2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you forgetting their main man, Lachie Neale ?

Brisbane were 13th on the ladder after they were belted by the Giants in Round 7
2 wins, 5 losses, 94.2%

13 games later, the Lions had climbed all the way to 2nd on the ladder
11 wins, 1 loss, 1 draw, 142.6%

Lachie Neale polled 72 votes in 9 of the 13 games 😲
BOG (or next best) in 7 of 13 games

He received 4 votes in the Lions' loss to Hawthorn, but I thought he was probably BOG in that game too. Wouldn't surprise me if the umps gave him 3 votes. He single-handedly dragged the Lions back into the contest with a dominant 3rd quarter and was a class above everyone else on the ground.

______________________ Disp__AFLCA
Rd 08 (H) v Gold W 34…. 34…. 2 votes
Rd 09 (A) v AdelDrew…_ 25
Rd 10 (H)v RichW 119.. 3610 votes
Rd 11 (A) v Haw.… L 25….. 29.… 4 votes
Rd 13 (A) v W.B…. W 43.… 38 10 votes
Rd 14 (H)v St K W 20…. 20
Rd 15 (A) v Port…. W 79.… 37…. 8 votes
Rd 16 (H) v Melb W 5…._ 29
Rd 17 (H) v Adel W 11…. 36 10 votes
Rd 18 (A)v WCE W 13…. 34 10 votes
Rd 19 (H) v Syd…. W 2…._ 18
Rd 20 (A) v Gold W 28.… 3510 votes
Rd 21 (A)v St KW 85.._ 33..… 8 votes
Lachie Beale?

edit: it was a typo... Beale... WTF was I thinking? :D Anyhoo...

Brisbane were 13th on the ladder after they were belted by the Giants in Round 7
2 wins, 5 losses, 94.2%

After a slowish start to the season by is own high standards, Neale polled 72 votes in 9 of the 13 games 😲
He was BOG (or next best) in 7 of 13 games

He received 4 votes in the Lions' loss to Hawthorn, but I thought he was close to BOG in that game too. Wouldn't surprise me if the umps gave him 2 or 3 votes. He single-handedly dragged the Lions back into the contest with a dominant 3rd quarter and was a class above everyone else on the ground.

Would not shock me at all if he wins this third brownlow.

edit: it was a typo... Beale... WTF was I thinking? :D Anyhoo...

2 wins, 5 losses, 94.2%

After a slowish start to the season by his own high standards, Neale polled 72 votes in 9 of the 13 games 😲
He was BOG (or next best) in 7 of 13 games

He received 4 coaches' votes in the Lions' loss to Hawthorn, but I thought he was close to BOG in that game too. Wouldn't surprise me if the umps gave him 2 or 3 Brownlow votes. He single-handedly dragged the Lions back into the contest with a dominant 3rd quarter and was a class above everyone else on the ground.

Yeah sorry typo, Neale was important in that rise so were the other two. If they HAVE to pick a bloke on the wing that isn't a winger pick Clugg he's been robbed enough times as it is.

It's pretty close.

Greene averages more:

-Coaches votes
-Goals (about twice as many)
-Effective kicks
-Inside 50s
-Marks
-Contested marks

Daniels averages more:

-Disposals
-Contested possessions
-Clearances
-Goal assists
-Tackles
-Pressure acts

Productive score involvements, if you take out behinds (Greene has more shots and more misses) are exactly the same.

Daniels has less turnovers and more score involvements per disposal.

Greene being less amazing while Daniels has stepped up a level makes the "momentum choice" sit with the latter. Really Daniels has just bridged the gap and they offer things that are complimentary to each other.
I suppose we judge Toby more harshly because of his past seasons. He seems quite a bit down on, particularly, last year - certainly a lot more inconsistent. There has been whole games where he hasn't been a factor. Very un-Toby like.

Daniels has stepped up & has had a way more consistent year. By far his best season yet.

Legendary Full Forward Dylan Moore.

Personnel wise, not a bad list (some howlers IMO) but the positioning is all over the place.
I didn't care too much about the positioning. Just slotted players in.

I'd love to find a home for JHF, Sheezel. I think Luke Ryan could be controversial. I could easily replace him. Gulden is a bit of s stat whore. I think you have to give Xerri a spot on the bench for his solid season.

I'd love to put Rankine in the team on peak performance.

I didn't care too much about the positioning. Just slotted players in.

I'd love to find a home for JHF, Sheezel. I think Luke Ryan could be controversial. I could easily replace him. Gulden is a bit of s stat whore. I think you have to give Xerri a spot on the bench for his solid season.

I'd love to put Rankine in the team on peak performance.

Not a bad effort, personally Warner should be there over Rowell and where is Gulden? Top of the ladder Sydney are going to have more than 1 in (Gulden is a stone cold certainty best winger in the game)

Not a bad effort, personally Warner should be there over Rowell and where is Gulden? Top of the ladder Sydney are going to have more than 1 in (Gulden is a stone cold certainty best winger in the game)
Yeah. I dont disagree. I was filling in time. Theres still a lot of playrrs unlucky.

Yeah. I dont disagree. I was filling in time. Theres still a lot of playrrs unlucky.

Realistically not sure how Rowell is near the squad. Honestly Anderson has been their best mid surely. The others are tricky, at least you are one of the few that actually named Heeney in the midfield that’s a positive lol. Gulden will be there otherwise you have a side with no wingers, Merrett can play there at a pinch but he’s not really a wingman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Final realistic attempt (I fully anticipate them squeezing in as many mids as possible) with a couple of smokies:

FB: Zorko Weitering Clark

HB: Whitfield Andrews Holmes

C: Gulden Cripps Daicos

HF: Moore Curnow Bontempelli

FF: Stengle Hogan Greene

FOL: Gawn Serong Heeney

IC: Neale Butters Merrett Horne-Francis

Bench and on field players are interchangeable so please no more tears over that. I expect one of the high goal/assist mids who rotate forward will be chosen - toss up between Warner and JHF there. Dead heat between Merrett and Treloar. Butters has peaked at the right time. Greene's still been extremely prolific and they will need a few genuine forwards - I'd go with him over a third key forward. Houston and Dale are just as likely to make it as Holmes, Whitfield et al. Curnow's numbers too hard to ignore even with missing the last two games and frustrating at times.

In contention: Warner Treloar Xerri Sheezel Houston Dale Daniels Blakey Daniher J.Cameron

About a half dozen better key backs?
McGovern at CHB

Who has been better?

Key backs:
McKay - no
Barass - no
McCartin, Melican - no
Pearce, Draper - no
Taylor, Buckley - no
Andrews - maybe
Frost, Sicily - no
Miller - no
Jones, Lobb - no
Chom - no
Howard, Battle, Wilkie - no
Henry - no
Aliir - no
Keane, Worrell - no
Moore, Frampton - no
May, Lever - no
Ballard - no
Collins - maybe

Thoughts?

McGovern at CHB

Who has been better?

Key backs:
McKay - no
Barass - no
McCartin, Melican - no
Pearce, Draper - no
Taylor, Buckley - no
Andrews - maybe
Frost, Sicily - no
Miller - no
Jones, Lobb - no
Chom - no
Howard, Battle, Wilkie - no
Henry - no
Aliir - no
Keane, Worrell - no
Moore, Frampton - no
May, Lever - no
Ballard - no
Collins - maybe

Thoughts?
I was being flippant. But could make serious arguments for

McGovern, Harris Andrews, Taylor, Buckley, Pearce, Sam Collins.

The issue is that he's not the intercepting, game altering CHB type like a McGovern, while he's also not the fulll lock down 1% king like an Andrews.

He's ranked 17th in intercepts per game, 10th in one percenters. He's stuck in this weird middle ground of being a bit of everything while not at the elite elite in something.

Might just be a factor of having watched McGovern for so many years and seeing how he completely changes the way other teams approach their forward 50 that i struggle with rating Wietering. Just feel like his best attributes (lock down key defender) are very replacable and isn't as valuable as having someone who can dictate a game from back there.

when Weitering led the league in intercept marks last year they snubbed him, so I expect nothing less
He's 11th in intercept marks this year.

He was equal 4th in intercept marks per game last year. Behind Balta, McKay and equal with Sammy Taylor, while dropping to 11thin in total intercepts per game.

Think Andrews gets the FB anyway as Brisbane are top 5 and has been a large reason on Brisbane’s turnaround. Sam Taylor is the best one but he’s missed a fair few games

I was being flippant. But could make serious arguments for

McGovern, Harris Andrews, Taylor, Buckley, Pearce, Sam Collins.

The issue is that he's not the intercepting, game altering CHB type like a McGovern, while he's also not the fulll lock down 1% king like an Andrews.

He's ranked 17th in intercepts per game, 10th in one percenters. He's stuck in this weird middle ground of being a bit of everything while not at the elite elite in something.

Might just be a factor of having watched McGovern for so many years and seeing how he completely changes the way other teams approach their forward 50 that i struggle with rating Wietering. Just feel like his best attributes (lock down key defender) are very replacable and isn't as valuable as having someone who can dictate a game from back there.
It hasn't been a year with amazing KPDs, that's why I think Weitering remains a very good shot. There's some less fashionable names he's going up against (e.g Collins, Buckley), then Pearce and Taylor missed too much footy. WCE will just face barriers to get a player in at the moment, it's unfair but I think it's true. McGovern has been really good but in teams like that sometimes you have to be "Ablett 2011-2012" type of standout to get the nod. Also Gov probably sees a lot more of the ball than Weitering.

I think Andrews takes one spot, then it is probably out of Weitering and McGovern for the other. Although a slightly more surprising selectee is a possibility. Is Sicily a smokey to hold down CHB while Andrews is at FB?

It hasn't been a year with amazing KPDs, that's why I think Weitering remains a very good shot. There's some less fashionable names he's going up against (e.g Collins, Buckley), then Pearce and Taylor missed too much footy. WCE will just face barriers to get a player in at the moment, it's unfair but I think it's true. McGovern has been really good but in teams like that sometimes you have to be "Ablett 2011-2012" type of standout to get the nod. Also Gov probably sees a lot more of the ball than Weitering.

I think Andrews takes one spot, then it is probably out of Weitering and McGovern for the other. Although a slightly more surprising selectee is a possibility. Is Sicily a smokey to hold down CHB while Andrews is at FB?

Actually not the worst shout the Sicily one it’s been that sort of year for key defenders. Unheralded but Buckley from the Giants has been immense too just not sure how many games he’s missed

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back