Preview 2024 Rd 18 Carlton vs Bevo's Bullies Saturday 13th July 4:35PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium - #CRIPPS200

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Issue is Wing now is a very specific role. Not many can do it well.

Ollie is struggling around the contest but IMO there isn't an obvious option. I think Kemp is perfect but to change his role now is a big call
Agree, Kemp to OH’s wing should at least be trialled, this week opportune. If Marchy is fit he can move into the backline in lieu of BK.

Get Owies back into the team as well.

And start warming up Jack Martin’s calf/calves ready for his forward return.

So you want to replace one guy playing poorly with another guy who played poorly and has never played well on a wing?

Steady on. Ollie has been largely underwhelming all year outside of two or three games. Cottrell was first up last Saturday off 7 weeks.

He plays the attacking win role reasonably well and gets involved in overlaps and score involvements whilst Acres does his job playing the defensive wing.

For the record, I’m an Ollie fan but he’s simply not doing enough from an attacking viewpoint nor his negating his direct opponent at anywhere near the level we should be excepting.

Interesting - I have us needing 6-1 for second with Freo having a pretty nice run home
Still don’t rate Freo that highly I know they beat the swans, but their record against top teams is pretty poor. And they looked pretty average at home last night once Serong had his influence limited.

Still don’t rate Freo that highly I know they beat the swans, but their record against top teams is pretty poor. And they looked pretty average at home last night once Serong had his influence limited.
Didn't watch the game yesterday but generally speaking I agree that they don't "feel" like a really top team. But a lot of their tough games to come are at home so gotta favour them in most games

Steady on. Ollie has been largely underwhelming all year outside of two or three games. Cottrell was first up last Saturday off 7 weeks.

He plays the attacking win role reasonably well and gets involved in overlaps and score involvements whilst Acres does his job playing the defensive wing.

For the record, I’m an Ollie fan but he’s simply not doing enough from an attacking viewpoint nor his negating his direct opponent at anywhere near the level we should be excepting.

Cottrell has been tried and failed badly as a wingman. He gets very lost

Your comments of his ability aren’t backed up by history or facts

Why wouldn't he have the fitness base?
Agree Soap, fitness is not his issue. Is showing quiet a lot of potential at VFL level. Think he has a good future in front of him as an inside mid.

Right also about him not being a wingman. Got to play player's where they can really excel.

no issues with kemp in the team. but i feel with his skillset he'd be playing elsewhere on the field if we had other tall-ish defenders busting down the door with form and not physically falling apart. seems like a natural, healthier successor to jack martin as a third tallish forward. aerial threat, midfielder attributes. would be the guy to switch hit if curnow got told to pull his finger out in a final and sit in the backline as an interceptor.

we may raid the defender piggy-bank for the dogs forwards. we're lucky with no naughton and for now jamarra is not the most accurate guy going around. it's no wonder weitering prefers kemp in the team, someone like young is more likely to be a matchup for players weitering prefers to play on, young less likely to nullify them completely of course.
kemp is good enough if those further upfield aren't doing absolutely nothing. he's certainly been fashioned into a defender out of necessity as much as anything.

english a good match-up for tdk. might also be a good game for pittonet to play a kick behind.

don't know that we have room for both cottrell and o hollands. doubt we'll see owies sub in a hurry.

good recent history against the doggies, not a good recent history against out of form teams just outside the 8 though...

get the pill more, stop the doggies from gathering their usual truckload of footy, win.

I think we need to give opportunity to a few players to see whether they are going to be a part of our finals run or not.

Boyd Weitering McGovern
Saad Marchbank Newman
Acres Cripps Kemp
Williams Curnow Hollands
Fogarty McKay Owies
DeKoning Walsh Cerra
Cowan Hewett Kennedy Cincotta
Cuningham
Motlop Carroll Pittonet

IN:
Marchbank - Playing for his career, had a run of games in the VFL, he will be better at AFL level. Give him his moment, see if he can play as well as he did end of last season.

Hewett - He was in form, we could do with the extra rotation and grunt.

Motlop - He's had a run of games in the VFL, he's been ok, I'm not convinced he's ready but he should be fit enough to play as the sub. At least he is an impact player.

OUT:
Hollands - He's just not quite there, give him a run in the VFL to gain some form. Hollands has never been made to play well in the VFL and earn a spot and I don't like that.

Cottrell - Worst player on the ground, was crazy bringing him straight back, he's not that level of player. Didn't touch it, opponent was one of their best. First player out.

Fantasia - Had a big game against a poor Richmond side. He was just really quiet.

Tactical
Kemp to a wing. We know he's fit and can do big KMs. He gives us a bigger body and more experience than Hollands. I want to see him play a defensive wing role where he drops back inside D50 and gives us that lose man. Will be better than Hollands doing this. Will free up Acres if he goes really well. Use his ability to read the incoming ball as a lose player. IMO is a boom move waiting to happen.

Kemp would not just be a handy winger but an amazing player to have lose dropping back in defence.

Marchbank isn't coming in on great form but he's had a run of games, playing VFL where his opposition player is focusing on keeping him out of the play. He's a much better player at AFL level and if he happens to regain form before finals we are a better team for it. If he fails, it's back to the VFL and probably career over. I've said it before and I will say it again. He does not build form in the VFL well, he needs to play AFL to build form. When fit he is best 22. Coach knows it. We need to see now whether that can happen or not. Question is, is he fit enough? Should be.

Cuningham is a much better player than Cottrell and can play multiple positions. Was good in the VFL. Demonstrated really good fitness. Again, playing for his season and his career, he will be motivated.

Owies back in starting on.

More inside mid rotations.

Soon

Motlop is close. It's a matter of fitness, not talent.

Martin will likely be back next week. His talent level is definitely a straight back in player. But his body may require VFL time. He will make a big impact if we can get him fit. Probably comes back for the North game, but don't write him off playing this one.

Fogarty will make way for Martin or Motlop if he ever regains fitness. It's a matter of when.

Thoughts
If Curnow needs a rest, TDK forward and Pittonet ruck.

If Weitering misses, Young had a form game otherwise Durdin has been playing fullback in the VFL side. Why he played back pocket and not fullback on Hogan is a head scratcher.

Last edited:
Issue is Wing now is a very specific role. Not many can do it well.

Ollie is struggling around the contest but IMO there isn't an obvious option. I think Kemp is perfect but to change his role now is a big call

The question is, would Kemp's output be better than Hollands if we changed it now? I think he would at least match it then build on it. I think there is time.

We can easily make his role simple, defensive winger, follow your man when we have it forward, push back inside D50 and play your natural intercept defender's game when they have it.

You and I can see the same thing. He's be good in the one on one contests around the midfield. He only has to defend his man when we have it forward. He's a natural reader of the game and intercept defender so when he has no opponent to man, when he's sitting inside D50 he's going to be really good.

For all we know he may read the game really well as a winger.

Where does he rest? Perhaps forward pocket? This could also give us a third tall mobile forward that we don't have but need at times.

I'd just do it. One game against the dogs and one against North the following week. IMO it's a good time to do this as Marchbank is also at the end of a run of VFL games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ollie has a spell in the twos.
Cottrell replaces him on on the wing. ✅

That leaves a spot at half forward for Jack Martin (assuming he’s fit)

Motlop direct swap for Fantasia. ✅

I think we need to find a way to get Hewett back in to quell Treloar. Cincotta to obviously go to Bont. I’d say Cowan makes way.

Dogs forwards aren’t a massive threat so better to have an extra mid for this game given it’s going to be won at the stoppage.

IN: Motlop, Martin, Hewett
OUT: Fantasia, Ollie, Cowan

Kemp had 5 kicked on him and Cottrell was clearly the worst player on the ground. He was brought straight into the side after injury like he was Chris Judd when he's barely a B grade footballer.

No way does he survive team selection.

He's never done anything as a wingman to suggest he can play that role. I've seen his opponents become BOG's in that role too.

Fogarty will not be dropped. Cerra will not be dropped and neither will Cottrell. Fantasia and Ollie would possibly make way for Motlop and Hewett. Cottrell would unlikely start sub as dropping Ollie means we would not have enough running players.

Curnow needs a rocket.

Fogarty will not be dropped. Cerra will not be dropped and neither will Cottrell. Fantasia and Ollie would possibly make way for Motlop and Hewett. Cottrell would unlikely start sub as dropping Ollie means we would not have enough running players.

Curnow needs a rocket.
Starting an endurance player as sub would be a poor decision from any MC. You would literally be taking away their strength

This is Cripps 200th?

Fun Yes GIF by Lilly Singh

I think we need to give opportunity to a few players to see whether they are going to be a part of our finals run or not.

Boyd Weitering McGovern
Saad Marchbank Newman
Acres Cripps Kemp
Williams Curnow Hollands
Fogarty McKay Owies
DeKoning Walsh Cerra
Cowan Hewett Kennedy Cincotta
Cuningham
Motlop Carroll Pittonet

would be amazing if kemp found a home on the wing, gives us so many options including throwing him back on someone if necessary or forward. so long as he had the tank and someone to fill the gap in defence. do it vossy.

People can't be seriously wanting to bring Cuningham back, a 9 year player who has never proven anything beyond potential, should have been off the list years ago. He's not helping us to win finals.

Ollie has a spell in the twos.
Cottrell replaces him on on the wing. ✅

That leaves a spot at half forward for Jack Martin (assuming he’s fit)

Motlop direct swap for Fantasia. ✅

I think we need to find a way to get Hewett back in to quell Treloar. Cincotta to obviously go to Bont. I’d say Cowan makes way.

Dogs forwards aren’t a massive threat so better to have an extra mid for this game given it’s going to be won at the stoppage.

IN: Motlop, Martin, Hewett
OUT: Fantasia, Ollie, Cowan
Best way to get Hewett back in is to move Kennedy to half forward or sub vest.

Cottrell to Ollie’s role
Kennedy for Fantasia role
Owies onto field
Motlop (sub)

In- Hewett & Motlop
Out- Ollie & Fantasia

I don’t believe it’s a clear case of saying Fantasia or Fogarty will be dropped.
Certainly not the latter. He’s done his role since returning.
The entire team bar a few were poor but the same side effectively won 5 on the trot before a poor performance.
Voss won’t tinker with it too much.
Weiters will be fine for the game.
Cottrell wasn’t ready but I wonder if he will make way to find some fitness and form.
It’s quite possible there is no change.
Possibly Fantasia or Cottrell for Motlop who seems ready for senior games.

People can't be seriously wanting to bring Cuningham back, a 9 year player who has never proven anything beyond potential, should have been off the list years ago. He's not helping us to win finals.

Agree
Has rarely shown anything at AFL level
Great at VFL sure but doesn’t bring it in the big league.

Can’t possible crucify Kemp for the coaches playing him in the wrong spot and match up.

Will be one of the worst match committee decisions in recent history if they dropped Brodie Kemp for an underperforming, out of form, slow Caleb Marchbank.

As some have said, that was a horrible match up they made Kemp do last night. We all know Brodie isn’t a pure defender for the big gorllia forwards.

Marchbank is a liability. Time to move on.

O Hollands needs a run in the reserves, hasn't got the strength just yet he needs a break from the seniors. Fantasia needs to go, can't believe we drafted him, wonder why he even got a spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back