Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just so you know, Saints are not going to be trading away 7 & 8, especially not for future picks. SOS loves this draft and wants in, not out. He has other plans next year. Lyon and Misson have been consistently on message in this regard publicly. We might possibly split 8 for later stuff depending but we'll only part with 7 for an earlier pick.

Came in peace, but just letting you know now to prevent you wasting your time thinking of viable trade options.

By the way, I don't think any other clubs want to trade out of this draft that haven't already, but those that want to will have queues of suitors.
Wasting time discussing things that won't happen? Might as well shut the joint down. It's what we're all here for.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Hypothetical - say Ldu goes and Will gets delisted or traded (he is on a one year extension) we’re down two mids with development.

Plus injury clouds over our other captain in terms on weekly inclusions.

Are you sure we can take the risk letting a Draper, Lalor, fos go?

We have Wardlaw, Sheezel, McKercher, Powell + assistance from Parker. Do we all feel confident with that?

Hypothetical - say Ldu goes and Will gets delisted or traded (he is on a one year extension) we’re down two mids with development.

We have Wardlaw, Sheezel, McKercher, Powell + assistance from Parker. Do we all feel confident with that?
Kinda think that's the beauty of where we sit with pick 2......We will swap if it's a great offer, if it's not it's still a win. Can't go wrong

Kinda think that's the beauty of where we sit with pick 2......We will swap if it's a great offer, if it's not it's still a win. Can't go wrong
Yeah it’s just more so looking at things we can’t control.
Like opps coming after LDU or Tassie and McKercher, kinda putting systems in place incase it does turn south. Because, with just a few names mentioned there - that ‘elite young midfield group’ that keeps getting mention in the rounds, can quickly change.

Yeah it’s just more so looking at things we can’t control.
Like opps coming after LDU or Tassie and McKercher, kinda putting systems in place incase it does turn south. Because, with just a few names mentioned there - that ‘elite young midfield group’ that keeps getting mention in the rounds, can quickly change.
Don't you think with both those blokes, that if they want to leave, we've got other serious problems anyway? We gotta improve next year, which I'm pretty certain we will, so that ticks LDU box you'd think. Colby has just had a first year of getting beaten, the tide will start to turn and he's going to go to Tassie and do it all over again? Don't think it'll happen.

Or us
Think About It GIF by Identity
Hope he slides all the way to pick 62

Josh Smillie the only player among 19 leading contenders to nominate himself as the #1 pick. Not sure if he missed the brief or he's just that arrogant. It's a bold strategy, let's see if it pays off for him.
It's a glowing endorsemen of himself .

Josh Smillie the only player among 19 leading contenders to nominate himself as the #1 pick. Not sure if he missed the brief or he's just that arrogant. It's a bold strategy, let's see if it pays off for him.

The ego will be bruised when he's not even taken in the top 10

I hate the Sicily comparison. He is an interceptor, but what makes him so good is his game breaking kicking skill. He is one of the best kicks in the comp. Taura isn't a good kick at all, and it will probably get worse at AFL level with the additional pressure.

Have been told he is very up himself. Kind of a good thing to have arrogance when playing AFL though. Mattaes Phillipou said the same thing in his pre-draft interviews.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do enjoy the certainty surrounding what clubs will and won't do posted on internet chat forums.

I always find it funny when fans jump on from other supporter bases to argue on aforum about what their club will and wont do.

All Eagles fans would have said no chance when they traded back for 12 and 14 with Owies - not as bad a move as portrayed IMO

North have commented on trading back. Brady was clear we would only trade back a couple of spots. To his credit when he signals like that he doesn't change. That would sugggest we are open to moving back to at worst 6. Ill honestly guess the players we are happy to move back for wont be there at 7 (just an assumption)

I would press LDU for an answer. Tell us so we can have a contingency plan if you leave.

I don’t see us or anyone taking stevens
Konstanty is a much better speculative small forward anyway

But I’m not ruling out a high end small if we split pick 2
I think we will rookie list. I actually haven’t minded what I’ve seen of him. Very rare we turn down a father son. We took Crocker who wasn’t anywhere near Stevens

I wouldn’t press to much.

I just feel he will stay unless something drastically stays. We will offer the most money and from all accounts he seems happy and says as much. It’s in his best interest to wait.

If he left it will be band 1 by a mile in a draft with a much more pointy draft and I doubt he will leave if we are winning.

Turner down Darby Scott who went undrafted

Likewise lachie fairley

Darby could hardly get a game at the Calder Cannons in his top age year. Could've rookie listed Fairley, but he was very inconsistent in his top age and overage years at the Western Jets.

River was one of the best performing players in the APS schools comp this year and played 2 games for Vic Country. He is far closer to the level than those mentioned above.

Perfectly said.

LDU not committing has thrown a spanner in the works regarding draft strategy.

As a safety net I have no issues picking Lalor, FOS, Smith, Smile at 2.

Happy to trade future 1st for a pick or two in this year's draft. There will be options for a tall going well into the 20s of this years draft.

Worst case scenario is LDU leaves as a free agent and we get back a top 4 pick as compensation next year.

Best case he stays and our midfield is set for the next 10 years.

Sent from my SM-A156E using Tapatalk

Darby could hardly get a game at the Calder Cannons in his top age year. Could've rookie listed Fairley, but he was very inconsistent in his top age and overage years at the Western Jets.

River was one of the best performing players in the APS schools comp this year and played 2 games for Vic Country. He is far closer to the level than those mentioned above.

Next, we turned down Byron Jnr, despite playing 2's in SA country footy.

I do enjoy the certainty surrounding what clubs will and won't do posted on internet chat forums.

Who was the Port supporter who had our picks nailed on last year

I wouldn’t press to much.

I just feel he will stay unless something drastically stays. We will offer the most money and from all accounts he seems happy and says as much. It’s in his best interest to wait.

If he left it will be band 1 by a mile in a draft with a much more pointy draft and I doubt he will leave if we are winning.

Yeah this. He'll be a restricted free agent so we get to match any offer and I really can't imagine that anyone else has the cap space to offer him a deal that we won't match unless they were being extraordinarily irresponsible. If that happens, we might be forced to step back and allow that club to destroy themselves while we take 2 picks in the top 3 in a draft that only has 4 standouts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back