Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You could be right, but I'm not at all confident they'll see it the same way.
They may not.

Then we just add an elite talent. (Hopefully the last top five pick for a ****ing long time.)

That's nuts! Let's be honest with ourselves, our F1 is more than likely going to be a pick somewhere between 2 and 4. Let's say 3 for arguments sake.

So you're going to give up a pick 2 and 3 for 6, 10 and 18? Absurd!
Yep it’s risky! But my rationale is this is the last year we go hard at this deep draft (we already have so many talented younger players) and instead use trade and free agency as main mechanism to improve the list from next year on. I also think we should back ourselves to finish higher than bottom 4 and even if we don’t, the same strategy of drafting best young has been a treadmill to nowhere!

I put it to you that the likelihood of us trading 2 for a top ten 2024 pick and another 2024 first rounder with anyone except for Richmond is well and truly in the territory of fantasy.

View attachment 2146608

Its not defeatist to work under the assumption the Saints and Dees won't trade their top two picks to us, it just shows a capacity to think about it from their perspective.
I get what you're saying, but you're assuming that we are only interested in picks in this draft.

The possibility of trading futures opens up a ton of options, including Saints 7 + F1 or even Adelaide if they see someone like Lalor as the best mid in this class, something like 4 + F1 for our 2 + F2.

Melbourne is a bit trickier because 5 + 9 is likely an overpay, but they've also shown in the past they will be aggressive in moving up for players they like.

If the mindset going into the draft is Richmond are the only option, you hand literally all of the leverage over to them.

I get what you're saying, but you're assuming that we are only interested in picks in this draft.
Go back to the NM Q&A where they spoke openly about how they were prepared to use next years draft picks on experience.

Think about how willing nearly every club has been to trade out of next year into this one.

Diluting our hand this year to have more bargaining chips stored up for 2025 would be inconsistent with both messages.
If the mindset going into the draft is Richmond are the only option, you hand literally all of the leverage over to them.
No you don't. No one is forcing us to trade with anyone. Every trade decision that involves sliding down from pick 2 involves a decision about whether the benefits outweigh the risks. The brains-trust at the club will assess that for themselves. A trade with Richmond has to work for us and them or it doesn't happen.

Yep it’s risky! But my rationale is this is the last year we go hard at this deep draft (we already have so many talented younger players) and instead use trade and free agency as main mechanism to improve the list from next year on. I also think we should back ourselves to finish higher than bottom 4 and even if we don’t, the same strategy of drafting best young has been a treadmill to nowhere!

So if we double our number of wins next season, we are still bottom 3. How many wins do you realistically see us getting? C'mon seriously?

I think those two 1st round picks we have, this year and next, need to net us 4 first rounders this year otherwise it's a fail.

With testing and interviews, all picks have become better in recent times.

Some clubs rate some players higher than others, and recognise they can get them with a later pick. If we rate Tauru very highly and are willing to spend pick 2 on him, we'd be stupid not to trade back to 6 if we can get him there along with acquiring pick 10 or 11.
I’m ok with 6 & 10/11 - 6 and a later than those 2 picks is a no for me.

Sliding back 4 spots and a mid 1st is a great result - but I doubt the Tigers would do that.

I don't see superdraft - I see a couple of very good at the top end then a large amount of players that look ok but not great but hard to separate. Its an even draft IMO.

So if we double our number of wins next season, we are still bottom 3. How many wins do you realistically see us getting? C'mon seriously?

I think those two 1st round picks we have, this year and next, need to net us 4 first rounders this year otherwise it's a fail.
Agree - 6-8 is what we should hopefully win but we are every chance to be bottom 4 even with an improved season.

Huge risk dealing our future 1st - Sharp looks amazing!

As a bit of a talking point I thought I'd do some player comparisons for my top 30. Curious to see others thoughts as this sort of thing is very subjective.

PickNameHeightPositionClubPlays Like
1Levi Ashcroft179cmMidfielderSandringham DragonsLachie Neale or Caleb Serong
2Jagga Smith181cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersAndrew Brayshaw or Nick Daicos
3Sid Draper180cmMidfielderSouth AdelaideMore inside Chad Warner
4Finn O'Sullivan182cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersIsaac Heeney
5Leo Lombard178cmMidfielderGC AcademyFaster and more agile Touk Miller
6Harvey Langford190cmMidfielderDandenong StingraysJack Ziebell with better running capacity & decision making
7Sam Lalor187cmMidfielder/General ForwardGWV RebelsBigger bodied Jordan De Goey
8Josh Smillie194cmMidfielderEastern RangesLess Contested Patrick Cripps
9Jack Whitlock200cmKey ForwardMurray BushrangersBen King
10Harry Armstrong193cmKey ForwardSandringham DragonsLess dynamic Jeremy Cameron
11Alix Tauru191cmGeneral DefenderGippsland PowerCharlie Curnow Forward - Harry Himmelberg Defence
12Luke Trainor194cmKey DefenderSandringham DragonsLuke Ryan or Jordan Ridley
13Murphy Reid180cmMidfielderSandringham DragonsLess contested Harry Sheezel
14Jobe Shanahan194cmKey ForwardBendigo PioneersJesse Hogan
15Tobie Travaglia187cmGeneral DefenderBendigo PioneersLess polished, better overhead Lachie Whitfield
16Alex Dodson203cmRuckSturtDean Cox
17Kayle Gerreyn199cmKey Forward/RuckWest PerthLess contested marking Tom Hawkins
18Bo Allen191cmGeneral Defender/MidfielderPeel ThunderJosh Dunkley midfield - Luke Ryan Defence
19Xavier Lindsay183cmMidfielderGippsland PowerWill Day
20Joe Berry180cmSmall ForwardMurray BushrangersDylan Moore
21Matt Whitlock198cmKey DefenderMurray BushrangersBen McKay defence - Brody Mihochek Forward
22Isaac Kako175cmSmall ForwardCalder CannonsA combo of Nick Watson and Zac Bailey
23Jonty Faull195cmKey ForwardGWV RebelsJosh Treacy
24Taj Hotton182cmMidfielder/General ForwardSandringham DragonsConnor Rozee
25Oliver Hannaford180cmMidfielderGWV FalconsBen Keays
26Cooper Hynes190cmMidfielder/General ForwardDandenong StingraysKyle Langford Forward - Jack Ziebell Midfield
27Tom Sims199cmKey ForwardNorthern KnightsMore mobile Peter Wright
28Malakai Champion172cmSmall ForwardSubiacoShai Bolton
29Tom Gross181cmMidfelderOakleigh ChargersJack Crisp
30Harry O'Farrell196cmKey DefenderCalder CannonsTom Barrass

Well we might win eight games who knows.

I’d be happy with three first rounders this year, that’s all the lost spots we have anyway.

Next year we have the flexibility of trading futures two years ahead as well.

Go back to the NM Q&A where they spoke openly about how they were prepared to use next years draft picks on experience.

Think about how willing nearly every club has been to trade out of next year into this one.

Diluting our hand this year to have more bargaining chips stored up for 2025 would be inconsistent with both messages.

No you don't. No one is forcing us to trade with anyone. Every trade decision that involves sliding down from pick 2 involves a decision about whether the benefits outweigh the risks. The brains-trust at the club will assess that for themselves. A trade with Richmond has to work for us and them or it doesn't happen.
Just because Brady's messaging has included potentially using next years picks doesn't mean we wouldn't be open to futures if they are part of the best trade offer.

And agreed, we don't have to trade with anyone, we should also be confident in adding a top shelf midfielder at 2 like FOS or Lalor as another piece. But we've also messaged that we are willing to move down in the draft a bit. My argument is that Richmond aren't the only club that can offer that kind of deal, so if they lowball us, we should be open to other options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hypothetical: We rate Tauru as the best player and fit for us and are confident that he doesn’t go in the first half dozen picks. Richmond offers 6 and 18 for our pick two. Do we:

a) hold firm, tell them we need ‘overs’, take Tauru at 2 and congratulate ourselves on not getting bent over at the trade table, or

b) do the trade, take Tauru at 6 and pick up another KP prospect (Faull? Trainor?) at 18

I know which outcome I’d rather.

Hypothetical: We rate Tauru as the best player and fit for us and are confident that he doesn’t go in the first half dozen picks. Richmond offers 6 and 18 for our pick two. Do we:

a) hold firm, tell them we need ‘overs’, take Tauru at 2 and congratulate ourselves on not getting bent over at the trade table, or

b) do the trade, take Tauru at 6 and pick up another KP prospect (Faull? Trainor?) at 18

not a

if we hold 2 we take FOS/Lalor

tauru is not worth reaching for

As a bit of a talking point I thought I'd do some player comparisons for my top 30. Curious to see others thoughts as this sort of thing is very subjective.

PickNameHeightPositionClubPlays Like
1Levi Ashcroft179cmMidfielderSandringham DragonsLachie Neale or Caleb Serong
2Jagga Smith181cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersAndrew Brayshaw or Nick Daicos
3Sid Draper180cmMidfielderSouth AdelaideMore inside Chad Warner
4Finn O'Sullivan182cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersIsaac Heeney
5Leo Lombard178cmMidfielderGC AcademyFaster and more agile Touk Miller
6Harvey Langford190cmMidfielderDandenong StingraysJack Ziebell with better running capacity & decision making
7Sam Lalor187cmMidfielder/General ForwardGWV RebelsBigger bodied Jordan De Goey
8Josh Smillie194cmMidfielderEastern RangesLess Contested Patrick Cripps
9Jack Whitlock200cmKey ForwardMurray BushrangersBen King
10Harry Armstrong193cmKey ForwardSandringham DragonsLess dynamic Jeremy Cameron
11Alix Tauru191cmGeneral DefenderGippsland PowerCharlie Curnow Forward - Harry Himmelberg Defence
12Luke Trainor194cmKey DefenderSandringham DragonsLuke Ryan or Jordan Ridley
13Murphy Reid180cmMidfielderSandringham DragonsLess contested Harry Sheezel
14Jobe Shanahan194cmKey ForwardBendigo PioneersJesse Hogan
15Tobie Travaglia187cmGeneral DefenderBendigo PioneersLess polished, better overhead Lachie Whitfield
16Alex Dodson203cmRuckSturtDean Cox
17Kayle Gerreyn199cmKey Forward/RuckWest PerthLess contested marking Tom Hawkins
18Bo Allen191cmGeneral Defender/MidfielderPeel ThunderJosh Dunkley midfield - Luke Ryan Defence
19Xavier Lindsay183cmMidfielderGippsland PowerWill Day
20Joe Berry180cmSmall ForwardMurray BushrangersDylan Moore
21Matt Whitlock198cmKey DefenderMurray BushrangersBen McKay defence - Brody Mihochek Forward
22Isaac Kako175cmSmall ForwardCalder CannonsA combo of Nick Watson and Zac Bailey
23Jonty Faull195cmKey ForwardGWV RebelsJosh Treacy
24Taj Hotton182cmMidfielder/General ForwardSandringham DragonsConnor Rozee
25Oliver Hannaford180cmMidfielderGWV FalconsBen Keays
26Cooper Hynes190cmMidfielder/General ForwardDandenong StingraysKyle Langford Forward - Jack Ziebell Midfield
27Tom Sims199cmKey ForwardNorthern KnightsMore mobile Peter Wright
28Malakai Champion172cmSmall ForwardSubiacoShai Bolton
29Tom Gross181cmMidfelderOakleigh ChargersJack Crisp
30Harry O'Farrell196cmKey DefenderCalder CannonsTom Barrass

Where would you have McKercher, Duursma, Sheezel and Wardlaw in that mix?

I think we're pretty set on drafting at 2, and will be working hard on deals to bring F1 into another top ~10 pick this year. We have enough talent to move up the ladder, adding more future 17 year olds isn't gonna be the answer. And we're not gonna attract better free agents or player trades until we do.

To split 2 we'd need Rich (6 & 10/11), StK (7 & 8) or Melb (5 & 9) to come with a hail mary offer. But cannot see why either of them would with those hands.

The play might be F1 to Richmond's 10/11 spot if there's still someone we really want. Get an extra year of development into a high talent player to grow faster.

Where would you have McKercher, Duursma, Sheezel and Wardlaw in that mix?
I would have Sheezel and Kerch at 1 easily in this draft.
Kerch has breakaway pace and penerative kick. He would go 1 without thinking music.
Sheez disposal at the time was elite and dont see anyone in this draft near his ball use. My only concern for him in his class was taking a med forward that high.
Wardlaw has/had better pace and competative tackling then all in this class in his year. I would think higher upside then anyone else.
Duurs back half of the year was elite in talent league. There is/was hope he could spend time in the middle. Vic C vs Vic M was an elite preformance. I personally have him as better prospect then Smith but not as safe as Ashcroft.

If last years draft class the top 3 for me are going 1 in this draft.

It's not a "good result". It's about fair on a points value thats getting altered by 25% next season to especially prioritize top 5 picks.

In next years draft index, there's a liklihood that 6 & 11 is about parity for 2 on a points value.

As that's the sort of draft hand you are going to have to starting coming with to start matching bids for a Ashcroft equivalent from next year onwards (hopefully)
This was the reported DVI model for next year

View attachment 2146572

Yeah nah. It's still not close. If we get 6 and 11 from Richmond for our pick 2 alone, it will be as a result of Richmond panicking. They don't seem to have panicked so far in their strategy. People keep insisting that Richmond want this way more than we do so they have to pay a premium. Okay, let's let that play out. We'd have to be prepared to hold 2 and use it on best available mid.

Yeah nah. It's still not close. If we get 6 and 11 from Richmond for our pick 2 alone, it will be as a result of Richmond panicking. They don't seem to have panicked so far in their strategy. People keep insisting that Richmond want this way more than we do so they have to pay a premium. Okay, let's let that play out. We'd have to be prepared to hold 2 and use it on best available mid.
Look at the Eagles trade, it'll be 6 and 20 ay best id gather.

That would STILL suit us if i am honest. No one is getting overs, no one even offered overs for JHF or Reid in those drafts

That assumes Tauru isn't taken in the top 5 (if he was our preferred choice at 2 we would want to be confident).

The other alternative is we are happy with one of the six top prospects.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back