Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There will be elite talent in this draft - that's why teams employ scouts and list departments to identify and secure the picks they need to select who they want.

Sure, there will be scouts who think it's very even, but there as sure as shit will be scouts who have identified and elevated 2-3 prospects above all others.

If we want to trade down and get maximum return on 2, i think we need to trade our f1 in before the draft as 2, 62 alone make us look a bit on the needy side.
It also gives us the option of picking a Lalor type at 2 and still getting a Jitlock/Armstrong or Berry around 9-12 mark.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree with getting a F1 in there first to see what flexibility that affords with 2. Could look at something like:

F1 > GWS 16, 21
2, 21 > MELB 5 & 9

• Tauru at 5
  • 1 of Armstrong, Shanahan, J.Whitlock with 9 or 16
  • 1 of Berry, Hannaford with 9 & 16

There are no stand outs amongst the top 3 or 4 mids but there is a reason Carlton sold the farm to get pick 3, same reason Bulldogs sold the farm last year to get pick 4. There is a top tier and the clubs will know who they are. Tigers have 1 pick inside that top tier, depends how much they want a second

No player in this draft is a Harley Reid/JHF stand out pick 1 so anyone in the Top 7-8 is going to be very good player whichever 2 we select with picks 1&6
Yes but that doesn’t change what I said

If you want 2 of Lalor/fos/Jagga you will have to trade up

Otherwise settle for the next rung of mids

This could be our last chance to get a top 2 pick. Take the big bodied mid to complement our group and try and trade in to top 20. If we get a good run with injuries we will do better than peeps think.

I’m all for trading our F1 into this years draft, but like pick 2 it would have to be a decent haul to make us blink. Talk of a pick around 10 or 12 wouldn’t do it for me, as our F1 is likely going to be a top 5 pick again. Talk of two later first round pick (GWS) doesn’t do it for me either.

Really think we should’ve walked away from the Daniel deal rather than give up 25. It decreases how leverage with pick 2 because clubs know we need more picks inside the top 30. Also decreases our ability to trade up a combo of 25 and F2.

So many players I like in this draft and I think we are going to miss out on so many of them.

There will be elite talent in this draft - that's why teams employ scouts and list departments to identify and secure the picks they need to select who they want.

Sure, there will be scouts who think it's very even, but there as sure as shit will be scouts who have identified and elevated 2-3 prospects above all others.

If we want to trade down and get maximum return on 2, i think we need to trade our f1 in before the draft as 2, 62 alone make us look a bit on the needy side.
It also gives us the option of picking a Lalor type at 2 and still getting a Jitlock/Armstrong or Berry around 9-12 mark.

Sure, some players may turn out to be elite and some scouts might rank certain players to be elite. But I don't think that there's anyone available in this draft who would be a lock top 3 pick in most drafts.

I think it's more the way that Kanga's supporters think we really need pick 2 or we will fail in the draft. Let's face it North have 1 pick which is a great pick at #2 but you still have holes to fill in your list and the biggest is a KPF or else you wouldn't have got Darling and using pick 2 is a waste when the best available will be a midfielder. So of course splitting pick 2 makes sense and I agree it is worth around 2x Top 10 picks but for the Tigers it makes No sense swapping say 6&11 for 2 when we can get just as good player at 6 and losing pick 11.
Yep, no need for you guys to trade up unless you have a couple of players you rate above the others - which may or may not be the case.

Sure, some players may turn out to be elite and some scouts might rank certain players to be elite. But I don't think that there's anyone available in this draft who would be a lock top 3 pick in most drafts.
And I'm 100% certain there are scouts/recruiters/list managers/coaches that do have a clear cut top 2 or 3...

And I'm 100% certain there are scouts/recruiters/list managers/coaches that do have a clear cut top 2 or 3...

That's all well and good. It doesn't mean that they are right.

Richmond might have a clear top 3 and they might trade overs to get pick 2. But, in my opinion, that would be a bad move in this draft.

That's all well and good. It doesn't mean that they are right.

Richmond might have a clear top 3 and they might trade overs to get pick 2. But, in my opinion, that would be a bad move in this draft.
It's not really about 'if they're right'

It's about what they believe.

Richmond may have Jagger, FOS, and Lalor as the stand-out mids, and all are very different types. If they want 2 of them, they need to trade up. Simples.

It may be a .mistake, it may be a master-stroke. In 5 years, we'll know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not really about 'if they're right'

It's about what they believe.

Richmond may have Jagger, FOS, and Lalor as the stand-out mids, and all are very different types. If they want 2 of them, they need to trade up. Simples.

It may be a .mistake, it may be a master-stroke. In 5 years, we'll know.

Cool. Except that I'm not taking guesses at what Richmond could potentially believe. I'm talking about what I believe.

I am saying that there isn't a big gap between 2 and 6 in this draft and there isn't even a big gap between 2 and 10 or 11. If I was Richmond then I wouldn't burn a pick to move from 6 to 2.

Cool. Except that I'm not taking guesses at what Richmond could potentially believe. I'm talking about what I believe.

I am saying that there isn't a big gap between 2 and 6 in this draft and there isn't even a big gap between 2 and 10 or 11. If I was Richmond then I wouldn't burn a pick to move from 6 to 2.
Why did the Blues trade up to 3 then They must think there is a big gap. Maybe there wrong .I think there is enough gap for teams to trade up. Thats what makes this such a great draft anyone could be wrong or right Fun times ahead.

It really doesn’t matter what any of us think - it’s what the tigers think.

Brady has said over the last few years - that he had a clear order of about 2/3/4 names well before the draft, let’s hope the tigers have the same.
They have assets to make it happen, if they want it

Last edited:
Why did the Blues trade up to 3 then They must think there is a big gap. Maybe there wrong .I think there is enough gap for teams to trade up. Thats what makes this such a great draft anyone could be wrong or right Fun times ahead.
The blues traded 12 & 14 for pick 3. They didn't give up a pick to move up from pick 6.

Didn't you say there is not a big gap between 2 and 11 So why would they give up2 picks 12-14 to get pick 3.
- 12 & 14 aren't between 11 and 2
- I'm not the blues, I don't need to defend their decisions or their assessment of the draft. I'm giving my opinion.

If I was Richmond then I wouldn't trade 6 & 18 for 2.

• 12 & 14 aren't between 11 and 2
  • I'm not the blues, I don't need to defend their decisions or their assessment of the draft. I'm giving my opinion.

If I was Richmond then I wouldn't trade 6 & 18 for 2.
I doubt very much we would take 6-18 for 2. But like you say it's your opinion. There really is no right or wrong not for 4-5 years anyway. And even then its only hindsight.

There’s a big enough gap for them not to get the 2 best players on their board, that’s why they would do it. Especially with Carlton moving up and targeting a player, if Richmond want that player they’ll move up.

What about our F1 for Tigers #6???
Jack Black Yes GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back