Autopsy 2024 Rd 19 Blues survive a Kangaroo scare

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Roos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

TDK was instrumental in getting us back into the game in the 3rd. Clearly him being off for a prolonged time in the 2nd effected our structure. God I hate how the ruck contests are being umpired to swing the balance in favour of the maulers rather than the jumpers, who run past the ball, blocking and then get taps at waist level. The Simon Madden style ruck work used to be a thing of beauty.
Totally agree with the ruck contests, I just don't understand the calls. TDK and Pittto both get killed with these calls, I can understand Cripps and Kennedy giving away kicks, but our full time ruck men get the rough end of the pineapple weekly

It was 21 scoring shots according to afl.com.au, from 56 I50 entries, which is slightly better than our 53.

However you want to cut it, we conceded 88 points against the 17th ranked side, we have let through over 300 points the last 3 games and we are 15th for points against.
Well there is context. Their expected score was 68. However you want to take that

Only gave up 18 scoring shots, and they kicked 7.1 from set shots outside 45 metres. That’s freakiest conversion. They were pulling goals out of their backsides as times

Was lamenting how accurate they were all night And then they missed their easiest shot of the night in the last quarter from 5 metres out…weird times

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Think back to anytime you remember a 19 year old Carlton player having 35 possessions and kicking 2 goals and then think how dumb you would think any opposition supporter would be for calling the game overrated and describing the praise as fluff.

The kids a freak

Paddy Dow would have 16 & a goal and he'd get compared to Dangerfield on here.

Agree, I commented during game (watching TV) many times they deliberately rode our guys into the ground after marking , way overboard, knees and elbow into back ribs etc. saw at least 5-6 without looking for it or replays. Suspect it was a tactic from coach, to injure. Hardly surprising.

Was yelling (at TV) for umps to pay a 50 for it several times
Clarko is an absolute pig!

It was 21 scoring shots according to afl.com.au, from 56 I50 entries, which is slightly better than our 53.

However you want to cut it, we conceded 88 points against the 17th ranked side, we have let through over 300 points the last 3 games and we are 15th for points against.
This. Hamill needs to think about structure here. Mids aren't bathing themselves in glory either.

Re affirms my position, that we are too easy to score against, allow teams easy exits from stoppage and pout our back 6 under enormous pressure.

Expected score is the score they would be expected to finish with based on their shots on goal, not a pregame prediction.

Expected score = 68
Actual score = 88

Takeaway is that they were uncharacteristically accurate.

Oddly enough....they're actually, statistically, the most accurate team in the comp when kicking for goal at 56.6%. They also average about 19 shots on goal a game, so allowing them 21 isn't much of an outlier.

We had a few less shots on goal than normal (27 down from ~29), they had a couple more shots on goal (21 up from ~19), we kicked at 59% (up on our average of 55%), they went at 66% (up on their average of 56%). They average 11 goals, 7 behinds, they kicked 14.4.

It wasn't pretty, but we hardly let them have their way with us. They kicked straighter than normal, and we took a half to find our mojo, then eased off in the last probably due to a combination of fatigue and injury concerns...and still won by 3 goals.

I'd have loved a big 60pt win for percentage, but I'll take a win and hopefully no long term injuries to key players 6 weeks out from finals.

Just need to build back to our best from here, manage a few players where we can, keep notching the wins (3+ the requirement, the + potentially being an important factor in where we play finals), and peak as we come into the last couple of rounds before carrying that momentum into September.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think back to anytime you remember a 19 year old Carlton player having 35 possessions and kicking 2 goals and then think how dumb you would think any opposition supporter would be for calling the game overrated and describing the praise as fluff.

The kids a freak
Absolutely, he's a ****ing gun. That was a bad take.

GTDGHtRbIAAyZRl

Ooof. No TDK until finals hurts, was so important for us in turning things around the 2nd half yesterday even on one leg.

Cats aren’t the worry happy for them to finish top 4 and play them,the problems are the interstate sides which more than likely will finish around or top of us.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep, top 4 isn't quite what its cracked up to be this year considering all the teams that will likely fill those spots, as a vic side you'd really need to be top 2.

Four points is four points. We have a great chance of snatching a top four place at the very least.

There's plenty of improvement in us. We are in a good place here. The Roos have shown some great improvement in recent weeks as well.

Last edited:
Totally agree with the ruck contests, I just don't understand the calls. TDK and Pittto both get killed with these calls, I can understand Cripps and Kennedy giving away kicks, but our full time ruck men get the rough end of the pineapple weekly
Not sure if the stats are available, but we MUST give away the most ruck infringements of any team. Seems to be a minimum of 3-4 every single game.

I am the world's biggest Weitering fan, but thought he was very ordinary today.

Couldn't get his positioning right and wasn't his usual intercepting threat.

Hasn't been right since he hurt his leg recently.
Thought the same. I wasn’t at the game so didn’t get the broader field view, but he lacked composure at times and seemed frustrated (having a go at the defensive grouping when he seemed to be at fault).

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 19 Blues survive a Kangaroo scare

Back