Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There is so much upside with him it’s ridiculous. I don’t recall a tall at junior level who is as physically impressive as him, moves like him and disposes of the ball so naturally.

If he is there from pick 15 onwards someone is getting a steal.
Would you liken him to Treacy?

It does beg the question, if it is even but deep draft how does such a talented tall slip back so much?

WA and SA talls tend to be more underrated unless they are playing regular senior footy, like Curtin & Mcdonald.

Recruiters tend to hold more stock on Coates league form over SANFL/WAFL colts form.

There is so much upside with him it’s ridiculous. I don’t recall a tall at junior level who is as physically impressive as him, moves like him and disposes of the ball so naturally.

If he is there from pick 15 onwards someone is getting a steal.
I reckon pick 15 is where we need to be aiming if we want to add Gerreyn. If the Lions drop out of finals early then we should be positioning ourselves to be the best point offer for their first rounder.

If not he's guaranteed to be one of those players that Sydney or Geelong pick up "out of nowhere" and then proceeds to dominate for a decade.

Who would suit us in our draft would be Harvey Langford. He can play that mid-forward role and help out our boys with the issue we have in our forward line.

Don't think Gerreyn would go that early, he's not even in the top 30 of most mock drafts so we might be a real chance at pick 22. Perhaps another club with a late 1st might consider him like Freo a bit earlier than expected.
Ive been saying get Gerreyn with our 2nd for a while in the belief we'd be taking him early. Im not sure about using additional draft capital to get him earlier than pick 22 given there will be other good key fwds on the table.

I reckon pick 15 is where we need to be aiming if we want to add Gerreyn. If the Lions drop out of finals early then we should be positioning ourselves to be the best point offer for their first rounder.

If not he's guaranteed to be one of those players that Sydney or Geelong pick up "out of nowhere" and then proceeds to dominate for a decade.
As much as i want him, that seems a bit high and would cost a split of pick 2. That would be before both Whitlock boys, but who knows maybe it happens. Being a fwd who can pinch hit ruck is suitable for us, so id take him before them. Even if he's gone at our pick there would still be numerous quality tall fwds on the table.

Pmbangers latest rankings

View attachment 2096008
Like that a lot, albeit much different rankings to mine. I hope the likes of Gross, Hynes and Davis do push up that far. Going to give us far more options into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

If Kayle Gerreyn, Matt Whitlock and Jonty Faull fall outside the top 30. We should be doing everything in our power to get picks 31,32 & 33.

Who would suit us in our draft would be Harvey Langford. He can play that mid-forward role and help out our boys with the issue we have in our forward line.
We all see it different, but for me id be taking FOS or Draper and then Gerreyn.

FOS we can set up off HB for a few years and then ultimately a wing. Draper can play fwd/mid for a few years bringing us badly needed speed. Both are super classy and would fill needs for us.

Likewise with Gerreyn as a FWD/Ruck option. We'd still want another tall fwd and may get one later in the draft and/or be a chance at Ludowyke next draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like that a lot, albeit much different rankings to mine. I hope the likes of Gross, Hynes and Davis do push up that far. Going to give us far more options into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

If Kayle Gerreyn, Matt Whitlock and Jonty Faull fall outside the top 30. We should be doing everything in our power to get picks 31,32 & 33.
Eagles could be sniffing at 23 too. They could swing Allen back to fill the CHB hole Barrass creates and plonk Gerreyn at FF next to Waterman and J Williams with Ryan, Dewar and Champion all at the drop of the ball. Their backline gets structure again and their forward line is dangerous - especially with Reid swinging through there too.

If we want him it will need to be pick 22 I reckon.

Eagles could be sniffing at 23 too. They could swing Allen back to fill the CHB hole Barrass creates and plonk Gerreyn at FF next to Waterman and J Williams with Ryan, Dewar and Champion all at the drop of the ball. Their backline gets structure again and their forward line is dangerous - especially with Reid swinging through there too.

I think he's talking about getting one of the others as well by getting our 3d into that range.

WA and SA talls tend to be more underrated unless they are playing regular senior footy, like Curtin & Mcdonald.

Recruiters tend to hold more stock on Coates league form over SANFL/WAFL colts form.

Makes sense but I think in Gerreyn's case, the fact he has been consistently dominating at Colts level has to count for something. Could you argue he has probably been the most consistent performer of all the key forward prosects this year?

Allens's too short to be a CHB and is far more dangerous of HB, mid or HF!!
PS. Allen's my personal fave and would love him at North, he's versatility and agressivness at the ball contest is such a point of difference with any player his height on our list.

WCE first needs to get the picks and they definately take the scraps of who ever is left in the Jagga, FOS, Draper outcome.

Hmm I'm not so sure. They love the local recruits but I bet they'd be reluctant to shift Allen back when he is a proven gun CHF. They have Allen, Waterman, Darling, with the developing Jack Hutchison, Jack Williams and Archer Reid, who are both showing signs. They also have Ryan Maric who has played a bit further up the ground this year. Adding another key forward to that mix probably wouldn't make heaps of sense when they have other pressing needs all over the ground.

Their draft hand is going to change considerably as well because they'll get a first rounder for Barass, and they'll likely target Grainger-Barass as part of that trade too. Likely going to go after Baker, Jack Graham and others as well. They may not end up with a pick in the range where Gerreyn is likely to be taken.

On a side note, hopefully someone bids early on Malakai Champion really early and it torches their pick 23.

Allens's too short to be a CHB and is far more dangerous of HB, mid or HF!!
PS. Allen's my personal fave and would love him at North, he's versatility and agressivness at the ball contest is such a point of difference with any player his height on our list.

WCE first needs to get the picks and they definately take the scraps of who ever is left in the Jagga, FOS, Draper outcome.
He's 2cms shorter than Charlie Comben and he killed it at CHB when Barrass and McGovern were out injured in previous years.

Hmm I'm not so sure. They love the local recruits but I bet they'd be reluctant to shift Allen back when he is a proven gun CHF. They have Allen, Waterman, Darling, with the developing Jack Hutchison, Jack Williams and Archer Reid, who are both showing signs. They also have Ryan Maric who has played a bit further up the ground this year. Adding another key forward to that mix probably wouldn't make heaps of sense when they have other pressing needs all over the ground.

Their draft hand is going to change considerably as well because they'll get a first rounder for Barass, and they'll likely target Grainger-Barass as part of that trade too. Likely going to go after Baker, Jack Graham and others as well. They may not end up with a pick in the range where Gerreyn is likely to be taken.

On a side note, hopefully someone bids early on Malakai Champion really early and it torches their pick 23.
Darling will be playing WAFL, Maric has moved to a wing, DGB has been a dud, Hutchinson is tweener HFF, Archer Reid, is unknown yet and Williams is the only sure thing who looks nice.

I get the WCE will be chasing speed and skill (like us) but they love their talls and it wouldn't surprise me if they nabbed him in the second round.

I hope not because I want him sitting our forward line.

A minor tragedy occured in this game. Through one and a bit quarters of football we'd been treated to one of the best head to head battles of the year between Lindsay and Langford, directly matched up on each other in the middle and each at the absolute top of their game. Unfortunately we lost Xavier to a suspected PCL injury, cutting short the spectacle and probably cutting short his season given how few weeks we have remaining.

In his one quarter and 4 mins of play Lindsay racked up 11 disposals and 5 clearances showing just how hot a start he'd made.

Darling will be playing WAFL, Maric has moved to a wing, DGB has been a dud, Hutchinson is tweener HFF, Archer Reid, is unknown yet and Williams is the only sure thing who looks nice.

I get the WCE will be chasing speed and skill (like us) but they love their talls and it wouldn't surprise me if they nabbed him in the second round.

Luckily our 2nd is before them

We said the same about Darling this year.... Either way, I think Allen and Waterman are mainstays in that forward line. You aren't going to mess with a setup that is capable of kicking 100 goals each year.

A key defender to replace Barrass would be their priority imo. They'll get Grainger-Barass as cheap mature depth, and they'll likely go to the draft and pick up a Whitlock or O'Farrell type.

A minor tragedy occured in this game. Through one and a bit quarters of football we'd been treated to one of the best head to head battles of the year between Lindsay and Langford, directly matched up on each other in the middle and each at the absolute top of their game. Unfortunately we lost Xavier to a suspected PCL injury, cutting short the spectacle and probably cutting short his season given how few weeks we have remaining.

In his one quarter and 4 mins of play Lindsay racked up 11 disposals and 5 clearances showing just how hot a start he'd made.

Rotten luck, somebody's likely going to get a bargain slider for waiting a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back