21 after bids. That just seems a huge gamble not worth risking if you look at just about every previous draft. Call the draft a super draft if you like, but even the super drafts hit rate down at those picks would be 50% ish at best. The only deal that gets done should be one that suits both teams...that should mean the Tigers (if they are the club keen) getting a sure thing at 2 and us getting 6 and either another very good pick or more than one more shot at it. I've already said I wouldn't do 6,10 for 2, but I can see why the club would accept that if they have their heart set on talls. If the offer is something ridiculous like 6,18 (or worse) you run away or they add a third selection in the 20's to give us a better chance at getting the pick right.

With the draft being so even, do we think the top end of draft will end up being a lot more unpredictable compared to previous drafts? I can see players going earlier than expected and clubs shifting picks in and out.

With the draft being so even, do we think the top end of draft will end up being a lot more unpredictable compared to previous drafts? I can see players going earlier than expected and clubs shifting picks in and out.
i expect the top 4 to be locked in regardless of who has pick 2

Lalor, FOS, Jagga and Draper

from there it gets unpredictable at dees pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back