2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree that’s what I’ve said- he’s a midfielder now. Said for 2 months pick him there don’t plonk him FWD just because he played there a year ago.

Warner and Bont would qualify as forwards so would Petracca (unavailable now)

If a player plays 800 minutes for the season (Roughly 33% of their game time) as a forward, they qualify.

So in a team that’s scored 250 pts more Cripps has 3 more score inv for the season

More goals too whether you like it or not it’s a factor that’s considered. When they basically are the same inside it’s whatever let’s be real, they will look at inside 50’s, score involvements and goals. You’d have to admit Serong is a fair bit behind on the last two especially.

If a player plays 800 minutes for the season (Roughly 33% of their game time) as a forward, they qualify.

100%, I just wish it wasn’t let’s plonk 16 mids in the side and then claim it’s a “real” time like they do every year.

More goals too whether you like it or not it’s a factor that’s considered. When they basically are the same inside it’s whatever let’s be real, they will look at inside 50’s, score involvements and goals. You’d have to admit Serong is a fair bit behind on the last two especially.
His 3 behind in a team that’s had scored 250 pts less.
He has had nearly 50 less cba because freo score less.
The clearance king is in the guts

As a rover shouldn’t they look at rebound 50s intercepts and ground ball gets as well??

Two stats combined = clearly in the side.

The fact is, it’s a good indicator hence the track record, but it isn’t the main reason why x player is in the side. Football is more than just goals and goal assists for forwards, especially if it’s a close comparison (43-39 or so for those in competition for spots). With clear other metrics to use to separate the players, defensively, ball winning through the middle and up the ground etc

Again, a good indicator that isn’t the reason for selection and it doesn’t diminish the other metrics
History has suggested this be the case.
When you went back and reviewed the stats from previous years, did you exclude finals?

Just humouring you and your constantly shifting goal posts, he is 5th - behind Brent Daniels, Aaron Naughton, Christian Petracca, Gryan Miers.

He has a goal assist in 53/200 Inside 50s, positively MILES ahead of Moore who is sitting at 50/200.
I've been recording them weekly since then.

100%, I just wish it wasn’t let’s plonk 16 mids in the side and then claim it’s a “real” time like they do every year.

It's really not that big of an issue.

The Stengle and Moore comparisons are rather idiotic also.

Stengle won't be up for selection as an AFL HFF in this side. He doesn't play that role at all and won't be selected there.

He will be up for the forward pocket, as he spends a massive portion of his game time deep forward vs genuine AFL half forwards.

Moore is an AFL HFF, which means he spends a massive amount of time up the ground.

Whilst it might not be 65% up the ground like Warner, it would still be 40/60 or even higher splits up around the ball.

Rankine is attending 45% of Adelaides CBA's at the moment. Does it matter? No, he's still spending 40% of his time up forward when not around the ball and still getting his 2 goals per game in recent months.

If you want to get real picky - Moore, Rankine, Warner, Sheezel all shouldn't qualify, as they boost their stats when up the ground. But that IS the modern half forward role and that's exactly who should get selected for the AA side on the flanks.....

Warner easily qualifies and it certainly should (and I don't think will) this year come down to purely goals kicked at all.

The likes of CD preach impact per pessession like assists, score involvements etc to all of the media identities every Monday in their releases. They know the importance of it.

AFL half forwards are most of the time +1 midfielders who push up and back and kick goals/create scores.

The players that meet that role will get picked there, Warner is the first picked at the moment, the other spot will be down to Rankine, Moore or Sheezel.

As a rover shouldn’t they look at rebound 50s intercepts and ground ball gets as well??
They’ll apply different metrics to separate mids but goals scored is such an easy point of differentiation. Serong’s only 3 goals have come in the last 4 weeks so if he continues to trend then he may well bridge the current 8 goal gap between him and Cripps.

They’ll apply different metrics to separate mids but goals scored is such an easy point of differentiation. Serong’s only 3 goals have come in the last 4 weeks so if he continues to trend then he may well bridge the current 8 goal gap between him and Cripps.
Yeah and if you’re picking two goal kicking mids like bont and daicos then your third mid is a meat and potatoes two way bull.
Otherwise it doesn’t work like ports midfield

They look at all of them Cripps will be starting though. He is likely the captain or at worst vice captain if they go Bont. Seeing will get in may be on the bench and that’s about right, pick the mids that impact the score the most it’s the way the game is this season

They look at all of them Cripps will be starting though. He is likely the captain or at worst vice captain if they go Bont. Seeing will get in may be on the bench and that’s about right, pick the mids that impact the score the most it’s the way the game is this season
Next you will be telling me there’s AA half fwds with less than 30 goals to their name.
Oh wait

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's really not that big of an issue.

The Stengle and Moore comparisons are rather idiotic also.

Stengle won't be up for selection as an AFL HFF in this side. He doesn't play that role at all and won't be selected there.

He will be up for the forward pocket, as he spends a massive portion of his game time deep forward vs genuine AFL half forwards.

Moore is an AFL HFF, which means he spends a massive amount of time up the ground.

Whilst it might not be 65% up the ground like Warner, it would still be 40/60 or even higher splits up around the ball.

Rankine is attending 45% of Adelaides CBA's at the moment. Does it matter? No, he's still spending 40% of his time up forward when not around the ball and still getting his 2 goals per game in recent months.

If you want to get real picky - Moore, Rankine, Warner, Sheezel all shouldn't qualify, as they boost their stats when up the ground. But that IS the modern half forward role and that's exactly who should get selected for the AA side on the flanks.....

Warner easily qualifies and it certainly should (and I don't think will) this year come down to goals kicked at all.

AFL half forwards are most of the time +1 midfielders who push up and back and kick goals/create scores.
I truly can't handle the irony of you calling Moore and Stengle comparisons idiotic when you're constantly trying to force Sheezel into the conversation.

Sheezel does not qualify for a HFF spot. Even if he did, there's no way he's being selected ahead of a HFF who has been there all season - particularly not those who in absolute terms have kicked a lot more goals, have had a lot more goal assists and a lot more score involvements.

Until Round 7 he played almost exclusively half back, from Round 8 he's been in around 44% of your centre bounce set ups. He's a great player and extremely versatile but, much like almost every versatile player before him, it means that he won't be collecting AA jumpers unless he can force one off the midfielders who will inevitably be selected on the bench.

I truly can't handle the irony of you calling Moore and Stengle comparisons idiotic when you're constantly trying to force Sheezel into the conversation.

Sheezel does not qualify for a HFF spot. Even if he did, there's no way he's being selected ahead of a HFF who has been there all season - particularly not those who in absolute terms have kicked a lot more goals, have had a lot more goal assists and a lot more score involvements.

Until Round 7 he played almost exclusively half back, from Round 8 he's been in around 44% of your centre bounce set ups. He's a great player and extremely versatile but, much like almost every versatile player before him, it means that he won't be collecting AA jumpers unless he can force one off the midfielders who will inevitably be selected on the bench.

Sheezel does qualify for a HFF spot.

It was stated by Cornes during the week that Sheezel meets the 400 minutes threshold for the first half of the year. Let alone the second half when he's spending a lot more forward.

Don't blame me.

When Sheezel is not in a center bounce, he's deep forward. He's basically playing the same role as Rankine, with the same CBA %'s.

None of the half forwards kick a lot more goals, have alot more goal assists or have a lot more score involvements when comparing apples with apples, which you seem so reluctant to do. (Shock horror)

He's averaging 1.4 goals per game, 1.2 goal assists per game and 5.4 score involvements per game. All the while getting it 26 times a game. Show me which half forward is averaging a lot more than that.

You raised Moore being so defensively better than the others a few posts ago? Well Sheezel is significant ahead of even Moore in that regard.

Sheezel is the #5 rated player in the league for the last 2 months of football. Not as a half back, as a half forward. He's just busted out one of the best 5 week blocks by a teenage ever. Including Daicos.

He qualifies for a half forward flank under the AA's own criteria.

You think he's not even in the conversation? lol.

If that rubs you up the wrong way, stiff shit. He has another 8 matches doing it and will easily qualify. Or are we saying 4 months in a role isn't enough when a player is clearly the best at it in the comp in that frame?

Last edited:
He's averaging 1.4 goals per game, 1.2 goal assists per game and 5.4 score involvements per game. Show me which half forward is averaging a lot more than that

You raised Moore being so defensively better than the others a few posts ago? Well Sheezel is significant ahead of even Moore in that regard.
Are we comparing the same time period? If so, here:

PlayerTeamInside50sMarksInside50Goals_AvgBehindsShotsAtGoalGoalAssistsScoreInvolvements
Dylan MooreHawthorn
4​
1.6​
1.8​
0.8​
3.2​
1.6​
7.2​
Harry SheezelNorth Melbourne
3.4​
0.6​
1.4​
0​
1.4​
1.2​
5.4​

Are we comparing the same time period? If so, here:

PlayerTeamInside50sMarksInside50Goals_AvgBehindsShotsAtGoalGoalAssistsScoreInvolvements
Dylan MooreHawthorn
4​
1.6​
1.8​
0.8​
3.2​
1.6​
7.2​
3.4​
0.6​
1.4​
0​
1.4​
1.2​
5.4​

Yes:

You seemed to have missed a few key bits

PlayerTeamRatingPoints_AvgDisposalsMetresGainedMetresGainedPerDisposalContestedPossessionsInterceptsGroundBallGetsCentreBounceAttendancePercentageTotalClearancesGoals_AvgBehindsShotsAtGoalGoalAssistsScoreInvolvementsScoreInvolvementPercentageScoreLaunchesOnePercentersTacklesPressureActs
Dylan MooreHawthorn
13.36​
21.8​
251.4​
11.532​
8.2​
1.8​
4.4​
22.137​
2.4​
1.8​
0.8​
3.2​
1.6​
7.2​
28.125​
0.8​
1.2​
3​
13.6​
18.94​
25.4​
390.6​
15.378​
11.6​
2.6​
8.8​
45.652​
3.8​
1.4​
0​
1.4​
1.2​
5.4​
31.034​
1.8​
2.2​
4​
24​

His 3 behind in a team that’s had scored 250 pts less.
He has had nearly 50 less cba because freo score less.
The clearance king is in the guts
Mate relax. They're both gonna make the team. They're both gonna have 20-25 Brownlow votes ++. Just enjoy it. Who cares marginally. You're melting over nothing here.

Yes:

You seemed to have missed a few key bits

PlayerTeamRatingPoints_AvgDisposalsMetresGainedMetresGainedPerDisposalContestedPossessionsInterceptsGroundBallGetsCentreBounceAttendancePercentageTotalClearancesGoals_AvgBehindsShotsAtGoalGoalAssistsScoreInvolvementsScoreInvolvementPercentageScoreLaunchesOnePercentersTacklesPressureActs
Dylan MooreHawthorn
13.36​
21.8​
251.4​
11.532​
8.2​
1.8​
4.4​
22.137​
2.4​
1.8​
0.8​
3.2​
1.6​
7.2​
28.125​
0.8​
1.2​
3​
13.6​
18.94​
25.4​
390.6​
15.378​
11.6​
2.6​
8.8​
45.652​
3.8​
1.4​
0​
1.4​
1.2​
5.4​
31.034​
1.8​
2.2​
4​
24​

He's averaging 1.4 goals per game, 1.2 goal assists per game and 5.4 score involvements per game. All the while getting it 26 times a game. Show me which half forward is averaging a lot more than that.
I was literally giving you the stats you asked me to compare, plus a few others specific to forwards for context. I'm not dumping the entire stat sheet like you just did. You asked me to compare apples to apples, not oranges.

You're arguing with me like I said Sheezel hasn't been outstanding. He certainly has been outstanding, but he's been outstanding in a general sense and not specifically as a half forward which means that there are better performed players in that role. Not better in general, but in that role - as evidenced by the stats which you asked for and which I provided.

Anyone else think that Nic Newman is bubbling under for a spot. Has had a great season , specifically mentioned by Nathan Buckley in the first selection meeting.

Could, of course, just be my carlton bias talking.

I was literally giving you the stats you asked me to compare, plus a few others specific to forwards for context. I'm not dumping the entire stat sheet like you just did. You asked me to compare apples to apples, not oranges.

You're arguing with me like I said Sheezel hasn't been outstanding. He certainly has been outstanding, but he's been outstanding in a general sense and not specifically as a half forward which means that there are better performed players in that role. Not better in general, but in that role - as evidenced by the stats which you asked for and which I provided.

He has been outstanding as a half forward.

There hasn't been a better performed player in that role since he's played there.

That's the point.

If you disagree with his splits "in a general sense" then I look forward to your opinion on Rankine.

He has been outstanding as a half forward.

There hasn't been a better performed player in that role since he's played there.

That's the point.

If you disagree with his splits "in a general sense" then I look forward to your opinion on Rankine.
Rankine has probably missed too many games. Pretty simple really.

Anyone else think that Nic Newman is bubbling under for a spot. Has had a great season , specifically mentioned by Nathan Buckley in the first selection meeting.

Could, of course, just be my carlton bias talking.

Him or McGrath should be in the side on structure so watch them pick neither

Remove this Banner Ad

Back