Autopsy 2024 Rd 19 Blues survive a Kangaroo scare

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Roos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to the game yesterday and felt our team was out of balance due to necessity … when you have Kennedy , cerra in the backline with durd playing first game …. Walsh struggling , tdk off the ground and mckay in the ruck makes it alot harder to blow teams away and we are out of form.
Smalls were good mots fogs and owies ..
felt when tdk came back on is when we structured up well and won the game.
Durdin dropped atleast 5/6 marks , if he clunked them we would be saying something dif … kemp wouldn’t have done much better.
Ollie some critical mistakes by foot but geez he has lots of guts
Cottrell saad and Newman good
Crippa best for mine and Charlie as frustrating as he is won us the game.
Won’t be watching that game on the replay and looking forward to Friday night
Kemps marking is one of his strengths. He’s a very good mark.

I didn’t watch first half but in the second half I hardly saw durdin…which is sad because there is an opportunity there for a tall KPD.

And more frustrating is the give off with one hand that is a throw, not a handball. We did a few but north I reckon got three goals with throws through the corridor.( and an ump standing 5 metres away with clear view on one).
Drives me mad. Yet a player who doesn’t throw it with an arm free a split second after taking possession is called for holding it. Grrrrrr
What's insane is that the new htb rules encourage the 'drop' one handed to a teammate. Incorrect disposal is not a rule. It's gone so far that if youattempt and dispose incorrect they seem to intentionally be calling play on. This is rugby league without off sides. Looks terrible.

Our defence has been garbage when either one of Gov or Weitering are not playing or lame.

Gov didn’t play the last two weeks and Weitering received a massive corkie against GWS (Gov was also injured).

Kemp was the scapegoat, but we are better defensive unit when those three are playing. I’d be shocked if the stats don’t back me up.

This doesn’t change the fact — in fact it only highlights — that we lack defensive depth.

If anyone is searching for answers re our form:

Second quarter pressure rating 129
Third quarter 250

Above the shoulders.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Or heavy training block or carrying niggles all of these are possibles with unsustainable pressure and lapses as a result. Not necessarily just an attitude issue

Our defence has been garbage when either one of Gov or Weitering are not playing or lame.

Gov didn’t play the last two weeks and Weitering received a massive corkie against GWS (Gov was also injured).

Kemp was the scapegoat, but we are better defensive unit when those three are playing. I’d be shocked if the stats don’t back me up.

This doesn’t change the fact — in fact it only highlights — that we lack defensive depth.
Add Saad to that mix, who's as reliable a small defender as there is in the league.

It’s frustrating that they have to be told to increase the pressure.

Did they think they could just stroll into Marvel and do a training run?
It’s frustrating that they have to be told to increase the pressure.

Did they think they could just stroll into Marvel and do a training run?
At least they were able to lift it....

After all the talk from the club last week about improving defensive structures etc it was pretty disappointing to allow North their 2nd highest score for the year.

Not much looked to have changed, I think we lose that game if we were playing any other team in the comp. We're in a bit of trouble imo :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All is not going well when Sam Durdin is getting a game. Just a mile off the level of AFL.

Gov back next week hopefully. Our most important player.

Great to see Motlop back. Lethal.

So many injury worries out of the game though and form!! What happened to it?

We were building into the season so we'll 4 weeks ago. Now battling to a win against North. And just playing sloppy football.

A few weeks to turn it around but another loss could prove catastrophic... we'd get smashed by the Hawks on today's form.
In saying that Norths last 7 weeks have been reasonable. Apart from the blowout against Sydney they have been within 2 goals in each game including a 1 point and 2 point loss.

Kemps marking is one of his strengths. He’s a very good mark.

I didn’t watch first half but in the second half I hardly saw durdin…which is sad because there is an opportunity there for a tall KPD.
I would have played kemp and Durdin simply for flexibility .. we get an injury we can atleast swing kemp forward , in the ruck for 5 etc and i don’t mind that Voss played Durdin .. gotta see what e has got. Also. Feel the knock on kemp isn’t his marking . It’s when he goes for a mark and should be punching it

Good teams win ugly. We were challenged and rose to the challenge. Plenty of curve balls thrown our way yesterday via in game injuries. We were able to put these to one side and win.

North dictated to us in the first half. They seemed to have ascendancy in clearances early days. Too many times our D50 was at sixes and sevens with defenders not on their direct opponent to at least provide a decent defensive contest. This was the case even when North didn't move the ball all that quickly. Second half, our pressure and intensity lift and not surprisingly we gain ascendancy. This was encouraging. It should be well and truly clear to the players what wins us games. It's a matter of us doing it for longer in a match.

Adam Cerra was abominable early. Walshy is struggling to have positive impact. Sam Durdin looked like he was struggling physically so not including Kempy as well left us vunerable. Better effort from Cotts but still needs more urgency. Ollie was better but some of his skill execution was way off.

TDK was great given he was performing under duress. George Hewett kept us in it in the first half and cracked in all game. Crippa very solid. Good game from Lachie Fogarty. Saad very solid. Good return from Mots. Owies was Owies. Harry and Charlie did their thing. Newman solid except for one interesting handball.

Hopefully this is the start of better form. A week of R and R required this week to be ready to go on Friday. Hopefully most of the guys with niggles get to the line.

As a solo performance, no.
But we seemed to have a better team defense today.
I can only think that the reason why Kemp keeps getting dropped is because he doesn't help set things up when the ball is coming back. Pure conjecture on my end but he doesn't play poorly enough in other areas to justify it.
So did he do much more himself vs Kemp? No. But we set up much better down the ground today I felt. Was that due to the absence of Kemp/ inclusion of Durdin? No idea.

If letting in 88 points against the 17th tanked side is having a better team defence then its a concern, i still saw the same issues yesterday, that I’ve seen most of the year, so many times it looked like North had extra players on the ground.

I know its only a few examples but i saw a few times Durdin totally lost at sea with who his man was and i even saw Weitering go off his tree at the other defenders when it was him who zoned off Larkey by 15M, then couldn’t get back to cover him.

I thought once again our back 6 were thrown to the wolves by poor stoppage set up’s up the ground.

I am the world's biggest Weitering fan, but thought he was very ordinary today.

Couldn't get his positioning right and wasn't his usual intercepting threat.

Hasn't been right since he hurt his leg recently.

I really thought Weits issue yesterday was that, he was trying to play on Larkey but also trying to be the intercepting defender, lots of times i saw him zone off to intercept, allowing Larkey an easy run at the ball.

Players thrive when they can trust their teammates to do a job, like Cripps at stages, Weitering was trying to do to much because he was the only capable defender.

Cottrell regained some form - 19 disp, 5 tackles, 5 score involvements

Puts paid to some of the ridiculous criticisms this week claiming he's only good for running back and forth and doing nothing.
My criticism was that he should never have come straight back in with out a couple of games in the VFL, he is not at that level yet. Same with Cerra who got absolutely smashed in the first half but redeemed himself in the 2nd and Cerra is a level above Cottrell.

We know what Cottrell is capable of, but he has to bring that game every week. More impact yesterday than the combined last 2 weeks

Tagline for this game was "need for speed"... we looked scarily slow. LDU even ran faster than Walsh and couldn't be caught by him (Walsh).
Imo Walsh has to be moved to a wing. He tries hard but he just doesn’t have the power/strength for a midfield. Cerra is not much better.

I think the midfield needs a fix this offseason. One power/burst mid should fix it. Rotate Cerra/walsh through mid/wing/bench.

Good to get the W, but we're in a real slump.

I think we still struggle with expectation to be honest.

Start of the year there was expectation on us, we coasted to some wins but hardly set the world on fire - dare I say even got lucky once or twice - eg Freo game.

Then by the time we got belted by Sydney and dropped out of the 8, we were off everyone's radar and rallied. Almost as soon as we got clear on 2nd & the flag fancy talk started, we've looked shaky again.

Remember last year we were at our best and winning finals because nobody expected us to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 19 Blues survive a Kangaroo scare

Back