2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a lot more than this to factor in.

Dylan Moore is the better defensive player than the two ahead of him - both in terms of tackles and pressure acts, he's the better ball user, he's second to Toby in terms of overall team score involvement % and he's doing it in a forward line where he's competing with Connor Macdonald, Jack Ginnivan, Nick Watson and at times Luke Breust. That means that both Stengle and Greene are the more targeted players and get more opportunities. He's also higher rated by Champion Data for whatever that's worth.

In terms of me being a bit biased, I also think he's harder working than both and pops up in important moments as well as Greene, definitely better than Stengle.
As far as Stengle vs Moore one is an up the ground forward flanker, while one is more of a stay at home forward pocket. Their stats reflect their different roles. But with small forwards I think you should look past pure stats. Stengle is easily the most deadly crumbing forward pocket in the league, while Moore is the best creative link man (who still scores plenty of goals).

We've been brain washed into thinking they must compete for the same spot, when any high functioning team would have both: Moore on the HFF, and Stengle in the FP. But of course AA sides "need" 3 midfielders taking spots in the forward line and almost every spot on the bench.

Imagine if instead we actually picked the best 6 or 7 forwards in the league, in a way that would make the most damaging forward line possible.

As far as Stengle vs Moore one is an up the ground forward flanker, while one is more of a stay at home forward pocket. Their stats reflect their different roles. But with small forwards I think you should look past pure stats. Stengle is easily the most deadly crumbing forward pocket in the league, while Moore is the best creative link man (who still scores plenty of goals).

We've been brain washed into thinking they must compete for the same spot, when any high functioning team would have both: Moore on the HFF, and Stengle in the FP.

Absolute bingo. Stengle is a forward pocket and should be the first picked there and Moore has been briliant as a HFF. He'd played games in the middle as well as forward for the Hawks. Both should be picked.

We've been brain washed into thinking they must compete for the same spot, when any high functioning team would have both: Moore on the HFF, and Stengle in the FP.
I agree with you actually.

I think the reality is, though, that I know the AA selectors are going to pick some combination of mids like Chad Warner / Marcus Bontempelli for the HFF spots and that it will boil down to Stengle vs Moore even though it absolutely shouldn't.

I actually agree, have Warner on the bench myself, Bont forward for mine, and I'd be okay with him on the HFF. Moore is ahead of Rankine personally as Rankine has missed a few games, but that could change, I'd prefer both picked but you are right they will pick 1.
When I drew up my AA team a couple rounds ago. I had Moore on the INT but that’s probably changed as Rankine has missed a few games. I’d still have both in my team tbh. I’m not a believer in flooding the INT with on ballers

When I drew up my AA team a couple rounds ago. I had Moore on the INT but that’s probably changed as Rankine has missed a few games. I’d still have both in my team tbh. I’m not a believer in flooding the INT with on ballers

Yeah I agree, I did like last year them picking Larkey on the bench. Personally and I know they won't, I'd have the next best defender, next best forward, next ruck and next midfielder as your bench. Too often it's pick 3+ onballers. Can they stop the you know what this is a team to play a game, it hasn't been for years otherwise this year a tagger will be picked (they are back), a small defender (maybe Newman might?) and genuine half forwards would.

What a massive melt.

It's not a big difference, you're right. However the fact is, ever since I've listed the stat, the two or three key forward spots and the one or two small forward spots, with 2022 being the exception, have gone to the key forwards leading the stat and the small forwards leading the stat.

Dewy the new blaisee.
You are missing the point. Just because it has been the case doesn’t mean it always will be, it’s a good indicator but in this case other metrics are showing more so need to be used on top of it.

The fact also is that this season is the definition of an outlier with record breaking evenness through the competition.

Yeah I agree, I did like last year them picking Larkey on the bench. Personally and I know they won't, I'd have the next best defender, next best forward, next ruck and next midfielder as your bench. Too often it's pick 3+ onballers. Can they stop the you know what this is a team to play a game, it hasn't been for years otherwise this year a tagger will be picked (they are back), a small defender (maybe Newman might?) and genuine half forwards would.
I really like that idea of an interchange but I can almost guarantee it will be flooded with mids like most years.

Gonna sound like a nerd: but I have my own Brownlow predictor going atm and would have the likes of Noah Anderson and Serong definitely on the INT

You are missing the point. Just because it has been the case doesn’t mean it always will be, it’s a good indicator but in this case other metrics are showing more so need to be used on top of it.

The fact also is that this season is the definition of an outlier with record breaking evenness through the competition.
I'm not missing the point. I'm disagreeing based on half a dozen years of evidence pointing towards that if two small forwards are picked, it'll be Greene and Stengle at this stage.

I really like that idea of an interchange but I can almost guarantee it will be flooded with mids like most years.

Gonna sound like a nerd: but I have my own Brownlow predictor going atm and would have the likes of Noah Anderson and Serong definitely on the INT

That's a LOT of inside mids if you go Anderson as well, maybe it's just me but does he actually do a lot with those possessions, Flanders another gets the ball a bucket for them. Not sure I'd go 3 inside mids (Cripps will be the rover), you probably go 2 with Serong in there somewhere not fussed whether you start or bench him whatever it's fine either way.

I just hate them coming out and saying they are picking a side to play a game when they never have picked it this way.

I'm not missing the point. I'm disagreeing based on half a dozen years of evidence pointing towards that if two small forwards are picked, it'll be Greene and Stengle at this stage.
Two stats combined = clearly in the side.

The fact is, it’s a good indicator hence the track record, but it isn’t the main reason why x player is in the side. Football is more than just goals and goal assists for forwards, especially if it’s a close comparison (43-39 or so for those in competition for spots). With clear other metrics to use to separate the players, defensively, ball winning through the middle and up the ground etc

Again, a good indicator that isn’t the reason for selection and it doesn’t diminish the other metrics

For players over 10 games he is 52nd for Goal Assists per I50.

Now tell me where he sits for those who average over 3 x I50 per game?

Richards, JHF and Sheezel are the most damaging users going inside 50 in the comp who aren't a statistical outlier.

Sheezel has kicked a grand total of 8 goals in 2024

Since he was shifted forwards, he has managed to kick bags of 1, 1, 2, 2, 1

The All Australian selectors have made some strange choices over the years, but I reckon they'll steer clear of a "forward" who is currently 130th in the Coleman Medal race.

I'm not saying Sheezel isn't worthy of a spot in the squad. I just can't see him being named as one of the forwards.

It's just a hunch, mind you. :D:thumbsu:

Like it or not, he meets the 400 minute forward criteria and certainly will meet the 800 minute criteria by the end of the year given he is running a 50/50 split these days.

Like they have with other years when picking the key forwards, they will factor in goal, assists and score involvements into it.

Sheezel may end up averaging a goal a game anyway by the end of the year.

He's averaging 7 disposals a game more than Moore as a half forward in the same role, is going over a goal a game, is matching Gulden and Daicos' goal assist rates and 5.5+ score involvements per game.

Champion Data have him the #5 player in the league at the moment. Rankine is really the only one in the conversation in the current role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moore should be in the side though, and he's actually a HFF, he's been the best HFF of the season. No issue with Warner on the other one albeit I don't love it. I'm realistic they will plonk 1 of them forward- I hate this notion though. Rankine for Langford is a fairly easy swap. Can we just not put Heeney forward when he's not playing there, his goals in general are playing as a mid and pushing forward. I just hate this notion where it's lets plonk 16 mids into a side, they talk about picking the side for an actual game and have midfielders forward, no side would go in with two mids forward at the centre bounce.

I'd also like a small defender picked personally but realistically it probably doesn't happen.

Fact of the matter is, Warner spends 35% of his time on the ground playing in the forward line.

He qualifies as a fwd.

When you went back and reviewed the stats from previous years, did you exclude finals?
Now tell me where he sits for those who average over 3 x I50 per game?

Richards, JHF and Sheezel are the most damaging users going inside 50 in the comp who aren't a statistical outlier.
Just humouring you and your constantly shifting goal posts, he is 5th - behind Brent Daniels, Aaron Naughton, Christian Petracca, Gryan Miers.

He has a goal assist in 53/200 Inside 50s, positively MILES ahead of Moore who is sitting at 50/200.

When you went back and reviewed the stats from previous years, did you exclude finals?

Just humouring you and your constantly shifting goal posts, he is 5th - behind Brent Daniels, Aaron Naughton, Christian Petracca, Gryan Miers.

He has a goal assist in 53/200 Inside 50s, positively MILES ahead of Moore who is sitting at 50/200.

Im assessing the data since he's been a half forward.

The fact he's still ahead of Moore when he's been a back pocket in half the data you are looking at, should tell you how far ahead of the other half forwards he is atm (Rankine is lifting in recent weeks)

Last edited:
They will pick both it really shouldn't matter where. Cripps will be the rover and likely the captain as he's led a side to a top 2 finish (likely)
Nothing to do with top two more the colour of his guernsey.
The other year blues had 5 in squad 3 in the 18 they didn’t play finals that’s more than freo has ever got.
Freo have a top 2 defence and it’s system not stars.
Blues have a top 2 offensive and it’s stars not system.
Last year I was told Sebba stat paddles his metres gained is no good.
He has overs 1km more than Cripps to date but that’s irrelevant this year.
I can’t keep up obviously.

Im assessing the data since he's been a half forward.

The fact he's still ahead of Moore when he's been a back pocket in half the data you are looking at, should tell you a lot.
What are you talking about? It's based on goal assists per I50, how long he's been playing (occasionally) as a forward doesn't impact it at all.

If you want to go by just the last 5 matches, I hate to break it to you but Dylan Moore is actually ahead with 8 goal assists per 20 entries to 7 per 20 for Sheezel.

The other year blues had 5 in squad 3 in the 18 they didn’t play finals that’s more than freo has ever got.
Cripps - More contested possies, more score involvements, more goals, more score launches.

He's more impactful with his touches

Fact of the matter is, Warner spends 35% of his time on the ground playing in the forward line.

He qualifies as a fwd.

Less of an issue with Warner being picked there- just don’t pick Heeney there he hasn’t played there all season

Cripps has been better albeit slightly who really cares when both are in the side? Cripps will be the rover and the captain unless they reward Bont with it not fussed either way there the captain position is always a laugh lol

I don't think Heeney qualifies.

Agree that’s what I’ve said- he’s a midfielder now. Said for 2 months pick him there don’t plonk him FWD just because he played there a year ago.

Warner and Bont would qualify as forwards so would Petracca (unavailable now)

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back