2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't watched heaps of non-cats games this year, but my gut feeling is that Harris Andrews is stiff to miss, always seems in control when I watch Lions games.

Good point made earlier about attacking vs defending defenders. I guess it gets lost now with team defences but there was a time when players like Jackovich, who could win the day against champion forwards, would be picked.

From a Geelong perspective, I think Stengle is a more worthy pick than Cameron.

Xerri and Sheezel robbed.

Just goes to show the so called “experts” that selects the team just select their favourite players. The fans’ votes had both players in the team. What a joke

It is harder to get into the AA team if you are in a bad team yourself. It isn't fair but unfortunately it is the truth.

The Brownlow in many ways has the opposite problem. If you have a lot of good players in your team it is very hard to win it. Much easier if you are a standout player in a mid range team.

Xerri and Sheezel robbed.

Just goes to show the so called “experts” that selects the team just select their favourite players. The fans’ votes had both players in the team. What a joke
100 percent agree with everything said. Xerri and Sheezel have been the best for our team by a mile, leading our midfield and strength. Xerri has been consistent for around 12 weeks straight and has outdated Gawn in the second half of the year. Shows that the AFL pick popular players in their AA team and Brownlow Votes. Also, Blakey did not deserve it over Sheezel and, don't forget Merrett not making it pathetic.

Welcome to the life of Weitering the last 4 seasons.
Its been Andrews life for multiple seasons as well. Last year he won the BnF over the Brownlow medallist but couldnt crack the final team. Despite what certain posters were saying for a long time he gets snubbed as much as any over the last few years.

I get that all of these decisions are lineball but there does at times seem to be a barrier thats harder for certain teams to overcome. Maybe its the lack of representation on the selection panel or maybe its just being off broadway and not being in the media enough.

Just in the last few years for the Lions there have been a few questionable snubs (Im sure other teams have similar):
  • Harris Andrews 2023-24 in the best few defenders but doesnt make the final team
  • Neale 2023 joins the list of Brownlow Medalists not to make it
  • Charlie Cameron 2020-2022 was the best performing small forward and kicked more goals in each year than Ryan, Dusty, Greene, Papley and Stengle all who got selected over him
  • Hugh McCluggage 2019-22 one of the best wings going around for multiple years with no final teams. He moves into the middle and then we have the one off year of wingers being selected

Last edited:
It is harder to get into the AA team if you are in a bad team yourself. It isn't fair but unfortunately it is the truth.

The Brownlow in many ways has the opposite problem. If you have a lot of good players in your team it is very hard to win it. Much easier if you are a standout player in a mid range team.
Im not sure thats true any more for the AA. There have been several comments over the last few years about how when close-ish decisions they have gone with the player from the less successful team as its "harder" for them to do it.

100 percent agree with everything said. Xerri and Sheezel have been the best for our team by a mile, leading our midfield and strength. Xerri has been consistent for around 12 weeks straight and has outdated Gawn in the second half of the year. Shows that the AFL pick popular players in their AA team and Brownlow Votes. Also, Blakey did not deserve it over Sheezel and, don't forget Merrett not making it pathetic.
Sheezel wouldn't have been competing with Blakey for a position in this year's team

Sheezel wouldn't have been competing with Blakey for a position in this year's team
For a player who is basically at a team who can't even win 5 games compared to top of the ladder. Shows the big spread of the two player's and the teams that they are in. Sheezel has a way bigger impact on North as a loss compared to Blakey on Swans. We have lost back to back 100 point games due to Sheez's being out of the team.

For a player who is basically at a team who can't even win 5 games compared to top of the ladder. Shows the big spread of the two player's and the teams that they are in. Sheezel has a way bigger impact on North as a loss compared to Blakey on Swans. We have lost back to back 100 point games due to Sheez's being out of the team.
I think Sheezel should have made the team but I don't think he is competing for the same position as Blakey is what I meant. Sheezel would be competing with the players selected on the bench

You've lost plenty of games with Sheezel in the team too. He's not the reason you're winning or losing games on his own.

FFS, who actually gives a flying feck which players get selected in this fictitious AA team ??

It's just some seppo bulls1t that we have pinched and try to make relevant or prestigious.

Reading some of the posters comments here is so pathetic & sooky-la-la that you have to wonder what their IQ is.

Most are totally biased statements along the lines of "that player from my club was better and he should have been selected, he was robbed"............... give yourselves an uppercut and then STFU !!

FFS, who actually gives a flying feck which players get selected in this fictitious AA team ??

It's just some seppo bulls1t that we have pinched and try to make relevant or prestigious.

Reading some of the posters comments here is so pathetic & sooky-la-la that you have to wonder what their IQ is.

Most are totally biased statements along the lines of "that player from my club was better and he should have been selected, he was robbed"............... give yourselves an uppercut and then STFU !!
I agree …. I remember when I made AA (not in footy) I didn’t even realize it was a thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its been Andrews life for multiple seasons as well. Last year he won the BnF over the Brownlow medallist but couldnt crack the final team. Despite what certain posters were saying for a long time he gets snubbed as much as any over the last few years.

I get that all of these decisions are lineball but there does at times seem to be a barrier thats harder for certain teams to overcome. Maybe its the lack of representation on the selection panel or maybe its just being off broadway and not being in the media enough.

Just in the last few years for the Lions there have been a few questionable snubs (Im sure other teams have similar):
  • Harris Andrews 2023-24 in the best few defenders but doesnt make the final team
  • Neale 2023 joins the list of Brownlow Medalists not to make it
  • Charlie Cameron 2020-2022 was the best performing small forward and kicked more goals in each year than Ryan, Dusty, Greene, Papley and Stengle all who got selected over him
  • Hugh McCluggage 2019-22 one of the best wings going around for multiple years with no final teams. He moves into the middle and then we have the one off year of wingers being selected
Every team has there snubs each year. To me the only standout howler is Luke Ryan. Waterman > Curnow could be argued, as could Weitering + Gov > Andrews but Ryan the only genuinely bad pick this year imo.

Can i carry you in my pocket and just bring you out when ever someone is a pinhead in front of me.

Agree 100%

I saw this post on reddit yesterday

ykfbo6j99kld1.jpeg

about creating an AA team based on players who top the game with one stat.

and I must admit I have thought of something similar before, but slightly different.

I wondered what stat would make the best team, so if you had to pick a single stat for the best team what would it be, so for instance if you picked disposals, so your CHB has to be the CHB in the competition with the most disposals, your ruckman has to be the ruckman who got the most disposals in the competition, same with your small defender or small forward.

How would the most disposals team go against the team with the most tackles, or the team with the most contested marks? How about the team with the most metres gained.

I wonder which stat would create the best team.

Even if you fielded the rejects side this week against the AA side you couldn't be that confident in the AA side.

Collins Andrews Holmes
Dale Sicily Sinclair
McLuggage Anderson Ambrosio
Young Curnow Sheezel
Stengle Daniher Daniels
Xerri Merrett JHF
Brayshaw Clark Rayner Cameron

Blakey Weitering Ryan
Zorko McGovern Houston
Gulden Bontempelli Daicos
Warner Cameron Heeney
Waterman Hogan Moore
Gawn Cripps Serong
Whitfield Neale Treloar Butters

There's no clear advantage in the ruck or followers.

The centre line, I'd be worried about Daicos on a wing defensively.

Can the AA defensive line do a better job of containing the rejects forward line? Debatable. Also there's so much run and good ball use coming out of that rejects back line, would be a headache for their forwards. Warner and Heeney don't work very hard defensively and average less than one tackle inside 50 per game collectively.

Definitely the AA has more depth on the bench but they get to choose first! If I just swap Bont for Anderson, I reckon the rejects beat the AA team.

Even if you fielded the rejects side this week against the AA side you couldn't be that confident in the AA side.

Collins Andrews Holmes
Dale Sicily Sinclair
McLuggage Anderson Ambrosio
Young Curnow Sheezel
Stengle Daniher Daniels
Xerri Merrett JHF
Brayshaw Clark Rayner Cameron

Blakey Weitering Ryan
Zorko McGovern Houston
Gulden Bontempelli Daicos
Warner Cameron Heeney
Waterman Hogan Moore
Gawn Cripps Serong
Whitfield Neale Treloar Butters

There's no clear advantage in the ruck or followers.

The centre line, I'd be worried about Daicos on a wing defensively.

Can the AA defensive line do a better job of containing the rejects forward line? Debatable. Also there's so much run and good ball use coming out of that rejects back line, would be a headache for their forwards. Warner and Heeney don't work very hard defensively and average less than one tackle inside 50 per game collectively.

Definitely the AA has more depth on the bench but they get to choose first! If I just swap Bont for Anderson, I reckon the rejects beat the AA team.
The AA team would completely trounce the leftovers. Midfield would absolutely annihilate them

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back