2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

63 coaches votes (the only defender on the coaches votes leaderboard - top 20), featuring 13 times (only 8 players in the whole comp featured more than that), 2nd most metres gained - it wasn't enough for Max Holmes to get selected on a back flank or the bench. The best performing player of the 3rd ranked team. Take Holmes out and Geelong probably wouldn't even be playing finals this season.

More evidence for the theory that you usually need to have had AA or near AA form for two years to get your first selection as a youngster.

Goals, Contested Marks, Score Involvements, Goal Assists, Shots on Goal and Goal Accuracy % are pretty much the the bread and butter for judging a KPF. Curnow ahead in the majority of those despite having some of those averages reduced by being subbed out injured.

Jake Waterman had a fantastic year and I'm glad he got selected, cbf really having the argument over a player I don't even dislike. Happy for him and WCE fans

Coleman Medal - Final Top 5

69 goals - Jesse Hogan (23 games)
Shots at Goal: 105
Behinds: 25
No Score: 11
Accuracy: 65.7%
Goal Average: 3.0
Disposal Efficiency: 68.3%
Kick Efficiency: 66.8%
Marks: 6.4
Contested Marks: 2.4
Goal Assists: 0.5
Score Involvements: 6.6
Tackles: 1.3
Tackles Inside 50: 1.0

58 goals - Jeremy Cameron (22 games)
Shots at Goal: 112
Behinds: 35
No Score: 19
Accuracy: 51.7%
Goal Average: 2.7
Disposal Efficiency: 67.1%
Kick Efficiency: 61.9%
Marks: 6.2
Contested Marks: 0.5
Goal Assists: 0.7
Score Involvements: 7.3
Tackles: 1.8
Tackles Inside 50: 0.7

57 goals - Charlie Curnow (21 games)
Shots at Goal: 103
Behinds: 41
No Score: 5
Accuracy: 55.3%
Goal Average: 2.7
Disposal Efficiency: 61.4%
Kick Efficiency: 58.9%
Marks: 6.0
Contested Marks: 2.1
Goal Assists: 0.7
Score Involvements: 7.1
Tackles: 1.0
Tackles Inside 50: 0.7

55 goals - Ben King (22 games)
Shots at Goal: 98
Behinds: 26
No Score: 17
Accuracy: 56.1%
Goal Average: 2.5
Disposal Efficiency: 61.9%
Kick Efficiency: 57.4%
Marks: 4.5
Contested Marks: 1.4
Goal Assists: 0.1
Score Involvements: 5.0
Tackles: 0.6
Tackles Inside 50: 0.1

53 goals - Jake Waterman (20 games)
Shots at Goal: 90
Behinds: 23
No Score: 14
Accuracy: 58.9%
Goal Average: 2.6
Disposal Efficiency: 73.3%
Kick Efficiency: 69.4%
Marks: 6.9
Contested Marks: 1.6
Goal Assists: 0.4
Score Involvements: 6.3
Tackles: 1.1
Tackles Inside 50: 0.6

Someone will need to explain the Whitfield over Sheezel one for me.

Given Sheezel season was statistically the second best u21 one ever behind Bont this season.

Easy, Whitfield took a side to a top 4 finish for starters, Sheezel also didn’t play half the season forward of centre yes he had a AA type year after this occurred but his first half wasn’t. Whitfield was elite the first half a year

Easy, Whitfield took a side to a top 4 finish for starters, Sheezel also didn’t play half the season forward of centre yes he had a AA type year after this occurred but his first half wasn’t. Whitfield was elite the first half a year

Sheezel was rated ahead of Whitfield at the halfway point of the season AND lead the league in disposals.

Poor reasoning.

For me the All Australian Team lost all credibility when Lachie Neale didn’t get picked last year and then won the Brownlow. They don’t usually pick wingers but last year picked Josh Daicos ahead of Neale which I think everyone would agree is laughable.
How anyone feels comfortable putting Jacob Weitering name on the All Australian list this year ahead of Harris Andrews is beyond me. Harris is that much better than Jacob it’s not funny.
Lions had a makeshift backline for most of this season and conceded the third LEAST points in the comp. Carlton conceded the 4th MOST points. Harris was the reason the Lions had such a good defensive record.

Think its close to what we all expected. Thought they'd just squeeze one mid into the HF line rather than two and Gulden was the only winger who had an AA calibre season.

Biggest snubs for me: Andrews, Stengle, Curnow
Biggest surprises: Waterman (good season, definitely squad earnt but really surprising), Ryan
Ryan was in most pundits teams and he played as well as he did in 2020 when he was AA back pocket.
he is now a 2xAA back pocket and BnF winner hopefully more people will start giving him the respect he deserves

Ladder positions don't matter apparently....

Cause no one can explain how does the best goal kicking Small Forward in the entire competition in Stengle who will go close to winning our best and fairest who took a team from 12th to 3rd (same jump in ladder spots HOKBALL did) not get an AA gig but Waterman playing for 16th best West Coast gets a gig in the forward pocket? Eagles finished 16th and had two players, Cats finished 3rd and had 1 player....

Or the fact Warner and Heeney aren't forwards (media made a huge deal about them being Swans mids) get a gig over a genuine crumbing and goal kicking small forward?

Baffling...Didn't need to shoehorn in 100 mids. Not every midfielders needs to make a team.
They need to change the way it's done to have groupings.

Last edited:
Ladder positions don't matter apparently....

CCause no one can explain how does the best goal kicking Small Forward in the entire competition in Stengle who will go close to winning our best and fairest who took a team from 12th to 3rd (same jump in ladder spots HOKBALL did) not get an AA gig but Waterman playing for 16th best West Coast gets a gig in the forward pocket? Eagles finished 16th and had two players, Cats finished 3rd and had 1 player....

Or the fact Warner and Heeney aren't forwards (media made a huge deal about them being Swans mids) get a gig over a genuine crumbing and goal kicking forward?

Baffling...
What always baffled me was how cats had 9 AA in 07 but
Blues 95
Dons 2000
Tigers dynasty
Lions dynasty
Maxed out between 4-6 representatives

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it's about goals only? Pity this wasn't the case in 2020 when Dangerfield was selected with 17 goals :)

And Danger shouldn't have made it as a forward then either...

Don't get why people try to do "gotcha's" like this as if people don't hold same standards for their own players.
If you aren't good enough as a mid to make the side, shoehorning them into other field positions is dumb asf.

63 coaches votes (the only defender on the coaches votes leaderboard - top 20), featuring 13 times (only 8 players in the whole comp featured more than that), 2nd most metres gained - it wasn't enough for Max Holmes to get selected on a back flank or the bench. The best performing player of the 3rd ranked team. Take Holmes out and Geelong probably wouldn't even be playing finals this season.

More evidence for the theory that you usually need to have had AA or near AA form for two years to get your first selection as a youngster.

Waterman begs to differ, after 6 seasons of mostly nothing, he has a good season and he's straight in. Him out and Stengle in.

I've held the view since 2012 that the AA selectors pick 2 controversial players each year to promote 'discussion'. i.e. sell papers and get clicks. Sometimes through omission but usually it's the eyebrow raising selection of 1 or 2 players.

This year is no different. And, again, I fell for it.

Player ranked Top 10 in the league for score involvements is “not damaging”.

What a take
You can’t change their mind it’s their default setting.
Brayshaw was top 5 for score inv in a low scoring team and is still a non damaging vanilla mid.
Just enjoy the fact they play for your club and not the oppo!

I am not sure either :p

My personal one I always correct people on is the difference between poison and venom. Not sure why that one bugs me, though it fortunately does not come up much on bigfooty.
It's easy - Poison are sissy, glam metal lite. Venom are the kings of Black Metal.

The bigger issue is:

-Why is 3 KPFs and 1 small/general forward, a better balance than 2 KPFs and 2 small/general forwards?

They are basically saying only the best non-KPF in the comp can make the AA side.

3 KPFs and 2 other forwards? Fine. But 3 and 1 is silly.
I'd argue General fwd are having more impact on results than KPF this season. Guys like Moore, Rankine, Daniels and Stengle might win their clubs BnF.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back