Autopsy 2024 Round 1 Blues hold on in yet another heartstopper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Carroll. Equal 2nd most prolific mid for us with 20 touches. Has a touch of class and poise around the ball. Is growing and growing with each game under his belt. From the footage in the rooms after the game you can see Cripps has taken Carroll under his wing and loves him.
That left boot ckearing kick into forward 50 is golden!
I’ll take his rushed and controlled kicks!

Jack Carroll. Equal 2nd most prolific mid for us with 20 touches. Has a touch of class and poise around the ball. Is growing and growing with each game under his belt. From the footage in the rooms after the game you can see Cripps has taken Carroll under his wing and loves him.
A lot to like about Jack's game again. Got caught on his right foot once and clearly had no clue. Always amazes me full time footballers can't kick on their non-preferred. Especially contested players.

Cerra has a seriously nice non-preferred. Gov did a 55m roost on his left. Do we have many others?

When coaching at junior levels the AFL types like to drum home to the coaches the main thing to teach the kids is how to kick. They don't say much about non-preferred though. Not sure many of the kids dedicate enough hours to practicing these days. Too many hours dedicated to computer games, phones, youtube, tictok, etc.

Agree. Tough on Cunners who did some nice things and was very clean late.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our half-forward flankers:

Cunners 12 disposals
Kennedy 13
Fog 11
Cotters 10
Owies 9
Fantasia 9

It's a thankless position to play as nobody ever gets high disposals in our setup. I thought Cunners was the better of that group and lead them for metres gained and disposal efficiency though Owies was great with 2 goals.

Watched the game through Bintang goggles. Found it to be a really hard watch.

We looked by far the better team throughout the night and dominated in all areas in the second quarter, yet still down at 1/2 time.

Ugly, ugly game. Few highlights. Plenty of horrible mistakes. But the thing that stood out was how selfish we looked. Thought quite a few players went away from our team-first ethos. Main culprit - C Curnow.

Take the win. Re-set over the next two weeks.

Still torn on what to make of last night. Richmond threw everything at us and they were bloody brave but we came away with an (ugly) win purely down to a few moments of class plus Cripps ever present awesomeness. Gov was good apart from a couple of blunders, Kemp has work to do an Cerra needs to step up to last years form.

Also taking into account the emotions running high after last week and the toll of coming from so far back to win against a quality side. They are elite footballers but also human.

Still I want to see is us start rinsing teams like last year against Port, Hawks, Suns, Freo over there and to a lesser extent West Coast. Voss was good in his presser, he wasn't happy, he will care about the team, that's obvious but I'm sure he read them the riot act.

I see similar to our early season win last year against the Giants where it was an ugly game where we came away with the chocolates but wouldn't watch it again.

Looking forward to seeing Motts back, what E Hollands can bring and most importantly getting a key defensive wall that is Weiters back in.

Ill take the win but bit of a hollow feeling.

And for my gameday posting, my curse strikes again, don't take it personally fellow Blue boys and girls but as soon as I post we are done we turn it around. I'm going to keep doing it if it means we win :cool:
Rd1 let’s just enjoy winning. It’s been a whils

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but this post is objectively one of the worst I've ever read.

Big O and Nank's hitout average was 4th and 5th in the league last year. TDK beat Nank for hitouts tonight and was almost level with O last week. He beat Oscar for hitout to advantage % last week too. That's a pretty solid starting point.

He would normally have nailed that first set shot and would have had 2 goals to go with it but the goal he did kick gave us the lead. Huge pressure. What a player. Named in the best in most independent reviews I've read and you're ranting about his game? Maybe take another look at the game / stats / anything.

I came across the original post and glad I came across this reply. I was at the game and didn’t get a clear sense of what happened in the ruck battle and took the OP’s take at face value. Thanks for clarifying.

A lot to like about Jack's game again. Got caught on his right foot once and clearly had no clue. Always amazes me full time footballers can't kick on their non-preferred. Especially contested players.

Cerra has a seriously nice non-preferred. Gov did a 55m roost on his left. Do we have many others?

When coaching at junior levels the AFL types like to drum home to the coaches the main thing to teach the kids is how to kick. They don't say much about non-preferred though. Not sure many of the kids dedicate enough hours to practicing these days. Too many hours dedicated to computer games, phones, youtube, tictok, etc.
I recall hearing some where last year that junior coaches were not encouraging players to work on their non preferred side. Being two sided always provides more options.

I recall hearing some where last year that junior coaches were not encouraging players to work on their non preferred side. Being two sided always provides more options.
When I was coaching juniors we had at least 10 minutes every night of non-preferred drills.

It was quite hilarious but it did help a few that practiced in their own time as well.

Teaching them to bounce with the opposite was a big key to it

It was very rewarding to see the kids use their opposite side in a game when they needed to.

Last edited:
Just watched the replay again and there’s no doubt Voss is trying to add another ‘layer’ to our game plan with this run and gun style ala pies last year especially through the midfield.

Forward chains and handballs,different ways to score not just at stoppages/clearances.

Might take awhile before we get it all together.

Plays like Pendlebury…. who by the way apparently played Basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cunners 12 disposals
Kennedy 13
Fog 11
Cotters 10
Owies 9
Fantasia 9

It's a thankless position to play as nobody ever gets high disposals in our setup. I thought Cunners was the better of that group and lead them for metres gained and disposal efficiency though Owies was great with 2 goals.

Cuningham was actually rated 4th highest for our team against the Tigers

#4 Rated Carlton Player
12 Disposals (83.3% Eff)
4 Contested, 3 Intercepts
4 Ground Ball Gets, 1 Clearance
2 Marks, 3 Tackles (1 Forward 50)
3 Score Involvements, 1 Score Launch
2 Inside 50s, 1 Rebound 50
224 Metres Gained

It is indeed a difficult position but we also have depth there so if they aren’t able to get involved they will be replaced with Martin, Hollands and Durdin outside the 22

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cunners 12 disposals
Kennedy 13
Fog 11
Cotters 10
Owies 9
Fantasia 9

Cunners was clearly the best out of that group. Also laced out that left foot pass to Charlie in the last. Charlie of course messed it up. He was the cleanest out of that lot and had good breakaway speed. Surely ahead of Fantasia, Durdin and Kennedy for that role.

Last edited:
As a lot of others have said, it's great that we're still winning even though we didn't play anywhere near our best. Bloody nervy last few minutes but damn its good to beat the Tigers.

One thing that really stood out to me throughout the game was our ability to win the ball in tight and work it out to the outside with a lot of really quick handballs. One thing that was really impressive about it was our desire to draw the man in and then release the handball to give the next player more time to find the right option. It will be interesting to see how that stands up against some of the stronger teams in the competition.

Our willingness to look for and find the option through the corridor was also great

Another stand out was our ability to stop the Tigers transition from half back. There were certainly a few times where the Tigers were their own worst enemy with poor disposal or over disposing the ball, but we seem to be benefiting from our wingers covering defensively and the defence setting up early.

Charlie certainly didn't have the best game and could have finished with at least two more goals but gee he saved us in that final few minutes playing as the spare defender. Another note was that we didn't allow Richmond to number up as they tried to send someone back to even it up and it was noticeable at the game watching the players organise themselves.

A minor thing that I noticed is that I don't think we go back far enough off the mark. I back Saad in to beat his opponent for speed nine times out of ten but gee he gets close to the man on the mark when wheeling around.

One last comment but people were behaving like absolute d***heads in the bay I was sitting in yelling and arguing with each other. Honestly embarrassing stuff

When I was coaching juniors we had at least 10 minutes every night of non-preferred drills.

It was quite hilarious but it did help a few that practiced in their own time as well.

Teaching them to bounce with the opposite was a big key to it

It was very rewarding to see the kids use their opposite side in a game when they needed to.

Only thing is that the jump in speed to AFL level, and the consequences for error, is so massive, that I can totally understand why players shy away from their non-preferred foot

It's one thing to be able to kick on your weak side at junior level or training. Quite another to do so in an AFL game when there is chaos all around you, 85,000 screaming fans, and the opposition has a spare man behind the ball and you have to thread a needle with your kick or risk an embarrassing turnover that will probably lead to a goal the other way...

Unless you are an utterly sublime kick on your weak foot, far better to stick with the strong side and look to handball or clear space when in traffic IMO.

Cunners was clearly the best our of that group. Also laced out that left foot pass to Charlie in the last. Charlie of course messed it up. He was the cleanest out of that lot and had good breakaway speed. Surely ahead of Fantasia, Durdin and Kennedy for that role.
I think Cunners was pretty handy in the last overall. Actually used his pace and power a few times and seemed like he'd upped his intensity. If we could just keep him in the game more often...

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Round 1 Blues hold on in yet another heartstopper

Back