2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be a shock if Toby Greene makes it given nearly everyone has said he has been out of form most of the year.

Last edited:
I can handle discussion from opposition fans. If you look throughout this thread there haven't been any issues apart from, hang on... You. I'm not being aggressive or belligerent, and that statement is ironic coming from you since the last time you quoted me you told me to "pull my head out of my arse". It's almost as if you two can't handle someone with a differing opinions on your players in the AA thread and are lashing out.
I didn't realise you'd be triggered by me saying to "pull your head out of your arse"
That probably came across harsher than it was intended. 🤣

You posted some stats which minimised and downplayed James Sicily's production.
You're pretty biased against the Hawks. You'll claim otherwise, but we both know that's bullshit. :thumbsupv1:

I just think many people have a blind spot when it comes to Sicily. Is there an AFL backman who is more valuable to his team? If he's not our best player, then he's a clear no.2. The guy crushes it every weekend and everyone seems to gloss over his dominance.

e.g Darcy Moore was picked at CHB ahead of him last year (for the 2nd time). Relentless media hype for the Magpie defender who did okay for the AFL's best pressure-defence team, but was pretty f**kin iffy over the latter half of the 2023 season. Pies fans and media were circle jerking over Darcy Moore all year. In the end, Moore was probably lucky to make the All Australian team, yet it was Sicily who scraped in as back pocket.

So how's that looking this year? How is Darcy the Great travelling in 2024? Sicily is a MUCH better footballer than Darcy Moore. It's not even close. If Sicily played for Collingwood, he would probably have 2 or 3 AA blazers by now.

So it's a new season and the media love-in now decrees the overrated Harris Andrews is a lock for CHB.

Pfft.

As for what I'm getting out, I enjoy the statistical analysis as well as the entertainment of various supporters fighting about various players. Moore is right around the mark for AA, the second small forward spot is currently him or Toby Greene in all likelihood. But Stengle is the clear leader for the first spot.
Yep. Fair enough. Izak Rankine probably gets one half forward flank and Bont will get the other, even though he would be my first choice as centreman. Which basically leaves Dylan Moore and Tyson Stengle vying for a forward pocket.

"Why can't we have both?" /gif

Not sure why we need 3 key forwards, but only 2 smaller forwards. Whatever... Hard-working blue-collar guys like Dylan Moore are always up against it when it comes to recognition from the media and AA selection committees. People prefer flash and style over substance.

Last edited:
Yeah, if Sicily goes gangbusters to the end of the year and Hawthorn have a strong finish I don't think anyone would be questioning his selection. But when we're 14 games in and the first third of those were fairly poor by AA standards, I don't see how one can make the case for him being in. The players he's up against in that position have barely had a bad game between them.
Nope. He played a couple of bad games. Not five of them.

I see Harris Andrews appearing in many teams at CHB, but he has played a number of crappy games this year.

He was caught with the ball about 4 or 5 times last Friday night and was directly responsible for at least 3 or 4 of Melbourne's goals. Lucky for him, the Lions got out of jail with McCluggage's goal. He was lucky that Fritsch's snap for goal sailed to the left of the goal post with under a minute left.

In Brisbane's 25 point loss to the Hawks in Round 12, Andrews was beaten by 32 year old Jack Gunston, who kicked 4 goals on him and was difference between the two teams.

Time-stamped: 21:09

[Sicily] "He is a Top 25 player in the competition at the moment... If we were doing our All Australian team, he would be in there."

Anyways... this is based on the actual data. Not the media hype nor the group-think.
His crook shoulder might be an issue over the next 2 months and cost him yet another AA blazer.

Hard to think of a more dominant backman over the years with just 1x AA to his name. Josh Gibson, maybe?

Nope. He played a couple of bad games. Not five of them.

I see Harris Andrews appearing in many teams at CHB, but he has played a number of crappy games this year.

He was caught with the ball about 4 or 5 times last Friday night and was directly responsible for at least 3 or 4 of Melbourne's goals. Lucky for him, the Lions got out of jail with McCluggage's goal. He was lucky that Fritsch's snap for goal sailed to the left of the goal post with under a minute left.

In Brisbane's 25 point loss to the Hawks in Round 12, Andrews was beaten by 32 year old Jack Gunston, who kicked 4 goals on him and was difference between the two teams.

Time-stamped: 21:09

[Sicily] "He is a Top 25 player in the competition at the moment... If we were doing our All Australian team, he would be in there."

Anyways... this is based on the actual data. Not the media hype nor the group-think.
His crook shoulder might be an issue over the next 2 months and cost him yet another AA blazer.

Hard to think of a more dominant backman over the years with just 1x AA to his name. Josh Gibson, maybe?

Sorry but any rankings Hoyne and his cookers at CD come up with really hold little value imo. Any list that has Dan Houston, Max Holmes and Jack Sinclair in the top 10 players in the comp should be dismissed for the laughable dross that it is.

Updated AA Team:

Backline:

D. Zorko S. Collins L. Ryan

J. Clark J. Weitering L. Whitfield

Midfield:

Z. Merrett P. Cripps(C) E. Gulden

Forwardline:

D. Moore C. Curnow M. Bontempelli(VC)

T. Stengle B. King J. Waterman

Ruck/Followers:

M. Gawn I. Heeney N. Daicos

Interchange:

C. Serong C. Warner I. Rankine A. Treloar

Moore is the only player for the Hawks that I could consider a lock but that being said they play funny buggers a lot on the HFF.

If Sicily can keep up this form for that he has carried for the last 6 weeks for the rest of the season I think he is a chance for his 2nd AA. They owe him one in any case.

They physically can’t. He’s ahead of every midfielder and on par with Heeney. Probably ahead of him too after Sunday.
His 5th on coaches votes behind
Heeney
Daicos
Bont
Serong

Heeney could not play the next 2 games and Cripps have two perfect 10 games and he still wouldn’t be ahead in coaches votes.
Which is a metric they used heavily in picking last years team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back