Autopsy 2024 Rd 19 Blues survive a Kangaroo scare

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Roos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible game - won ugly

Gee I feel old

In my day you had to dispose of the footy by hand or foot - not just let it bounce out - it looks like rugby with no offside rule

and don’t get me started on this tackling rule - if the interpretation is somehow correct then the rule has to change - it’s not in the spirit of the game to reward the guy not going for the footy and executing chicken wing tackles
And more frustrating is the give off with one hand that is a throw, not a handball. We did a few but north I reckon got three goals with throws through the corridor.( and an ump standing 5 metres away with clear view on one).
Drives me mad. Yet a player who doesn’t throw it with an arm free a split second after taking possession is called for holding it. Grrrrrr

What about that bullshit free kick against Kennedy at the start of the 3rd quarter, gave North a gift goal that put them up by 3 goals.

I thought the team dug deep and turned it around after that kicking 9.9 to 4.3.

Also some good signs and return to form from Ollie, and contributions from Hewett and Motlop. Great spread of goals from our forwards Charlie 4, Owies and Motlop 3 each, Fogarty and Harry 2 each.

Gov and Kemp hopefully back next week to stiffen up the defence and see Cerra and Kennedy moved to where they do their best work in the midfield / forward.

Shout out to Charlie who kept going and going. Not everything was going his and our way, but kept presenting an option and contesting.

Ended with 15 touches, 9 makes and 4 goals in what most of us would call a 6.5/10 game for him. This will be the start of a good run towards finals.
I thought Logue played really well on Charlie.

But if you lower your colours on Charlie for even a 10 minute patch, he can kick multiple goals in quick succession.

I am the world's biggest Weitering fan, but thought he was very ordinary today.

Couldn't get his positioning right and wasn't his usual intercepting threat.

Hasn't been right since he hurt his leg recently.

Last edited:
Interesting with Carroll, maybe dropping him sparked hunger. Played well!

If we don’t find a KPD and look everywhere to fill the giant hole it’s created then I blame list management.
Sometimes young players just need a reminder that they can actually football.

Putting Cerra in defence was Hammil’s worst decision at Carlton since he left back in 2001.
Shouldn't be anywhere around a contested ball at the moment so it's defence or bust.

After a disastrous first half, thought he did alright in the second half. Was composed and used the footy well. Keep him there till his touch returns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North are one of the worst teams of the past 25 years - 7 wins in the past 64 games. Two wins this year and a percentage of 65.
Gifted us goals at important times through pure incompetence.
No doubt some of their kids will be stars - LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw. Comben and Xerri are good talls … but I don’t see much depth at this juncture. They are a long way from rising.
North are a different team since the bye. Sydney game aside, today was their biggest loss in 7 games.

Positives: We found a gear when required in the 3rd term & we got the 4 points.
Negatives: Defensively dissapointing especially after the chatter doing the week, Injuries.

Not sure where we are at but 1 off week from here and we are heading to sydney or brisbane for an away qualifying final as brisbane wont lose again in the H/A season.
Brisbane will lose again, and more than once

Not as doom and gloom as the rest. A terrible first half, but we were hampered by picking the bare minimum number of talls (5), and losing 2 of them for most of the second quarter.

Durdin looked slow and could barely move with whatever injury he acquired, but held his own under the high ball. Nearly took 4 or 5 intercept marks. Main concern with him is durability - can't afford to lose talls in game.

We were way too loose when the ball hit the deck within 20m. North kicked several goals from the goal square through sloppy defence and too many players getting drawn to the contest.

We were much better after halftime, finally played the game on our terms and were able to pressure North into turning it over. Fogarty was fantastic, and Cottrell a welcome return to form. Ollie played the game at a high clip and held his own defensively. Needs to know his limitations with the ball in hand.

Curnow's looking more dangerous the last fortnight, and might be working himself into some form. Best he's moved all year. Loved Cottrell screaming at him to go back and take the set shot in the 3rd, then shoving him in the chest repeatedly to fire him up after he kicked the goal. The Ice Man showing real leadership there.

Not sure he's got the fitness to run out a full game, but great first half from Carroll. Carried over his VFL form into the AFL. He's got excellent lateral movement and used it to great effect, though completely faded after half time. Might not keep his spot in the side but hopefully good confidence boost for him.

Walsh struggling to move. Not likely him defensive side of the stoppage, he loves wheeling around instead of giving the easy give, and he's got the turning circle of a B-double at the moment. Far more dangerous coming out of the front but teams doing a good job denying him that. I wonder if the back is causing him some grief beyond the knock that Voss mentioned in his presser.

North are a different team since the bye. Sydney game aside, today was their biggest loss in 7 games.
Spot on. As Voss said don’t let ladder position fool you, North have developed into a pretty good side since the bye and are not playing like a second bottom side.

They outplayed us in the second quarter to set up a 2 goal lead at half time. But we had to work hard in the second half and did to overcome them. Very pleased with how we won the game.

We’re 2 points from playing our first final in Brisbane and 8 points from being outside the 8…

Time for the MC and coaches to stop stuffing around and start playing our best side in their best positions each week…

8 points from equal top (but a lot worse percentage) if you want to go glass half full.

We have a very fickle fan base

People cant enjoy wins. This isnt an easy league anymore

And apart from 95, it isn’t like we have had a clearly better home and away season since the afl era began.

We haven’t won more than 14 games in a home and away season since 2000. And we should be able to achieve that.

We need to get better but I’m glad we at least have the opportunity to get better sitting 2nd.

North are one of the worst teams of the past 25 years - 7 wins in the past 64 games. Two wins this year and a percentage of 65.
Gifted us goals at important times through pure incompetence.
No doubt some of their kids will be stars - LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw. Comben and Xerri are good talls … but I don’t see much depth at this juncture. They are a long way from rising.

Yes they are just in probably their best patch of form since last year when they had a patch with ratts in charge and were running sides close.

They will rise at some point, I mean even in 2018 we managed to be competitive against good sides at times, and north are better than what we were that year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 19 Blues survive a Kangaroo scare

Back