Autopsy 2024 Rd 19 Blues survive a Kangaroo scare

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Roos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I really do not like what I've seen the last 3 weeks whatsoever. And I have no idea where it's come from. Hoping it's a lull. Worried it's something more. Next couple of weeks will put it in to context.

PS - Drop Cez please. Been nowhere near it in the midfield and he ain't a backman. Yes, too good to be playing in reserves. But he's also too much of a passenger to play in the ones currently. Drop him now, play him in to form and get him back for finals.

One thing I noticed at the ground today is that we setup defensively around the ground for neutral (I.e. centre wing) stoppages)

Are we expecting to lose the clearance or are we just trying to give H and Charlie space to operate in?

We have a high ceiling and can kick goals but we have holes defensively (running back) and just dire competing for balls in defensive 50.

A win and we'll take it.

Forcing us through the first half... I'm just not sure how to enjoy that when everyone says enjoy the ride. I think more than anything else we are just terrible favourites and can't deal mentally.

For the club's supporters that hate us and the neutrals we must be amazingly fun to watch. There are so many games where there are significant time periods where we look like a trainwreck of massive proportions.

Then for us, there is sheer elation in moments of craziness.

We are second, we are horrific, and we are incredible...and we are everything in between.

Can anyone honestly say that Durdin was a better selection than Kemp or even Young?

If Durdin is ahead of Young, we need to clear the decks.

As a solo performance, no.
But we seemed to have a better team defense today.
I can only think that the reason why Kemp keeps getting dropped is because he doesn't help set things up when the ball is coming back. Pure conjecture on my end but he doesn't play poorly enough in other areas to justify it.
So did he do much more himself vs Kemp? No. But we set up much better down the ground today I felt. Was that due to the absence of Kemp/ inclusion of Durdin? No idea.

The effort worries me. Thought after last two weeks and picking all our bulls we would have come out fired up. Yet we were soft

Selection around HB, defence is a concern as is midfield balance

Lot to work on and finals getting closer
Thought the effort was their, although the first fifteen minutes we seemed like we had just gotten out of bed.

Midfield battle was interesting, thought they made us look so slow at times. They were moving the footy in lightning quick fashion at times and we were looking flatfooted a fair bit.

Jack Carroll really impressed me, best game I have seen him play. I hope they keep him in the team, has a great left peg and a little bit of burst.

Really liked Ollies game as well. Played like a man possessed I thought, easily his best effort this year. Hopefully he has turned the corner now.

Also happy with Cotters, serviceable game, good improvement from last week.

So good to have Motts back as well. He brings a lot of energy and unpredictability to our forward line. He will be better for the run as well.

Overall, happy to bank the four points. North are a much improved side, I under-estimated how much better they are now. They are a very quick team on a hard deck that suits their style. They may even be pushing for a top eight spot next season, if their improvements continue on this trajectory.

Can anyone honestly say that Durdin was a better selection than Kemp or even Young?

If Durdin is ahead of Young, we need to clear the decks.
Thought he did OK, certainly looks more a 2nd Kpd than others. Don't really understand the rush to send him back to the VFL when we need a better solution when Weitering or Gov miss.

There are some real lingering concerns. It is too easy for the opposition to set up shots on goal from almost directly on front. We are in a mess between the arcs in defensive transition at the moment. The opposition cuts through us too easy.

I think it must be said that there is something not right with Walsh. Too slow to react, finds himself too often trying to scramble to get rid of the ball.

Desperately need McGovern back and for all his flaws Kemp would have to come back for Durdin. At least Kemp impacts offensively.

Yes we won, but being a month or so outside finals we really need to sort things out quick smart.

Interesting with Carroll, maybe dropping him sparked hunger. Played well!

If we don’t find a KPD and look everywhere to fill the giant hole it’s created then I blame list management.
I think Carroll' problem is that he can't play his best for 4 quarters of AFL level football yet. He surprised me tonight was the best clearance player for us for a quarter- with some leg speed and decent kicking.

Cerra isnt match fit for some reason - saw him pass off his own man a couple of times by pointing a finger and standing still...Walsh hasn't been able to outrun anyone for weeks - not like him

yeah I've been pointing the finger at Austin over Young and Durdin and McDonald before them- for a couel of years now... pointing fingers doesn't mean much though I just hope we get a solution for next year - Sam Durdin cant stay on the park for a quarter of AFL football...and watching Young play in VFL he has al the requisite atheltoic and body features occasionally does really good things and then just as often does really bad stuff ....

People see games differently when they look for results firstand only - I think Norfs were playing against 16 Carlton players for a lot of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We must have watched different games.

For his standard he was decent but I’d be surprised if he keeps his spot.
Stick to low-quality trolling - that is your niche mate ;)

Thought the effort was their, although the first fifteen minutes we seemed like we had just gotten out of bed.

Midfield battle was interesting, thought they made us look so slow at times. They were moving the footy in lightning quick fashion at times and we were looking flatfooted a fair bit.

Jack Carroll really impressed me, best game I have seen him play. I hope they keep him in the team, has a great left peg and a little bit of burst.

Really liked Ollies game as well. Played like a man possessed I thought, easily his best effort this year. Hopefully he has turned the corner now.

Also happy with Cotters, serviceable game, good improvement from last week.

So good to have Motts back as well. He brings a lot of energy and unpredictability to our forward line. He will be better for the run as well.

Overall, happy to bank the four points. North are a much improved side, I under-estimated how much better they are now. They are a very quick team on a hard deck that suits their style. They may even be pushing for a top eight spot next season, if their improvements continue on this trajectory.
North are one of the worst teams of the past 25 years - 7 wins in the past 64 games. Two wins this year and a percentage of 65.
Gifted us goals at important times through pure incompetence.
No doubt some of their kids will be stars - LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw. Comben and Xerri are good talls … but I don’t see much depth at this juncture. They are a long way from rising.

Probably a crazy idea, next year would we look at…

TDKs brutal at the contest like Cripps, could we turn TDK into the first 200+ cm inside mid, good below his knees also… Only 6 cms taller than Cripps…

I don’t mind Harry in some centre rucks. Tom can be anything. A ruck rover

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thought he did OK, certainly looks more a 2nd Kpd than others. Don't really understand the rush to send him back to the VFL when we need a better solution when Weitering or Gov miss.
I'd give Durdin another go vs Port if he's fit.

He seemed to hurt himself in the first quarter so was hampered...was mentioned in the presser and Voss gave him some praise.

Thought he grew into the game in the 2nd half, no doubt helped by our mids pulling the finger out and actually winning clearances and i50s.

Jury well and truly still out, but he at least seemed good in the 1v1 test of strength contests. Can't say the same for Kemp or Marchbank.

We have a high ceiling and can kick goals but we have holes defensively (running back) and just dire competing for balls in defensive 50.

A win and we'll take it.

Forcing us through the first half... I'm just not sure how to enjoy that when everyone says enjoy the ride. I think more than anything else we are just terrible favourites and can't deal mentally.

For the club's supporters that hate us and the neutrals we must be amazingly fun to watch. There are so many games where there are significant time periods where we look like a trainwreck of massive proportions.

Then for us, there is sheer elation in moments of craziness.

We are second, we are horrific, and we are incredible...and we are everything in between.

If you watch a lot of games each week then you’ll notice we really not that much different to any other team - most go through peaks and troughs during each game…and the season - it’s just feels more magnified when it’s our team.

Imagine supporting the likes of Freo, Essington, St Kilda, Port, North, the Dees or the Crows? Even Geelong for all their success would’ve been a roller coaster as they might have left a flag or two on the table. The grass isn’t always greener.

As a solo performance, no.
But we seemed to have a better team defense today.
I can only think that the reason why Kemp keeps getting dropped is because he doesn't help set things up when the ball is coming back. Pure conjecture on my end but he doesn't play poorly enough in other areas to justify it.
So did he do much more himself vs Kemp? No. But we set up much better down the ground today I felt. Was that due to the absence of Kemp/ inclusion of Durdin? No idea.

I think Kemp plays a lot better with Gov in the side. Brackets and Bot get the 2 best forwards and Kemp is 3rd man up, he isn't great one on one.

North are one of the worst teams of the past 25 years - 7 wins in the past 64 games. Two wins this year and a percentage of 65.
Gifted us goals at important times through pure incompetence.
No doubt some of their kids will be stars - LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw. Comben and Xerri are good talls … but I don’t see much depth at this juncture. They are a long way from rising.
Was at the game, level two. So if Norf are as shite as you say, then our performance to really only just get over them, was very, very mediocre.

Time will tell, over the next few weeks we may find our mojo and go on to play very deep into September. Or perhaps our form slump is incurable and we never reach the heights we hoped for. Personally I believe the first scenario is more likely.

I think Kemp plays a lot better with Gov in the side. Brackets and Bot get the 2 best forwards and Kemp is 3rd man up, he isn't great one on one.
Don't agree, it's been Kemp on the best forward, JW on the second best and gov as the intercept, at least the past few weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 19 Blues survive a Kangaroo scare

Back