2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Guess we found out why the AA selectors passed on Sicily and Massimo

What a funny thing to say - especially for Sicily.

He got a hard tag and still got 19 disposals as a key position player and had 5 intercepts and 5 spoils (#1 on ground) in 3 quarters and didn't lose a single defensive one on one.

He then went forward when we were 3 goals down in the last quarter and proceeded to take 3 contested marks he had no right to take (in a flooded defense in a high pressure final). No Port player took more than 1 contested mark for the whole night and Sicily took 3 pack marks in the 2nd half of the last quarter. He got us back into the game and gave us a huge chance to win, unfortunately hitting the post from 50 out when the game was on his boot. Disappointing sure - but without Sicily we don't have a chance to win it in the first place.

He was also in the top 2 players on the ground in week 1 of finals.

That's obviously ignoring the fact that finals performances have no bearing on AA - which should be a relief to a Carlton (and Curnow) fan ;) .

What a funny thing to say - especially for Sicily.

He got a hard tag and still got 19 disposals as a key position player and had 5 intercepts and 5 spoils (#1 on ground) in 3 quarters and didn't lose a single defensive one on one.

He then went forward when we were 3 goals down in the last quarter and proceeded to take 3 contested marks he had no right to take (in a flooded defense in a high pressure final). No Port player took more than 1 contested mark for the whole night and Sicily took 3 pack marks in the 2nd half of the last quarter. He got us back into the game and gave us a huge chance to win, unfortunately hitting the post from 50 out when the game was on his boot. Disappointing sure - but without Sicily we don't have a chance to win it in the first place.

He was also in the top 2 players on the ground in week 1 of finals.

That's obviously ignoring the fact that finals performances have no bearing on AA - which should be a relief to a Carlton (and Curnow) fan ;) .
He is just a troll

You wasted your time giving him a lengthy, considered reply which he didn't deserve

Absolutely agree but I reckon the one who was most stiff was Rowan Marshall, and it seems the umpires certainly agreed.

Brownlow votes:
16- Marshall
13- Gawn
1- Xerri
0- Cameron

How Cameron got in the squad ahead of Marshall will go down as one of life’s great mysteries.

They probably remembered Gawn bending Marshall over and having his way with him for all of us to see. You don’t get deducted Brownlow votes for shit games…and you do get Brownlow votes if your best midfielder is Jack Steele not Nick Daicos

Preface this by saying D’Ambrosio is still a very good player & this isn’t an attack on his skill or ability.

But with the results of the Hawks B&F coming through placing him 10th (albeit tight in the rankings)…

Does that not just prove how ridiculous the recency bias & media clamouring to be the first to announce “well akshually Champion Data have him as the top winger in the comp!” was? We could all recognise he lifted with the Hawks - but his season just wasn’t AA standard. Imagine Nick Daicos misses out because in 2024 they decide you HAVE to have a wing, and they choose a guy who wasn’t even top 9 players at his own club! The Hawks were good, but they weren’t Geelong 2007 good. They weren’t even Sydney 2024 good.

The recency bias for his performances in the last 6-8 weeks was staggering and I’m very glad they ignored it in the end and didn’t pick him. I’m sure as he builds seasons into his body his performance might rival Gulden/Jaicos 2023, but 2024 was not the AA year. It just wasn’t.

Preface this by saying D’Ambrosio is still a very good player & this isn’t an attack on his skill or ability.

But with the results of the Hawks B&F coming through placing him 10th (albeit tight in the rankings)…

Does that not just prove how ridiculous the recency bias & media clamouring to be the first to announce “well akshually Champion Data have him as the top winger in the comp!” was? We could all recognise he lifted with the Hawks - but his season just wasn’t AA standard. Imagine Nick Daicos misses out because in 2024 they decide you HAVE to have a wing, and they choose a guy who wasn’t even top 9 players at his own club! The Hawks were good, but they weren’t Geelong 2007 good. They weren’t even Sydney 2024 good.

The recency bias for his performances in the last 6-8 weeks was staggering and I’m very glad they ignored it in the end and didn’t pick him. I’m sure as he builds seasons into his body his performance might rival Gulden/Jaicos 2023, but 2024 was not the AA year. It just wasn’t.
I agree that the squad and not the team was probably the correct call but not sure B&F's should be the ultimate guide - they can definately throw up some unusual results at times. Just using the count you are referring to as an example, with all due respect to him, I don't think many would have had Jarman Impey in our top 3 players this season and Sicily (who many believe to be our best player and was also in the squad) didn't even make top 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back