Play Nice 2024 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings and other Industry thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not quite right. He is from the big Islander community in Western Sydney (the basis of Panthers success) originally played League but got a Rugby scholarship to King’s school. He was playing juniors for the rabbits in League at the same time as Union in the GPS comp.
But still played Rugby for his entire teenage years until he got a league contract right?
If he was equally as good at football he would’ve missed out on about $2mil by the time he was able to sign a non restricted contract in the AFL.

Until recently league was prominent only in Auckland and particularly South Auckland; the rest was Union. Hard to know if League’s reported surge in the rest of NZ is real or more PVL boosting.

Well Christchurch is the second largest population centre in New Zealand after Auckland.

View attachment 2015237

View attachment 2015239
Oh okay, I had thought it was Wellington because the historical way they defined each city was changed in 2017 to remove the surrounding urban areas from Wellington. The article you linked contains the following passage:

Statistics New Zealand announced in 2017 that the Statistical Standard for Geographic Areas 2018 (SSGA18) would replace the New Zealand Standard Areas Classification 1992 (NZSAC92). The change impacted Wellington most, by splitting it into four urban areas, being the Wellington city and Lower Hutt city "major urban areas" and Porirua and Upper Hutt "large urban areas". As defined by SSGA18, Wellington approximately halved in size, and Lower Hutt entered the city rankings in sixth place between Tauranga and Dunedin.
But the functional urban area section of the article suggests that if the surrounding towns to Christchurch were included, it'd be bigger than an undivided Wellington. So I guess Christchurch is bigger, which I didn't know before.

I have a mate very deeply involved in the game in the Sth Island who assures me Christchurch will be where the team is based if there is one.
They'll play in (and be able to piggy back off) a brand spanking new state of the art stadium, which is a large part of why that's where the new that's where the new team is

45000 turned up to the Bulldogs vs Eels match at Accor Stadium for the NRL's King's Birthday match.
Who cares? Still only a bit over half full' I'm more interested the nearly 45,000 packed into the antiquated SCG for the Swans match.

The AFL had over 85,000 at two matches (173,569 total) the other codes esp V' Landys greatest game in the universe would give their right arms to get those sort of numbers to regular H&A matches!

When the NRL start get over 70,000 on a regular basis to H&A matches at Accor Stadium I might get a bit worried!

Who cares? Still only a bit over half full' I'm more interested the nearly 45,000 packed into the antiquated SCG for the Swans match.

The AFL had over 85,000 at two matches (173,569 total) the other codes esp V' Landys greatest game in the universe would give their right arms to get those sort of numbers to regular H&A matches!

When the NRL start get over 70,000 on a regular basis to H&A matches at Accor Stadium I might get a bit worried!

They'll get giddy about 90,000 or so turning up to the SOO at the MCG. However, 97,000 turned up to the Collingwood vs GWS prelim last year while about 35K turned up to the Panthers vs Storm prelim at Accor on the same night which is embarrassing for the self proclaimed greatest game of all.

They'll get giddy about 90,000 or so turning up to the SOO at the MCG. However, 97,000 turned up to the Collingwood vs GWS prelim last year while about 35K turned up to the Panthers vs Storm prelim at Accor on the same night which is embarrassing for the self proclaimed greatest game of all.
So true LOL!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Youve got a whole other thread for this. I suggest you go there.

I see the nRL have copied ANOTHER AFL innovation with their Beanies for Brain Cancer appeal don't they have any shame?

Their own marketing Dept should design their own promotions instead of lazily blatantly ripping off original AFL ideas?

In any case it will NEVER be as successful as the Big Freeze which has gone viral all around the nation this season esp with Coles and Bunnings selling them through their stores for free and with the Feds also stumping up stumping $2 million as well.
I heard on TV that the whole allocation of beanies set aside for this year was 450k x $25.00 were sold out and that adds another $11,250,000 to the total.

Last edited:
Beanies for brain cancer has been an annual event since 2014, when Newcastle player Mark Hughes was diagnosed with brain cancer.
You need to chill a bit

Beanies for brain cancer has been an annual event since 2014, when Newcastle player Mark Hughes was diagnosed with brain cancer.
You need to chill a bit

the NRL only got involved about 8 years ago.

"Where the game changed for us was when the NRL got involved eight years ago," Hughes told NRL.com.

"We had hosted beanie days in the background and the Knights had hosted a beanie day for us because we were local, but our big goal was to try and get in with the NRL and get some support there."

The initiative of purchasing the beanies at grounds and wearing them has received a groundswell of support from the rugby league community as the years have gone by.

Super Rugby semi-final in New Zealand re-scheduled to avoid clash with Warriors.
Maybe V’landys is right!

This was driven by Sky Sport to maximise their audience for both games. The NRL are naturally gaga about this. New Zealand Rugby would be wise to understand that the NRL doesn't want to coexist with rugby union, they want obliterate the 15 a side game in Australasia.

Commonwealth Government gives $15m to host the Soccer Women’s Asian Cup in 2026. The Matildas will undoubtedly draw huge crowds and television audiences, but am unsure whether this will lead to any lasting renewed interest in the domestic Aleagues.

The tournament – to be played in NSW, Queensland and Western Australia – has been predicted to inject $250m into local economies, attract 24,000 international visitors to Australia, create more than 1000 jobs and secure a global television audience of hundreds of millions.

over 25,000 recorded for last nights dolphins v storm match ...... suncorp has a capacity of 52000

if that stadium was just on half full last night ill subject myself to the horrors of a day listening to kylie minogue

over 25,000 recorded for last nights dolphins v storm match ...... suncorp has a capacity of 52000

if that stadium was just on half full last night ill subject myself to the horrors of a day listening to kylie minogue
Probably the same guy who counts the Giants crowds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings and other Industry thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back