Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Who played well for the Blues in Round 17 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s been 3 concerning “run ons” that we have conceded this year. Lions in the first and early 2nd, swans in the 2nd and third and gws today in the 2nd and third.

The common denominator? No Weitering/hampered Weitering.

I can’t see a reality where we challenge for a flag without Weiters. He is without a doubt the biggest piece of the puzzle and we look incredibly disorganised as a backline unit without his presence.

So true…. It’s not just his defensive and intercept capability but his organization of the backline that we miss when off the ground

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I get that ,it could of also blown out to 6 or 7 loss..
I hope Vossy gives the players a rocket and he also takes accountability for a couple of mind boggling selections.
I am not sure the old fashioned spray from the coach works that well these days, not like in our days DD ;)

Went into a LOT of contests with only one arm. He’s either carrying a left shoulder issue or he’s so dumb/arrogant he thinks that’ll cut it at the level. He was terrrible last night. I stilll love him, but his few touches in the last only highlighted how hopeless the rest of his evening was. Why on earth a supreme aerobic athlete plays a stop-and-wrestle game all night is beyond me. Hit up! Jump! As soon as he does he looks unstoppable!
Don't want to put a dampener on this, but I have not seen him being a supreme aerobic athlete, doesn't chase and only 15 tackles for the year. The ball is in our forward line so often and often so close to him, to be going under 1 tackle a game for the year is poor. He will only half put pressure on if the oppo player is within 3-5 metres of him, anything further than that and he shows no interest.

I was screaming out for Vossy to do something during the game. Change it up, get Walsh or Charlie freed up.

Voss said they tweaked some things but they didn't work. He also said that our run with roles were going okay, but we had to stop them to try to stem the momentum.

I didn't really notice any of these changes though. It looked very same-ish while it was all happening.
Coaching from the bench, does Voss really have much involvement in, in-game positional changes or tactics or is it Hansen and the other assistants in the box?

I would have thought the role of the on the bench coach would be to give players direct feedback and encouragement…

We have jumped 4 top sides since last years prelim only for them to come back & smash us in a blink of an eye.
Bris up by 5 goals, Pies up by 4 goals, Syd up by 4 goals, GWS up by 6 goals
These tops sides did not claw their way back over the next 3 quarters to get up & win. They were back level & goals in front in a flash. In other big games we can also throw in the 1st final last year against the Swans & Dees in the 2nd final. Syd from way down nearly beat us & Dees should’ve won the 2nd final.

From these 6 games, the opposition did 5 things similar by flooding our defence & tactically nullifying our centre clearances. Allowing plenty of space on the counter forward of centre. The other game against the Pies earlier this year, they suffocated us around the stoppages.
Curnow & McKay will destroy opposition if they have space to work in. Although it means smalls struggle to get front & centre in time and apply forward pressure because of Curnow’s & McKay’s athleticism. Pressure in this case normally comes from players up the ground swarming in numbers into the forward line. Both Curnow & McKay are not as strong & effective in a cramped stagnate forward line.

When we jump top sides early on & we know what they will do & how they will reset. This what l would do.

For 15 to 20 minutes l would send Charlie to the fullback line & play a similar role like Sicily because like Sicily Curnow can read off the boot & is strong one on one. I would send McKay further up the ground around the wing to receive relief kicks from desperate defenders because game has changed & we are stagnate & lost our run. I would send Weitering to full forward because he is strongest in team under the ball. Smalls can play front & centre easier to him & keep ball more often in forward line. I would play Cripps forward in this time also to help bring ball to ground. I would place a more faster nullifying tackling team of midfielders in this 15 to 20min
There is a lot more to this with use of other players but this is a plan B. It would give players & coaches time to readjust to opposition tactics & not such a dramatic change in the game.

Alternatively going forward, we can look to our massive 50 points winning streak of 9 games last year & see what was happening here. Here even when we weren’t dominating clearances to jump teams, we were running with overlap handball from half back through the centre which draws opposition defenders, clearing space. This also means we can play as a team deeper in opposition forward line. Similar to what teams do to us in above scenario & as GWS last night in 2nd & 3rd. However, this requires a smaller faster team with polish. It also means we hunt opposition & close down their time & space with immense pressure hurrying them at every contest. Playing quick skillful 360 degrees players like Martin & Cuningham helps. And certainly not playing 2 Rucks(Athough there is a time & place) It’s all about closing time & space against opposition. So you need a very mobile team.

Disappointed last night but still very excited by what this team has produced & what it can produce.
Go Blues!!!!

It’s games like these where Voss comes out at prevois pressers and says “teams are going to have to play four quarters to beat us” and makes us look stupid.

Selection was dubious, effort was not there and the tactical nous to leave Kemp on Hogan was about as silly as it gets.

The unwillingness to put CC back to get in the game was frustrating and we copped what we deserved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps was not so-so he was the one player who played near his best, 33 disposals and played a lone hand during large chunks of the game, problem was he did not have enough support.

When they broke our hearts at the start of the 3rd, kicking 4, Cripps had zero, that’s ZERO touches and was benched. They ran interference on him and it worked.

I love Cripps as much as the next guy but he was awful when the whips were cracking…

For all those disliking my post, please listen to the comments around this time in game. This is when the whips were cracking and he was benched so we could reset the midfield. Voss’ face tells it all…
IMG_9183.jpeg

Last edited:
I was screaming out for Vossy to do something during the game. Change it up, get Walsh or Charlie freed up.

Voss said they tweaked some things but they didn't work. He also said that our run with roles were going okay, but we had to stop them to try to stem the momentum.

I didn't really notice any of these changes though. It looked very same-ish while it was all happening.

I noticed this too. Reminded me of the Teague era where the coaching was stubborn.

Didn’t throw Curnow back, move Kemp off Hogan, or make any positional changes really.

Odd night from the coaches, will give them a mulligan as they’ve been mostly good this year, but the match day coaching along with selection seemed poor last night.

I definitely think the lifeless feel in that stadium isn’t good for our group

We need big crowds to get us over the line. I reckon we might’ve jagged the win with a crowd behind them
It does seem that way. Our 2 worst performances have both been in NSW.

There no doubting that the crowd is a factor...our boys really respond in Melbourne to the loud Carlton crowd cheering goals and screaming BALLLL. You can see it energises them.

Makes it absolutely critical we finish top 2 and don't risk having to play interstate in finals.

It's not the end of the world but its a concerning message that other teams will take note of.

Walsh can be tagged out, and if you apply extreme pressure we're still prone to folding.

Team will have to go up another notch and deal with being the hunted if they want to talk flags.

I'm still pretty shitty this morning, just need to bank these bloody W's to give us top 4 with some breathing space for the final few games, but I just know we're going to make it hard for ourselves.
To be fair, every team struggles against extreme pressure....thats the nature of it.

Also with tagging. We've been the biggest success stories of using a tagger with Cincotta dominating...he destroyed Merrett who just destroyed Collingwood because they let him run around.

Fyfe tagged Heeney successfully last week. Neal Bulleen did the job on N Daicos recently. It's not really a new blueprint for teams.

Although I am surprised more teams haven't tagged Walsh this year. I certainly would be as an opposition coach.

My first time to ENGIE. Was a fun sort of country game vibe to it. Venue is pretty good.

What was jarring was this:

Crowd: 11,730 at Engie Stadium

Yikes. AFL has a long way to go in Western Sydney. The light shows and music after every goal felt pretty hollow when there were about 1500 GWS fans there only.

Good ground just terrible weather and first day of school holidays in NSW, April/May time it’s superb!

Block buster fatigue is a real thing. We didn’t look interested at all last night and there was hardly a Blue bagger in sight!

We were bad but some respect to the giants,they were back to their running best would’ve beaten anyone last night.

The last quarter was a positive couldve easily just folded.

Like most posts here we’ll find out next week in how we respond.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disagree…

The run I will give you but the total lack of a decent 2nd tall defender to play on Hogan is just totally unacceptable.

Please tell me Marchy got through ok..

We were bad but some respect to the giants,they were back to their running best would’ve beaten anyone last night.

The last quarter was a positive couldve easily just folded.

Like most posts here we’ll find out next week in how we respond.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disagree…

The run I will give you but the total lack of a decent 2nd tall defender to play on Hogan is just totally unacceptable.

Please tell me Marchy got through ok..

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Back