Autopsy 2024 Rd 16 Blues tame the Tigers easily

Who played well for the Blues in Round 16 vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Richmond deserve a little credit, they turned up with their season well and truly dusted and they came to play. Their pressure and tackline was good. Their efforts to push back hard to defend was really good and when they rebounded they looked quicker than us, they moved the ball well, ran in chains and looked to have us beaten on the outside at times.

Then their depth was tested about half way through. While their top end is quite good their bottom end is not and they ran out of gas.

Our class kept us rolling the whole game and our depth saw us steam roll over them in the second half.

Midfield rotations for us are the key. We bat really deep so we can keep our midfield fresh.

Thought we were losing in a few crucial areas in the first half. They outran us on the outside a big, they intercepted in defence. Cincotta had his colours lowered in the first quarter as did Pittonet, McKay and many of our forwards. But they were all able to turn it around.

Cripps - He's in career best form. Has to be in the Brownlow conversation. Massive numbers.

Acres - Acres was one of the few players who was good consistently for 4 quarters. I felt many of our guys had amazing bursts but also had quiet spells. When we were being challenged early he was all over this game. When we were killing it he was all over this game. He was awesome.

Newman - He was once again super prolific in defence. Talk of him being AA is definitely justified. Gets a heap of it, defends well one on one and he uses it so well.

Walsh - My biggest criticism of him is that he is an accumulator who doesn't have much impact. Gets a lot of ball at the back of the stoppages and back end of the field. Not recently. He's running through the contest, doing a heap of grunt work in there, his pressure was excellent, he got the ball in his hand a lot forward of the stoppage and gave us some real forward run. Rather see him have 25 possession games and heavily influence than 40 nothing possessions. He was outstanding.

Saad - Was again awesome for us. Such an important player. One of the few we have with genuine pace and uses it to hurt the opposition. His runs and accurate kicking is just great.

Cerra - A quiet return for Cerra as expected knowing his history of coming back slow after time off. Minutes manages. His game was solid. We know he will build on it.

Kennedy - His game was up and down. He's in good form. It's a shame he got injured, hopefully all is good on this account. He's really played his role well lately.

E Hollands - He's an out and out gun. We waited a bit to inject him into the middle of the ground and when we did it helped turn things. He doesn't need a lot to help turn a game. He gets it in dangerous positions. He uses it really well.

McGovern - Had a lot of the ball but he had a dirty day. Fumbles and a few contested ball losses. Looked like someone who had been given a week off training.

Pittonet - He probably lost the ruck contest and started slowly but he came good as the game went on. He's not at the level of TDK but if your second ruck can come in and do that well then we have to be happy.

Cowan - Nearly consider this a breakout game. Just kept getting it and putting his body on the line. His frame is still pretty light but he is having a crack. I trust him with ball in hand. He's going to become a really good player for us.

McKay - Started poorly but it's almost like giving him a run in the ruck switches him on. Goes in there, has an immediate impact then takes it forward to mark and kick goals. Finished the game strongly.

Boyd - Not involved much early but it was a strong start and a great game. His ball handling impressed me and of course his kicking and defending did as well.

Weitering - Took some really good intercepts and again was solid. It's been a really slow start to the season for him and he's come good late. Looks strong and confident.

Fantasia - Only a matter of time before he really hit the scoreboard. He's been doing things right and his work rate has been good without scoring goals. This was his day.

Fogarty - Another who rarely hits the scoreboard had a day out. All snaps probably helps, he's not the best kick but it's nice to see another who works hard get some reward.

Kemp - Had some good moments, was fairly solid. I don't think he did enough to make the Marchbank or Kemp argument go away. But we can rely on him pretty well and that's fine with me.

Williams - He was solid. Another quiet game but he is another who doesn't need much of it. His ball use is really good and he's another strong body at ground level up forward.

Owies - Had a dirty day skillswise, dropped a couple of sitters. Not clean today.

Cincotta - Was given a bath early and it was looking like the experiment was about to have it's first failure. He ended up finishing pretty well. He kicked a couple, he kicks well to the forwards, he's strong at ground level.

Hollands - Didn't get much of it but gets to all the right places, halves his contests and helped the defence well. I'd say he's doing the minimum and basics well but he's probably not exempt from competing players. However we don't really have any wingers bashing the door down. With no injuries it would be Docherty but he is out.

Curnow - Probably a day off for him, he was poor. Lost a lot of one on ones, we went too him and the ball came back the other way a bit much, He's probably playing sore.

Hewett - Came on late. He's not a tactical sub, he's an injury sub. Didn't get the opportunity to do much.

I'm somewhat of an armchair arm-wrestling expert.

Our gameplan is akin to what one might call a professional arm-wrestling strategy.

1. Absorb the opponent's pressure at the beginning. This is when they have the most energy/effort.
2. Hold, hold, hold until you feel them weakening.
3. Put your foot down on the gas, the opponent is out of tickets.
4. Kick 5 goals in quick succession.
5. ???
6. Profit.

Weitering had 6 contested one on one battles against Richmond and won all 6.

I’ll take “awful” Weits any day
I thought he was awesome. Aside from the fumbly moment on the boundary his touch, composure, disposal and defensive acts were all sublime. AND he started well. Unlike everyone else except Cripps.

As Fev always used to say, if Hoops was kicking the ball into 50, it would be right where he wanted it.

Elijah gives me the same vibes. Exquisite user of the ball. I think he needs to get the chainsaw out of storage for a goal celebration.
Funny you say that. I had the thought yesterday that Hoops was the closest Carlton player I could compare him too. Very natural footballer, very classy.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wondering if Cripps is carltons GOAT?

Such as dedicated, selfless champian of the game. And looks like a great bloke, family man.

Considering he battled through our darkest years, would have been easy for him to go back home to WA.
Another Brownlow this season will put him in the box seat. A couple of Premierships will make it official.

he seemed to spend a lot of time deep in defence - looking at the heatmap it was 63% with 3 possesions in the defensive goal square.

Can only assume that was a job given to him, to be the defensive slider when one of newman or saad went forward.

Ollie does appear to be playing more footy in the defensive half. Acres the same, even moreso, often the last line of defence. Clearly a conscious effort for the wings to flood back, help the defence, and then rebound.

I still think we still look a bit easy to score against. Yet to keep anyone to a really low score except the Freo game which was a slog for both sides. Conceding 70+ every week.

But maybe we are happy with a shootout given our weapons up forward. Averaging 118ppg in the last month. Doubt anyone can keep up with us in a free-flowing game.

Feels a bit like the Ratten era but with way more weapons. Exciting to watch us kick 130+ two weeks in a row.

I reckon Richmond deserve a little credit, they turned up with their season well and truly dusted and they came to play. Their pressure and tackline was good. Their efforts to push back hard to defend was really good and when they rebounded they looked quicker than us, they moved the ball well, ran in chains and looked to have us beaten on the outside at times.

Then their depth was tested about half way through. While their top end is quite good their bottom end is not and they ran out of gas.

Our class kept us rolling the whole game and our depth saw us steam roll over them in the second half.

Midfield rotations for us are the key. We bat really deep so we can keep our midfield fresh.

Thought we were losing in a few crucial areas in the first half. They outran us on the outside a big, they intercepted in defence. Cincotta had his colours lowered in the first quarter as did Pittonet, McKay and many of our forwards. But they were all able to turn it around.

Cripps - He's in career best form. Has to be in the Brownlow conversation. Massive numbers.

Acres - Acres was one of the few players who was good consistently for 4 quarters. I felt many of our guys had amazing bursts but also had quiet spells. When we were being challenged early he was all over this game. When we were killing it he was all over this game. He was awesome.

Newman - He was once again super prolific in defence. Talk of him being AA is definitely justified. Gets a heap of it, defends well one on one and he uses it so well.

Walsh - My biggest criticism of him is that he is an accumulator who doesn't have much impact. Gets a lot of ball at the back of the stoppages and back end of the field. Not recently. He's running through the contest, doing a heap of grunt work in there, his pressure was excellent, he got the ball in his hand a lot forward of the stoppage and gave us some real forward run. Rather see him have 25 possession games and heavily influence than 40 nothing possessions. He was outstanding.

Saad - Was again awesome for us. Such an important player. One of the few we have with genuine pace and uses it to hurt the opposition. His runs and accurate kicking is just great.

Cerra - A quiet return for Cerra as expected knowing his history of coming back slow after time off. Minutes manages. His game was solid. We know he will build on it.

Kennedy - His game was up and down. He's in good form. It's a shame he got injured, hopefully all is good on this account. He's really played his role well lately.

E Hollands - He's an out and out gun. We waited a bit to inject him into the middle of the ground and when we did it helped turn things. He doesn't need a lot to help turn a game. He gets it in dangerous positions. He uses it really well.

McGovern - Had a lot of the ball but he had a dirty day. Fumbles and a few contested ball losses. Looked like someone who had been given a week off training.

Pittonet - He probably lost the ruck contest and started slowly but he came good as the game went on. He's not at the level of TDK but if your second ruck can come in and do that well then we have to be happy.

Cowan - Nearly consider this a breakout game. Just kept getting it and putting his body on the line. His frame is still pretty light but he is having a crack. I trust him with ball in hand. He's going to become a really good player for us.

McKay - Started poorly but it's almost like giving him a run in the ruck switches him on. Goes in there, has an immediate impact then takes it forward to mark and kick goals. Finished the game strongly.

Boyd - Not involved much early but it was a strong start and a great game. His ball handling impressed me and of course his kicking and defending did as well.

Weitering - Took some really good intercepts and again was solid. It's been a really slow start to the season for him and he's come good late. Looks strong and confident.

Fantasia - Only a matter of time before he really hit the scoreboard. He's been doing things right and his work rate has been good without scoring goals. This was his day.

Fogarty - Another who rarely hits the scoreboard had a day out. All snaps probably helps, he's not the best kick but it's nice to see another who works hard get some reward.

Kemp - Had some good moments, was fairly solid. I don't think he did enough to make the Marchbank or Kemp argument go away. But we can rely on him pretty well and that's fine with me.

Williams - He was solid. Another quiet game but he is another who doesn't need much of it. His ball use is really good and he's another strong body at ground level up forward.

Owies - Had a dirty day skillswise, dropped a couple of sitters. Not clean today.

Cincotta - Was given a bath early and it was looking like the experiment was about to have it's first failure. He ended up finishing pretty well. He kicked a couple, he kicks well to the forwards, he's strong at ground level.

Hollands - Didn't get much of it but gets to all the right places, halves his contests and helped the defence well. I'd say he's doing the minimum and basics well but he's probably not exempt from competing players. However we don't really have any wingers bashing the door down. With no injuries it would be Docherty but he is out.

Curnow - Probably a day off for him, he was poor. Lost a lot of one on ones, we went too him and the ball came back the other way a bit much, He's probably playing sore.

Hewett - Came on late. He's not a tactical sub, he's an injury sub. Didn't get the opportunity to do much.
Agree with all above.

Cotters for Ollie will happen at some point pre-finals I’d say.

The only think holding Ollie back is his strength over the ball and at the player - evidenced again yesterday a few times.

He’s a good kid who could benefit spending some time at The Kenneth Hunter School Of Contesting.

Agree with all above.

The only think holding Ollie back is his strength over the ball and at the player - evidenced again yesterday a few times.

He’s a good kid who could benefit spending some time at The Kenneth Hunter School Of Contesting.
It will be interesting to see where Cottrell ends up. Our biggest criticism of him is that he doesn't get much of the ball or kick many goals which has been a criticism of Hollands in a way.

Hollands averaging one more disposal a game than Cottrell. Playing different positions though.

I thought Hollands contested work was better yesterday and his defensive work has been good. But Cottrell is a more mature option.

My gut feeling is that Hollands will retain his potion on the wing. But I am not sure of that at all. Cottrell has never really been convincing as a wingman to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess it's your choice if you want to use such a derogatory sledge. The term is highly offensive and is used to degrade women...but if you can't see that then i can't change your interpretation
Of it and use of the word.
I broadly agree with you but in this specific context i think it's an acceptable use of the term, although if i'm honest i don't really like nicknames for other clubs.

Agree with all above.

If Cotrell gets himself fit and ready, it's hard not to see him coming in for Ollie. A fit and firing motlop and Martin should also find a way into to the team, but at who's expense? Owies , fantasia or fogarty? Maybe even sacrifice one of Kennedy or Hewett? Depending on team balance. It's a good problem to have.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

What's going on with Ollie?

I don't care so much about the low possession games. but he looks really out of sorts.

His strength was his running. I'm sure he's still doing plenty of it.. but he doesn't seem to be gut running into space and helping us transition the footy.

His contested work has never been a strength but it seems he's losing more 1 on 1 contests than ever before.

I've said this before.. but he needs to a massive summer in the gym and put on 5kg of muscle.

For now I don't know what the answer is.

I think it's easy to forget he's just a second-year player who's still learning the ropes a bit.

Having said that, being at the game yesterday, the one thing I noticed with Ollie is positionally he sometimes gives his opponents too much leg rope. He's playing within our team structure and part of what we want to do is tease kicks from our opponents but I think he can be a little caught out by either not being responsive enough or giving them too much space.

Wondering if Cripps is carltons GOAT?

Such as dedicated, selfless champian of the game. And looks like a great bloke, family man.

Considering he battled through our darkest years, would have been easy for him to go back home to WA.
Has easily gone past Judd, Kouta now. Nearly at Sticks’ level. A flag gets him there imo.

I think it's easy to forget he's just a second-year player who's still learning the ropes a bit.

Having said that, being at the game yesterday, the one thing I noticed with Ollie is positionally he sometimes gives his opponents too much leg rope. He's playing within our team structure and part of what we want to do is tease kicks from our opponents but I think he can be a little caught out by either not being responsive enough or giving them too much space.
I think it's the fact he gives just a shade too much space to his opponent. it allows them that split second to get their kick or handball off instead of getting wrapped up in the tackle.

I made a list of my top 50 players in the comp pre-season and HAD CRIPPA at 3.

Copped a bit of flack for it I remember.......... Looks like I might of had him a BIT LOW. :thumbsu:

Very good win.

Hats off to Tigers early, this was their Grand Final, they came to play and gave a good fight.

We adsorbed their best and then went to a level they could not compete with and blew them away.

This is becoming a theme............

Charlie is not above Jesaulenko. But how amazing it is to finally a player in that conversation again? Loved Fev and Sticks though.

If Cripps leads this team to a flag, it will elevate his standing into the Nichols sphere. A flag from where we've been, now with 100k members? Would be iconic.

He's already at the Judd level for sheer inspirational leadership when we were at our lowest ebb. As others pointed out, Sticks had teams full of talent.
Jezza played 1 season as a sole fwd. Curnow is the best pure fwd I have seen @ Carlton. He does things Kernahan couldn't

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 16 Blues tame the Tigers easily

Back