Play Nice 2024 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings and other Industry thread

Remove this Banner Ad

GGgQsrZaUAAfioH

If you go back in history far enough you will find the Chinese played a type of football along before the British did!
Kicking a ball isn't exactly rocket science. I am sure everyone did it in some way or another.

But soccer, as we know it, started with a set of rules which everyone agreed with. Same with all the other footballs, which includes gridiron.

For me, football is any sport played outside on the grass with a round large ball, which can be kicked or thrown. (ala "on foot", not horseback, thanks google). Regardless, a lot of words' etymology are a bit off as language evolves. It is that simple. Not something to fuss over.

Insecure Bogan media tart blowhard V'Landys lying again with his obsession with all things AFL!

The only KPI that the NRL are slightly ahead is in the overall TV ratings but ALL the rest the KPIs AFL puts RL to shame plus the AFL owns its own Billion dollar plus Marvel Stadium!

Beautiful set of numbers’: V’landys channels Keating as NRL claims to be Australia’s favourite sport​

Adrian Proszenko

ByAdrian Proszenko

February 21, 2024 — 11.53am

The NRL claims to have overtaken the AFL as Australia’s most watched sport after announcing a $58.1 million surplus for the financial year.

Details of the financial state of the game were revealed after the NRL’s annual report was officially made public. Total revenue reached a record high of $701.1 million, an increase of 18 per cent, while net assets have increased to $260 million. The most recent portfolio acquisitions, the 81-room Mercure Sunshine Coast Kawana Waters hotel and Quest Hotel at Woolooware Bay, aren’t included in the figures announced on Wednesday.
The operating surplus of $58.1 million is slightly down on that of the previous year, which totalled $62.9 million.

Stephen Crichton has promised to bring his NRL premiership knowledge to the Bulldogs.
As the NRL prepares to launch the season with a historic double-header in Las Vegas, the code is marketing itself to Americans as Australia’s favourite sport. League officials claim to have a cumulative viewership of 93.2 million, up 2.4 per cent from the previous year, comprising 47.3 million free-to-air viewers and 46 million subscription television viewers.

By comparison, the AFL has 91 million total viewers (61.2 million free-to-air, 29.9 million pay television). AFL streaming viewer numbers were not available and were not included in the breakdown. The figures were derived from 213 NRL matches and 216 AFL games.
In terms of the respective female competitions, the NRLW has a total viewership of 7.2 million (up 18.6 per cent), while the AFLW has 6.1 million.
The NRL distributed $363.7 million to NRL clubs and players, while average crowds have risen to 20,300, up 25 per cent, to rise to their highest figure in a decade. The code also points to 192,600 registered club male and female participants across tackle and tag formats.
With tongue planted firmly in cheek, ARLC chairman Peter V’landys channelled Paul Keating in describing the financial results as a “beautiful set of numbers.” Keating famously made the statement about Australia’s national accounts when he

Last edited:
I'm not even sure it's a distinction that really matters. Maybe more people watch/engage in NRL, maybe not. But the AFL can clearly gather more revenue from its fanbase in Australia than the NRL can.

This is probably linked to a major cities/rural areas divide, where NRL fans, compared to the AFL, are more disproportionate to the approx 4.5 million people that live in NSW and Qld outside of Sydney and SEQ. (Compare Tasmania, WA/Vic/SA outside of Melb/Perth/Adelaide which is only about 2.7 million people, and this is including Geelong/other places within an hour of Melbourne). Those individuals are just harder to monitise. They go to fewer games, they are less affluent, and their eyeballs are worth less for TV viewership and advertising because there is fewer products demanding regional advertising. AFL fans being concentrated in the six biggest population cities in the countries and a smaller amount outside those makes a big difference.

Those demographics are never going to shift, so it's a pointless exercise. NASCAR probably has more fans than the PGA tour in the US, for similar demographic reasons, and you can argue it's 'the bigger sport', but PGA earns so much more revenue that stating that fact about NASCAR achieves basically nothing.

I'm not even sure it's a distinction that really matters. Maybe more people watch/engage in NRL, maybe not. But the AFL can clearly gather more revenue from its fanbase in Australia than the NRL can.

This is probably linked to a major cities/rural areas divide, where NRL fans, compared to the AFL, are more disproportionate to the approx 4.5 million people that live in NSW and Qld outside of Sydney and SEQ. (Compare Tasmania, WA/Vic/SA outside of Melb/Perth/Adelaide which is only about 2.7 million people, and this is including Geelong/other places within an hour of Melbourne). Those individuals are just harder to monitise. They go to fewer games, they are less affluent, and their eyeballs are worth less for TV viewership and advertising because there is fewer products demanding regional advertising. AFL fans being concentrated in the six biggest population cities in the countries and a smaller amount outside those makes a big difference.

Those demographics are never going to shift, so it's a pointless exercise. NASCAR probably has more fans than the PGA tour in the US, for similar demographic reasons, and you can argue it's 'the bigger sport', but PGA earns so much more revenue that stating that fact about NASCAR achieves basically nothing.
hes basing a lot of his argument on the credibility of a statistical extrapolation

id happily bank hard numbers from crowds, membership and revenue before touting nebulous tv ratings

hes basing a lot of his argument on the credibility of a statistical extrapolation

id happily bank hard numbers from crowds, membership and revenue before touting nebulous tv ratings
Yeah, but even if it is such a credible extrapolation, what does it really achieve for the NRL?

So someone in Mt. Isa or Orange flicks on their TV and watches the NRL. The equivalent person in Adelaide does it, then goes to a Crows game, and gathers more money for the AFL. As you say banking hard numbers.

It is fundamentally the case that
-the AFL has a bigger TV audience which it parlays into bigger TV revenues and
-the AFL has a far bigger attendance / membership culture which drives much higher gate / membership revenues

The city - regional split is second order. It probably contributes marginally to the attendance / membership outcomes but the even then, the NRL has a presence in three of the biggest population centres outside of the 5 metropolises

The new VOZ regime of reach figures being released for top 30 shows is going to lay bare the gap between AFL and NRL FTA audiences at least. The Streaming data released during the finals laid bare the same for Kayo / Fox.

The city - regional split is second order. It probably contributes marginally to the attendance / membership outcomes but the even then, the NRL has a presence in three of the biggest population centres outside of the 5 metropolises
Genuienly believe it's more than marginal though. Once you divide into the statistics of incomes across different regional centres it's bigger than you realise. There's a reasons teams like West Coast, Essendon and Sydney can sell corporate sponsorship, player sponsorship, premium memberships etc that cost close to five figures and sell hundreds if not thousands of these types of memberships, in a way that a Cowboys or Knights can't. There just aren't many people earning hundreds of thousands of dollars in those cities.

Genuienly believe it's more than marginal though. Once you divide into the statistics of incomes across different regional centres it's bigger than you realise. There's a reasons teams like West Coast, Essendon and Sydney can sell corporate sponsorship, player sponsorship, premium memberships etc that cost close to five figures and sell hundreds if not thousands of these types of memberships, in a way that a Cowboys or Knights can't. There just aren't many people earning hundreds of thousands of dollars in those cities.

I think this probably goes to League's significantly weaker cultural presence in more affluent parts of the population (i.e. traditional league v union class split). But it is also a factor of scarcity and access. Bigger clubs only guarantee grand final tickets to the top membership categories. You can buy an NRL grand final ticket deep into Grand final week most years.

I would put the drivers of membership / gate revenue in this order

1. Bigger membership / attendance culture and deeper core connection to clubs
2. Scarcity of ticket availability due to regular sellouts
3 Higher engagement of higher socio-economic groups

There is going to be a lot of NRL tears this year given program rankings are now based on audience reach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Insecure Bogan media tart blowhard V'Landys lying again with his obsession with all things AFL!

The only KPI that the NRL are slightly ahead is in the overall TV ratings but ALL the rest the KPIs AFL puts RL to shame plus the AFL owns its own Billion dollar plus Marvel Stadium!

Beautiful set of numbers’: V’landys channels Keating as NRL claims to be Australia’s favourite sport​

Adrian Proszenko

ByAdrian Proszenko

February 21, 2024 — 11.53am

The NRL claims to have overtaken the AFL as Australia’s most watched sport after announcing a $58.1 million surplus for the financial year.

Details of the financial state of the game were revealed after the NRL’s annual report was officially made public. Total revenue reached a record high of $701.1 million, an increase of 18 per cent, while net assets have increased to $260 million. The most recent portfolio acquisitions, the 81-room Mercure Sunshine Coast Kawana Waters hotel and Quest Hotel at Woolooware Bay, aren’t included in the figures announced on Wednesday.
The operating surplus of $58.1 million is slightly down on that of the previous year, which totalled $62.9 million.

Stephen Crichton has promised to bring his NRL premiership knowledge to the Bulldogs.
As the NRL prepares to launch the season with a historic double-header in Las Vegas, the code is marketing itself to Americans as Australia’s favourite sport. League officials claim to have a cumulative viewership of 93.2 million, up 2.4 per cent from the previous year, comprising 47.3 million free-to-air viewers and 46 million subscription television viewers.

By comparison, the AFL has 91 million total viewers (61.2 million free-to-air, 29.9 million pay television). AFL streaming viewer numbers were not available and were not included in the breakdown. The figures were derived from 213 NRL matches and 216 AFL games.
In terms of the respective female competitions, the NRLW has a total viewership of 7.2 million (up 18.6 per cent), while the AFLW has 6.1 million.
The NRL distributed $363.7 million to NRL clubs and players, while average crowds have risen to 20,300, up 25 per cent, to rise to their highest figure in a decade. The code also points to 192,600 registered club male and female participants across tackle and tag formats.
With tongue planted firmly in cheek, ARLC chairman Peter V’landys channelled Paul Keating in describing the financial results as a “beautiful set of numbers.” Keating famously made the statement about Australia’s national accounts when he

No need to mention other codes at all.

Theres a lot to be excited about in Rugby League.

• The NRL broke 4m in attendance for the first time ever at a record attendance average of 19,633.
  • A hugely impressive expansion launch from the Dolphins which added materially to the league in terms of attendance, television and memberships.
  • NRL clubs set a new record for total memberships, with at least 7 clubs breaking their membership records.
  • NRL clubs are the most followed Australian sporting clubs on social media, with more than 13 million followers across the major social media outlets.
  • The NRL set a new record for TV audiences with 171.8m viewers across the season, up from 150m in 2022, in a year where the NRL season conflicted with a mid year Ashes series and the Womens World Cup.
*Big increase in interest in the expanded NRLW with 7.1m viewers, and 1.2m viewers for the NRLW Grand Final.
* The NRL had a record revenue of 701m - including profit of 58m, record distributions to stakeholders of 447m, has now a record 260m in net assets. The NRL is aiming for a billion in revenue in the near future and continues to build its asset base to protect against possible future contingencies.

And about to launch the highest profile start to the season in Las Vegas in the next two weeks!

The NRL.com article is better than the DT one.

ARLC chair Peter V’landys borrowed a line from former Prime Minister Paul Keating when he declared the NRL’s 2023 financial report as a “beautiful set of numbers”. The NRL announced an operating surplus of $58.2 million after generating more than $700m revenue for a record breaking 2023 season in which television viewers, attendances and participation figures were all up.

GG00Ixsa8AANQXU

I can't figure out how the nrl's cost base is so low. I thought they were lacking in grassroots funding, but they said they put 82 mill towards that which is almost the same as the afl. Now if that's the case you'd think the predominant amount would be in nsw and qld and absolute smack the afl spending there, but then the qrl and nswrl are suing v'landy's for a lack of funding. Something doesn't stack up.

He definitely has the media on side, the telegraph are spouting nrl has dethroned the afl as Australia's biggest sport off their revenue announcement of 700 mill, no mention the afl revenue is around 1 billion.

In saying all that he has definitely turned the NRL ship around, if nothing but for promotion of the code and profits. I see he is also doing the old 'oh I might not go my full term of 3 years' lol, yeah right, as if he could give up the fawning all over him from the Sydney media, zero chance that will happen, I think it's a case of starting the conversation 'gee we better not lose Peter, we better extend out his 3 year term look at the great work he is doing'.

Also I agree, the NRL don't beat the afl on one single metric, especially considering the tv numbers will be fixed this year. I'd still like to see for the amount of crowds, members difference etc, that the afl gap be much bigger on them than it currently is.

I can't figure out how the nrl's cost base is so low. I thought they were lacking in grassroots funding, but they said they put 82 mill towards that which is almost the same as the afl. Now if that's the case you'd think the predominant amount would be in nsw and qld and absolute smack the afl spending there, but then the qrl and nswrl are suing v'landy's for a lack of funding. Something doesn't stack up.
AFL spends a fair chunk of money on things like the U18 national championships, NAB League and the VFL in a way that the NRL has instituted some of these costs baked into the operations of the clubs, of which some are funded by pokies.

AFL spends a fair chunk of money on things like the U18 national championships, NAB League and the VFL in a way that the NRL has instituted some of these costs baked into the operations of the clubs, of which some are funded by pokies.

The NRLs funding to NRL Vic/WA/SA/Tas/NT would be a lot smaller than the money being used to run AFLQ/AFL Vic/AFL NSW/ACT, AFL Tas and AFL NT.

The NRLs funding to NRL Vic/WA/SA/Tas/NT would be a lot smaller than the money being used to run AFLQ/AFL Vic/AFL NSW/ACT, AFL Tas and AFL NT.

That's my point though, i posted on the footy in QLD thread today a whole radio show on how the afl is killing the NRL in grassroots in qld with funding, schools, auskick etc. Yet the NRL spend on grassroots is reported as almost equivalent, yet their funding would be split between predominantly 2 states compared to afl 6 states.

What I'm saying is the NRL would be spending at least 35 mill in QLD I reckon, compared to the AFL maybe 20 mill, yet a whole radio program yesterday in QLD was on how there is no funding for grassroots nrl in the state and they are basically non existent with development officers etc compared to the AFL up there.

That's my point though, i posted on the footy in QLD thread today a whole radio show on how the afl is killing the NRL in grassroots in qld with funding, schools, auskick etc. Yet the NRL spend on grassroots is reported as almost equivalent, yet their funding would be split between predominantly 2 states compared to afl 6 states.

What I'm saying is the NRL would be spending at least 35 mill in QLD I reckon, compared to the AFL maybe 20 mill, yet a whole radio program yesterday in QLD was on how there is no funding for grassroots nrl in the state and they are basically non existent with development officers etc compared to the AFL up there.

The much more plausible explanation is that the NRL's figure is spin and is including a lot of things that wouldn't be considered "grass roots"

My guess is it is the combination of what they are calling "development" below and the distributions to "states and affiliates". We might find that "development" has gone back to what it was in 2019

Ironically "administration" costs were the closest to getting back to 2019 levels by 2022. All the other major cost items - which go to the integrity, quality and growth of the game - were still 10 to 25% lower

He has sacrificed everything else to placate the players and clubs

1708505898389.png

The much more plausible explanation is that the NRL's figure is spin and is including a lot of things that wouldn't be considered "grass roots"

My guess is it is the combination of what they are calling "development" below and the distributions to "states and affiliates". We might find that "development" has gone back to what it was in 2019

Ironically "administration" costs were the closest to getting back to 2019 levels by 2022. All the other major cost items - which go to the integrity, quality and growth of the game - were still 10 to 25% lower

He has sacrificed everything else to placate the players and clubs

View attachment 1910280

Ahh yes, they are combining money to the states with development and then say they are giving 80 mill to grassroots. I thought there was some bullshit involved, the numbers just didn't make sense. V'landy's loves a lie and gets away with it coz the media are on his side. That telegraph article today was truly astounding.

20240221_223812.jpg

It's really strange, looking at last years annual report, that the expenses set out in the Financial Summary do not clearly align with those in the statement.

Comparing that statement to last years, there has been a lot of shuffling around of expense categories

Event, game and sponsorship is $85M this year up from $71M last year.....however in last years FS it was listed at $75M......so $4M that was under this category has been shifted elsewhere.

Quite possible it is the "Administration, integrity and salary cap" item which for 2022 was adjusted up from $18.7M reported last year to $23.6M in this years financial statement (increased to $25.4M)

"Development" was adjusted down from $43M to $37.8M

"Clubs and players" was adjusted up $10M. The increase in the Clubs and Players payments, after you deduct the increase in media contra, absorbed 80% of the increase in revenue. And that's not factoring that some of that revenue increase would have associated expenses (i.e. the hotels)

1708553018512.png

It's really strange, looking at last years annual report, that the expenses set out in the Financial Summary do not clearly align with those in the statement.

Comparing that statement to last years, there has been a lot of shuffling around of expense categories

Event, game and sponsorship is $85M this year up from $71M last year.....however in last years FS it was listed at $75M......so $4M that was under this category has been shifted elsewhere.

Quite possible it is the "Administration, integrity and salary cap" item which for 2022 was adjusted up from $18.7M reported last year to $23.6M in this years financial statement (increased to $25.4M)

"Development" was adjusted down from $43M to $37.8M

"Clubs and players" was adjusted up $10M. The increase in the Clubs and Players payments, after you deduct the increase in media contra, absorbed 80% of the increase in revenue. And that's not factoring that some of that revenue increase would have associated expenses (i.e. the hotels)

View attachment 1910522

Yep something shifty definitely going on. I think he has taken money out of game development, that's why all the whingeing from the qrl and leagiues in qld at the moment. A development officer that was a former nrl player was stating yesterday that the afl have heaps more soldiers on the ground in qld, they only have 9 development officers in their qld nrl group covering a massive area.

The expenses being so low the cuts had to come from somewhere, I know they closed their digital arm, which might be a decent decision because news.ltd basically run it for them for free, but how you can run a business of that size with barely any employee salary and still be pumping out the same numbers elsewhere? It doesn't make sense, plus surely the Vegas venture is extremely expensive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings and other Industry thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back