Game Day 2024 Round 21 Port Adelaide v. Swans 3rd August @ Adelaide Oval 7:30 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We’ve lost 4 of the last 5.

The injury list has grown.

Our free-flowing game style has been extinguished by opposition coaches.

We’re playing an in-form opponent we haven’t beaten in nearly a decade.

At their home ground.

At near full strength.

Someone please remind me why we’ll win this?
Francis is in, that's why.
He played in Rounds 10, 11 & 12 against Freo away, Carlton at home & Bulldogs away.
We won all of those games.
The poor guy has his deficiencies but when he comes in to cover for an injury down back he does his role.
Then the injured player comes back in & he is first one out.
He hasn't been a part of the 4 losses in 5 weeks so I'm counting on the guy to have a crack & I for one won't be hounding any errors he makes after watching first picked players turn it over regularly in the last 6 or so weeks.

Positive thinking.
But we'll still lose because of the output we have been getting from our "star" mids & big forwards.
It won't be because of Francis only.

This is a huge test for us. Out of form, playing a side that needs to make finals and whom we haven't beaten in a long time, with a nasty injury list. I'd even take a close loss, but winning would really change the narrative around us.

Because we are Swans. And Swans fight together [don't fact check me].

Just when you think they’re about to tear apart, Swans fight together.

And when Dixon blows hard and the ump is black, white and teal, Swans fight together.

When Ricciuto is crowing from the boundary and the Power are spinnin’ in circles without getting done HTB…Swans fight together.

And when everyone says it can’t be done, Hinkley's Port are very gettable after a few wins to get them comfortable.

Quack… quack… quack… quack… quack!

Oops, I mean:

Trumpet… trumpet… honk… honk… honk!

At their home ground.

At near full strength.

Now is not the time for logic

Swans by 26

Call me crazy but my prediction is that swans come out breathing fire, up at quarter time and half time, port then start challenging in the third and start of fourth, before the swans class shines late for a 26 point win - but it feels more like a hard fought 8 point win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to wonder why we recruited Hamling when he still can't get a game.
It's fairly straight forward.

We have TMac who is possibly one concussion away from retirement. Rampe who is nearing the end. Melican with his injury history.

Hamling was brought in as KPD depth, and potentially more with the above question marks.

Francis was just going better earlier in the season, so Hamling was given the KPF role because of a lack of other options. It makes sense why we bring Francis in, since he's actually playing in the role at the moment. Can question why he (Francis) didn't come in against the Dogs, but there's no surprise here.

At their home ground.

At near full strength.

We have not won against Port since 2016. I was at the Port game at Adelaide in 2022. We were terrible that day. That was the day Pugilistic Pete went Berzerk & started lining up ambulances for his ex teammates. We were never really in that game after half time. We might have put in a few minutes in the last where we looked dangerous but we gave the ball up in our forward line far too easily by just bombing. Aliir & Co had a ball.

We were killed in the mids that day. Made to look very ordinary. Something that happened again in the GF. Port would have won by more if it wasn't for their inability to score or kick goals from entries & our backs.

We need to bring the A fame or not bother going. Because Port play really well at home. They revel in the Psycho Port Magpies fans who will find huge voice if we allow their footy team to take charge. Even though we have won more than we have lost at the venue 8-5, one was against a Melbourne team on Gather round, so take that out. That makes 7-5 & let's face it Crows were far worse than us in their rebuild. We have lost all our Port games there.

I know it is time to change history. I think our blokes actually have to want the pill this week & have to work hard. I have gotten the feeling in the last 5 weeks that our blokes think they only gave to be out there to win. No effort, or a half effort will do. Our bursts will beat anyone. Well 4 losses proves they don't. The pressure rating for all our losses shows we only put pressure on for 2 quarters. The other two quarters our pressure drops to unacceptable levels. We need a game where we maintain pressure for a whole four quarters

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

We need to bring the A fame or not bother going. Because Port play really well at home.
Warner, Gulden, Heeney, Blakey can all certainly bring the "A fame". Hopefully they stand up from the start and when it gets tough.

Port are 7-4 at Adelaide Oval this season, including 4-3 at night. 3 of those wins were by under 2 goals. They didn't look great against the Tigers 2 weeks ago, before kicking away late.

You have to wonder why we recruited Hamling when he still can't get a game.

Because he was cheap and they figured he'd be a good enough cover in case our whole defence went down with injury. Not sure why they turned him into a mediocre VFL forward, but I assume they have their reasons. Maybe they don't think he's good enough to play as a key defender anymore. Not sure what his fitness is like either. He has spent an awful long time on the sidelines.

And you’ve averaged about 20 posts a day !! legend status for sure. Do you get to be a mod now ? Apprenticeship served ?

No thanks !!!!!! I don't need to read Bedfords hourly complaints

Because he was cheap and they figured he'd be a good enough cover in case our whole defence went down with injury. Not sure why they turned him into a mediocre VFL forward, but I assume they have their reasons. Maybe they don't think he's good enough to play as a key defender anymore. Not sure what his fitness is like either. He has spent an awful long time on the sidelines.
Pretty sure he has been playing the past 2-3 seasons largely interrupted now.

They played/are playing him forward for a few reasons, none of which mean he wouldn't be considered for the senior team (after Francis):

a) Most importantly, we have no other key forwards at VFL level, and having someone to kick to, create contests and kick goals is important for the development of others, and for us to be competitive, thus helping the development of others. Buller has had injuries, Reid was back for a little while and then retired. Ladhams hadn't been good as a forward, until he kicked a few last game. McAndrew and Green chime in for a goal occasionally, but are not the same. Buddy going meant that there was no longer one of the 3 guys playing seniors, usually at VFL level.

b) We want to develop Snell, Edwards in defence for the future. We can't play them, plus Francis, Arnold (when fit) AND Hamling in the same defence. We know what Hamling can do down back.

c) He's justified the position change, moreso than you might expect more experienced KPDs such as Francis or Arnold if they were thrown down there. Francis has played forward before obviously, but he was in better form at the time, so they figured Hamling was the better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back