Review 2024 Second Elimination Final: Box Hill Hawks v Williamstown, 31 August 2024, 3.00pm @ Box Hill City Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hawks enjoyed a week off and watched as the VFL played its wild card round last weekend. The Seagulls defeated Richmond by 66 points to win their way through to the finals proper and will travel to Box Hill City Oval for the game, which will be staged all on the same day (Saturday) with the other VFL finals as the AFL takes a week off to prepare for September action.

Box Hill hosted Williamstown at the end of July. Last time out, the Hawks prevailed by 22 points over Williamstown, kicking 13.12.90 to 10.8.68. At one point in the third quarter, the Hawks had the lead out to almost 40 points, but the Seagulls pegged Box Hill back to go into the final quarter just six points behind. However, Box Hill kicked four goals to two in the final quarter to seal the victory over Williamstown. Harry Morrison kicked three for Box Hill, while Clay Tucker, Jasper Scaife and Jake Arundell kicked two goals each for Box Hill.

Morrison paired his three goals for Box Hill with 33 disposals, to lead all-comers in that department. Cam Mackenzie had 29 disposals, while Jai Serong and 28. In fact, Box Hill dominated possession, having 360 disposals to Williamstown's 296 for the game, 54 inside-50s to 44 for Williamstown and having 46 clearances to 28.

Should be a tremendous game. Teams to come later in the week.

Hope we field as many hawks as possible, including Morrison, Mackenzie, Maginess. Will be good preparation for the bulldogs game, as the last few weeks have been of little contest.

Hope we field as many hawks as possible, including Morrison, Mackenzie, Maginess. Will be good preparation for the bulldogs game, as the last few weeks have been of little contest.
With a six day break, we are unlikely to play anyone who played in Round 24, being the likely team for next week. CJ likely to play half a game.

With a six day break, we are unlikely to play anyone who played in Round 24, being the likely team for next week. CJ likely to play half a game.
We'll see.
Would want CJ to play at least 3/4's. Not sure what half a game will achieve. It is a finals game and it'll benefit the seniors the further they go.

Really interesting that Tucker is an emergency. First time in recent memory I've seen a HFC listed player put in the emergencies.

Ins: N. Reeves, C. Jiath, C. Wingard, J. Serong, B. Macdonald, Ed Phillips

Outs: C. Moraes, A. Mathieson, K. Agosta, D. Wood, A. Stefanakis, C. Tucker

Squad: 7. N Reeves, 9. C Jiath, 20. C Wingard, 21. C Stephens, 24. D Grainger-Barras, 25. J Ward, 26. B Ryan, 27. W McCabe, 29. J Serong, 32. F Maginness, 37. Eth Phillips, 38. M Ramsden, 39. J Scaife, 40. S Mitchell, 42. B Macdonald, 43. J O’Sullivan, 44. H Hustwaite, 51. N Philactides, 55. C Porter, 57. J Thorpe, 60. Ed Phillips, 62. S Horner, 70. J Arundell

Emergencies: 45. C Tucker, 59. J Rule, 65. A Stefanakis, 68. D Wood, 72. A Mathieson, 73. S Amoroso, 77. B De Bolfo, 78. K Agosta

Really interesting that Tucker is an emergency. First time in recent memory I've seen a HFC listed player put in the emergencies.

Ins: N. Reeves, C. Jiath, C. Wingard, J. Serong, B. Macdonald, Ed Phillips

Outs: C. Moraes, A. Mathieson, K. Agosta, D. Wood, A. Stefanakis, C. Tucker

Squad: 7. N Reeves, 9. C Jiath, 20. C Wingard, 21. C Stephens, 24. D Grainger-Barras, 25. J Ward, 26. B Ryan, 27. W McCabe, 29. J Serong, 32. F Maginness, 37. Eth Phillips, 38. M Ramsden, 39. J Scaife, 40. S Mitchell, 42. B Macdonald, 43. J O’Sullivan, 44. H Hustwaite, 51. N Philactides, 55. C Porter, 57. J Thorpe, 60. Ed Phillips, 62. S Horner, 70. J Arundell

Emergencies: 45. C Tucker, 59. J Rule, 65. A Stefanakis, 68. D Wood, 72. A Mathieson, 73. S Amoroso, 77. B De Bolfo, 78. K Agosta

Good to see CJ and Wingard as ins.
Strange about Tucker, thought he was starting to show something, especially with some nice grabs in the forward line.
Also see that Finn is in the squad, but no Morrison or Mackenzie.

I guess with finals on the line, BHH/HFC feel that Reeves and Ramsden is enough.

To me, doesn't bode well for Tucker though for the upcoming list management decisions with tight list spots, and having now Jaime Uhr-Henry as a similar aged raw ruckmen who doesn't need a conventional list post. Maybe depends on if Reeves remains on the list in 2025, though I'd imagine if Reeves goes we'd be looking for a SSP pickup who's more physically ready for senior football than where Tucker is at?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope they retain Tucker for at least another year. He looks to have improved a lot, is only a kid and we all know rucks take a while to develop. Hopefully, not being listed in the team is due to team balance with Reeves returning, as we should be going all out for the win.

I hope they retain Tucker for at least another year. He looks to have improved a lot, is only a kid and we all know rucks take a while to develop. Hopefully, not being listed in the team is due to team balance with Reeves returning, as we should be going all out for the win.
Tucker might be on the slippery slope...

Matthew Broderick GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2024 Second Elimination Final: Box Hill Hawks v Williamstown, 31 August 2024, 3.00pm @ Box Hill City Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back