Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Is not the right pairing with Larkey. Too many double grabs and chest marks. Larkey needs to be paired with a contested marking keyforward, unless Clarko wants to continue playing 3 talls.
That's my problem with Armstrong. Too many double grabs and dropped marks. Yes he's kicking goals and ultimately that's all that matters but I'd like him to hold onto his marks more often.

Is not the right pairing with Larkey. Too many double grabs and chest marks. Larkey needs to be paired with a contested marking keyforward, unless Clarko wants to continue playing 3 talls.
Thats why Larkey, Armstrong and GMan. The later is a solid grab and the very least crashes packs, 2nd ruck, booming kick and strong below knees. Armstrong at least for a while can play more like a tall flanker, getting up the ground and has good pace n smarts to be part of transition and hit the scoreboard.

Its not just a matter of who suits Larkey best, it about building a high quality function fwd line. As mentioned by a few posters, they see a little Hawkins in GMan and Cameron in Armstrong. Not saying they'll be as good of course, but in time they'll be the two we build around. The other thing is Cats probably got 2-3 years of them together at or near their prime, we'd get 8 years.

Last edited:
Nobody really believes that though, do they? Jason simply isn't that clever or conniving. We messed it up. We should have done better research on Jason before knocking back the trade offers. And once we decided to draft him we should have put better supports in place. The kid wasn't equipped to spend another year with us, with him and his family constantly harassed by both Adelaide teams. This was something we should have called out and protected him from but squibbed instead.
Lots of people believe it, both when he was drafted and when he left. JHF doesn’t have to be the architect of it, that’s what agents and families are for. Or Port.
NMFC should have just made the trade with Adelaide and not worried about the criticism of ‘not backing yourself in.’

Nobody really believes that though, do they? Jason simply isn't that clever or conniving. We messed it up. We should have done better research on Jason before knocking back the trade offers. And once we decided to draft him we should have put better supports in place. The kid wasn't equipped to spend another year with us, with him and his family constantly harassed by both Adelaide teams. This was something we should have called out and protected him from but squibbed instead.
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

But im not going to be all emo about it either, we got Wardlaw. While very different players Wardlaw can be just as good in his less flashy workman like way.

Lots of people believe it, both when he was drafted and when he left. JHF doesn’t have to be the architect of it, that’s what agents and families are for. Or Port.
NMFC should have just made the trade with Adelaide and not worried about the criticism of ‘not backing yourself in.’

In 2021, Richmond offered us Pick 9, 17, and 28 for Pick 1. Adelaide offered Pick 6 from 2021, and what turned out to be Picks 5 (sliding to 6) and 14 (sliding to 18) from 2022. I still don't agree that either offer was all that enticing.

Also, compare it to what West Coast knocked back for Harley Reid last year, which would have involved Pick 3 and two of our late first rounders. I think we were right to offer no more than that and West Coadt was right to knock it back. They wanted 2 and 3 at the very least and we would have been crazy to make that trade.

Certainly some mistakes were made with handling Jason, but not all of it was our fault. The family and the manager refused our strong recommendation that he be billeted with a family. They wanted him living on his own which remains the most bizarre demand for a kid who was clearly not emotionally mature enough or equipped in terms of life skills.

In 2021, Richmond offered us Pick 9, 17, and 28 for Pick 1. Adelaide offered Pick 6 from 2021, and what turned out to be Picks 5 (sliding to 6) and 14 (sliding to 18) from 2022. I still don't agree that either offer was all that enticing.

Also, compare it to what West Coast knocked back for Harley Reid last year, which would have involved Pick 3 and two of our late first rounders. I think we were right to offer no more than that and West Coadt was right to knock it back. They wanted 2 and 3 at the very least and we would have been crazy to make that trade.
I don’t feel strongly either way, but wouldn’t compare it to the Reid offers. You can only go on what is there at the time.
I’m just saying that our club appears to have a tendency to make list decisions based in potential media negativity or noise. They did it with Boomer, and I suspect they did it with JHF.
History has shown that when you make decisions to avoid criticism you usually just open yourself up to cop it from other angles, and in both these cases that has turned out to be the case.
We don’t have a Time Machine, so I’m not going to get too upset about it, just hope the club learns.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

But im not going to be all emo about it either, we got Wardlaw. While very different players Wardlaw can be just as good in his less flashy workman like way.
I agree and I watch Jason and see some really flashy clearance work where he gets on the move and he can be a nightmare for opponents when he's around goal. But the trouble is, when he goes on those Hollywood fly-bys, he needs the ball going his way and he leaves no margin for error. Little wonder he cracked the shits with us when he wasn't given the green light to do that stuff. In his limited midfield minutes, he was required to sweep and block and do the team first things. That clearly doesn't sit well with him.

Adelaide also wanted our 2nd round pick back.

Their offer wasn’t compelling enough to take.

Adelaide also wanted our 2nd round pick back.

Their offer wasn’t compelling enough to take.
The trade wasn’t completed, so we can never know for certain what it would have landed on, and it’s all moot anyway.
In regards to the JHF actions, at least they are locked in for three years now which makes it less likely to happen again.

Certainly some mistakes were made with handling Jason, but not all of it was our fault. The family and the manager refused our strong recommendation that he be billeted with a family. They wanted him living on his own which remains the most bizarre demand for a kid who was clearly not emotionally mature enough or equipped in terms of life skills.
Mistakes aside, I'd be pretty confident Horne Francis was never going to stick it out.

For him to bail after one season says it all really.

Port groomed him a long way out - and are pretty pleased with themselves.

That's cool. We'll bookmark it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs should have the power to trade players to whoever they want - clubs have lost all power even when they’re contracted.

Go home factor solved overnight if this was implemented.

Take No Chase Jase

NCJ ‘I want to be traded to Port’
NMFC ‘ Gold Coast have offered substantially more’
NCJ ‘But step daddy beat em up, already has the MG’
NMFC ‘ enjoy broadbeach’

These counter-factual musings are both futile and fascinating - you can't help being sucked in now and again to the 'what if' scenario.

In which regard, I reckon if John Noble could have his time again he'd take Rachele, Bailey Humphrey and Josh weddle over the dramas with JHF

i don't think we shot the lights out with the final JHFF but it was a strong save. 7/10, maybe even 8/10 considering we were tactically played right up to the line and deliberately blindsided right before trade week under a new coach and football department.

If people are honest, who really thought we'd pull pick #2 back in the deal when the news broke?

10/10 would've been getting a bit more sweetener for sliding #1. #2, F1 + pick circa 20 in either year would've been an achievable result. But that's quibbling

If we really want to bemoan what could've been, had we actively put the 2021 #1 on the market maybe would've drawn out a genuinely enticing bid. Crows obviously look as the most likely, if they got a real sniff maybe they would've ponied up with a real offer like 3x 1st rounders without anything going back.

But they, us and everybody not named Koch got played.

These counter-factual musings are both futile and fascinating - you can't help being sucked in now and again to the 'what if' scenario.

In which regard, I reckon if John Noble could have his time again he'd take Rachele, Bailey Humphrey and Josh weddle over the dramas with JHF

Good drafting by John from a Collingwood h.b.f.

I'm coming round to thinking that not that much separates the longterm prospects of the key forwards we're interested in. I was thinking splitting pick 2. But now I think we just take the best available and pick-up the best KPF still on the board at 22. Then trade in a bunch of old blokes to help with the development of the squad over the next 2-3 years.

I'm coming round to thinking that not that much separates the longterm prospects of the key forwards we're interested in. I was thinking splitting pick 2. But now I think we just take the best available and pick-up the best KPF still on the board at 22. Then trade in a bunch of old blokes to help with the development of the squad over the next 2-3 years.
that's my view as well; I don't know as much about it as others, but someone of Armstrong, Shanahan, 2 x whitlocks, Faull etc is going to be there at 22

That's my problem with Armstrong. Too many double grabs and dropped marks. Yes he's kicking goals and ultimately that's all that matters but I'd like him to hold onto his marks more often.
C'mon ansonholt, think your being a little rough on Harry, if from the start of the year you look at the top six key forwards in this draft and analyse all their performances, you'll find dropped marks, double grabbing, shocking kicking for goal, hand-ball's to opposition players, not enough urgency and trying to do too much at times. Have to remember they are still 18 years old and mistakes like this is just normal.

Can understand liking other forwards but I can tell you the same thing about the top 6 midfielders in this draft, at some stage they have all done this, some to a lesser degree, the fact of the matter is they will learn heaps more when they get onto a clubs list.

Then watch the 1st 2-3 KPFs taken early dominate while the rest have average to Tabener careers...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Then watch the 1st 2-3 KPFs taken early dominate while the rest have average to Tabener careers...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Tabener was a rookie pick. Oscar Allen went at 21, Van Rooyen at 19, Logan Morris at 30.

If the hype is right about a deep draft, there should be plenty of quality at 22 (even if it's likely 25-26 after all the academy BS)

I tend to agree. It’s a national competition, and draftees moving after a year or two deal really doesn’t help the evenness of the comp. You just know a Harley Reid type is never coming to North.

In saying that we wouldn’t have ended up with Sheezel if this was the case, it was well documented that he didn’t want to leave Melbourne due to family.
We had pick one. If we only wanted Sheeze (ie if JHF worked out) we'd have got him.

Would I be pretty close to the mark RF08 by saying that out of all the KPFs Sims has the best hands…seems to have the natural ability to be able to clunk them better than most ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back