Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

it shouldnt surprise people to hear langford is in the mix and cal ranks him 2. the good judges have been saying it. i bet hes in the mix for richmonds pick 1 too.

personally im starting to hope for jagga smith, but get ready for the langford pick.

I’d love to do 6 & 10 to the tigers

And F1 for pick 9 from freo

6 - shannahan/armstrong
9 - travaglia
10 - Tarua
22 - hannaford
40 - best KPP available

River rookie

Darling & Parker

Doesn’t get much better than that
Bro that's selling cheap.

Bro that's selling cheap.

F1 for 9?

Yeah but you never get full value for a future pick.

One year it’s going to be good value to do it.

And I’ve advocated for it in the past and proven to be lucky we didn’t do it.

But I’m just getting the feeling that we will be picking from 5-10 next year.

Reid and Sheeze delivering inside fifty 15 times a game between them would probably result in 10 goals.

It probably also allows us to use Sheeze as a 80/20 mid-forward split, with Reid rotating with him.
This is why I'm so keen on him. I think he's the best, most intelligent kick in the draft.

He's the anti-Simpkin, as much as I love Jy.

F1 for 9?

There's no reason to pull the trigger unless we're absolutely besotted with a specific 2024 draftee.

We don't have to risk F1 for 9. That's a Luff level unnecessary gamble imo.

What do you want for 2? That should be the valuation for the F1 imo. The risk is the other parties to take on, not ours.

There's no reason to pull the trigger unless we're absolutely besotted with a specific 2024 draftee.

We don't have to risk F1 for 9. That's a Luff level unnecessary gamble imo.

What do you want for 2? That should be the valuation for the F1 imo. The risk is the other parties to take on, not ours.

I hear what you’re saying but I think the evenness of the draft is such that a pick 5 and pick 9 are pretty similar

I’d love to do 6 & 10 to the tigers

And F1 for pick 9 from freo

6 - shannahan/armstrong
9 - travaglia
10 - Tarua
22 - hannaford
40 - best KPP available

River rookie

Darling & Parker

Doesn’t get much better than that
Too cheap for the F1. You'd want a top 5 or two top 10's at least for future pick 1-3.
And don't think you need to take Travaglia and Tauru, both similar types.
I'd take Tauru over Toby. The 194cm height and better athleticism from what I've seen.

F1 for 9?

No chance we are finishing 9th - 14th next year. Well maybe not no chance but pretty damn close to!

Imagine the damage that would be done to this board if Brady traded a likely Top 4 2025 pick for pick 9 this year. Good heavens
Yeah just imagine the criticism Brady would cop from certain posters if he did that trade. Also, imagine the criticism Brady would cop from the exact same posters if he didn't do that trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a relatively low scoring affair, Jonty Faull booted half of his team's 10 goals for the game to carry them to a huge come from behind win over the star studded Oakleigh Chargers. He rode his luck at times, and wasn't able to hold onto as many marks as you might like, but he competed like a demon in the air and on the ground and refused to give an inch or allow anything easy for his opponents. Faull's streak of excellent goal kicking form and his elevated play during this finals campaign has seen his draft stocks begin to rise again.

Yeah just imagine the criticism Brady would cop from certain posters if he did that trade. Also, imagine the criticism Brady would cop from the exact same posters if he didn't do that trade.
It's like Brady can't win whatever he does.

It's what I've heard. Richmond keen also.
Fair enough. I'm sure there are quite a few we're "keen" on, still a lot to play out with pick swaps etc.

The one thing I'm extremely confident about is if we keep pick 2 we're going to end up with a very good player regardless of who it is. I have a few favourites but wont's be disappointed if we end up picking someone else.

Could someone who has seen enough footage explain to me what:
1)Langford’s strengths are
2)how these strengths will translate to AFL
3)how Langford would blend with our current midfield

I’ve seen only a bit but he seems to stuff the stat sheet each week.

Cheers

Could someone who has seen enough footage explain to me what:
1)Langford’s strengths are
2)how these strengths will translate to AFL
3)how Langford would blend with our current midfield

I’ve seen only a bit but he seems to stuff the stat sheet each week.

Cheers
I'm far from an expert on this but his 190cm height/frame would give a point of difference if we choose to take him.
He's a competitor with a high workrate who runs hard, applies defensive pressure, been a consistent performer across the whole year and in big games. He accumulates and has a toughness to him going back with the flight.
His versatility would allow him to be played in different positions because he can go forward and take grabs and kick goals or be moved down back or wing to give some drive from there.
The athleticism (wait on combine testing) and class in terms of his kicking and hand-balling needs improvement but he can hit some beautiful kicks, it's just inconsistent.
From all reports he's worked hard to improve his conditioning, so that's professionalism and drive to get better.
Best case he's a bit of a Jordan Lewis or Jordan Dawson and worst case he's perhaps a Darcy Tucker who's a bit one-paced and gets pressured before he can release the footy and with his height the ball drop takes a bit longer to get to his feet.

Why Tauru if that’s true, we are making a big mistake going for a gamble instead of a more proven young player.

This takes me back to Mitchell talking about Dear and changing his philosophy to drafting to have aggressiveness and competitiveness much higher up the desirable traits in young talent, and those are both words used to describe Tauru. I’m happy with that, someone who throws themselves at the contest and the footy, we can fine tune the rest.

On this if we ended the off season with

In: Parker Houston Darling Draper Tauru
Out: 2024 #2, 2024 #6, 2024 #10, 2024 #64, 2025 R1, 2024 R3

That is a pretty ****ing demonstrable win for me.
It’s definitely an impressive potential haul. But I would be disappointed if we - with up to 8 top 30 KPPs - walked away with only one.

What are the major knocks on Rod Tregenza’s boy?
Not for us per say, just for curious on a player I’d curse for kicking big bags against us in the WAFL years ago…

I notice there’s a guy from Peel Thunder might be worth a look at Corey Trengenza think his Rod Trengenza son who played VFL with us in early 2000s a good goal kicker might be worth investigating

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back