Autopsy 2024 Rd 18 Blues fail to fire for their skipper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 18 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Still pissed off that this is what we dished up to honour Cripp's 200th match.
I’m the same actually. Just a disrespectful showing.

Ps. Im not buying the bulldust spreading about us experimenting or even selection integrity. Cottrell comes straight back but Martin as an example is playing VFL!!! Kennedy sub? If there is one game you play a 2nd inside bull, it’s against the dogs, Just goes on and on…

He kicked poorly...not sure how that equates to selfishness though. I'd be expecting the two times reigning Coleman medallist to be having a crack at everything in range.
One of his 7 points where he seemingly had a lazy ping for goal over the head of a running clear in to the goal square Crippa. That was one of the low points of the night for me. Looked very selfish not to hit up Crippa and Charlie's now burned him more than once in recent weeks. Crippa berated him last week from memory, for not handballing to him in the clear running past towards goal when Curnow swung around and roosted a 60m point and cost another certain goal.

if we want a completely ineffectual ruckman to partner tdk we might be better off using young, although he may rival pittonet for un-usefulness around the ground. he at least gives you options if you need to throw the magnets around or your policy for selection is to pick players to cover others in the event of a late out. no secret why jsos did plenty of ruck minutes.
pittonet is better than he played but skews the team.

selection dartboard may have had dow get a game yesterday. he wouldn't have been behind any of the theoretical first choice centre bounce mids like kennedy or hewett at the start of the game. i don't know that he would be a solution, it's more a comment we traded out a couple of our quicker players without any pace coming back in.
any future plans for c durdin or boyd to play midfield? release cincotta at least somewhat? throw saad in the mix?

no surprise that a few are having their worst patch of form for the year, drop your level and your teammates can follow you down. back to basics and don't assume we'll just win over north, because they'll be looking at us knowing they are a chance.

Still pissed off that this is what we dished up to honour Cripp's 200th match.
When he kicked that goal in the last and basically said come with me … and we didn’t … pissed me off no end … would’ve been pretty tough looking him in the eye after the game … we better respond from here on in

Gee how much better did we look when TDK went solo ruck halfway through the last. I presumed they played Pitto because TDK was injured but he moved fine. Absolutely shocking selection.

Even more weird was starting Pitto in ruck at the start of the last. It’s almost like they couldn’t see we were getting killed on spread when he was rhere. Our mids are not quick and need the extra pressure TDK provides when he’s there.

Bewildering we let them have the extra through the middle of the ground. Real deer in the headlights game from Voss.

Despite how he looked it’s very plausible to believe the MC were worried TDK wouldn’t make it through the game and to play Pittonet rather than risk being left with only Harry to ruck.

Another bewildering move is not playing Hewett and having Kennedy as sub against a side with a good midfield. Again I can only assume that both are not 100%.

That said the biggest selection worry by far is the 2nd and 3rd defender roles. Gov will solve 1 spot but I don’t trust any of Young, Marchy, Kemp or Durdin for the other.

Whilst disappointing to loss, GWS and the Dogs are both good sides likely to make the 8. It has put pressure on our Top 4 chances but I think we will still get there.

Despite how he looked it’s very plausible to believe the MC were worried TDK wouldn’t make it through the game and to play Pittonet rather than risk being left with only Harry to ruck.

Another bewildering move is not playing Hewett and having Kennedy as sub against a side with a good midfield. Again I can only assume that both are not 100%.

That said the biggest selection worry by far is the 2nd and 3rd defender roles. Gov will solve 1 spot but I don’t trust any of Young, Marchy, Kemp or Durdin for the other.

Whilst disappointing to loss, GWS and the Dogs are both good sides likely to make the 8. It has put pressure on our Top 4 chances but I think we will still get there.
There are a few rumours going around, both on here and from people I’ve talked to, that Hewett had the flu a couple of weeks ago, and may have lost a bit of conditioning as a result. Wouldn’t surprise me if thats the case

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Screams of arrogance.

I was convinced that Pitto was in because Charlie would be a late out. Mind boggling selection against English. One selection singlehandedly reduced our run, greatly diminished TDK's impact, and prevented McKay from getting involved at all in the second half (1 touch in a half of footy).

I'm a massive Cottrell fan, but was perplexed when he was brought in last week, and even more so that he was kept in this week. He's nowhere near form, where is selection integrity?

I'm not a huge Hewett fan, but our midfield was dominating prior to the Richmond game. We've replaced him with a struggling Cerra who looks slow and lacks desperation - why?

We are so easy to defend when either Saad or Gov are missing. Teams hem us in and force us down the line, then win it back at ground level with extra numbers. Happened against Pies, happened against Swans and again tonight.
"Selection integrity" - spot on.

Ignoring this whole positional fallacy, when you have players in positions whom are out of form why the f@#$ play them? We suffered for weeks seeing Fantasia be a traffic cone (and subbed out accordingly), but but but he's our only remaining "fit" mid-small forward. We have Ollie, Boyd out of form for weeks. Throw in Cotters and Cerra underdone and plus had two injury prone players on the field in Marchbank and Williams where we lost one early (imagine Gov was also playing or Cunners... oy vey), is it so inconceivable to play the odds and think "hey we'll get better output from an in form player for at least one of those out of form players.

Why clearly indicate to players like Hewett, Owies the last couple of weeks by not respecting the effort, desire and output they've put in the whole season to get us to this point, that they're viewed as more of a liability in the team than having Ollie and Cotters run around like headless chooks.

For every action, there is a reaction

If Pitto doesn't play, Harry gets more opportunities to get involved in forward half stoppages as the second ruck. Also forces us a bit (not that we're any good at it!!) to lower our eyes playing a smaller fwd line during that time he's up the ground

I know I'm speaking with emotion but I blame team balance and selection integrity for the lion's share of yesterday's loss
Yeah fully agree. I believe on the same line that TDK just 'rises' to the challenge when he plays on his own in the ruck. He needs to be 'in the action' way more. I was pretty pro pitto early in the season because he was helping in the clearance game so much. But TDK has gone past him so quickly.

Can only think they're managing loads and trying to be super healthy for the home stretch. Dunno.

Their small forward West kicked 4 goals, whoever was playing on him didn't do his job.
Do we play 1 on 1 much ? Aside from whoever weits and kemp go to it seems pretty fluid. Unless a Newman glues himself to a toby green. I think they just got a lot of fast supply and someone got on the end of it :/. Not sure Cowan/Newman had their best games but cow is young and Newman's going to struggle against really really fast entries... As would most of the comp.

Had visitors yesterday, and didn't get to see second half of the game. Appreciated various comments here re game. I don't think it's doom and gloom, but there is still work to be done for improvement. I was disappointed with the result, including (especially) because of Cripps 200th. I know it's a team sport, and not about individual accolades, but Cripps is a true Blue champion. I'm still dreaming of a Cripps medallion trifecta at end of year... He would so deserve it...

There are a few rumours going around, both on here and from people I’ve talked to, that Hewett had the flu a couple of weeks ago, and may have lost a bit of conditioning as a result. Wouldn’t surprise me if thats the case

Absolutely. Yet some posters on here want to put the loss on the MC not knowing for sure what selection dilemmas they were dealing with behind the scenes. Nobody on here knows more than the MC who live and breathe this stuff. This isn’t rocket science so I’m really not sure why posters make such ill informed comments.

Absolutely. Yet some posters on here want to put the loss on the MC not knowing for sure what selection dilemmas they were dealing with behind the scenes. Nobody on here knows more than the MC who live and breathe this stuff. This isn’t rocket science so I’m really not sure why posters make such ill informed comments.
Hewett looked pretty good in the VFL today … the extra day must have really helped his conditioning.

Gee Marchy comes in for his first game in ages and dissed relentlessly. In the absence of Gov (emphasis added), he’s still ahead of Young and S Durdin for 3rd tall back role.

Maybe JSOS an option but he’s done for 24.

This is the same guy that was in our best in Lions Gabba final v Hipwood.

Shock.. horror..worth another week to see if he can get some form back. If not, well ok we reassess him then.

I’m not worried about Kemp either. Yet to play 50 games and has shown more than enough.

Marchbank is a known quantity. I would've had S Durdin any day of the week. I understand they are different types of defenders but for all the bleating of needing a 2nd KPD, we have given the guy NO **** OPPORTUNITIES AT ALL!!!

Didn't watch VFL but told he had 18 disposals today, 8 marks and 8 intercepts

If Voss and co are in this LSD tripping experimentation stage with our team, picking S Durdin is like drinking a can of Red Bull by comparison. Hardly wild and psychedelic

Maybe I’m just a fan of entertainers but I love seeing Charlie have a shot from 60m

Harry would never, even though he is more than capable

However, burning Cripps was a strange one

Think Charles just needs to find the balance between expressing himself and being selfless - in recent weeks he had been too selfless and this week he was a bit selfish

I’m never going to worry about a player who has shown on multiple times they can have 10 shots on goal (with four in the last quarter alone)

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 18 Blues fail to fire for their skipper

Back