2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Dylan Moore just has to be AA this season.

Vs West Coast

29 disposals 16 kicks 12 marks 86%
2 goals 3 goal assists 11 score involvements
6 inside 50s

Averages
18.8 disposals
1.6 goals
1.0 goal assists
6.6 score involvements
3.6 tackles

Stengle averages

13.7 disposals
2.1 goals
0.8 goal assists
6.1 score involvements
2 tackles

Vs Essendon
10 disposals 3 goals 1 goal assist 5 score involvements

Rankine averages
19.3 disposals

2.0 goals
1.0 goal assists
6.0 score involvements
3.6 tackles

Vs GWS

27 disposals 14 contested 20 kicks 7 marks 59%
2 goals 3 behinds 1 goal assist 9 score involvements
6 clearances 8 inside 50s

Rankine and Moore are clearly the two best smalls at this stage, Stengle just behind.

Warner - Curnow - Heeney
Rankine - Waterman - Moore

He isn't one of the best 3 half forwards at the moment, as you left the two best out at the moment according to CD and most of the ranking systems.

If you have listened to enough media the last 4 weeks, it's clear what some of the selection criteria for the half forward positions is and how they will discuss it in the AA meetings.

The cut off criteria at the halfway has been mentioned more than once by different people, including Cornes, as 400 minutes spent playing F50. Which stands to reason that the end of the year would be 800 minutes playing F50. This cut off seems to have been prepared by CD, who obviously provide the analytics packs for the AA selectors.

With an average 80% TOG, that translates to 1/3 of the time you spend on the ground playing forward.

Despite Warners big minutes in midfield, he spent over 400 minutes forward in the first half of the season. If he plays the same splits in the second half of the season, he will be one of the starting HFF's.

Despite Sheezel spending over half of the the first half of the year as a half back, the switch forward saw him accumulate 400 minutes forward in the first half of the season. He's obviously well exceeding that now.

It's pretty clear to me the half forwards will come down to Warner + one of Sheezel/Rankine.

Sheezel and Rankine are pretty clearly miles ahead of Moore and Stengle at the moment.

Last edited:
This small forward race is heating up, Stengle another solid game and probably the most consistent but Rankine has to get a spot if he does not miss any more games, he is a genuine star. Toby Greene stringing a few together as well lately , K Pickett has had a solid year and a few standout game and one guy who won't make it but deserves a mention is Long a bit like Sam Powell Pepper last year his defense has been huge and has hit the scoreboard quite well along the way.
Another fantastic display yesterday of tireless running and high half forward play from Dylan Moore.

29 disposals @ 87% efficiency

2 goals, 3 goal assists
11 score involvements

17.8 ratings points (no.2 behind Jai Newcombe)

I'd expect at least 7 - 8 of the 22 players selected will be from Sydney and Carlton given their poistion out front on the ladder.

Gulden, Heeney, Blakey, Curnow all seem locks at this stage

Warner, Cripps, Walsh, Wietering all high probablity.

Grundy a chance depending on structure.

There's a lot more than this to factor in.

Dylan Moore is the better defensive player than the two ahead of him - both in terms of tackles and pressure acts, he's the better ball user, he's second to Toby in terms of overall team score involvement % and he's doing it in a forward line where he's competing with Connor Macdonald, Jack Ginnivan, Nick Watson and at times Luke Breust. That means that both Stengle and Greene are the more targeted players and get more opportunities. He's also higher rated by Champion Data for whatever that's worth.

In terms of me being a bit biased, I also think he's harder working than both and pops up in important moments as well as Greene, definitely better than Stengle.
Maybe. But since I've recorded this stat from 2019 onwards, every year bar one, the #1 small forward in it has been selected. When there have been 2 selected, it's usually the top 2.

It's pretty clear to me the half forwards will come down to Warner + one of Sheezel/Rankine.

Sheezel and Rankine are pretty clearly miles ahead of Moore and Stengle at the moment.
Sheezel is a great young player but it'd be interesting to see him in the AA team at the HFF. Might be the first half forward selected to have more rebound 50s than inside 50s.

As a pure wingman surely it’s time to start talking about McCluggage

Been a while since McCluggage has played wing really. Wouldn’t be against him in the side though. Gulden has one wing and chook raffle the other one. If the Pies come top 4 watch Josh Daicos be in, Merrett or Clugg out there no issue neither are really wingers though.

Sheezel is a great young player but it'd be interesting to see him in the AA team at the HFF. Might be the first half forward selected to have more rebound 50s than inside 50s.

Unlikely I think by the end of the year.

All the more remarkable he's one of the leading score involvement and goal assist providers in the league for over two months though.

Definitely has by far the highest goal assist per inside 50 ratio going around at the moment.

Been a while since McCluggage has played wing really. Wouldn’t be against him in the side though. Gulden has one wing and chook raffle the other one. If the Pies come top 4 watch Josh Daicos be in, Merrett or Clugg out there no issue neither are really wingers though.
Brisbane inside midfielders Neale Ashcroft Dunkley Berry McCluggage has clearly been playing wing

I'd expect at least 7 - 8 of the 22 players selected will be from Sydney and Carlton given their poistion out front on the ladder.

Gulden, Heeney, Blakey, Curnow all seem locks at this stage

Warner, Cripps, Walsh, Wietering all high probablity.

Grundy a chance depending on structure.
Really last season wasn’t like that Brisbane Collingwood seriously screwed over last season I mean Port had 3 in the team

Brisbane inside midfielders Neale Ashcroft Dunkley Berry McCluggage has clearly been playing wing

A little bit he’s more a Merrett type he’s missed out before so if they pick him this year it is fine. There aren’t many real true wings that are worth AA anyway. Clugg should already have 2+ jumpers

Unlikely I think by the end of the year.

All the more remarkable he's one of the leading score involvement and goal assist providers in the league for over two months though.

Definitely has by far the highest goal assist per inside 50 ratio going around at the moment.
For players over 10 games he is 52nd for Goal Assists per I50.

Its been a shift back wider again the past month or so. McCluggage swapped with Berry going inside and seems to have been part of our better form recently.

Im not sure McCluggage makes it (he's not in at the moment), but if he stays out wide and keeps playing like this, and we have a hot finish to the year he might be able to sneak onto a wing. Assuming they dont overload it with inside mids again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tysn
Sheezel has kicked a grand total of 8 goals in 2024

Since he was shifted forwards, he has managed to kick bags of 1, 1, 2, 2, 1

The All Australian selectors have made some strange choices over the years, but I reckon they'll steer clear of a "forward" who is currently 130th in the Coleman Medal race.

I'm not saying Sheezel isn't worthy of a spot in the squad. I just can't see him being named as one of the forwards.

It's just a hunch, mind you. :D:thumbsu:

Its been a shift back wider again the past month or so. McCluggage swapped with Berry going inside and seems to have been part of our better form recently.

Im not sure McCluggage makes it (he's not in at the moment), but if he stays out wide and keeps playing like this, and we have a hot finish to the year he might be able to sneak onto a wing. Assuming they dont overload it with inside mids again

That I agree with, in a weird way he like Weitering deserves it on past years more than this year, but it's hardly a howler so no issue

B:HoustonWeiteringBlakey
HB:FlandersAndrewsWhitfield
C:KellyCripps (C)Gulden
HF:HeeneyKingWarner
F:StengleCurnowLangford
R:GawnBontempelliN. Daicos
INT:SerongDe KoningMerrett
Waterman
SUB:Treloar
How come people always reserve 6 places in the starting 18 for the backmen, but they only select 4 forwards ? (Quite often: 3 key forwards and only 1 small forward)

Every year, this occurs. Never really understood why. It's why we end up with shit trucks like Darcy Byrne-Jones with All Australian honours, or guys like Enright and Stewart end their careers with 5 or 6 blazers, while the gun half forwards and small forwards miss out on selection.

I don't think Whitfield has had an All-Australian season. Maybe if you were picking a SuperCoach AA team, he would be a candidate. But I think your team would be better if you picked ONE of Houston, Flanders or Whitfield instead of the 3 of them.

Last edited:
How come people always reserve 6 places in the starting 18 for the backmen, but they only select 4 forwards ?

I don't t think Whitfield has had an All-Australian season. Maybe if you were picking a SuperCoach AA team, he would be a candidate. But I think your team would be better if you picked ONE of Houston, Flanders or Whitfield instead of the 3 of them.
I think it's fair to name Warner and Heeney on the half-forward flanks. It's an accurate representation of the position they play in games IMO.

It was a toss up between Ryan and one of Houston/Flanders/Whitfield. Personally I think Whitfield has been great. First out of that group would probably Houston.

How come people always reserve 6 places in the starting 18 for the backmen, but they only select 4 forwards ? (Quite often: 3 key forwards and only 1 small forward)

Every year, this occurs. Never really understood why. It's why we end up with shit trucks like Darcy Byrne-Jones with All Australian honours, or guys like Enright and Stewart end their careers with 5 or 6 blazers, while the gun half forwards and small forwards miss out on selection.

I don't think Whitfield has had an All-Australian season. Maybe if you were picking a SuperCoach AA team, he would be a candidate. But I think your team would be better if you picked ONE of Houston, Flanders or Whitfield instead of the 3 of them.

Whitfield was a certainty in let’s say round 10, he’s utterly no hope now. Been utterly woeful every game since bar last week. Cannot possibly be in the side now.

I think it's fair to name Warner and Heeney on the half-forward flanks. It's an accurate representation of the position they play in games IMO.

It was a toss up between Ryan and one of Houston/Flanders/Whitfield. Personally I think Whitfield has been great. First out of that group would probably Houston.

Do tell how many games Heeney has played forward this year….quick tip zilch none. Bont has played more. Warner sure (plenty of games forward) but this ridiculous idea of plonking mids forward is ridiculous. How about we actually pick an actual half forward and reward them. If you want that extra nod you have 4 slots on the bench

Remove this Banner Ad

Back