Preview 2024 Preseason: Hawks v Dogs in Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

Chol had some great moments that nobody appears to want to mention.

The kick inside to MacDonald to set up a goal was first class.
Turned a few Dogs players inside out at one point.
Competed well in the ruck for a period of time and earnt a free for a holding the ball after a second effort.

Competed well in the ruck for a period of time and earnt a free for a holding the ball after a second effort.
Chol was fine. He’ll be better for the run. He’s still getting the hang of our game plan and running patterns. There’s enough there to work with for now.

That's been Chol so far in his career.
Brilliant one minute, woeful the next.
His second quarter was fantastic.

My observations:
  • Guinnivan has class and works bloody hard. Ditto McDonald
  • Chol is not the answer. Does dome nice things but effort dropped off
  • Ramsden will take Chol’s spot within 18 months.
  • Watson will need some time
  • McKenzie is nearly there
  • Sicily doesn’t care about practice matches
  • Our backline needs Hardwick more than out forward line does
  • We have the worst KPDs in the AFL
  • Ward needs to be more attacking. Taps it out when he could keep it in. Punches when he can mark. Plays without confidence
  • Newk will be a Hawthorn champion
  • Frost is an idiot
  • Impey was good
  • Finn doesn’t have a role unless we are running a hard tag
  • Lewis needs to get more involved
  • We won’t be making the 8 until we add another decent key forward and another key back.

Appreciate you and Doggstats coming with peace offerings on behalf of the other nimrod.

He's out of commission for a while
Gives him something to brag about to his mates at playtime on Monday.

I liked Mackenzie’s game, obviously started really well then faded in the second half but showing good signs that he is progressing and developing as we would hope he is.

When you see someone like Sanders with great run, pace & agility going at pick 7, I feel we missed the mark going for two similar players in Ward & McKenzie with similar picks. Besides KPP players, the only thing we lack is run through the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chol was fine. He’ll be better for the run. He’s still getting the hang of our game plan and running patterns. There’s enough there to work with for now.

He and Lewis need to spend a lot more time getting into better positions. So many times the Dogs defenders were in the perfect spot and they were nowhere near it.

Mids need to spend a lot more time lowering their eyes and not bombing it. And reading the taps better. Our strength used to be getting the ball first.

When you see someone like Sanders with great run, pace & agility going at pick 7, I feel we missed the mark going for two similar players in Ward & McKenzie with similar picks. Besides KPP players, the only thing we lack is run through the midfield.
Can we not do this after a practice match. FMD.

Forward line: Have to be patient with them. They'll click, I just hope it's at the start of the year rather than the end. I know they kicked a few goals but the tall forwards looked bleak. Both seemed to play with very little intensity today - Jones and Kamis easily beat their opponents. Cmac has got it, he'll be a star, we need to find a way to get him involved more. If Ginni plays like that the rest of the season...I'll be very happy. Watson improving even on his game from last week, the goals will come soon. Breust and Gunston will be important role players. Moore will give them a boost. Although, need to see more pressure from the small forwards that will last throughout the whole game.

Midfield: Similar to last year, when they're on, we look amazing. And when they're off, the opposition piles 6 goals on in a row. Need to see an improvement in their consistency this year, and that starts with improving their defensive game. Might be a long first month without Day. Hus and Mackenzie will be very good, just need to build up their fitness to run out games. Newcombe is our saviour. Worpel is up and down. Nash hasn't really looked amazing this entire preseason, hope we don't see him taking a step back. What the hell was Ward's game, he barely got time on ball and seemed to spend a lot of time in the defensive 50 - which is not his game. Rather see Harry on a wing, instead of Ward at the moment.

Rucks: Hadn't had to be too worried about this area for a while, so today was a rude awakening. Reeves is currently nothing but a tap ruckman. We're one player down when the ball hits the deck. It's been a few seasons now and minimal improvement in those other areas. Just can't comprehend how a man of his size can't grab a few contested marks per game. Seems like Meek isn't the answer either, has the same problem of looking intimidating but not knowing how to use his body. Thankfully Ramsden looks promising, with his trajectory he'll probably be our number 1 ruckman sooner than a lot of people would have thought.

Backline: Unwatchable for the majority of the game. We need answers fast. It wouldn't have been hugely better if Blanck played either. Kade Simpson has a long year ahead of him. Amon fits nicely down there. Scrimshaw had a very off game. Sicily looked like he'd given up by 3/4 time. Hardwick must go back. Having Maginness play as a backman is just asking for trouble, he's got a unique aspect to his game, we should use it. Phillips went ok, can see him improving quickly - should play rd 1, in my opinion. Might have to rest Will Day down there, when he's not in the midfield. It has been our weak spot for many many years, and yet the same mistakes are still made week in, week out. Any chance we could not have five blokes flying for the intercept and leave one on the ground instead....Also doesn't help that we have a midfield that is lacklustre, defensively, even on their best days.

Overall a messy game, with some highlights being completely overshadowed by huge glaring issues. I think the first part of the year will be tough, but hopefully it'll click after 10 or so rounds.

Should be having a similar impact that Miers does for you guys ATM. Same role. Only difference is Miers has played in consistent sides week to week since he started. McDonald has a higher ceiling no offence so we will wait and see what comes of that.
I agree with that, I see him as a potential Hird type that’s a huge prediction just that type of player not saying he will be that good.

Reeves is currently nothing but a tap ruckman. We're one player down when the ball hits the deck.
And a very bloody good one.

31 hitouts from 58% today against one of the premier rucks in the comp.

When Day, Newk, Nash and Worpel take advantage of that we’ll be hard to beat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back