Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

that's my view as well; I don't know as much about it as others, but someone of Armstrong, Shanahan, 2 x whitlocks, Faull etc is going to be there at 22
Shanahan and Armstrong will go top 10

But J Whitlock, Gerryn and Faull should be there at 22

I’m still going Smillie pick 2 and Gerryn pick 22

If we split 2 for 6 and 10 then Trainor and shanahan and gerryn with our 3 picks (6,10,22)

These counter-factual musings are both futile and fascinating - you can't help being sucked in now and again to the 'what if' scenario.

In which regard, I reckon if John Noble could have his time again he'd take Rachele, Bailey Humphrey and Josh weddle over the dramas with JHF

Yes he might but he'd still be a Collingwood player who didn't get to play in the premiership and his dad would still be an ex coach.

Seriously though, I don't doubt that David Noble would take those three players in retrospect. We could use them.

C'mon ansonholt, think your being a little rough on Harry, if from the start of the year you look at the top six key forwards in this draft and analyse all their performances, you'll find dropped marks, double grabbing, shocking kicking for goal, hand-ball's to opposition players, not enough urgency and trying to do too much at times. Have to remember they are still 18 years old and mistakes like this is just normal.

Can understand liking other forwards but I can tell you the same thing about the top 6 midfielders in this draft, at some stage they have all done this, some to a lesser degree, the fact of the matter is they will learn heaps more when they get onto a clubs list.
Sure, I take your point about youth and all that, I was just expecting a bit more in the hands department given the hype that surrounds this kid.

I've made no secret of the fact that I want a midfielder and we take the best KPF still on the board in R2.

Surely Faull, Shahahan, Gerreyn, either Whitlock, even Goss or Hanrahan will be there in our second round. There's a heap of midfielder to be picked so there's a good change at least one of them will be available.

I just don't think we need to take a forward at pick 2.

If we split 2 for 6 and 10 then Trainor and shanahan and gerryn with our 3 picks (6,10,22)
Can't see J. Whitlock still on the board at 22. Trainor has red flags re concussions, should not be top 10 on our draft board. If we have 6, 10, 22, then Shanahan, Berry, and Gerryn would be a pretty decent haul.

Lots of people believe it, both when he was drafted and when he left. JHF doesn’t have to be the architect of it, that’s what agents and families are for. Or Port.
NMFC should have just made the trade with Adelaide and not worried about the criticism of ‘not backing yourself in.’
With hindsight, we obviously should have made a trade for pick 1. But the idea that Jason was in a conspiracy from the outset doesn't really stand up. Both Adelaide clubs were all over him and his family all year, this wouldn't have been necessary had there been a pre-existing agreement. He was an immature kid put in a difficult position and he chose his family and Port over us. We were a mess at the time, it's difficult to argue that he made the wrong call.

Tabener was a rookie pick. Oscar Allen went at 21, Van Rooyen at 19, Logan Morris at 30.

If the hype is right about a deep draft, there should be plenty of quality at 22 (even if it's likely 25-26 after all the academy BS)
Would rather land our #1 rated kpf and a pure winger like moraes, etc, at 22, especially if we land Parker and/or Macrae during the trade period.

Even though I think Draper and Reid are the best mids in this draft, I would want to trade down with Adelaide and at least grab pick 24 for 2 bites of the kpf cherry if we draft a mid at 4...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mine would be Armstrong, Trainor and J. Whitlock..

With hindsight, we obviously should have made a trade for pick 1. But the idea that Jason was in a conspiracy from the outset doesn't really stand up. Both Adelaide clubs were all over him and his family all year, this wouldn't have been necessary had there been a pre-existing agreement. He was an immature kid put in a difficult position and he chose his family and Port over us. We were a mess at the time, it's difficult to argue that he made the wrong call.
I think conspiracy probably is too strong. The not signing the extension before the start of the season, as was reportedly agreed pre draft, doesn’t paint a great picture.

All the moaning is not going to change a thing, build a strong core list, regularly add useful role players to the list and when we are on top, add some A graders to prolong the winning culture.

This is a 3 stage process, we are towards the end of stage 1.

Sure, I take your point about youth and all that, I was just expecting a bit more in the hands department given the hype that surrounds this kid.

I've made no secret of the fact that I want a midfielder and we take the best KPF still on the board in R2.

Surely Faull, Shahahan, Gerreyn, either Whitlock, even Goss or Hanrahan will be there in our second round. There's a heap of midfielder to be picked so there's a good change at least one of them will be available.

I just don't think we need to take a forward at pick 2.
Good points, yeah look its going to be very interesting in what we do and who Will & Brady select with our first pick, I also get your point that you want a midfielder, my only question is if we go that way and don't split would you be happy with the 3rd or 4th best forward in the draft if things fall that way? I love Finn, I love Sid, and if we don't rate Harry then I'M about 99.99% sure we either rate Jack Whitlock or Kayle Gerreyn and I don't think captain Jack Sparrow, err sorry, Whitlock will be there, who does that leave?

Answer; Jobe Shanahan, Kayle Gerreyn and Jonty Faull, and that's if someone doesn't pull the trigger on Kayle first. I might be wrong but I've got a feeling that we are going to try and split our pick 2 and that with one of our picks its going to be our new key forward, with the other pick I think I'll just leave that for a bit and see who we bring in through the free agency period first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good points, yeah look its going to be very interesting in what we do and who Will & Brady select with our first pick, I also get your point that you want a midfielder, my only question is if we go that way and don't split would you be happy with the 3rd or 4th best forward in the draft if things fall that way? I love Finn, I love Sid, and if we don't rate Harry then I'M about 99.99% sure we either rate Jack Whitlock or Kayle Gerreyn and I don't think captain Jack Sparrow, err sorry, Whitlock will be there, who does that leave?

Answer; Jobe Shanahan, Kayle Gerreyn and Jonty Faull, and that's if someone doesn't pull the trigger on Kayle first. I might be wrong but I've got a feeling that we are going to try and split our pick 2 and that with one of our picks its going to be our new key forward, with the other pick I think I'll just leave that for a bit and see who we bring in through the free agency period first.
Shanahan and Faull are both decent prospects. One of the Whitlocks will surely be available. We picked up Larkey for almost nothing, same with Carey and I think Longmire too. Punting big on firsts didn't always work out. Schache is one, Paddy McCartin another. Even Cam Rayner as well, at a stretch.

Games of footy are won in the Midfield. We are not there yet in that department. Sheezel is not a pure midfielder. Can go forward and be super damaging. Kerchief can and probably should play wing and do much the same.

I want Smith or Draper. Then we get who we think is the best forward after that. Won't be Armstrong. I get that. Bt this draft is loaded for forwards like few have been. No need to reach at pick 2.

Last edited:
Games of footy are won in the Midfield. We are not there yet in that department. Sheezel is not a pure midfielder. Can go forward and be super damaging. Kerchief can and probably should play wing and do much the same.
I agree that having a midfield on top goes a long way to ensuring a win. But we saw last night that most sides struggle when another side shows consistent ultra high intensity and pressure, can use the ball well and have the forwards that can take advantage.

Rather than necessarily putting all our eggs in the midfield basket, I want us to build a skilled side that is strong and fit enough to apply outstanding pressure throughout a game. Which is why I, like so many people, don't understand why we haven't made it a priority to get one or more high pressure small forwards.

Having said that, if we can't split our first round pick, it will be hard to resist the pressure to draft an elite or near-elite midfielder.

When players are honest they don’t cop the booing from fans - Rozee also said he wanted to stay in Adelaide. Judas did it the underhanded way and was never staying and used our predicament as an excuse.
Would of been interesting if we had done that trade with the tigers - what would he have done
At best, would have put in a trade request 2 weeks ago like everyone else. 😂😂

When players are honest they don’t cop the booing from fans - Rozee also said he wanted to stay in Adelaide. Judas did it the underhanded way and was never staying and used our predicament as an excuse.
Would of been interesting if we had done that trade with the tigers - what would he have done
It’s more the trade with adelaide if that happened what excuse would he have used to go from Adelaide to port

Trade was essentially their pick 6(rachele) and future first (humpries) for pick 1

Half time Oakleigh vs GWV.

Jagga Smith dominating and everywhere as per usual, 20 touches to half time. Ball use has been clean and has been able to get out into open space a lot.

O’Sullivan drifting in and out of the game. A very almost game from him, with a few consecutive clangers (caught HTB, missed bounced into high tackle, 50m penalty on HT siren to give Faull a chip shot). Such a smooth mover, doesn’t seem to have a lot of urgency to accumulate but when he does get it he glides around.

Retschko very solid with his run and skills, Quaynor having a strong intercepting game.

Faull with 3 goals, been a handful for Oakleigh’s defence at times but not an utterly dominant performance in the half.

Hannaford quiet, has shown off good acceleration when he’s gotten it.

Unwin’s defensive pressure in his midfield role has been great, catching a few of the Oakleigh mids out.

FOS took a huge contested mark on the boundary line to have a chance to win the game for Oakleigh, couldn’t convert the check side against the wind.

He, Jagga Smith and Zane Cochrane the best for Oakleigh.

Faull and Ough the best for GWV.

Hannaford came into the game a bit in the second half but nowhere near as prolific as he has been recently, is a moments player.

Will be a cracking match up next week GWV vs Sandy but reckon Sandy gets it done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back