Opinion 2024 Player Reviews. Success, Pass or Fail?

Remove this Banner Ad

Progressive Aggresion

All Australian
Jan 30, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm not a fan of allocating scores out of 10 or grading an an A-E scale so I'm only ranking players by three categories. Success, Pass or Fail.

I'm doing it for every player that played at least 1 AFL game this year, although I will also allocate a N/A to any players who I feel like can't fairly be judged.

1. Connor Rozee - FAIL

I was almost tempted to say pass as he was was definitely derailed a bit by his injury from earlier in the year, but then you also have to consider that he was one of the main people at fault for electing to play through that said injury. I won't deny that in the first 5 rounds of the season he looked like one of the competitions best players, but his defensive efforts and ability to stick tackles got pretty quickly exposed in the games we struggled in. And although his gather round performance and a handful of others were certainly captain worthy, another poor finals campaign wraps up an overall underwhelming year compared to his back-to-back AA seasons.

2. Sam Powell-Pepper - N/A

Only played 3 games after serving a suspension and looked underdone, but without a proper chance to shine and an ACL injury mid-way through his third game it's too harsh to say anything of his tiny season. Missed having him in the forward line as opposed to some of our other small forward pedestrians so I am hoping that he can come back to a career best season next year.

3. Ryan Burton - FAIL

Played the first half of the year until getting dropped to the SANFL through injury and a complete lack of defensive chase. His disposal quality was also a notable downgrade this year and while he wasn't Pittard or Bonner tier levels of sh!t he was also clearly inferior to what Houston and Farrell were providing. He did ok when trying to cover for them during the finals but ultimately not enough to show that he's a premiership quality defender.

4. Todd Marshall - FAIL

Obviously all my best wishes go out to him for a healthy recovery from his recurring and potentially career ending concussions, but let's be honest. Even before he got injured in the late stages of the year, he was still underperforming. Down 15 goals from last year and an even further 24 goals from his career best 2022 season. Not only was he averaging less goals but he was also having less impact up the ground and not able to utilize his field kicking to any major affect. Extremely disappointing considering the 5 year extension he recently obtained.

5. Dan Houston - SUCCESS

I'm gonna miss this guys if he does infact decide to depart. One of the best quality kicks in the competition. And while his early season days weren't quite as reputable he was still one of our most consistent players and was a major part of the reason that we won 8 of our last 9 games in regulation. His suspension should've been 1-2 weeks shorter and may have costed us a grand final although I doubt even he could've done too much to turn the tide in those QF & PF losses. 2 top 10 picks for him should be the absolute minimum!

6. Kane Farrell - SUCCESS

Improved his defensive craft and started to stick more tackles. His left foot kick is one of the best in the whole team and he would've been the ideal Houston replacement if not for his injury on the eve of finals. Will become even more crucial to our backline if Houston leaves.

7. Jase Burgoyne - SUCCESS

I was not expecting this guy to improve so much in the span of just 1 year. While his disposal efficiency is still something to work on, his intensity and pressure was a massive lift in 2024 and was arguably the only reason we didn't go out in straight sets. Hoping he can also add some extra kilos in the off season to become even more dangerous defensively.

8. Josh Sinn - PASS

He was never dropped on bad form, and only missed games for injury related reasons, still progressing much slower than we'd all like but he has still shown good composure and run that definitely belong at AFL level. If he can overcome the injury setbacks he can become an easy mainstay for us.

9. Zak Butters - PASS

Is only a pass too harsh for another AA season? I think Butters showed glimpses of his best in some early games this year as well as his showdown medal performance, but that middle portion of the year where he got tagged certainly showed that he was down from the heights of his previous year. That's obviously still a high bar to clear, and while his finals campaign was poor you could ponder the excuse of his bruised ribs holding him back. He wasn't a complete downgrade but certainly isn't one of the top 10 players in the comp anymore, hoping he can get back there next year.

10. Travis Boak - PASS

Yes, I KNOW that his skills are still an issue to this day and his Prelim was god awful, but I still think Boak had a better season than his 2023 campaign when you consider he managed to pretty much lock down a full time spot on the wing instead of having to be made the sub all the time. Duursma's departure created a new opportunity for him and I reckon for the most part he handled it well, always trying but just... never clean enough. I'm still giving him a pass for making good use of his new role.

11. Jeremy Finlayson - FAIL

Wasn't a starter in the preseason teams which was already concerning, and came back in the first few rounds with absolutely god awful goal accuracy even by Port standards. He then played one of his best career games in gather round before getting suspended for using a homophobic slur, which alongside the problems with Kellie are obviously taking a mental toll on him. Didn't do much for the side after coming back from suspension but looked somewhat lively in the SANFL. Eventually obtained a spleen injury and wasn't seen again for the rest of the year. I think he has the potential for some excellent versatility but just needs to be more skillful and get his mind in the right place for 2025.

13. Ivan Soldo - PASS

People forget that he was one of the best hitouts to advantage in the first 5 rounds of the year and was way better than Lycett at pitching up forward. Then his injury history resurfaced after round 6 and only played one more game for the year after that. It's such a shame because I liked the look of him until injury also seemed to affect his SANFL form and supposedly spat the dummy after Sweet became the new starter. Not sure if he will still be here in 2025.

14. Miles Bergman - SUCCESS

He started the year playing the majority of time on a wing where his disposal efficiency and speed couldn't quite live up to what we'd hoped, but after our defensive cards shuffled and he was made the 3rd tall in the backline again, he showed some pretty awesome form that remined me a bit of peak Tom Jonas but with more reliable marking skills. I reckon that needs to become his full time role from now on.

15. Willie Rioli - SUCCESS

It really hurt us in the middle of the year when he had extensive injury/personal concerns and you could even argue it costed us the top spot. We looked lost without him and while he's still had some quiet games, ESPECIALLY at the MCG, you can't deny that he is our most important small forward right now and the only one with the consistent class to really charge us.

16. Ollie Wines - PASS

Spent more time on ball this year, crazy right!? Still not anywhere near his Brownlow season quality but did plenty of the important in and under work that we needed to compliment the better ball users around him. One of his top 5 seasons in the AFL but probably not top 3. Not sure how many good seasons he has left in him at this stage.

18. Jason Horne-Francis - SUCCESS

Kicked 27 goals for the year as a midfielder and still showed strong craft playing as a 3rd tall. Had some excellent games and was one of only a handful of players to average 20+ a goal in every game. If not for Chad Warner he definitely would've fit in to the AA team. Still needs to improve his defensive running but the same could be said about the club captain. Should win the B&F and also get promoted to the leadership group.

19. Mitch Georgiades - SUCCESS

Coming straight off of an ACL and yet still produces a career best year. If not for missing 6 games through injury and suspension, he would've had a 50+ goal season. Reminds me a lot of those Mihocek & Fritsch type players who can play a the number 1 forward without being super tall. Hopefully a full preseason can take him into Coleman medal calculations in 2025.

21. Allir Allir - PASS

Played his role, but I thought he improved more as the regular season went on. I think when we played 3 tall defenders at the start of the year we tried to get him to peel off his man too much so he could intercept. After Esava moved forward I think Allir played much better as the number 1 tall and is continuing to improve his 1v1 battles. Still not quite at the heights of his AA season though.

22. Charlie Dixon - FAIL

I'll be fair and say that Marshall & Finlayson both had disappointing seasons too so Charlie isn't completely alone, but my god his entire presence really breaks down our forward entries and his positioning is just awful. While he managed to have a couple of serviceable games throughout the year, he ultimately only kicked 1 extra goal in 5 extra games compared to 2023, and despite losing weight and resting for enough games to avoid injury, he still navigates the ground poorly and can't shake off his opponent. It's not a physicality issue, Charlie is just a dumb footballer. Should be well and truly finished by now.

23. Dylan Williams - FAIL

What TF happened? He was one of our most calm and composed defenders last year, and for whatever reason (I presume injury) he moved around this year with what felt like cement legs and couldn't replicate even a fraction of his success this year. Yet another out of form player that if fully fit could've really helped with our finals campaign.

24. Jordan Sweet - SUCCESS

When I first saw this guy I thought that he was just a more match fit version of Sam Hayes and wouldn't be featuring in our best teams, but after Soldo's injury and a couple of rough games early in the year, he really started to shine and has become a really great pickup for us. I'd like to see him do more marking across the ground, but a full season next year should see him recognized as a top 5 ruckmen in the competition. An improvement over Lycett in every way.

25. Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - SUCCESS

I know his prelim was sub-par, but considering the fact that McKenzie and Clurey are both spent, it's nice to have another key defender with good pace and intensity. Yet another former bomber who's now played in a winning final without them. My biggest critique of BZT though is his decision making. He can still be really hasty and panic at the worst moments with his ball use in a way that can be costly, but you can't deny that his 1v1 ability and intensity if definitely there for a strong key defender. Him and Sweet were both successful pickups in my opinion.

27. Esava Ratugolea - FAIL

Oh boy, I just knew that Geelong were trolling us by demanding a high price for him, and they knew about his faults and we were unfortunately dumb enough to fall into their trap. I will say this. He held Larkey goalless earlier in the year and I thought that he looked ok as a defender when you exclude his stupid goal line shenanigans and costly lateral kicks, but once Tyson Goldsack realized that a 2 tall defensive system was better anyway, he was moved forward purely to cover injuries to Marshall and Finlayson. He had ONE good game against Carlton as a forward and that was it. In fairness his positioning was better than Dixons and he wouldn't often concede intercept marks to his direct opponent, but that was also largely because he couldn't lead into his own space and 6 goalless weeks in a row just isn't good enough. Maybe if we dedicate a full preseason into his forward craft he might turn out ok for us, but his first year with Port has without a doubt been a massive flop.

28. Willem Drew - PASS

Was solid again this year and wasn't afraid to play a bit more on the outside to let Wines get more minutes in the center, but overall I can't really say he took any major steps forward towards having a breakout year, and while some of his tagging jobs were notable I feel like overall he struggled to negate his opponents as vividly as last year. Need him to go to the next level next year so our midfield mix doesn't stagnate.

30. Ollie Lord - FAIL

Had a significant leg injury on the eve of the season which obviously set him back a fair bit, but if you can't put your hand up to replace the walking corpse of Charlie Dixon then you're not having a good season. 6 goals from 6 games but most of them from frees and little contested marking or backup ruck ability. Couldn't find form in the SANFL either.

31. Francis Evans - FAIL

As plain and vanilla as they come, which isn't always a bad thing if you can be consistent with it, but really shouldn't be getting games for a side that wants to win a flag. He's ok at everything but isn't above average at anything. Superior only to one other player on our list...

33. Darcy Byrne-Jones - PASS

Stood up at times this year to get some good run in goals including a match winner, and had an even bigger responsibility with SPP out of the side, but I still feel as though his ground pressure will always be superior to his arial game, hence why he should never play in the defensive half ever again.

34. Lachie Jones - PASS

Started the year with a case of butter fingers and panic, but his defensive closing speed and pressure kept him in the team over players like Williams and it eventually paid off. If he can get his injury setbacks right in the off season he could become a top 5 player for us, but needs to find some skills to match his defensive ability, can still go missing in games where the defense is stretched thin, but had enough good performances this year to warrant a pass.

36. Will Lorenz - N/A

Barely played 40 minutes worth of AFL time this year and started as sub twice. Nothing much to go off of.

38. Dante Visentini - SUCCESS

Success for a player who only had 3 games for the whole year seems like a stretch, but in my opinion Dante is shaping up as a really good backup ruck option and it's hard to believe he almost ended Rhys Stanleys whole career earlier in the season. He's still too raw to take the full mantle but has demonstrated some really good run down pressure and chemistry with the other mids. I've got full faith in the path he is on.

41. Jed McEntee - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The worst player on our list right now and slowly creeping into the conversation with Nathan Lonie and Simon Phillips as one of the worst ever AFL listed Port players. Only 2 good things he did for the club this entire year was tag Tom Stewart for half a game and then also tackle Karl Amon to spill the ball out for a DBJ match winner. And while you could argue that Narkle and Evans aren't that much better, at least those players knew how to prove some sort of form in a struggling SANFL team. McEntee literally gets rewarded games for training sessions and nothing else. No speed, no skill, and the myth about his pressure is something you can get with almost any other player on the list. And the worst part is he's still on a contract and could even have a 50+ game career.

42. Quinton Narkle - FAIL

The thing is I actually liked the look of Narkle a lot from last year. In 2023 he kicked at least 1 goal in every game he played for us and while his SANFL form was never much to write about I thought his skills were clean enough to warrant games. Did ok as a sub in a couple of games this year, but his skills started to stagnate and get worse. And during the finals he started to get more game time up the ground and I think that exposed his loopy kicking style and poor navigation a little bit. I don't think he gets many if any games next year.

43. Logan Evans - SUCCESS

Just awesome to see how quickly he could slot right in to AFL level football and continue to play well during our streak of momentum towards the end of the year. He still has plenty of ways to go with sustaining pressure at the elite level but still looks insanely promising for someone who was completely missed in the draft. Let's hope that unlike Williams he builds upon this year and can become a 200+ game player.

44. Jackson Mead - PASS

Improved off of last year by spending more time in the midfield where he looked a natural at times, but certainly struggled under additional pressure and is ultimately still a bottom 5 player in the main lineup. I'd like to see him add some kilos too, but it's really just a matter of whether or not his disposal can hold up in games against the top sides, as a few games this year showed that it's still a weakness for him.

Thanks for all the time & effort you’ve put into this review mate, really well done.

My immediate thoughts, Jason Cripps has made some excellent list calls & some absolute howlers. How all of McEntee, Frankie Evans & Narkle ended up with contracts is beyond belief. They are nowhere near the level required to perform at the elite level.

Rat has definitely been underwhelming, but I don’t want to completely write him off until we have a proper forward functioning system in place.

I disagree with several calls here.

Boak a pass? dude was downright bad. only got games based on who he was, we constantly overlooked younger developing options who could be getting games to develop such as sinn and Lorenz.

Marshall a fail under the reasons you've given? he kicked less goals cause we deployed him up the ground. He was very impactful in that role, we learnt just how impactful when he went out and barring a wild Sydney game where our mids went crazy our forward line has looked all time bad, which is saying something.

sure, fail him because concussions meant he wasn't on the field, but you've given other players NA because of injury.

you've given soldo a pass for 10mins of good football and then not being able to break back into a side that fielded the corpse of Dixon.

mead a pass? was given all year to prove he belongs and instead hes proven that hes not a first 22 calibre player if were serious. hes gone backwards if anything.

jones a pass is also a touch generous. all hes done this year is cement himself as a fringe player who was overrated pre-draft. still all the same question marks.

im not saying I disagree with the rozee call, but if rozee is a fail there's no way you can have mead and jones as pass marks lol. they haven't delivered on 1/ 1 millionth of what he has, despite both being early draft picks.

Thanks for all the time & effort you’ve put into this review mate, really well done.

My immediate thoughts, Jason Cripps has made some excellent list calls & some absolute howlers. How all of McEntee, Frankie Evans & Narkle ended up with contracts is beyond belief. They are nowhere near the level required to perform at the elite level.

Rat has definitely been underwhelming, but I don’t want to completely write him off until we have a proper forward functioning system in place.
My thoughts exactly. He had to train this preseason as a defender, but if we can give him a full preseason as a forward instead he can continue to develop the craft. DBJ had a similar think where he got swapped up forward mid season last year and only kicked 18 goals, but this year made it to 28 after having a full preseason to train in that position.

It's also funny how out of the 4 recruits from the trade period that the cheaper ones in BZT and Sweet turned out to be superior than the far more expensive Soldo and Esava Rat.

I disagree with several calls here.

Boak a pass? dude was downright bad. only got games based on who he was, we constantly overlooked younger developing options who could be getting games to develop such as sinn and Lorenz.

Marshall a fail under the reasons you've given? he kicked less goals cause we deployed him up the ground. He was very impactful in that role, we learnt just how impactful when he went out and barring a wild Sydney game where our mids went crazy our forward line has looked all time bad, which is saying something.

sure, fail him because concussions meant he wasn't on the field, but you've given other players NA because of injury.

you've given soldo a pass for 10mins of good football and then not being able to break back into a side that fielded the corpse of Dixon.

mead a pass? was given all year to prove he belongs and instead hes proven that hes not a first 22 calibre player if were serious. hes gone backwards if anything.

jones a pass is also a touch generous. all hes done this year is cement himself as a fringe player who was overrated pre-draft. still all the same question marks.

im not saying I disagree with the rozee call, but if rozee is a fail there's no way you can have mead and jones as pass marks lol. they haven't delivered on 1/ 1 millionth of what he has, despite both being early draft picks.

Boak had some solid games this year. Wasn't long ago that he was one of our best on field in the Melbourne game at the MCG, and I actually think his F50 delivery is a lot cleaner than people give credit for, but as shown last night his field kicking in the defensive half is a completely different story.

Marshall still managed to play his first 15 games without injury concern and even before injury his form wasn't up to standard in my eyes. Kicked bags of 4 and 5 goals against the bottom 2 teams and was frequently quiet against the rest. I value his best form way more than Dixons but he didn't show that enough this year against the good teams and Georgiades has now surpassed him for lead up ability.
Obviously want nothing but the best for him but it's no out of pocket to say that he was still having a failed year before injury struck.

All of Soldo's first 5 games were strong so way more than just 10 minutes of good football. I can't call him a failure if injuries were the primary reason that kept him out of the side in the 2nd half of the year. And he's not a full time forward so he wouldn't be a replacement for Dixons corpse anyway. We all know how 2 co-rucks has worked for us in the past.

Mead still improved in my eyes. In the last 2 seasons we basically only played him as a forward utility and nothing else, whereas this year I think spending much more time playing as an outside midfielder really helped him to get going, although I wouldn't call him a success because as I mentioned his ball use really fell apart against the good teams.

You're actually just completely wrong about Jones and what you've said leaves me to believe that you didn't even watch his semi final. Yes he dropped a lot of marks early in the year but his best is more than good enough. Just needs some consistency.

I hold Rozee to a slightly higher standard because he's the club captain, and ultimately he still put his hand up to play through injury which costed the team and his finals campaign was only marginally better than last year. Good club captains need consistency and shouldn't just be front runners. I can excuse that with younger players like Mead and to a lesser extent JHF because they're not the captain and don't have as much experience, but Rozee seriously needs to find a defensive dimension in this off-season.

We should also start a thread for the coaches:

2024 Coach Reviews. Fail.
Just for the fun of it, I'll give you one for the assistants:

Tyson Goldsack - SUCCESS

I didn't rate him much as a player despite winning a premiership and I especially didn't rate him much as our SANFL coach, but you know what? I actually give him a lot of credit for finishing the season as a top 3 defense because he was willing to give Esava the flick and play a 2 tall defensive system instead which worked much better. Helped BZT to a good season and put Bergman back down as the 3rd tall which helped him retrieve his best form. He also made the best of a bad situation in the finals without Houston and Farrell. Gave Logan Evans the confidence to hit the floor running at AFL level and still managed to defend well in the semi final. Not actually bad at all for his first year as a senior assistant coach. And WAY better than Nathan Bassett.

Josh Carr - PASS

The new look midfield he gave us last year seemed to be exposed more this season. As evidenced by Rozee and Butters dropping back a bit. That being said he made the right move putting Wines back on the ball and helping JHF to achieve a much improved season. I still think we lack defensive chase and discipline at times but much of our best performances this year all came down to the midfield brigade collectively showing that they can still be the best in the league. It's not a brand new toy for us anymore but it's still a better class of onballers than what we had when Michael Voss was torturing our midfield mix. Similar to the Schofield midfield however it has a high ceiling and a low floor.

Chad Cornes - FAIL

In terms on our forward structure I actually thought that Chadbro did a decent job at helping our players to make more running leads and rely less on long bombing. And even then we still bomb it long too often. But the real reason why I give him a fail is because of his influence on selection. Chadbro has always stuck up for Dixon and McEntee despite both of them having dreadful years, and hence why both of those players get a ridiculous amount of persistence. To add salt to the wound I think his stupid school for set shots was a complete failure and continues to plague this club. Whereas the other assistants have a least shown the willingness to mix things up, Chad tends to stick with his favorites.

Hamish Hartlett - FAT FAIL

I liked this guy as a player but he always had a mongrel personality which just doesn't suit to coaching or leading at all. And winning our first SANFL since 125 years ago will forever be on his resume. Him and Sutcliffe are barely amateur league coaching material.

Boak had some solid games this year. Wasn't long ago that he was one of our best on field in the Melbourne game at the MCG, and I actually think his F50 delivery is a lot cleaner than people give credit for, but as shown last night his field kicking in the defensive half is a completely different story.

Marshall still managed to play his first 15 games without injury concern and even before injury his form wasn't up to standard in my eyes. Kicked bags of 4 and 5 goals against the bottom 2 teams and was frequently quiet against the rest. I value his best form way more than Dixons but he didn't show that enough this year against the good teams and Georgiades has now surpassed him for lead up ability.
Obviously want nothing but the best for him but it's no out of pocket to say that he was still having a failed year before injury struck.

All of Soldo's first 5 games were strong so way more than just 10 minutes of good football. I can't call him a failure if injuries were the primary reason that kept him out of the side in the 2nd half of the year. And he's not a full time forward so he wouldn't be a replacement for Dixons corpse anyway. We all know how 2 co-rucks has worked for us in the past.

Mead still improved in my eyes. In the last 2 seasons we basically only played him as a forward utility and nothing else, whereas this year I think spending much more time playing as an outside midfielder really helped him to get going, although I wouldn't call him a success because as I mentioned his ball use really fell apart against the good teams.

You're actually just completely wrong about Jones and what you've said leaves me to believe that you didn't even watch his semi final. Yes he dropped a lot of marks early in the year but his best is more than good enough. Just needs some consistency.

I hold Rozee to a slightly higher standard because he's the club captain, and ultimately he still put his hand up to play through injury which costed the team and his finals campaign was only marginally better than last year. Good club captains need consistency and shouldn't just be front runners. I can excuse that with younger players like Mead and to a lesser extent JHF because they're not the captain and don't have as much experience, but Rozee seriously needs to find a defensive dimension in this off-season.

Todd was playing a leading up the ground chf role, and the fact that when he wasn’t there we struggled to move the ball shows the impact he was having. Wasn’t the best year but even then it shows how underrated he was to our performance this year.

I don’t see how you can give boak mead and jones a pass but fail todd.

Also, all I said was you were a touch generous with jones. Hes still a fringe player who got games cause burton went to crap and averages 10d a game 4 years into his career coming into the league as a ready made 1st round pick. Ask anyone if they would pay pick 16 for him now. He’s still a disappointment on what we expected , all he did this year is cement himself as a 18th -28th list type.

If we bring in perryman and cumming jones probably plays sanfl all year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Todd was playing a leading up the ground chf role, and the fact that when he wasn’t there we struggled to move the ball shows the impact he was having. Wasn’t the best year but even then it shows how underrated he was to our performance this year.

I don’t see how you can give boak mead and jones a pass but fail todd.

Also, all I said was you were a touch generous with jones. Hes still a fringe player who got games cause burton went to crap and averages 10d a game 4 years into his career coming into the league as a ready made 1st round pick. Ask anyone if they would pay pick 16 for him now. He’s still a disappointment on what we expected , all he did this year is cement himself as a 18th -28th list type.

If we bring in perryman and cumming jones probably plays sanfl all year.
I also just think that Marshall's incredible field kicking from previous years was almost completely absent this year and he'd often have a return of single digit disposals while only averaging 1 goal per game or less against he tougher teams. His set shot was better than most others in the team but still a notable downgrade from his super accurate 2022 season. I can understand him kicking less goals if he sets up more shots and does more direct assists, but he couldn't manage that either and once again this was all before injury struck.

To put it as simply as I can. Todd Marshall went backwards and regressed, while Boak, Mead & Jones all statistically improved upon 2023 and in the case of Mead and Jones had career best seasons.

And Jones isn't going to be the 25+ disposal running half back type. He plays with defensive closing speed and tackling that doesn't require him to get as many possessions. Perryman and Cumming would make life harder for Burton and Sinn but not Jones.

I also just think that Marshall's incredible field kicking from previous years was almost completely absent this year and he'd often have a return of single digit disposals while only averaging 1 goal per game or less against he tougher teams. His set shot was better than most others in the team but still a notable downgrade from his super accurate 2022 season. I can understand him kicking less goals if he sets up more shots and does more direct assists, but he couldn't manage that either and once again this was all before injury struck.

To put it as simply as I can. Todd Marshall went backwards and regressed, while Boak, Mead & Jones all statistically improved upon 2023 and in the case of Mead and Jones had career best seasons.

And Jones isn't going to be the 25+ disposal running half back type. He plays with defensive closing speed and tackling that doesn't require him to get as many possessions. Perryman and Cumming would make life harder for Burton and Sinn but not Jones.

Todd’s regression (on the back of a preseason injury and concussions, stuff that you’ve used to explain away spp and soldo as N/A or a pass) and was still infinitely more influential than all the following players you’ve combined.

Just pointing out the inconsistency.

Also, mead boak and jones “improving statistically” is

1. An incredibly low bar
2. Factually incorrect in some cases

Jones went from 10.7d to… 10.7d. Any other increase anywhere is miniscule. Mead would had to have improved his stats , previous year he was sub or subbed every game. Saying boak had a slight uptick after his worst ever season is like saying losing your house in a fire is ok cause your letterbox is still standing.

Boak is purely living off the good will of our supporters these days. He hasn’t been up to it since he came second in the Brownlow and the season after was a MASSIVE drop off. Anyone who says he should still be here next year/ is a starting 22 player has rose coloured glasses on. I loved the guy for so long but he is so unbelievably bad now. Only gets touches because he’s been put on a wing where he gets touches. Regularly burns it and is just slow these days. Thanks for your service mate but time to respect yourself and retire and go play in Torquay like you always wanted post afl career.

TOP 5 GOOD PORT ADELAIDE POWER STORIES 2024

MITCH GEORGIADES

Early last year Mitch was dropped based on form and didn't look to have the footballing IQ and decision making to play up the ground in any capacity. He went back to the SANFL and then compounded his poor year by injuring his ACL.

Coming back this year from injury, Mitch played well enough but in the middle of the year was promoted to playing the first banana in the forward line and began to dominate averaging around 3 goals a game and was one of the major reasons for our late run of wins.

His improvement was more based on smart leading, forward craft and excellent hands than Mark of the Year bravado. With this, Mitch's kicking boot found a welcome return and he once again became a good set shot for goal. The turnaround has been remarkable from out of the side to the sharpest of spearheads.

There will some pressure for Mitch to perform for 2025 but hopefully the forward line is his to dominate for years to come.

JORDON SWEET

Jordon Sweet, along with Ivan Soldo were traded in the off season to bolster a pedestrian to poor ruck crew. While Soldo got first crack at ruck and played well, he succumbed to injury and a bit of a form slump during the year and the patient Sweet came into the team.

A Port lad who had spent years behind the Bulldogs AA ruckman, Tim English, he slowly worked his way into good form, connecting with the young midfield but also providing a bit of unsociability that we've missed in the centre square.

Towards the end of the year, Sweet had unequivocally become the number one ruck and I appreciate that he had to earn his spot and I thought played well in finals too.

It would be nice for him to do a bit more around the ground but I am looking forward to Sweet starting in the ruck for 2025.

LOGAN EVANS

"Plucked" from the smoke and mirrors change rooms of Alberton in the mid-season draft, Logan Evans debuted soon after and with much trepidation from the fan base given our selections of MSD's picks of the past.

Hinkley was impressed with his hard work ethic and overall footballing talent and in the biggest surprise of the Port Adelaide season, he dropped seamlessly into the backline and looked like a 100 game veteran doing everything well albeit with spaghetti arms.

Supposedly learning from fellow versatile back, Miles Bergman, the young backline looks bright with Lachie Jones and Josh Sinn also starting to show improvements.

With a good preseason under the belt, the only way is up for Logan.

JASE BURGOYNE

This year the laconic Jase Burgoyne was moved to the wing and played well during the year and improved his form overall. Clocking up big numbers with ground covered, Jase began to impact multiple contests and with the natural Burgoyne footballing ability, impressed towards the end of the year.

In the finals, he looked great in the backline and had a BOG performance in our win against the Hawks. With a bit more muscle and another preseason under his belt, Jase is set to have a great 2025 and who knows where he plays.

MILES BERGMAN

Starting the year on the wing like Jase, Bergman played well enough but it was his shift back to third tall that allowed Miles to once again showcase his dominant aerial skills, fast pace, athleticism and defensive nous.

In this span, it could be argued that Miles became our 5th best player and is versatile enough to be put on any forward.

Although he has found his position down back, such was the quality of his year, that the coaching staff should be eyeing off Bergman for some midfield minutes in 2025.

Last edited:
Thought some of the lower key successes were Lorenz, Xavier Walsh and Sinn who all showed to varying levels they can play AFL football.

Marshall was a fail. Not entirely based on his performance, but he was a fail.

The entire 2022 draft class was an enormous fail.

Todd’s regression (on the back of a preseason injury and concussions, stuff that you’ve used to explain away spp and soldo as N/A or a pass) and was still infinitely more influential than all the following players you’ve combined.

Just pointing out the inconsistency.

Also, mead boak and jones “improving statistically” is

1. An incredibly low bar
2. Factually incorrect in some cases

Jones went from 10.7d to… 10.7d. Any other increase anywhere is miniscule. Mead would had to have improved his stats , previous year he was sub or subbed every game. Saying boak had a slight uptick after his worst ever season is like saying losing your house in a fire is ok cause your letterbox is still standing.
SPP Played not even 3 games so that why he's N/A
Same with Lorenz because he didn't even play an hour worth of gametime.
Marshall had 19 games for the year, that's enough for me to go off of. I'm not even a Marshall hater btw, but its not unrealistic to expect more from him in those first 15 games.

SPP Played not even 3 games so that why he's N/A
Same with Lorenz because he didn't even play an hour worth of gametime.
Marshall had 19 games for the year, that's enough for me to go off of. I'm not even a Marshall hater btw, but its not unrealistic to expect more from him in those first 15 games.

You’ve missed so many points I made.

You’ve missed so many points I made.
As you have missed so many of mine all the same.

We can argue forever about who failed us this year and who was successful, but i already said that out of the 32 players that featured at AFL level this year, only 11 were notably successful and 21 were either passable or better... That's not even a full team of 23 players that are minimum passable, which even going off of your preferences for successful and failed players, would pretty much get us to the same quantity.

I don’t know how to judge Lord or soldo because they didn’t play in the firsts for second half of the season. I don’t care about their sanfl form that means nothing. If they’re fit they should have been picked instead of Dixon. Then we could see how there going. My guess the would have been much better than Dixon and probably better than rat. So it was dumb selection

Boak is purely living off the good will of our supporters these days. He hasn’t been up to it since he came second in the Brownlow and the season after was a MASSIVE drop off. Anyone who says he should still be here next year/ is a starting 22 player has rose coloured glasses on. I loved the guy for so long but he is so unbelievably bad now. Only gets touches because he’s been put on a wing where he gets touches. Regularly burns it and is just slow these days. Thanks for your service mate but time to respect yourself and retire and go play in Torquay like you always wanted post afl career.
Torquay don't need him. Just won back to back Bellarine League flags and Dom Gleeson has signed on to coach again.

I'm convinced that Sinn's praises are inflated by overrated eager hope in BF threads. Last night's game is the most involved he's been in any of his AFL appearances. Last night was the first time he played like he had an afl future, which I think he will, but he's neither a failure nor a pass this season. In fact the past couple of seasons the club has failed him with their yoyo emergency in and out selection missing games until he cops an injury and misses more games.

Xavier Walsh has yet to feature and played three half decent games in a bottom sanfl team. Neither a failure nor a pass but still an unknown quantity on whether this rookie will have an afl future.

Lorenz's performances have been ok in a bottom sanfl club but out of his depth in the afl. Brought in before he's ready because of numbers and lack of depth. Looks likely to have an afl career though. Neither a failure nor a pass.

Anyway, didn't Hinkley say we fail as a collective? So, they all failed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2024 Player Reviews. Success, Pass or Fail?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back