2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

He was a liability for a third of the season. Couldn't find the ball, goals kicked on him weekly, giving away dumb free kicks from frustration... He was in career worst form.

More to the point where would he be in the team? Half back? He was so hopeless down there this season that his coach had to move him. Midfield? Probably 40 mids ahead of him this year.

Not even close to an AA season. Would be a bigger disgrace than when he got in over Sicily a few years back.

He gave away a whopping 6 free kicks during that period - and he still picked up 3 himself so he was batting at -0.5 frees per game across a month and a half, and 20 touches. It’s a wonder he was still getting a game. Stop the presses, he was just so hopeless 😂

Have you stopped to think that maybe rather than ‘being hopeless’ it was a case that suddenly arguably our most important player wasn’t driving the side anymore because he was actually being played better by the opposition?

The funniest part about your last sentence is that you say it like he had a bad season that year. Was he a bit lucky? Yeah maybe. Was he still elite? Absolutely

I'd find it hard to rank him above Bont if you consider him as a midfielder. The scoreboard impact is just too great.
Yes Bont is hard to argue against but Neale has been amazing this year and sets up so much scoring with how clean he is and his kicking has gone to another level this year as well.
I also rate Daniher as a top 2 KPP forward this year in the competition as well and his scoreboard impact is not the highest as well, I think some players just do a little more even though not kicking the goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Bont is hard to argue against but Neale has been amazing this year and sets up so much scoring with how clean he is and his kicking has gone to another level this year as well.
I also rate Daniher as a top 2 KPP forward this year in the competition as well and his scoreboard impact is not the highest as well, I think some players just do a little more even though not kicking the goals.
Who is ahead of Joe?

Not sure if he’s better than Bont but way better than Walsh & Cripps.
Walsh absolutely, he's stunk it up the last 6 or so weeks. Shouldn't be in any AA discussions anymore.

But do tell us how he's been better than Daicos, Cripps, Serong? Please use some in depth analysis rather than just he's been good and Brisbane are good too.

Hint - All 3 have had better years than Neale to date

Fair enough …. I’d have Joe below the Carlton boys
Its probably fair to have him behind. He is behind on goals, and probably needs a big finish to the season to bridge that gap. If he gets about equal on goals, then his extra ruck work would be a good reason to put him into the team.

I'd have Joe in that chasing 3-6th group pending what you value and how you want to build a "team"

Its probably fair to have him behind. He is behind on goals, and probably needs a big finish to the season to bridge that gap. If he gets about equal on goals, then his extra ruck work would be a good reason to put him into the team.

I'd have Joe in that chasing 3-6th group pending what you value and how you want to build a "team"
No slight on Joe …. There’s a few very good kpfs this year

I just think his work up the ground and his meters gained is very good and he is second only to Curnow for score involvements by a small margin. By far leads the inside 50 for key forwards is the only big guy featuring in upper part of the list really.

McGovern should be in there - I realise he’s missed a handful of games but the guy has been seriously good all season in a backline that has been hammered at the best of times.

There is nobody better at what he does.

I just think his work up the ground and his meters gained is very good and he is second only to Curnow for score involvements by a small margin. By far leads the inside 50 for key forwards is the only big guy featuring in upper part of the list really.

*equal second. Per game anyway. He’s tied with Cameron. It’s only that he’s played one more game that has him ahead for total.

They’re equal for score involvements, Cameron is ahead for goal assists per game, and goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back