Play Nice 2024 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings and other Industry thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah they always struggle particularly in these kind of scenarios where there is a smaller sydney team v a non Broncos non-NSW team (which is generally the Storm)

Suspect there will be a lot of people ending up with free tickets later in the week.

Outside of COVID years, I am not sure there has been a public sale of GF tickets this century

When the WA government did the deal with the AFL to get the 2021 GF at Optus, part of the deal was that there be about 15k tickets available to the public.

When they went onsale there were roughly 150,000 people in the queue. And each could buy up to 4 tickets.

Still a few thousand tickets available for the NRL GF this weekend. Discounting has begun so it will likely be pretty full.

Grand Final in city with population of 5 million. Will be packed come kick off.

I think its brilliant how the NRL give anyone (not just corporates and gold members) the opportunity to attend/experience the Grand Final.

And they put on at a time with the most possible amount of eyes can watch it.

... I think its brilliant how the NRL give anyone (not just corporates and gold members) the opportunity to attend/experience the Grand Final. ...
They have no choice - allowing just anybody to get a ticket is the only way they can get near to filling a 84,000 seat stadium.

Whereas with the AFL, they could fill the 100,000 capacity MCG several times over, such is the demand - it's a completely different situation.

I think its brilliant how the NRL give anyone (not just corporates and gold members) the opportunity to attend/experience the Grand Final.

Pretty easy to have an open ticket policy when you are not popular enough to actually fill the stadium at full prices.

How on earth could you ever implement such a policy in the AFL? Even if you removed every corporate ticket, MCC & AFL member there are grand final matchups whose combined memberships wouldn't even fit in a ground twice the size of the MCG, not to mention that there are huge numbers of neutrals who are also willing to attend.

Grand Final in city with population of 5 million. Will be packed come kick off.
And they put on at a time with the most possible amount of eyes can watch it.

It's great how one code's desperation is spun as one man's brilliance.
The NRL's final series with especially Cronulla's final was really "brilliant".

In fairness, I think everyone can accept that the NRL GF is less of an event because State of Origin exists, another event that sells over many times over when played in NSW and Qld.

Keep in mind that Geelong vs. Brisbane prelim - the second of eight potential finals in Melbourne, another big game etc, also didn't sell out. It's not the showpiece of our competition like the GF as well, but it's also our equal second biggest game of the year and an opportunity for event goers in Melbourne.

In fairness, I think everyone can accept that the NRL GF is less of an event because State of Origin exists, another event that sells over many times over when played in NSW and Qld.

Keep in mind that Geelong vs. Brisbane prelim - the second of eight potential finals in Melbourne, another big game etc, also didn't sell out. It's not the showpiece of our competition like the GF as well, but it's also our equal second biggest game of the year and an opportunity for event goers in Melbourne.

That's incorrect, state of origin in Sydney struggles to sell out too and they often give away thousands of tickets on the last day or two to achieve a full stadium.

Seriously what a joke. Their grand final has been on sale for at least a month I reckon and advertised on news.com.au with a big ad every day for that long as well. Since when do you have to strongly advertise your grand final for a month?

My mate up there bought tickets on Tuesday night and couldn't believe he could just go in, no competition to buy tickets and could get them in any category. This is the self proclaimed 'Australia's biggest sport' ladies and gentlemen, as Tony Cochrane calls them 'the great pretenders the NRL'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings and other Industry thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back