Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Who played well for the Blues in Round 21 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope Hogan kicks a bag tomorrow. I feel like a 3rd straight AA gig for Charlie, would be a little bit by default.
I always hope our guys win everything so I don't hope the same. I hope Cripps wins a Brownlow (even in a loss I think he's a chance of 3 tonight, was enourmous), and Charlie wins Coleman.

Having said that, this does feel like his least impactful year of the 3 (should he win it). It feels like he's just gone 2, 3 or 4 every week. He hasn't had the big 6 or 7 goal match winners like he did in years gone. Watching Hogan for example you can see the 50 revolves around him, it's not the same with Charlie this season.

Further to the above, I think Harry has gone under the radar with his poor form. He's looked good in the ruck but has been equally ineffective inside 50 lately.

We had 7 players in the top 10 for disposals. We had 4 players with 30+ touches. We know how to get the ball, but we do not know how to use it well.

Tale as old as time really...

Add to that our inability to run and link up - instead opting for a long kick down the line at basically every opportunity.

Hardly anyone bothers to make a genuine effort to run into space. Then when they do - it's a half-hearted jog with a Pie on their backside, which just clogs up space.

It's very, very easy to defend against our ball movement.

Depends what streak you are talking about.

His streak of staging for frees, not tackling and trying to get cheap kicks out the back is still very much alive.
One of the worst takes and worst melts I’ve read here. I get as frustrated as anyone that he always wrestles and never leads but he was running everywhere today and has been doing cameos in the backline to stop momentum all year.
If you want to complain then complain about him not leading, but not getting ‘the easy cheap ones out the back’ which actually means he’s playing tall and small, the same thing we praised and will build a statue for Eddie betts for.

The irony of adding a turnover based game plan for when our pure pressure based game plan wasn't working but somehow turning the ball over constantly is something.

Layers are meant to be gears, choose the right option for the opponent, the match, the phase of the quarter.

Maybe our players only have the capacity for one plan? Maybe our coaches can't enumerate multiple strategies?

Pittonet finished with 0 marks and 0 tackles. Not sure how this is even possible as a number one ruck.
This has to be what we expect though.
It’s been well documented he can’t take marks
0 tackles last week
0 tackles this week

He was serviceable/a decent ruck last year. How the hell has he dropped off so quickly. Far out it’s bad. How many rucks move each year? And this is what we have as back up.
As others have said. Play someone undersized that competes at least.
Not the only reason we lost
Wouldn’t mind the fwds actually kicking a goal ffs

They should be embarrassed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest issue in the side and we constantly fail to address it.
It has been for the last 3 yrs, more even, but we do nothing about it. It's so frustrating to watch in real time the same things happen over and over and over, year after year.

It's ok, though, the coach likes the effort

Unpopular opinion incoming!
Walsh's disposal over the last couple of months has gone seriously AWOL.
Even when we were winning he was liable to making unforced errors.
Is he carrying a worse back injury than we are being told? His disposal is usually pretty good but if you take the blue glasses off for a minute and look at all aspects of our game, it's definitely something I've noticed.
Not saying it's costing us games by any means but it's certainly alarming.
I might be wrong stat wise but I have personally noticed that the opposition has started spending less time on Cripps outside the stoppage and putting more time into Walsh to restrict the one two punch. It’s hurt both their games in the last few weeks from where they were a month ago.

The real question is why?

WHY?!!!

WHY THE **** DO WE ALWAYS LOSE TO THESE ****S?!!

We look better on paper. We have better bookends. Players with greater potential and greater ceiling. Not to mention they're at the prime age.

Yet for some reason, we always crumble against these (for the most part, geriatric) buggers. They always have us by the balls. We're basically their *****!

It ticks me off. While I hate Essendon more, this team is fast taking the throne because I am sick of it, we can never beat them when it matters.

The record is ridiculous. The head to head ledger has turned well and truly in their favour.

Whenever they are crap, we find a way to be crapper against them?

Sorry for the melt. But it baffles me how much this team can wet themselves against the arch rival.

I always hope our guys win everything so I don't hope the same. I hope Cripps wins a Brownlow (even in a loss I think he's a chance of 3 tonight, was enourmous), and Charlie wins Coleman.

Having said that, this does feel like his least impactful year of the 3 (should he win it). It feels like he's just gone 2, 3 or 4 every week. He hasn't had the big 6 or 7 goal match winners like he did in years gone. Watching Hogan for example you can see the 50 revolves around him, it's not the same with Charlie this season.

Further to the above, I think Harry has gone under the radar with his poor form. He's looked good in the ruck but has been equally ineffective inside 50 lately.

Cripps deserves another Brownlow for this season. He might get hurt by the losses piling up. A lot of Charlie's goals this year have come in a one quarter rush and he hasn't even been dangerous for the rest of the night.

I'm getting a lot of disagreement for my post, but if I was to try to be neutral, I don't necessarily think he has been the best forward in the comp this season, and I don't want him to think that getting an AA for it is the benchmark.

Or maybe he is the best forward, but he is only half as good as he is capable of being so it feels hollow to me.

Given all the results, certainly are discovering form is really a thing in football

Get consistency back in our game then we will have a run like last year, only timed a little better hopefully

Cripps deserves another Brownlow for this season. He might get hurt by the losses piling up. A lot of Charlie's goals this year have come in a one quarter rush and he hasn't even been dangerous for the rest of the night.

Or maybe he is the best forward, but he is only half as good as he is capable of being so it feels hollow to me.

Exactly how I see it too

I'm getting a lot of disagreement for my post, but if I was to try to be neutral, I don't necessarily think he has been the best forward in the comp this season, and I don't want him to think that getting an AA for it is the benchmark.

Got today, of our a graders, Charlie and Walsh have really underwhelmed me this year.

Wrapped with big H tho, while Crippa and weiters have just continued on

Think we lost this in the 1st quarter, kicked badly, due to having so many shots from long distance, that's selfish footy for me

Next 2 quarters, played with fear of not wanting to lose, rather than playing to win

Last quarter, it was back to playing the game on merit, too little too late

Plenty of selfish play prior to the last, hope the penny drops and things start to turn
Elijah burned a goal by not passing it off to a safer option but i forgave him when you could see (and was saying) that he knew it was a **** up.

It was selfish footy yes but I think we were selfish because everyone thought the needed to get a goal to ignite the momentum and burn off the team yips

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the thing for me. These aren't new concerns, we've known about them forever, but we never do anything about it.

Only speed we draft is speculative 3rd and 4th round picks

Think Ollie will be a decent player, but had others ahead of him in his draft, same with Binns and Cowan

Think Cowan has better speed than both

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Back