Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He has a great running vertical leap but when you factor in the top 10 & take into account their heights in real life marking contests, he doesn't win one of them.

Averaging out the top 10 - FOS gets beaten on average by 10.5cm per marking contest.

It's important to note that all things being equal and comparing 'apples with apples' he is the only pure midfielder who rated in the top 10 for the running vert.

Apples aren’t apples.

There’s arm length, handspan etc. Absolute reach. It varies wildly even with height.

It’s also only a main considering for defenders (spoil height) and marking tall forwards (absolute marking apex)

But FOS is so much more than just another midfielder, he is Heeney… game changing ability. Competitiveness off the charts, tough… a team lifter.

Can be a fwd, a back, a wingman, or an inside ball winner. Wherever we need a winner, we have one.

Hardly seen a glimpse of it all year. I know he's had his injuries but surely there's a bit of risk there.

Hardly seen a glimpse of it all year. I know he's had his injuries but surely there's a bit of risk there.
There is a risk no matter who you pick.
Jagger- one paced, small, we have a few like him.
Draper- doesn’t have hurt factor, hardly ever shoots at goal no matter the standard
Langford- slow, slow, slow.
Lalor- injuries as well.
Trainor- concussions

FOS still can’t be right imo.

It will all come out in the wash next year what has occurred (I don’t know) or what he’s been dealing with. It’s clearly not just a wrist/hand though. Wouldn’t shock me if it was OP or something.

That 2km time is about 30 seconds slower than his one 12 months ago. He was a sub 6 min 2km runner as a bottom ager.

Has there been anymore info around why there was such a drop off in time?

I'll preface this by saying I'm a fan of FOS and I have been since early last year, however, his injuries this year were relatively minor, and his combine suggests he was able to maintain a relatively high level of fitness. With his that in mind you can't discount the fact that FOS hardly fired a shot on field this year. You just can't.

Limited impact through the midfield, inability to accumulate, and only showed glimpses of his line breaking ability. You'd have to be confident that there is some serious upside there, because his form this year doesn't scream A-grade talent.

I'll be perfectly happy if with pick him, but I'm not as confident as others on here. I'm happy that we'll have some inside knowledge as to what he goes like due to him training with us last pre-season.

I'll preface this by saying I'm a fan of FOS and I have been since early last year, however, his injuries this year were relatively minor, and his combine suggests he was able to maintain a relatively high level of fitness. With his that in mind you can't discount the fact that FOS hardly fired a shot on field this year. You just can't.

Limited impact through the midfield, inability to accumulate, and only showed glimpses of his line breaking ability. You'd have to be confident that there is some serious upside there, because his form this year doesn't scream A-grade talent.

I'll be perfectly happy if with pick him, but I'm not as confident as others on here. I'm happy that we'll have some inside knowledge as to what he goes like due to him training with us last pre-season.
As much as I haven't completely given up on Will Phillips yet we simply can't afford another miss with an early pick.

But FOS is so much more than just another midfielder, he is Heeney… game changing ability. Competitiveness off the charts, tough… a team lifter.

Can be a fwd, a back, a wingman, or an inside ball winner. Wherever we need a winner, we have one.
****en Phil - I’d moved on from FOS and was happy to trade down.
Now you’re gushing profile of him has me wanting him again
Argh

A little birdy has told me that we are 1 of 4 clubs that have interviewed Werribee trio Riley Bice, Jack Henderson and Dom Brew.

After Henderson’s VFL final series a number of clubs tried to get him a late invite to the state combine, but AFL didn’t sign off on it for whatever reason.

A little birdy has told me that we are 1 of 4 clubs that have interviewed Werribee trio Riley Bice, Jack Henderson and Dom Brew.

After Henderson’s VFL final series a number of clubs tried to get him a late invite to the state combine, but AFL didn’t sign off on it for whatever reason.
So shit of the AFL....doesn't surprise me though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Houston(highly unlikely) and Daniel don't come then Bice would be a good cheaper option. He'd be a bit more advanced than some of the kids even though he could still add 5kg's

I'd much prefer if we went for genuine talls instead of overpaying for the 191cm Tauru. Don't get me wrong, I see the appeal, but he isn't really a good fit in the forward line or defence imo. Consider we have Durrsma and Zurhaar playing that 3rd forward type role already and I hate the idea of having an undersize player playing at CHF. In the back half, his one-on-one defending is good, he isn't the best field kick, so he isn't the type of 3rd tall interceptor you want getting heaps of the footy.

Genuine talls only please.
Mate I rate your analysis, but the viking just tested the highest leap at the combine.

191 + 94cm is obviously higher than 200 + 84cm. (Does anyone except for the Whitlocks have a higher reach?)

Add that to Tauru's competitiveness, aggression, and courage, which are arguably class-best among the talls, and its easy to see why we're rumoured to have him in our sights.

Mate I rate your analysis, but the viking just tested the highest leap at the combine.

191 + 94cm is obviously higher than 200 + 84cm. (Does anyone except for the Whitlocks have a higher reach?)

Add that to Tauru's competitiveness, aggression, and courage, which are arguably class-best among the talls, and its easy to see why we're rumoured to have him in our sights.

Tauru is 193cm now , was interviewed on SEN today.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looks more than likely the unsigned players ( Drury , Harvey , laz) are gone.
Trade targets coming in , state league players and draftees

A strong performance from Sam Lalor who like many others was forced to embrace a change in role for the balance of his team. He played the first half in defense and looked comfortable back there, able to use his physicality to out muscle opponents and picking his moments to leave his opponent and attack the game. In the second half he played his more customary midfield role, dominating at stoppage with his tough tackling and winning four clearances for the half.

His movement, hands in close and kicking reminds me of Dusty, Cunners and JW Smith, respectively.

I love him. I can’t profess to watch anywhere near as much juniors as roosfanatic, but what I’ve seen of him has impressed me.
I like the look of him too, but haven’t seen anything beyond highlights. What’s the difference between him and Zane Duursma? Both look to have a similar build and marking ability to me.

I probably jumped the gun with my judgement there. 194 compared to 191 in KP terms is a big difference. I love his aggression as well, biggest stand out.

Looks more than likely the unsigned players ( Drury , Harvey , laz) are gone.
Trade targets coming in , state league players and draftees

I think it’s more just due diligence. Seems we are casting the net far and wide.

Could well have been a discussion about doing a pre season and then potentially getting an SPP spot (B.George).

Regards to Drury, Lazz and Coops it looks like it’s wait and see in relation to list spots, who we recruit, which picks we end up with and which delisted players are available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back