Play Nice 2024 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings and other Industry thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It a was just more BS from V'Landy's pushed as usual as a fact by the Sydney Murdoch DT gutter rag who seem to be in awe of the bogan media tart and the only reason that RL gets more TV viewers overall than the AFL is the 3 x ARL SSO matches!

On EVERY other KPI the AFL is miles ahead and they OWN Marvel Stadium which has just had a $250 million Victorian Govt sponsored makeover and with sellout concerts like the recent Pink and the Matilda's match last night plus 4 x Cold Play concerts and 2 x Pearl Jam Concerts after the AFL season finishes the AFL has a steady income stream and would make a handy profit from those the events at the Stadium so they don't just have to rely on the AFL Matches.

The only growth area the NRL is pushing hard is more gambling income.

The point is that it doesn't get higher TV viewers overall. It produces a higher number when you add up all the per match average ratings and ignore that such a comparison is mathematically silly.

In order of the three potential measures useful for comparison:

Best: Reach - despite its methodological limitations (eg potential inflation from people tuning in to watch the following show) it probably has a slight bias towards the longer game (as there is more opportunity for someone to surf passed the channel and watch a minute with little interest)

2nd: Accumulated viewer hours - this is probably more biased to the AFL as it has 50% more hours to watch over the course of a season (though realistically, there wouldn't be too many people watching more than 16 hours a week, people who just watch their own team play would show up higher for AFL than NRL).

3rd: accumulated average - mathematically incoherent and heavily biased to sport with smaller duration

The point is that it doesn't get higher TV viewers overall. It produces a higher number when you add up all the per match average ratings and ignore that such a comparison is mathematically silly.

In order of the three potential measures useful for comparison:

Best: Reach - despite its methodological limitations (eg potential inflation from people tuning in to watch the following show) it probably has a slight bias towards the longer game (as there is more opportunity for someone to surf passed the channel and watch a minute with little interest)

2nd: Accumulated viewer hours - this is probably more biased to the AFL as it has 50% more hours to watch over the course of a season (though realistically, there wouldn't be too many people watching more than 16 hours a week, people who just watch their own team play would show up higher for AFL than NRL).

3rd: accumulated average - mathematically incoherent and heavily biased to sport with smaller duration

I actually took notice of this the past few weeks when doing my usual flick onto the soccer and rugby just to see what's happening and to my surprise, I was never ever on for more than a minute at a time. A minute is longer than you think when actually watching, I do agree on the lag viewers from other top rating tv shows though is a possibility, but only for 1 or 2 AFL games per week (Thursday and Saturday night).

Not sure why people care so much what nrl if Vegas experiment works good luck to them. They have bigger TV viewership we have more crowds and members so both sides win depends on what perspective you take.
Afl is more advertiser friendly more stoppages and breaks hence bigger TV deal despite less TV viewers.

My neighbour is from Atlanta and follows Hawks Braves and Falcons why cant we support our afl team, storm, rebels and victory/city?

We care because it's completely misleading and your post indicates why it's annoying, because the fallacy of more viewers watching nrl has been repeated so many times, even afl fans believe it now (or more accurately, trolls on afl forums pedalling it).

He is the master because no troll can survive as long as he has. Hence the accolades.
He has trolling to a fine art. The subtleness is next level.

Everyone can see straight through the bullshit besides the stupid mods.

I think your last sentence is doing a lot of heavy lifting there!

Not sure why people care so much what nrl if Vegas experiment works good luck to them.

People are commenting on how delusional it is. The only people talking about it working and getting 2% of the american population on board are delusional League trolls that come on here.

They have bigger TV viewership we have more crowds and members so both sides win depends on what perspective you take.
Afl is more advertiser friendly more stoppages and breaks hence bigger TV deal despite less TV viewers.

The AFL has a bigger TV viewership as well, hence "we" get far more money from both FTA and from foxtel which doesn't have ads in play!

My neighbour is from Atlanta and follows Hawks Braves and Falcons why cant we support our afl team, storm, rebels and victory/city?

Good on him. I am guessing most people here follow sports and teams from multiple sports....

How on earth is this relevant to anything?

Good read an insight on both codes nrl had more viewers last year 15M more less games and (not including Origin). Nrl has 2M more social media followers then AFL and combined nrl teams had more social media followers than afl teams even though afl has one more team then nrl.
Apparently stating facts makes you a troll

Good read an insight on both codes nrl had more viewers last year 15M more less games and (not including Origin). Nrl has 2M more social media followers then AFL and combined nrl teams had more social media followers than afl teams even though afl has one more team then nrl.
Apparently stating facts makes you a troll

Lol you're the most obvious troll around, can't believe you're still allowed on this site. Go back to league unlimited already.

This thread in particular seems to attract throwball trolls. A guy yesterday signed up to make one post about nrl tv ratings 😅. Unless it was you 2 eazy, a troll account to support your original troll account?

A simple understanding of which sport is bigger is by using Google Trends data.

I believe by using these terms, it automatically links all relevant data to the google trends (ie searches for team names, etc.)

1709254802210.png

AFL index: 36, NRL index: 26 over the last 5 years.

If we just use the generic search terms "AFL" and "NRL" (which I don't think Google attaches all associated data too, just the search terms) we get marginally closer indexes of AFL 34 and NRL 26:

1709254918634.png

Interesting that these percentage index difference (of about 35%) is almost identical to the difference in revenue and media rights deal value. It's almost as if the numbers are accurate.

It's pretty uncontroversial but it can be summarised to:

• Population south of the Barassi line is slightly more than north
  • Population south of the Barassi line is slightly more concentrated in the biggest cities, who are richer, but otherwise more appealing to advertisers (potential advertisers may only sell products or services in the cities but not the regional areas), and otherwise live in areas that are closer to the games themselves, meaning they contribute more to revenue through attendance and memberships
  • AFL has a bigger foothold north of the line, given there has been continuous AFL presence in places like Cairns and Gold Coast, as well as newly established growth in places like Northern Sydney, as well as Brisbane/Sydney having established fanbase. NRL has some fans in Melbourne and a tad in Perth, but basically no presence such as Tasmania and South Australia.

I believe by using these terms, it automatically links all relevant data to the google trends (ie searches for team names, etc.)

View attachment 1916764

If we just use the generic search terms "AFL" and "NRL" (which I don't think Google attaches all associated data too, just the search terms) we get marginally closer indexes of AFL 34 and NRL 26:

View attachment 1916767

Interesting that these percentage index difference (of about 35%) is almost identical to the difference in revenue and media rights deal value. It's almost as if the numbers are accurate.

• Population south of the Barassi line is slightly more concentrated in the biggest cities, who are richer, but otherwise more appealing to advertisers (potential advertisers may only sell products or services in the cities but not the regional areas), and otherwise live in areas that are closer to the games themselves, meaning they contribute more to revenue through attendance and memberships
  • AFL has a bigger foothold north of the line, given there has been continuous AFL presence in places like Cairns and Gold Coast, as well as newly established growth in places like Northern Sydney, as well as Brisbane/Sydney having established fanbase. NRL has some fans in Melbourne and a tad in Perth, but basically no presence such as Tasmania and South Australia.

Another source of validation for that relativity are every survey that's ever been done based on revealed interest (including TV viewership).

Hunter Fujak's Code Wars book had a neat table breaking one of these surveys down

1709259305118.png

In addition to your point of football being more popular north of the Barrassi line (22% in Sydney and 24% in Brisbane compared to League with 12% in Melbourne, 11% Adelaide, 13% Perth, 16% Tassie), football is far more popular in its heartlands (56 % M and A, 54% T and 49% P) than League is in its ( 41% S and B)

AFL lives rent free in the minds of the self proclaimed greatest game of all: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/.../e2e6a0acfe1c643f1b9bfac831068776#share-tools

BRENT READ!!!!! Kwality

Why AFL, rugby fear NRL’s Las Vegas extravaganza​

The NRL is making noise in the US and while rival codes dismiss it as one-off, Las Vegas shapes a history defining moment that will permanently alter the sporting landscape, BRENT READ writes.

Can anyone with a subscription give us a summary of the "argument"?

It is amazing how white-eyed "THIS IS GOING TO BE A ROARING SUCCESS" seems so prevalent in League land....

Even read an article on the Guardian of a "this is different this time" nature

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1916764

View attachment 1916767

Yeah but it's harder to fake Google searches a real person has to be there to punch in the search all the time. Easier to mislead on total tv viewers, crowd numbers, members (I saw the west tigers were faking 50 percent of their whole membership base last week) and social media likes.
BRENT READ!!!!! Kwality

Can anyone with a subscription give us a summary of the "argument"?

It is amazing how white-eyed "THIS IS GOING TO BE A ROARING SUCCESS" seems so prevalent in League land....

Even read an article on the Guardian of a "this is different this time" nature

Just more Sydney biased crap really. I've gotta say, the media biased has skyrocketed even more lately. It use to be 70.30, now it's about 80.20 if we're lucky. Dunno why the Herald Sun even prints this garbage, the article has nothing to do with the afl.

It's the one thing the nrl does win, despite less members, Google searches, fans, tv viewers, participation, revenue and sponsorship, it wins on saturation media coverage. It's also the constant mocking of the afl through news.ltd has gone up as well lately.

I dunno if it's Lachlan Murdoch taking over, but something nobody ever said, bring back Rupert.

Screenshot_20240301-160450_Chrome.jpg

Yeah but it's harder to fake Google searches a real person has to be there to punch in the search all the time. Easier to mislead on total tv viewers, crowd numbers, members (I saw the west tigers were faking 50 percent of their whole membership base last week) and social media likes.

Just more Sydney biased crap really. I've gotta say, the media biased has skyrocketed even more lately. It use to be 70.30, now it's about 80.20 if we're lucky. Dunno why the Herald Sun even prints this garbage, the article has nothing to do with the afl.

It's the one thing the nrl does win, despite less members, Google searches, fans, tv viewers, participation, revenue and sponsorship, it wins on saturation media coverage. It's also the constant mocking of the afl through news.ltd has gone up as well lately.

I dunno if it's Lachlan Murdoch taking over, but something nobody ever said, bring back Rupert.

View attachment 1916944

Irrespective of whether these matches a success or not (with whatever metric you want use), it's illogical and problematic for the leadership of the sport to claim that gaining long-term American fans to help the NRL bottom line is kind of ridiculous. The time zones simply don't allow for it. The matches will be in the middle of the night.

View attachment 1916944

The mocking of other footy codes has been cranked up since Peter V'landys became chairman, ceo and face of news corp's baby aka the nrl.

The mocking of other footy codes has been cranked up since Peter V'landys became chairman, ceo and face of news corp's baby aka the nrl.

I'd rather take the extra $200 million a year from extracting every last dollar from news limited than getting off on puff pieces about my preferred sports Chair that came at the expense of getting a fair deal

Don't know about the league trolls :)

I'd rather take the extra $200 million a year from extracting every last dollar from news limited than getting off on puff pieces about my preferred sports Chair that came at the expense of getting a fair deal

Don't know about the league trolls :)
Yep, and selling out the foundations of the support by having a greater number of Thursday night games and doubling up on Friday night games.

Lol you're the most obvious troll around, can't believe you're still allowed on this site. Go back to league unlimited already.

This thread in particular seems to attract throwball trolls. A guy yesterday signed up to make one post about nrl tv ratings 😅. Unless it was you 2 eazy, a troll account to support your original troll account?
Whatever my friend your choice to deny reality. The numbers are in plain sight

"Just more Sydney biased crap really. I've gotta say, the media biased has skyrocketed even more lately. It use to be 70.30, now it's about 80.20 if we're lucky. Dunno why the Herald Sun even prints this garbage, the article has nothing to do with the afl."

The biggest issue that Melbourne/Victoria and the rest of Australia has is 100% of MSM esp the US owned Murdoch News Corp is based in Sydney and of course they will favour "the worlds greatest city" that they remind us regularly during their Sydney centric rants that also passes as so called reporting.

The problem that they have is that if not already Melbourne will soon be Australia's largest city again and that particular boast ( the nations biggest city) won't be able to be used by the Sydney media anymore and it will sting.

Finally some sanity :p

Exactly my experience having lived all over the u.s. Americans will fake an interest to be polite, but once you scratch under the surface a little, they really don't give a shit, they rule the world, why would they care about something that comes from a country that's irrelevant to them. Well from a country that's irrelevant by the way of northern England, which makes it even worse, they love mocking the British.

It's only Vlandy's arrogance that thinks they will care and thinks Russell Crowe is still a big deal over there and the Sydney media thinking they are important and hold some relevance on the world stage. They don't, especially when the product they are serving up is crap, just to go with it.

A funny story, I went for a bucks night with a u.s soldier as the groom and all his 10 to 15 army mates that got back from Iraq. Now in Australia it was big news about us fighting in Iraq, Howard prancing around with bush and Blair years earlier, of all the college educated soldiers that had spent years fighting in Iraq and were based all over, not one of them even knew Australia was involved in the war. The general public didn't know either, but I was shocked to learn actual American soldiers had no idea of Australian involvement. This was when the media back home were making out like Howard was in the war room with bush and Blair 😅.

Last edited:
This Weeks Attendances

#AFL Preseason
Blues/Dees 6,108 at Ikon Park
Giants/Suns 2,559 at Manuka Oval
Cats/Bombers 11,638 at GMBHA Stadium
Power/Dockers 4,539 at Alberton Oval
Hawks/Bulldogs 3,867 at UTAS Stadium

#ALM
Bulls/City 3,452 at Campbelltown
WUnited/Glory 3,016 at Mars Stadium
Jets/Mariners 7,117 at McDonald Jones
Wanderers/SFC 27,998 at Commbank Stadium (D/H)

#ALW
WUnited/CanUnited 574 at City Vista Rec. Reserve
Roar/City 2,158 at Perry Park
Wanderers/SFC 9,577 at Commbank Stadium (D/H)

#AusvUzb
#Matildas/Uzbekistan 54,120 at Marvel Stadium

#NBL Finals
Jackjumpers/Hawks 4,340 at MyState Bank Arena
Kings/Breakers 8,231 at Qudos Bank Arena

#SuperRugby #SuperRound2024
Waratahs/Crusaders 11,231 at Aami Park (D/H)
Pacifika/Drua at Aami Park

#WNBL Finals
Flyers/Boomers 890 at Melb. Sports Centres - P'ville
Fire/Lynx 2,341 at Townsville Ent. Centre
Boomers/Flyers 2,892 at Melb. Sports Centres - P'ville

Data: http://aleagues.com.au, http://nbl.com, http://wnbl.basketball, http://austadiums.com, Rugby News | Fixtures and Results | Tickets | RUGBY.com.au

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings and other Industry thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back