2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicely handpicked stats to suit narrative.
I've been providing more stats than that. They are relatively even for the last two years. Personally, I think Serong gets in and around the ball more than Daicos.

I'd have both at the Dockers if I could

Any ball in dispute is a contested possession.

CONTESTED POSSESSION

A possession which has been won when the ball is in dispute. Includes looseball-gets, hardball-gets, contested marks, gathers from a hit-out and frees for.

exactly..so you can have plenty of contested possessions and not have 1 hardball get. How many squibs from Daicos do you need to realise that he shirks most hardball gets. Back flanker for mine.

Just lol. Makevery excuse in the book you want, but Daicos does plenty of hard work.
View attachment 2064445
Unfortunately Danster is right

But it’s more nuanced than that, just because he doesn’t get many hard ball gets doesn’t make him soft or uncontested

He gets a lot of loose balls, and every ground ball get is a contested possession

I think Daicos is not only capable as a mid but outstanding as one - he would be even better as a HBF or even as a forward that rotated through the middle as he’d have more time to let his skills shine (which is what makes him so lethal)

But Dan, just drop it with him not being a good mid

He’s leading your precious AFLCA vote count

that's subjective. I didn't say he wasn't a gun. I think he's one of the best players in the comp. I think he's just better in the half back line. Comprehension guys c'mon.
I agree that he would be better in space

Just to clarify, do you rate him as an elite midfielder? Because I do, despite his disposal as an inside mid

I think that’s where we disagree, I don’t think you do rate him as an elite inside mid

Curnow is 100%

This isn't an overly bad take but at this stage Cripps and Merrett are on the bench. Disagree with Sam Collins as a third tall defender. I think I'd prefer a Dan Houston type to come in.

Rankine on the list is a little ambitious at this stage.

I think some spots could easily move in the last 4 weeks. Might determine who's on the field, and who's on the bench. Still a number of spots up for grabs.

Not entirely sold on Sheezel with the strong list. Not a fan of Dwayne Russell completely ignoring Serong.

So do the guys who analyse every single one of his kicks, of every game, for his entire career.

Then double check them weekly.

With no bias.

They disagree.

Butters is in the top 5 users in the forward half in the comp. Serong is not in the same conversation in that regard, given he's in the bottom 5. Complete opposite ends of the spectrum.
serong brayshaw and young have more coaches votes than butters
Butters is irrelevant to 2024 aa

serong brayshaw and young have more coaches votes than butters
Butters is irrelevant to 2024 aa
Not necessarily. If he smashes it up in the last 4 rounds he could get 30 votes and end up with 84 votes and. It's about finishing off strong from here.

Curnow is 100%

This isn't an overly bad take but at this stage Cripps and Merrett are on the bench. Disagree with Sam Collins as a third tall defender. I think I'd prefer a Dan Houston type to come in.

Rankine on the list is a little ambitious at this stage.

I think some spots could easily move in the last 4 weeks. Might determine who's on the field, and who's on the bench. Still a number of spots up for grabs.

Not entirely sold on Sheezel with the strong list. Not a fan of Dwayne Russell completely ignoring Serong.
Holmes and Clark missing would be stiff. Both have been extremely good this season.

Holmes and Clark missing would be stiff. Both have been extremely good this season.
Yeah, I agree. But it's a tough list this year. Heeney, Daicos and Serong could all go over 100 votes in coaches votes and that's usually a win. Bont has been exceptional and been pivotal in wins. Merrett is flying. I think it could be a case of being in a tough year. Even Chad Warner is looking like he might miss out.

Yeah, I agree. But it's a tough list this year. Heeney, Daicos and Serong could all go over 100 votes in coaches votes and that's usually a win. Bont has been exceptional and been pivotal in wins. Merrett is flying. I think it could be a case of being in a tough year. Even Chad Warner is looking like he might miss out.
I think theres going to be a ridiculous amount of inside mids this year. Last year had a better spread from flankers, KPP players etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holmes is a solid candidate for a bench spot. He's been a great rebounding half back but also been strong on the wing, with the odd midfield cameo. A defender with a few strings to his bow rounds out a bench nicely.

Usually as a youngster you need a near-AA level season in year one before being selected in year two though. So he may miss out partly because of that.

And to be clear I'd say Clark is worthy too, probably just more likely to be on field or miss out altogether as he's been less of a utility than Holmes.

Last edited:
They’re not far apart but Daicos has been better, evidenced by all the numbers provided
Look at all the numbers you like. On the field, little separates them. Coaches votes would indicate that they are having the same impact. Serong has significantly more pressure acts. Most of the key stats are the same with some subtle variations.

Look at all the numbers you like. On the field, little separates them. Coaches votes would indicate that they are having the same impact. Serong has significantly more pressure acts. Most of the key stats are the same with some subtle variations.

Daicos averages more goals, more goal assists, more score involvements and 100 plus more meters gained a match. Their impact on games is not even close.

Last edited:
Sounds like he might make the fwd line with those “key” stats

You can some key midfield stats too if you like such as more inside 50s, more kicks, more disposals. Serong is having a nice season but his impact in games pales into insignificance compared to Daicos.

You’re welcome to provide arguments why goals, assists and metres gained are not overly relevant KPIs for midfielders but those arguments will be very, very weak
it’s bloody good to have in a midfield I’m not denying that
But you only have to look at ports midfield to see it doesn’t work when all three starting mids first instinct is to press fwd of the ball.
I love daicos he will be in I just think it’s a flawed logic that the AA midfield is purely picked on fwd half when a rover/ruck rover works in the back half aswell

errr, you realise a hard ball get isn't a contested possession...

Any ball in dispute is a contested possession.

CONTESTED POSSESSION

A possession which has been won when the ball is in dispute. Includes looseball-gets, hardball-gets, contested marks, gathers from a hit-out and frees for.

Daicos is the loose ball king of the AFL.

It’s where he gets the majority of his contested possessions.

Hard ball gets are separate stat but out of good inside mids the difference isn’t large.

Serong - 3 / 14 CP / 8 CL
Neale - 3 / 13.5 CP / 7 CL
Cripps - 4 / 15 CP / 8 CL
Daicos - 2 / 14 CP / 8 CL

Definitely different but Daicos is still a strong midfielder without these, contested possessions still count and so do clearances.

Daicos is the best at cleanly gathering and reading the hitout in the league, which doesn’t count as a hard ball get, but shows elite stoppage craft.

Daicos is top 3 loose ball gets, first for midfielders.

Contested possessions and clearances have been shown and are very close.

Then Daicos is by far a better user than all of these listed, all have differing strengths. Neale and Serong elite ground ball players with superb clean hands and creativity. Cripps is a 195cm bull with power and an ability to get forward and create mismatches. Daicos is a great ball user, evasiveness, cleanliness and general class.

All great players, different but still strong in similar areas, doing it in different ways. Process v result and how that differs.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back