2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Feels like an extra hard year for mids, or maybe just recency bias. Feel like there is going to be at least one bloke who has been absolutely elite missing out. There's just not enough spots for Gulden, Bont, Merrett, Cripps, Sheezel, Neale, Serong, Warner, Heeney, Naicos and Treloar to all fit (sorry for forgetting your teams guy), yet alone the rung underneath. Might see a bit more "mid squeezing" than normal

B - Blakey, Weitering, Vlastuin
HB - Holmes, Andrews, Zorko
C - Gulden, Cripps, Treloar
HF - Warner, Curnow, Moore
F - Waterman, Hogan, Stengle
Foll - Gawn, Bontempelli, Merrett
Inter - Heeney, Neale, Daicos, Sheezel

Serong, Butters & Clark really stiff.

I don't actually think Vlastuin deserves a spot on performance. But back pocket is hard to fill in AA, and among general defenders he's currently 1st for intercepts, 3rd for intercept marks, 6th for rebounds, and has the 5th best 1v1 loss rate (20 or more contests).

If no one else puts their hand up, I reckon they will either name another rebounder in the back pocket, or give it to Vlastuin as a legacy piece. If you're talking pure back pocket stopper, Idun's numbers are amazing.
Toby Greene ahead of Stengle based on goals plus assists.

B - Blakey, Weitering, Vlastuin
HB - Holmes, Andrews, Zorko
C - Gulden, Cripps, Treloar
HF - Warner, Curnow, Moore
F - Waterman, Hogan, Stengle
Foll - Gawn, Bontempelli, Merrett
Inter - Heeney, Neale, Daicos, Sheezel

Serong, Butters & Clark really stiff.

I don't actually think Vlastuin deserves a spot on performance. But back pocket is hard to fill in AA, and among general defenders he's currently 1st for intercepts, 3rd for intercept marks, 6th for rebounds, and has the 5th best 1v1 loss rate (20 or more contests).

If no one else puts their hand up, I reckon they will either name another rebounder in the back pocket, or give it to Vlastuin as a legacy piece. If you're talking pure back pocket stopper, Idun's numbers are amazing.
I probably shouldn’t say it for reasons of bias …. But Conor Idun has had a better year than Vlastuin

Feels like an extra hard year for mids, or maybe just recency bias. Feel like there is going to be at least one bloke who has been absolutely elite missing out. There's just not enough spots for Gulden, Bont, Merrett, Cripps, Sheezel, Neale, Serong, Warner, Heeney, Naicos and Treloar to all fit (sorry for forgetting your teams guy), yet alone the rung underneath. Might see a bit more "mid squeezing" than normal
Yep, almost a guarantee that Bont and/or Warner will be put on a HFF and also Sheezel and/or Daicos on HBF to fit more mids in the side.

The way Kornes pumps us Dylan Moore at every opportunity I think he’s a lock to be in the side.

Sebba rover
Ryan back pocket
Clark back flank
Treacy squad
Love Ryan but I think he’s squad but not in the 22. I don’t watch enough of other teams but I know he’s not playing to the level he did in 2020 when he made the team.

But I am fully behind Clark in the flank - he’s absolutely key to our game and week after week is in our best 3-5 players.

Serong is a given and Treacy’s time will come - but hard to make a case ahead of Curnow, Hogan and King

Love Ryan but I think he’s squad but not in the 22. I don’t watch enough of other teams but I know he’s not playing to the level he did in 2020 when he made the team.

But I am fully behind Clark in the flank - he’s absolutely key to our game and week after week is in our best 3-5 players.

Serong is a given and Treacy’s time will come - but hard to make a case ahead of Curnow, Hogan and King
King shouldn't be close. Kicks goals but does absolutely nothing else for the team. 7 touches a game, poor score involvements, very limited around the ground. The new Ben Brown.

McKay, Daniher and Waterman been much better than him imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming from a long way back?? He's been elite all season.
Where is he in coaches votes this year? He's competing with Heeney, Cripps, Neale, Merrett, Serong, Warner, Gulden, Bontempelli, Daicos etc. They have had more influence on games over the course of the whole season and play in better performing teams.

Sheezel was playing kick to kick in the backline ala Luke Ryan for the first half of the year and it was only when he got moved into the midfield did he start really having a big influence on games.

I'm not saying he's not playing AA football right now, he's an absolute gun... But when the team is as competitive as it, the minor details come into play and the fact is those mentioned above have been doing it all year while Sheezel has really only got going in the last 6-7 weeks.

Where is he in coaches votes this year? He's competing with Heeney, Cripps, Neale, Merrett, Serong, Warner, Gulden, Bontempelli, Daicos etc. They have had more influence on games over the course of the whole season and play in better performing teams.

Sheezel was playing kick to kick in the backline ala Luke Ryan for the first half of the year and it was only when he got moved into the midfield did he start really having a big influence on games.

I'm not saying he's not playing AA football right now, he's an absolute gun... But when the team is as competitive as it, the minor details come into play and the fact is those mentioned above have been doing it all year while Sheezel has really only got going in the last 6-7 weeks.
The point was he was he should have been in contention for a hbf spot in the first half of the season

I like what you did there with the 9 mids you mentioned.

Purposely put the best of the lot last.

The point was he was he should have been in contention for a hbf spot in the first half of the season
Once again, where is the data to support he was impacting games at an AA level at half back? Aaron Hall was the king of seagulls back in the day for u guys, pumped out massive super coach scores week after week, but nobody really mentioned him as an AA player because he really wasn't impacting games a whole lot.

Coaches votes is a pretty fantastic measure of a players impact on games, Sheezels not in the top 20 as it stands right now. That's because in the first half of the year he was having a truckload of disposals, but not having a large impact on games.

As I said, I wouldn't be shocked if he missed... Certainly wouldn't be up in arms about it if he made the team either. He's a gun and will be in plenty of AA teams in the future.

Stengle will be in contention again. He's tracking almost exactly the same as he was in 2022, and up to 37 goals now.
More than just stats, he is simply the small forward with the most highlights and game changing moments. Has saved Geelong's bacon in a number of games this year. If it goes in his area you expect him to work his magic and have a classy involvement (often a nice finish). Out marks taller defenders, comes out on top against out numbers etc.

Moore and Stengle are the two small forwards who run the show and impact games week after week.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back